Visitor Reviews - Highlands End Holiday Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Highlands End Holiday Park
Dorset   (Browse area)
DT6 6AR   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01308 422139  or  01308 426947

1m  1m  5m   1m  5m

Open: February To November

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale  Glamping

Reviews:  100 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Baileybus 21 reviews from this member

Just returned after 4 night break. Beautiful location with stunnung views and lovely walks. Facilities were clean with good flow of water in showers. Staff were friendly and helpful. Local village of Eype was pretty. Had a meal at New Inn which was good but thought it was expensive as portions weren't very big. The walk along the coast path to Charlestown is worth doing, together with a visit to the Anchor Inn. We will return.

Reviewer: Baileyjake 5 reviews from this member

This is my second stay at highlands end. I returned because it's such a well maintained site in a great location. As others have said the wash rooms are great the showers clean and warm.

Frustratingly though the nearest wash room to my pitch, fully serviced hard standing, north rye acres, was closed for cleaning between 10. 30 and 12. 00 every day. The guys cleaning were happy to point me in the direction of the further away and older block. I never saw this closed for cleaning. On time I ignored the closed signs and took a shower anyway. There was no cleaning going on, it had been done and the guys were no where to be seen.

The swimming is extremely expensive. I chose to pay each time we swam which cost about 32 for 4 visits and that's with a 3 year old who swims for free. When my youngest is 4 then I guess the 45 will be justified.

The site is very exposed and both times I have visited it has been windy. But last week the wind hit 47 mph at 3am. Some awnings (poles) ended up in the skip, some of my neighbors took awnings down and 2 left completely before dawn. The tent field was virtually empty by the morning. I think a lot left in the night. It was quite frightening. A warden was cruising round in a landrover at this time checking if everyone was ok and offering to help.

Unfortunately it rained rather a lot but that's not highlands ends fault. It's still a good site and I would return again.

The club house is quiet and has a good playground in the garden. Beer was expensive (4. 95 for a pint of peroni) they serve food but I didn't get to sample it although it looked ok.

The playground by the pitches is also well maintained and has a lot of climbing frames etc. And seems to be checked daily by the maintenance guys.

Reviewer: Subry 4 reviews from this member

Fantastic Site - one of the best we have stayed on. Really easy to find and access is good, nice spacious pitches with views to die for. We had a sea view in every direction - what a way to start the day! Toilets and showers were always spotlessly clean and we never had to queue. Onsite pool was lovely and never too busy, shop was ok. We ate at Martin's a couple of times, food was a bit pricey but probably the norm for the area, desserts were lovely. West Bay is great, everything you'd want from a traditional seaside resort. The site has a great clifftop location with short (but steep) walks either into West Bay or Eype beach. It was windy while we were there but we were in quite a sheltered spot on North Rye Acres and it didn't bother us, but we did see a few tents struggling in the winds.

Reviewer: Bessy525 39 reviews from this member

Spent 1 week at this site and had a great time, booked a gravel pitch which gives you a great chance of a sea view, no reserved pitches just go to appropriate area of the site and choose from the available pitches. Being high up offers superb views of West Bay (Broadchurch) and Epye downside is your very exposed to the elements. 10 amp hook up across the site level pitches on gravel some hard standing sloped needing good sized levelling blocks.

Facilities kept clean and surprisingly given the site was full the 2 shower blocks coped with demand only waited once for a shower during the 7 days.

Staff very helpful and always willing to offer advise on local area. Didn't really use the club house quite dated but always busy great look at 2 antique fire engines in the dinning area, some site users with families complained about the high cost of using the indoor swimming pool I believe 45.00 per week.

Wifi reception was iffy at best we were close to mast but really didn't get the access needed very slow broadband speed and paid 15.00 for a weeks access, resorted to the mobile phone as signal was excellent the nearest mast is right on the entrance to the site. Good facilities for the kids dog walking area etc. Freeview reception was excellent. Bridport just down the hill with Morrisons as your best bet for provisions.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rawtenstall 1959 2 reviews from this member

I have just returned from spending a few days at this picturesque camp site and as the sun shone, it could not have been more beautiful.

I arrived fairly late but the bar staff had been informed of my late (8pm) arrival. They were helpful and gave sufficient basic information to get me to the correct pitch. The pitch was flat and dry for my tent and I had a beautiful view from the cliff top vantage point down to the beach. The pitches were spacious so no feeling of being 'on top' of other campers. At night it was quiet, and the low light pollution meant you could see the stars.

The shop had sufficient provisions though I went to Morrison's mostly in the local town (a 7 minute drive away) the showers were clean and warm (even though I went at 9 pm for the shower).

In the day, wanted to watch the tour de France and they set the channel up for me in a sitting room next to the coffee shop and the staff seemed genuinely helpful. The pub/restaurant looked a bit tired and could do with a bit of an upgrade. The pool looked lovely but a bit pricey if you wanted to take yourself and children daily. I camped alone and felt very safe there. Thank you.

Reviewer: Brooksuk 7 reviews from this member

We stayed for 1 week in August 2014. This is a fantastic campsite, very well maintained, good facilities and superb views across the Dorset coast.

Checking in at reception was easy and the staff were very helpful. We easily found a fantastic pitch on 'North Rye Acres' with a fabulous view of the coast. This was probably the best view we've ever had from our tent.

The tent pitches in North and South Rye acres are fairly exposed to the wind and while we were there some other campers had their tents taken down while they were out due to the high winds (we assume to avoid the tent blowing away or destroying itself). If you choose carefully you can find more sheltered pitches but they come with less great views!

If I had to find any negative points it would be that the site shop could be stocked a little better with 'everyday items' and the bar / restaurant doesn't open until 5pm Monday-Friday (did open all day at weekends) - it was an excellent bar with fantastic children's play area which we thought should be open earlier in the day even if that's just for the school holidays.

If I want to re-visit the Dorset coast again I would definitely come back to Highlands End.

Previous     100 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dorset   -   Search for a site

Win a Buzz Rack Scorpion 2 Bike Carrier Win a CUBO Breeze Inflatable Campervan Awning!

UKCS Meet Camperex 2016 - Liverpool Exhibition Centre 8 - 10th January
Brand new leisure show for touring caravans, motorhomes, campers and park homes. Win tickets!

Coming Soon!