Visitor Reviews - Mill Pond Camping

Mill Pond Camping
New Mains Farm Cottage
Foulden
Berwickshire   (Browse area)
TD15 1UL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  1m  5m  5m   10m  1m

Open: 1 April To 31 September

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: RodMurray 1 review from this member

Stayed here with a pal for one night last weekend. Plus points - Very quiet, proper rural site, tents only as far as I'm aware, warm welcome.

Minus Point - A problem I've encountered on two out of the last three sites I've visited, namely, over-long grass. It may not seem much but if you've cycled 70 miles and managed to arrive with dry footwear intact then it's nice to keep it that way. The grass was wet when we got there which meant by the time we pitched our tents our feet were soaking.

That point aside I can see how lots of people would love this site, it's pretty close to wild camping but with nice hot shower and toilet etc near at hand.

I would stay again but that would be partially due to the location, they're the only show in town in that area and they have have the chance to build a great wee campsite as if you're cycling North or South it's one of the few tent stop offs in the area.

Good site, cut the grass and it'd be great.

Reviewer: Boltonbiker 3 reviews from this member

Stayed 3 nights mid July. Small site probably 5 or 6 tents max. Rural setting on a small holding 5 miles west of Berwick upon Tweed. Quiet site akin to wild camping but with facilities. Flat ground and plenty of choice for pitching tent. Dry and sunny when I stayed so unsure how ground reacts to rain. One shower, clean, powerful and in good order and was the loo. Washing machine - didn't use this so can't comment but looked new. Sink for washing pots etc, plug points for recharging equipment. I arrived on bicycle. Another couple had a car. Space for 4 or 5 cars. Could store bicycle in utility room if required. Lovely people, welcoming and unassuming. £14 per night not cheap but in my view given almost guaranteed peace and quiet and good basic facilities it was value for money. Lots of leaflets on local wildlife and places of interest. Nearest shop probably 20 mins bike away so stock up before you go. Would definitely stay there again. Small site so booking/ phoning beforehand recommended. Within easy reach of Eyemouth, Abbs head, Berwick and Coldstream.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: NycTourist 3 reviews from this member

We stayed one night on our way north cycling into Scotland. We honestly stayed here because it was the only site within our target range for the day. We were very pleasantly surprised.

It is a small site, situated around an old mill pond, and it is tent-only. For us, cycle tourists who had spent many a night in caravan-cluttered sites, finding a gem of a tent-only site like this one was just a wonderful break from the usual.

The owners are quite friendly, and have put the site together with an obvious awareness of the environment and the region's history.

The site has a small amenities block attached to the main farmhouse that is wonderfully adequate. Chirnside is a short cycle away, where there are a few pubs, and a Cooperative Market.

This was one of our favourite sites out of the innumerable sites we stopped at on our recent UK trip.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fernypooh 3 reviews from this member

We visited this site in may and stayed for 5 nights. We were in the borders for the jim clark rally and this was a perfect base. Gorgeous little site, we loved it so much. Late nights, camp fires, friendly sheep and a lovely couple. Best eggs we've ever had from the hens on site. Beautiful location and fab part of the country can't wait to go back.

This is a small site with nice facilities but is fairly basic, but love the fact you can have camp fires made the nights go on for ever!

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gergaskman 2 reviews from this member

I stayed here as one of the very few tent sites around Berwick upon Tweed. I travelled by bus (Service 60) maybe 10 minutes out of Berwick and the driver kindly dropped me at the bottom of the lane (where it also operated as a request stop the next morning). Lovely site. Good basic facilities (but immaculate clean and hot water too - maybe you think that's routine but I'm a wild-camper normally). You can pick your site (only five tents accommodated) on the edge of a large pond. There are some trees to the east of the site but not much greenery this cold, cold spring.

Other than that it's a perfect place to go about having a low-key camp. If you want there are stones for open fires but I just relaxed. Perfect. It's in my Top 10 sites.

My scores: Foulden itself is OK but no amenities (it's the area generally that's special) and work on the facilities wasn't finished when I stayed so a couple of points off for that too.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Argyle 1 review from this member

Great wee site. Lovely owners, lovely pond, lovely chickens and sheep too. Great sunset!

Stayed for one night only - but great spot in smallholding - max 5 pitches - just what you need to chill out.

Good solid facilities - one loo and shower, washing machine - with local produce (eggs etc) on sale I believe. Open fires allowed. What more do you want.

Parents of v young children may worry about large pond as it is not fenced off - but if that ain't a worry it is wonderful.

I dare say we will return!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Berwickshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers