Visitor Reviews - Rubha Phoil Eco Camping

Rubha Phoil Eco Camping
Armadale Pier Road
Ardvasar
Sleat
Isle Of Skye   (Browse area)
IV45 8RS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 1m  1m  1m   1m

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Rik412 2 reviews from this member

We stayed in the Seagull Sanctuary which was a hut/cabin not far from the owners house. There had been a mix up with the booking as children aren't normally allowed here but we were allowed to stay. It is normally for one or two adults. It was very cosy with a small fire/stove, kettle, dishes, table, chairs, bunk bed. After a wet day the stove makes the cabin really warm and cosy.

We had a compost toilet not to far from the cabin which I never seen anyone else use. I was a bit worried about the toilet but there was no smell and it was clean.

We travelled on foot so having the site right at the ferry was perfect. The site is beautiful and peaceful. There is lots of painted signs giving information on the plants and what they do. The walks are great for children and one leads down to the beach where you can view the seals. Small children would need help with the stairs going down to the beach as they are steep at the bottom. My son loved the ducks and the cat that roam about the site. The only criticism of the site is one shower is not enough if it is busy.

The owners and volunteers are very friendly and helpful.

The bus stop is just outside the site which will take you to Portree and Broadford. There is also a cafe and gift shops at the pier. Five minutes walk there is a garage/shop/small cafe, You can get cash back here if needed and some shopping.

If you want to get away from it all and back to nature then this is the place.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Undermanager 1 review from this member

A very interesting place to stay if you are interested in ecological things and handy for the ferry. This is clearly the owner's passion and there are a lot of fascinating areas, like the eco toilets, the use of plants etc. The welcome was warm and the orientation clear. The whole area is wooded. This meant huge numbers of the dreaded mozzie! Maybe I was unlucky on the day I arrived. Bring lots of repellent and a head net. I was camping out of my car. You have to pitch your tent in the wooded area overlooking the sea - very pretty and peaceful. However, you then have to wheelbarrow everything you need over to your tent. Then park the car down near the bottom near the ferry terminal, although the owner did let me keep the car closer to the wood the night I was there after a bit of negotiation. Your tent will be about 5 - 10 minutes walk from the car. If you need to keep popping into your car, this will be a real pain and inconvenient but if you are using a bike or arrive with a rucksack on your back, you should be fine. I was planning to stay longer but left after a day. I didn't feel relaxed about the car set-up or the mozzies.

Date of Visit: November 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Bowkg 3 reviews from this member

We stayed in a wigwam on this site for 2 nights with our three children 6, 4 and 12 months. We arrived at 9pm in the pitch dark. We were shown to our wigwam and then owner disappeared. No site orientation about running water / toilets / showers.

Wigwam was what we expected however the site was not. Perhaps it was our ignorance but we are not familiar with permaculture and what it means.

The toilet was a compost one which I could maybe have coped with if there was flushing one too. No hot water to wash hands and one of them was 'full'

When showers and toilets are advertised I took it to mean proper facilities not a shower in a wooden shack. Not suitable for anyone in November but especially not little ones.

The site itself felt very run down and messy. Fine line between eco friendly and just a mess.

Having said that the woodland walk was good and possibly would be better in the summer. Great for kids to explore. However, even bits of it were broken/ not usable

I feel the way the site has been photographed/advertised is hugely misleading.

This site would be acceptable to only the most avid eco families and not just your average recylcers.

I don't mean to be so critical but just don't want anyone else to find its not what they expected. For 90 I feel we never got value for money :-(

Reviewer: Emmaradio 1 review from this member

This camp site is a true gem. The location is beautifully sheltered with numerous pitches offering total isolation amongst the forest along with sea views.

There is a sheltered communal area as well as numerous spaces for camp fires making this a great camp site for groups as well as families. There's loads of forest to play in and explore as well as a beach, cave and an island packed full of seals within view! We even saw an otter one evening!

Yes, there are composting toilets but please ignore the bad review. They are kept clean and I actually found going in the forest a very pleasant experience! There is an electric shower too so it's not all wild and the owner is really friendly and a really amazing lady for creating such a wonderful place. I highly recommend a visit!

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Lesleyblent 1 review from this member

Please visit this site, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, we stayed only one night here, but plan to return.

The view is stunning, plenty of wildlife, wonderful people, as soon as you are pitched the relaxing begins, the walks here are amazing.

We set our camp fire and sat and chatted watched the sun go down. I did not use the facilities, as we had our own in the camper, but my husband did, he said there is nothing wrong with them.

Thanks for the info and the friendliness.

We were even serenaded to sleep by guitar playing.

Give this site a go, see what they are doing and achieving, it's wonderful.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: C and MW 3 reviews from this member

In my naivete I thought eco-camping meant that the electric hook-up would be powered by renewable energy, but got quite a shock when I realised just what eco-camping means in this case. Maybe compost loos suit some people, but not this reviewer. I was thankful we had our own toilet and washing facilities. I assumed the WC symbol signified flushing toilets, but it would appear to stand for 'Waste container' in this case. I do not want to go into detail about what I saw and smelt when I opened the lid in the compost loo. Suffice to say I was traumatised. There is a shower beside the loo, but I could not make myself go back into that building.

There are two electric hook-ups, thankfully some distance away from the main part of the site, with good views across to Knoydart. Surprisingly, given the eco-emphasis, the posts for the hook-ups are embedded in old tyres filled with concrete, which is not the most environmentally friendly of materials.

The site information should tell people what to expect - it is very misleading.

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Isle Of Skye   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!