Visitor Reviews - Fish Ponds Bottom

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > New Forest & Hampshire > Site Reviews

Fish Ponds Bottom
Hale Purlieu
Hale
New Forest
Fordingbridge
Hampshire   (Browse area)
SP6 2NN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  10m  1m  5m  5m   5m  5m  5m  1m  1m

Pitches: 20 maximum
Open: Late May Bank Hol, Wends July, All Of August

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes

Reviews:  10 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tiffany 5 reviews from this member

Myself and my 2 daughters (aged 10 and 13) stayed here for a glorious weekend in late July. I had chosen the site based upon reviews I had read here, and I was not disappointed.

We like the less developed sites, and like peace and quiet at night. This was most definitely the most peaceful site we have been on. Whilst there were a few big groups here, I think they were advised to remain quiet after 11, which is in the site rules. This really suited me and my girls.

When you arrive you can borrow fire pits and buy firewood for a very reasonable price - and you get the paper, kindling AND logs which is great. We only had one on our second night but one £2 pack lasted us the evening! We also used the fire pit to raise our gas cooker off the ground when cooking.

Toilets are eco - so the long drop with sawdust to cover it. Me and my youngest were fine with this but the 13 year old slightly less keen! We didn't try the shower as it was a quirky step too far for my girls!

There are wooded and open spots, and you can choose where to pitch. We were late so didn't have a lot of choice but were happy with our slight banked space with very little through traffic. We had high grass surrounding our pitch which gave us some privacy.

On our second night half of a band turned up - just for a holiday I think - but they played an impromptu concert which was lovely! It's testament to the friendly nature of this site that we all stood/sat listening to the music and the kids danced along!

The owners Ginny and Roly are lovely and treat you like old friends. They even lent me a new ice block which was a life saver on this hot weekend when I only had one!

The new forest is on the doorstep and fordingbridge is good for shopping and refreshing dip too!

For us, we were missing a play area for the children (I like mine to make the most of being outside and go play football/frisbee with the other kids on site) - hence why 8 out of 10 not 10! I think for families with toddlers or couples this is a perfect spot!

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Beckaroony 5 reviews from this member

As some others have said, I really don't want to leave a review so that it doesn't become too popular!

This is an amazing site - so peaceful and friendly. It is basic, with only the bare necessities, which is what is so appealing. Pick your own spot, no cars at the pitches, open fires and BBQs.

I'm sure we will be back! Thanks to the owners.

Reviewer: EveB 6 reviews from this member

Great little site tucked away in a beautiful part of the New Forest. We had full choice of where to pitch when we arrived and it was quite refreshing to be on a site where you were allowed to make your own choice and wander/explore before pitching the tent.

We loved the honesty box for the firewood and kindling and the little home-made bags of fire packs. The shower was better than our one at home whilst the compost loo worked fine.

We had a leisurely 15 minute walk to the next village where the is a great shop with all you need to stock up and there's a great pub reasonably priced nearby.

The owners are very welcoming and friendly. Our kids plus dog loved the space to play/explore and it really is worth stopping off here.

Reviewer: Jillngaz 1 review from this member

We were looking for a small, quiet, unspoilt field for a chill out weekend. Fish Ponds Bottom was perfect! It is very peaceful, very pretty and certainly not for anyone wanting lots of modern facilities. You can pitch in the woods or in the meadow like field. We chose the field at the top which was perfect for us. We backed on to the hedgerow and had a very large area to ourselves. It felt very private and we didn't feel over looked at all. The cars are parked in one area and you use a wheelbarrow to get your stuff to your tent. Very novel and much nicer without cars all over the place. There is a place to wash up which is kept very clean. The loos are novel too. Nothing modern. Just the toilet seat over a hole which you put sawdust in, there is a sink and even fresh flowers in there! The showers were eco friendly too. The owners were very friendly and helpful and even brought us a hot flask of water when our gas canister ran out! Wonderful! There is New Forest walking on the doorstep which of course as always is very beautiful. There is a co op in the nearby village of Downton for any provisions. We took our own BBQ but you could use ones that were there and charcoal was also there at a minimal charge. We would highly recommend Fish Ponds Bottom if you are looking for a quiet beautiful little site.

Reviewer: LemonLady 1 review from this member

This incredible campsite is quite idyllic. The individual sites are separated by mown paths which makes campers feel screened in their own little meadow surrounded by long grasses.

The woodland pitches also looked beautiful with a great swing for kids.

We were lucky enough to have a very separate pitch on top of a little hill, this entailed taking up all our gear in a barrow as the cars are all parked centrally on the pitch away from tents. This was more fun than trouble.

The enormous oaks surrounded us and we enjoyed watching bats and later shooting stars beside our fire. The logs to buy are a good combination of woods and the locally sourced charcoal excellent for cooking easily and evenly.

The owners greeted us with no trouble and showed us how it all works in a relaxed fashion, made everything feel cosy. The facilities of compost loos, washing up post and semi open air self built shower were all delightfull and functioned well.

A great peaceful and happy place!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Byers 1 review from this member

My family and I recently spent a very enjoyable weekend camping at Fish Ponds Bottom.

It is situated in a beautiful part of the New Forest. The field is a haven for wildlife and our children had a great time spotting lizards with the camp site owner! This is an eco friendly campsite and all campers need to respect that. Like other reviewers I wanted to keep this place a secret but I feel I have to leave a review having read another from a camper who stayed on the same weekend as us.

The compost loo on the site is great - I was not aware of any 'ripe' smell about it. It was clean at all times and was in fact far more pleasant to use than many conventional public toilets I have encountered.

Our children thought the 'quirky' shower was fun and I myself had a very pleasant outdoor shower. It is warm, clean and very user friendly.

The owners could not be more helpful and leave all responsible campers to enjoy their weekend in peace. We did notice one camper pulling wood out of the hedgerow for his camp fire. He was gently asked not to do so and pointed in the direction of suitable wood for his fire!

We cannot wait to go again.

Previous     10 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Hampshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers