Visitor Reviews - Rubha Phoil Eco Camping

Rubha Phoil Eco Camping
Armadale Pier Road
Ardvasar
Sleat
Isle Of Skye   (Browse area)
IV45 8RS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 1m  1m  1m   1m

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  8 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Flowerfairy 4 reviews from this member

I am sad to leave this negative review but we found that the Skye Forest Garden/ Skye Permaculture site to be a terrible disappointment.

We had seen the website and on the strength of it and their permaculture-organic ethos, we made a huge detour at the end of our holiday just to visit them and hoped to have an idyllic couple of days getting back to nature and living simply.

However, we were shocked to find that the place was terribly untidy, run down and over grown. It actually looked like people had been living and littering in the forest, and ruining it. There were plastic pots, dustbins, plant trays, bits of sting/ rope, sticks, bamboo canes and other junk everywhere and clearly these had been in situ for a long while. I have never seen so much tatty old plastic - and it is especially out of place here in a permaclture-organic site, as particularly in a wooded area. Some of the plant info signs were beautifully painted but when the signs are surrounded by the other mess, it just contributed to the look of 'crazy'.

The site that sells itself as 'idyllic' and on its eco-friendly way of life, and is itself a charity aiming to hep others learn about permaculture and living lightly (?!) but in my opinion, the site in no way lives up to this.

I don't doubt that they (once) had good intentions but clearly they have lost their way. The website pictures must be months or years out of date and not at all representative of the site as it is now.

The 'Seagull Sanctuary' hut we were to stay in, was reached through a close neighbour's private land and this area was equally untidy - random wood and planks, pallets, fishing nets, scrap bikes, you name it. This was all visible from the hut and just not what you want or expect to see at a supposed sanctuary!

The hut itself stank of damp and smoke, and was barely habitable. We had been expecting something basic but prepared to a decent, clean standard - they describe it as a beach hut bothy. A garden shed would have been better! The bunk beds had hardly any slats supporting the mattresses. Food such as stock cubes and other unsealed packets had been left out in the open on the shelves which can only attract mice and other critters! Efforts had been made to make it homely - eg a few candles and some ornaments but this does not make up for the basic flaws.

Oddly, they did not leave anything but a few sticks of kindling for the wood burner, but it was suggested we use the electric fan to take the chill off. Not very eco or permaculture - I had expected they would be coppicing wood sustainably from the land.

And I'm all for making do, recycling and re-using but in my opinion, using a small branch to (barely) hold up a (smelly and mildewy) door curtain, is not kitsch, hipster, creative, eco or twee, it is just inadequate.

We had no choice but to stay the night, as we arrived in the evening very tired from driving and could not find any other accommodation, but we left as soon as we could in the morning.

Two good points:

1) The compost toilet near the hut was fine. I did see only it in early twilight though and only used the plastic bucket for a pee! We have no problem being back to nature :o)

2) The neighbour kindly allowed us to leave the car on his land near the hut as my husband had mobility difficulties and could not have walked up the long hill to the site.

It would help if the site described that they are actually up a fairly steep longish, hill and that you are expected to take you car back to the bottom, after unloading and using a wheel barrow to take your things to the hut. This is fine but not if you have mobility issues/ disabilites. We could not book by phone so we could not find this info out before booking.

I just cannot recommend this place to anyone. It needs a good kick up the bum!

This end of Skye (the Sleat peninsular) has an attractive coastline - very Swallow and Amazons. But we didn't see much of it due to leaving ASAP and going to Portree to find civillisation and a hot breakfast.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Aysteph 3 reviews from this member

A great pity that the motorhome park, which has fantastic views(as everywhere on Skye) is unkempt, with rubbish and old tyres, muddy and scruffy. Eco? Not really just an excuse to do very little apart from painting a few silly signs highlighting that weeds are plants. The location is ideal as just by the ferry from Mallaig so a great place to stop on first night on Skye, but my advice is to avoid if at all possible.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Rik412 2 reviews from this member

We stayed in the Seagull Sanctuary which was a hut/cabin not far from the owners house. There had been a mix up with the booking as children aren't normally allowed here but we were allowed to stay. It is normally for one or two adults. It was very cosy with a small fire/stove, kettle, dishes, table, chairs, bunk bed. After a wet day the stove makes the cabin really warm and cosy.

We had a compost toilet not to far from the cabin which I never seen anyone else use. I was a bit worried about the toilet but there was no smell and it was clean.

We travelled on foot so having the site right at the ferry was perfect. The site is beautiful and peaceful. There is lots of painted signs giving information on the plants and what they do. The walks are great for children and one leads down to the beach where you can view the seals. Small children would need help with the stairs going down to the beach as they are steep at the bottom. My son loved the ducks and the cat that roam about the site. The only criticism of the site is one shower is not enough if it is busy.

The owners and volunteers are very friendly and helpful.

The bus stop is just outside the site which will take you to Portree and Broadford. There is also a cafe and gift shops at the pier. Five minutes walk there is a garage/shop/small cafe, You can get cash back here if needed and some shopping.

If you want to get away from it all and back to nature then this is the place.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Undermanager 1 review from this member

A very interesting place to stay if you are interested in ecological things and handy for the ferry. This is clearly the owner's passion and there are a lot of fascinating areas, like the eco toilets, the use of plants etc. The welcome was warm and the orientation clear. The whole area is wooded. This meant huge numbers of the dreaded mozzie! Maybe I was unlucky on the day I arrived. Bring lots of repellent and a head net. I was camping out of my car. You have to pitch your tent in the wooded area overlooking the sea - very pretty and peaceful. However, you then have to wheelbarrow everything you need over to your tent. Then park the car down near the bottom near the ferry terminal, although the owner did let me keep the car closer to the wood the night I was there after a bit of negotiation. Your tent will be about 5 - 10 minutes walk from the car. If you need to keep popping into your car, this will be a real pain and inconvenient but if you are using a bike or arrive with a rucksack on your back, you should be fine. I was planning to stay longer but left after a day. I didn't feel relaxed about the car set-up or the mozzies.

Date of Visit: November 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Bowkg 3 reviews from this member

We stayed in a wigwam on this site for 2 nights with our three children 6, 4 and 12 months. We arrived at 9pm in the pitch dark. We were shown to our wigwam and then owner disappeared. No site orientation about running water / toilets / showers.

Wigwam was what we expected however the site was not. Perhaps it was our ignorance but we are not familiar with permaculture and what it means.

The toilet was a compost one which I could maybe have coped with if there was flushing one too. No hot water to wash hands and one of them was 'full'

When showers and toilets are advertised I took it to mean proper facilities not a shower in a wooden shack. Not suitable for anyone in November but especially not little ones.

The site itself felt very run down and messy. Fine line between eco friendly and just a mess.

Having said that the woodland walk was good and possibly would be better in the summer. Great for kids to explore. However, even bits of it were broken/ not usable

I feel the way the site has been photographed/advertised is hugely misleading.

This site would be acceptable to only the most avid eco families and not just your average recylcers.

I don't mean to be so critical but just don't want anyone else to find its not what they expected. For £90 I feel we never got value for money :-(

Reviewer: Emmaradio 1 review from this member

This camp site is a true gem. The location is beautifully sheltered with numerous pitches offering total isolation amongst the forest along with sea views.

There is a sheltered communal area as well as numerous spaces for camp fires making this a great camp site for groups as well as families. There's loads of forest to play in and explore as well as a beach, cave and an island packed full of seals within view! We even saw an otter one evening!

Yes, there are composting toilets but please ignore the bad review. They are kept clean and I actually found going in the forest a very pleasant experience! There is an electric shower too so it's not all wild and the owner is really friendly and a really amazing lady for creating such a wonderful place. I highly recommend a visit!

Previous     8 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Isle Of Skye   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers