Visitor Reviews - Birchwood Tourist Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Birchwood Tourist Park
BH20 7PA   See Map
Tel: 01929 554763
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   Gas Refills   Recycling Facilities
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer Available    Motorhome Point   Fully Serviced Pitches
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <5 miles   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <5 miles   Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <10 miles
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <5 miles

Reviews:  70 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Write your own Review to win a £150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: November 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Waterwonder 2 reviews from this member

Lovely peaceful site. Well looked after and really friendly and helpful staff. Everything you need in the site shop. Will definitely return to this beautiful site. Booking is easy either on line or by phone and they are very patient when taking calls from people who are unsure of their requirements. Lots of different types of pitches so chat to the team and they will explain them all.

Date of Visit: January 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 114 reviews from this member

Stayed at the site early in the New Year as wanted to walk around Wareham Forest. The site is ideally situated for this as it has a couple of entry points to the forest tracks.

There seems to be an unnecessary array of different pitch types (5 or 6), so when asking for a hardstanding pitch with EHU, we ended up being put on a fully serviced pitched in amongst a mass of long stay caravans. After setting up and venturing around the site, we realised we should have asked for a gravel pitch (a different type of hardstanding for them, but one we weren't offered) and we could have had a nice pitch away with forest views and a bit of seclusion. The ground seemed to drain very well and after a spell of persistent hard rain, it soon drained to be firm under foot on the grassy areas.

The facilities were dated, but were cleaned daily. The shop on site was stocked with the essentials, it was a tad over priced, but that's what you pay for convenience I guess. A little disappointing that the Wi-Fi is charged, it just seems another little extra that sites will empty your wallet for.

This is a handy site if you want to spend a day or two exploring the forest, but probably won't be rushing back to visit again.

Date of Visit: January 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: BigErnie 21 reviews from this member

We visited this site for one night early in January. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful but we were surprised by the cost for one night on a gravel pitch with electric hook up, it turned out that she has put us on a fully serviced pitch which we didn't really need, however a misunderstanding on both parts so we were happy to stay there but would know to be a bit more specific in the future. The reception also has a very well stocked shop even in low season, great for people like me who tend to be a little forgetful!

This is a large site and was busy following the festive period however there is easy walking off of the site so easy to get away from other campers if you prefer a bit of quiet.

The toilets were a bit dated and whilst cleaners were on site and visibly doing their jobs, the toilets did seem a bit tired like they could do with a deep clean or refurbishment. The site was well set up for families with a play park and seasonal games room. It is also a dog friendly site, perfect for us as we have two dogs and were able to walk them from the site and onto the Sika Trail in Wareham Forest.

I probably wouldn't come here in high season as I imagine it will get very busy but would have no issues coming back for an overnight stop.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Teithiwr 1 review from this member

Very good location for exploring the area, including the Dorset coast. It's a large, open site with little in the way of landscaping, but the pitches are well-spaced and flat. There's a small shop with food essentials and other items. The wardens are particularly welcoming. When we stayed, there was one toilet block open for the Winter season, and facilities were adequate - clean but in need of refurb. The showers had curtains not lockable doors, with a chair outside each cubicle. Not private enough for me so I showered in the van. Would go again but would probably try the Caravan Club site down the road first.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jasie 14 reviews from this member

A great site for a Christmas getaway at short notice. After a quick phone call we were booked in. We had a fully serviced pitch that was dead level, and had a couple of waste options so you didnít need a long pipe. We unhitched the car, rolled it forward two inches and didnít move it until we rolled the van forward to hitch back up to leave!

The facilities are as all other reviews, dated, but always clean, but we tend to use our on board facilities, so we didnít really use these.

The shop had everything you could ever need and quite a few spares to do those little jobs on the caravan. But it also had everything you might ever need to feed yourself, even at this time of year.

The forest was easy to get into via a few different parts of the site, and loads of walks from here. This is a fantastic place to take the bikes as there are many trails around the forest with proper hard gravel tracks (not mud). Lots of deer to see running around, even on-site, so do keep your dog close if they are likely to give chase.

I must state that the nearby pub, The Silent Woman, which you can get to without going on the road must be avoided. We planned on getting some lunch having found it on the map, but they have a no kids policy and they wouldnít even let us in the door with the kids. Based on their attitude we would never go there even without the kids.

Wi-Fi, a bit costly, but not an obscene price like some sites, but it had a good strong signal, although only limited speed, so donít expect to stream tv/video when itís busy. They canít get fibre here yet!

You may want to view pitches before you commit as there seemed quite a lot of choice on location and either gravel, paved or even grass was in use.

We may go again for some cycling, but they wouldnít let us fly a model glider despite there being a fantastic large playing field (I think they have had some issues with uninsured Ďtoy dronesí) so we will probably go elsewhere.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Paulsmith250 6 reviews from this member

My visit to Birchwood Tourist Park was over the Whitsun Bank Holiday weekend with my Son and a party using three other tents.

Booking process for me was not quite so straight forward as I wanted to set up a night before our stay, I had a trailer and wanted to be near the three other tents in our party. Ours was a large tent and I required electric hook-up and asked for the late pack down option. I managed some of it online though gave them a call to fill in the bits I couldnít do. The lady I spoke to was not fazed by my requests, was friendly, polite and very helpful throughout. I had an email confirmation after paying the deposit.

I checked in on my own on the Thursday afternoon to set up the main tent (Outwell Montana). The ladies in the reception/shop were very welcoming and competent coping with the telephone, new arrivals, radio messages and shop customers with calm ease. After paying for the break (good value!) I was escorted to my pitch and shown the boundaries and location of the facilities.

The site is huge located a few miles from Wareham on the edge of the forest. Birchwood has a one-way tarmacadam drive with a speed limit circling the site. There are two facilities blocks housing toilets, showers, wash-up and waste disposal. There are bin areas around the site including recycle points. The site is mostly grass however there are hard standing plots with most near the reception where caravans and motor homes are placed. There is a large field in the centre of the site used for tent pitches and large areas on the outside of the drive. There is a storage area for caravans and motor homes for rent throughout the year. Near the entrance there is a playing area for ball games with some goals and nets set up for tennis and volleyball etc.

The facilities blocks were regularly well maintained with a period in the afternoon when they are each closed off at different times for proper cleaning. I tend to be an early riser and didnít have to queue for a morning shower. My Son however had on occasions to wait. Mops were available to wipe the floor after your use for consideration of the next person. Toilet rolls and soap were always available for public use and the hand dryers worked well. The only time I had any issues with the temperature of water was in the evenings washing up. I had to queue a couple of times for the washing-up.

The shop is like a ĎTardisí full of everything you could want when away from home. Stock included fresh bread/rolls, bacon/eggs etc. , typical groceries, ice-creams, wine/beers, gas bottles, camping and caravanning accessories, toys and so much more. Amazing little place!

Wardens are around the site throughout the day and patrol regularly during night. Our party were asked very politely if we could be a little quieter. It was 10:45 pm and not an unreasonable request. We were told that we were not particularly loud, just that as the place was so quiet, our talking voices could be heard the other side of the site. And yes, the site is quiet. Children during the day typically cycle around the drive and wildlife is there for the spotting if you have the desire and patience to look for it. I saw a large bird of prey (no idea what it was!) a deer and a fox and I wasnít looking for them. Being on the edge of the Wareham forest is great for walks and light pollution is negligible for star gazers (canít guarantee the weather for this!). Poole is a few miles away and other attractions in Dorset are not too far away.

I loved this site. I loved the super cool staff, the big open spaces, the play area, the shop and I judge a place by the quality of Ďthe facilitiesí. I cannot find a fault and the value for money over a Bank Holiday was pretty good too. Will I come again? You bet!

Previous     70 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review to win a £150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dorset   -   Search for a site

Win a Colibri Lux Sleeping Bag and Sim Bundle worth over £270 Win East Anglian Game & Country Fair Camping Weekend Tickets!

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game and Country Fair 28 to 29 April
Thetford. Weekend Camping available. Plus win tickets in our competition ...more