Visitor Reviews - Rubha Phoil Eco Camping

Rubha Phoil Eco Camping
Armadale Pier Road
Ardvasar
Sleat
Isle Of Skye   (Browse area)
IV45 8RS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 1m  1m  1m   1m

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:

Date of Visit: November 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Bowkg 3 reviews from this member

We stayed in a wigwam on this site for 2 nights with our three children 6, 4 and 12 months. We arrived at 9pm in the pitch dark. We were shown to our wigwam and then owner disappeared. No site orientation about running water / toilets / showers.

Wigwam was what we expected however the site was not. Perhaps it was our ignorance but we are not familiar with permaculture and what it means.

The toilet was a compost one which I could maybe have coped with if there was flushing one too. No hot water to wash hands and one of them was 'full'

When showers and toilets are advertised I took it to mean proper facilities not a shower in a wooden shack. Not suitable for anyone in November but especially not little ones.

The site itself felt very run down and messy. Fine line between eco friendly and just a mess.

Having said that the woodland walk was good and possibly would be better in the summer. Great for kids to explore. However, even bits of it were broken/ not usable

I feel the way the site has been photographed/advertised is hugely misleading.

This site would be acceptable to only the most avid eco families and not just your average recylcers.

I don't mean to be so critical but just don't want anyone else to find its not what they expected. For 90 I feel we never got value for money :-(

Reviewer: Emmaradio 1 review from this member

This camp site is a true gem. The location is beautifully sheltered with numerous pitches offering total isolation amongst the forest along with sea views.

There is a sheltered communal area as well as numerous spaces for camp fires making this a great camp site for groups as well as families. There's loads of forest to play in and explore as well as a beach, cave and an island packed full of seals within view! We even saw an otter one evening!

Yes, there are composting toilets but please ignore the bad review. They are kept clean and I actually found going in the forest a very pleasant experience! There is an electric shower too so it's not all wild and the owner is really friendly and a really amazing lady for creating such a wonderful place. I highly recommend a visit!

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Lesleyblent 1 review from this member

Please visit this site, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, we stayed only one night here, but plan to return.

The view is stunning, plenty of wildlife, wonderful people, as soon as you are pitched the relaxing begins, the walks here are amazing.

We set our camp fire and sat and chatted watched the sun go down. I did not use the facilities, as we had our own in the camper, but my husband did, he said there is nothing wrong with them.

Thanks for the info and the friendliness.

We were even serenaded to sleep by guitar playing.

Give this site a go, see what they are doing and achieving, it's wonderful.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: C and MW 3 reviews from this member

In my naivete I thought eco-camping meant that the electric hook-up would be powered by renewable energy, but got quite a shock when I realised just what eco-camping means in this case. Maybe compost loos suit some people, but not this reviewer. I was thankful we had our own toilet and washing facilities. I assumed the WC symbol signified flushing toilets, but it would appear to stand for 'Waste container' in this case. I do not want to go into detail about what I saw and smelt when I opened the lid in the compost loo. Suffice to say I was traumatised. There is a shower beside the loo, but I could not make myself go back into that building.

There are two electric hook-ups, thankfully some distance away from the main part of the site, with good views across to Knoydart. Surprisingly, given the eco-emphasis, the posts for the hook-ups are embedded in old tyres filled with concrete, which is not the most environmentally friendly of materials.

The site information should tell people what to expect - it is very misleading.

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Isle Of Skye   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!