Visitor Reviews - Acorn Camping & Glamping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (East) > Site Reviews

Acorn Camping & Glamping
Rock Cottage
Prideaux
Par Fowey (one Mile To The Eden Project)
Cornwall (East)   (Browse area)
PL24 2SS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  10m  5m  1m  10m

Pitches: 15 tents & 3 pitched bell tents & 6 Hobbit huts
Open: March To November

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  8 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Oortrageous 1 review from this member

Please note, this review is strictly in relation to the camping experience offered, as I have not taken advantage of any of the glamping offerings. Also, all of my time on the site has been out of season, so it may not be most indicative of the experience you'd get in high summer when I imagine like most Cornish sites, it gets mobbed. I used to live only 5 miles down the road from this site, and probably had about 10 nights in total here between January and May this year.

With that out of the way, a little background information! I camp in a 4 metre bell tent with stove. For anyone using a similar set up, there were no complaints from the owners (it's less common now, but I have been turned away from sites in the past because of the wood burner, so worth mentioning!), and they also sell well seasoned wood which is responsibly sourced on site. The owners are the typical down to earth souls you tend to encounter in these out of the way pitches, and they couldn't be more friendly or helpful. There are also communal areas for having camp fires, which is lovely and I can imagine at busier times is a nice source of socialising - I actually never saw another camper in the time I used the site!

The big selling point of this site is it's location. You're camping in the middle of a World Heritage Site, and it's seriously amazing. There's some top quality woodland walks, but in truth most of the time I've spent at this site has been just sitting down with a pair of binoculars and enjoying the wildlife, and at night the stars. There's very little light pollution here, as you're well shielded by the valley. If you bring a small telescope on your camping holidays, this place is a treat. I did a night here in a bivvi bag next to a big open fire, and you can really feel the forest around you, I know we're venturing into the realms of the hippy but you can feel the energy of the place :o)

I've scored the site facilities 5/10. This isn't indicative of the quality of what's there (it's clean and modern), but more a reflection of the fact that the facilities really do just extend to washing, showering and toilets. If you enjoy more lively sites with entertainment, restaurants etc on site then this site will most certainly not be the one for you (consider Pentewan Sands - I've not stayed there, but have used the pub and restaurants there on occasion and it's very nice). However, if you're looking for a nice quiet base to explore Cornwall or laze then this site gets a big thumbs up!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: ElizabethT 2 reviews from this member

This campsite is an extremely basic site for traditional camping only. I am not commenting on their 'glamping' business.

The access is very tricky & hard to find down a very narrow road with long gaps between passing places.

When we stayed there was not space on any day to turn round in the tiny site carpark so the access road needed to be reversed out onto going in the wrong direction, find somewhere wide enough to turn round and go back. So only come if you are confident reversing your car as some other road users refused to reverse.

The site facilities had everything we needed as long as you are happy with how basic they are.

There is a 'shed' with 2 separate small toilet cubicles including a sink (I assume these sinks are the 'washrooms') and 2 separate shower cubicles. All of which open their doors directly on to the field. There is no lighting, toilet paper or soap etc, so take your own!

In the woods there was also another shed with a sign saying fridge freezer on the door where you can freeze ice blocks etc

The cold water washing up area is just sinks under a roof with no walls.

The communal firepit area was really nice.

The facilities for children are for them to play in the natural environment and enjoy being outside in the woods & field. No other facilities.

All told as long as you are happy with how basic the facilities are and how in the middle of nowhere it feels you will like the site. It is definitely a back to basics camping experience.

Pros are the proximity to Eden Project, very quiet & peaceful & reasonably priced for Cornwall (although that's prob a case of you get what you pay for)

All told from a family of tent campers who like basic, quiet sites - this site was too basic for us with very difficult access!

But that will depend on your requirements for a site!

Reviewer: Raquel03uk 6 reviews from this member

Just returned from a great week camping here. From original enquiry, the owners were really helpful. Our pitch was ample with space for the car and didn't feel cramped.

Area is great, Luxlyan Valley beautiful and well worth a walk along.

Positives - You are able to have fire which is great at the end of the day, to enjoy a drink & chat.

The showers - once understood, were fine & plenty of hot water.

Activities for families & children great

Tiny Negative -As only 2 showers, mornings were busy, but we learnt to wait until later, timed it right and not a problem.

All in all, a great place to stay and we hope to return soon.

Reviewer: Sagoa001 2 reviews from this member

We have just come back from our stay at Acorn camping and glamping.

We (me, my wife and our two sons, both under 10 years of age) stayed for 4 nights in our Outwell Nevada M tent.

An excellent site for the true camper. Ria and Tony, the campsite owners, were friendly and helpful. They went that extra mile to ensure your stay was comfortable.

The site is set in a lovely part of Cornwall very close St Austell, and is walking distance from the Eden Project. The toilet/shower block was clean and modern, but beware not shower at peak times to avoid low water pressure!

There are plenty of woodlands on site for the children to explore and keep them occupied.

Highly recommended! Next time we will be staying for 10 nights!

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Harrydavis1994 1 review from this member

I have recently returned from staying two nights in the hobbit huts which are a part of the acorn campsite. We booked to stay due to the fact me and my girlfriend were watching one of the Eden sessions, at the Eden project. The campsite is only a short walk away from the Eden project which made it forever more appealing. I knew upon arrival that it was going to be a very enjoyable stay as we were greeted by two lovely people: they were quick to show us around the campsite and were very knowledgeable about the surrounding area. We were then shown our hobbit it which was so much more than expect with cutlery pots pans and a camping stove provided, there was also a private shower block and toilet. It was all extremely clean. I would definitely look to return here and would recommend the site to all, particularly if you are wishing to visit the Eden project.

Thanks again Harry.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Chloe h 1 review from this member

We stayed here in one of the Hobbit Huts for a walking weekend. The huts are amazing with everything you could need for your stay (you need to take bedding, toiletries and a gas canister for the stove). They provide everything else-cooking stove, pots, plates, mugs and cutlery, even rechargeable lanterns and pegs. The location is amazing and instead of cramming people in there are only 3 huts. We sat outside and were not overlooked at all. The mattresses were comfortable and we all slept well. Each hut has a private shower room with toilet and basin which was spotless and nicer than some hotels I've stayed in. Acorn camping is located about 5 mins walk from the Saints Way trail and a great place for a walking holiday. This is a brilliant place to stay and the Hobbit Huts are a real treat.

Previous     8 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (East)   -   Search for a site

Win a OLPRO Caravan Cover 3 sets of AutoSock car snow socks to be won

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 2017 - 19th to 22nd January
A huge choice of the latest model caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes on display from over 200 exhibitors ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016

UKCampsite.co.uk
24 Daily Prizes and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 289.99!
Open Today's Window!