Visitor Reviews - North Rhinns Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Dumfries and Galloway > Site Reviews

North Rhinns Camping
Glengyre Cottage
Near Leswalt
Stranraer
Dumfries and Galloway   (Browse area)
DG9 0RG   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01776 853630 07809 649244

5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  5m  5m

Open: Friday 27th March 2015 To End October .

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  14 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Ntulele 3 reviews from this member

Had booked to stay here for the weekend whilst my husband was over in Ulster. I had previously booked earlier in the year and had to cancel at short notice. I had paid in advance but they credited me so that I would have a reduction if I managed to get there this camping season. I thought that was very fair. I was in plot 4 with ehu which was very sheltered. The weather was very poor over the weekend - 40mph winds and stormy with lots of rain but the plot was sheltered from the worst of the wind by the trees. We liked the site so much we extended our stay for a further 4 nights - and the weather improved! Clean, quiet site. Personal picnic table. Lovely perimeter walk for the dog. One large shower with plenty of room to get dry and dressed. 2 large toilet/sink cubicles. Plenty of hot water, soap. Nice washing up area with lots of magazines, books, maps things to do. Really useful fridge and freezer to keep ice-box continually cool. There was even washing up liquid and tea towels - although we had our own. Very warm and friendly owners - who put some large home grown courgettes out one day - free for the taking. We barbecued our share. Kath and Richard were always ready to suggest local walks etc. As I said to Richard when we left, 'Don't change anything!'

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fionas dad 1 review from this member

Had a really enjoyable stay at this campsite in May.

Lovely site with quiet and well maintained individual pitches in their own secluded area. Bags of room and we easily accommodated separate tents for us and our two daughters on the same pitch.

The small shower block and kitchen was excellent and spotlessly clean.

We enjoyed a spot of glamping having brought with us, not only great food to cook but an electric hook up line for our pitch, an electric kettle and our own hot water bottles. A warm and cosy time was had by all.

The owners were fantastic and very welcoming lending us a spare bicycle (to replace our daughter's one) and a touring map to explore the area and have a great lunch at the Corsewell Lighthouse Hotel. The surrounding area is both beautiful and interesting. The roads are fairly quiet, the main drawback being that because they are so quiet, whatever traffic there is travels at some speed.

However we had a great bank holiday and even fitted in a trip to the Titanic Museum in Belfast, a short day hop across the Irish Sea.

Well done on establishing a great site. We intend to be back.

Reviewer: Hoylake 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 4 day stay. We had a lovely time in a tremendous location.

Our tent was bigger than the owner had anticipated but we found a great spot for our stay.

One of the best features of the site is how sheltered you are from the elements. My friend who was nearby left his campsite and went home as the wind was too strong while I sat out with a campfire watching the smoke rise straight up.

Facilities are excellent, my wife and kids enjoyed the book swap.

If you enjoy the night sky its rural location is excellent.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bbobby 1 review from this member

Spent 4 nights at North Rhinns, what a little jewel in the crown.

Open just over a year the owners add all of the little touches that make camping so much more pleasant, ie: copious amounts of hot water, proper towels refreshed every day in the 2 large very clean toilets also liquid hand soap, 2 sinks with drying rack and washing up liquid if you forget your own, Large walk-in wet room with free electric shower.

The site consists of 10 secluded pitches 2 being gravel hard standing for motor homes electric hook up on these 2, every pitch is surrounded by trees/bushes giving protection from wind etc, the pitch I was on was a little stony make pegging out a little difficult, the site has underground drainage so flooding will never be a problem. Will definitely recommend and I will be back.

I cant complete this review with out mentioning 2 eateries recommended by the owners.

1. The Mariners in Drummore approx 25 miles at bottom of peninsular.

Dont be put off by the decor. This place is run by a supa tuff biker her food is amazing try it you wont be disappointed.

2 Blue Peter Hotel Kirkcolm, once again super pub in a lovely village with a warm welcome excellent food and real ale all at a very good price and generous portions

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Sisterblue 2 reviews from this member

I booked in for 3 nights for the May bank holiday weekend. The weather was great, windy but sunny. Plenty of shelter on the site the. The owners are very helpful and helps make it a lovely stay. Facilities amount to a nice little toilet and shower block - great shower - I always appreciate that! You are never far away from gorgeous scenery and good coastal walks here. Would visit again, and do recommend. Oh, and it's probably suitable for anyone really, I was there on my own in a campervan and happily spent the weekend in the sun with my nose in a book. Campfires also allowed and catered for :) Can't fault it, small, simple, no fuss, friendly and well thought out.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Usanddogs 1 review from this member

We stayed at North Rhinns Campsite over Easter for seven wonderful nights and we will definitely go again. The campsite is beautifully quiet with new and very clean facilities and we parked our camper and set up a tent within well maintained trees which provided shelter from the wind. We were made to feel very welcome by the owners who generously offered their help (as we were somewhat under prepared for the Easter cold snap) by lending us blankets, a heater, logs and kindling, and even a jacket for our dog, as well as chocolate treats for us and numerous doggie biscuits.

The campsite is a great base to explore the coastline and there are breathtaking walks and views to be enjoyed. We can thoroughly recommend North Rhinns Camping and want to say a big 'thank you' for the hospitality we received!

Previous     14 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dumfries and Galloway   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers