Visitor Reviews - River Dart Country Park ( River Dart Adventures)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

River Dart Country Park ( River Dart Adventures)
Holne Park
Ashburton
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
TQ13 7NP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

10m  10m   10m  5m  1m

Open: April To September

Reviews:  87 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mr_jprice 6 reviews from this member

What a fantastic park for children!

The playgrounds are brilliant with an area for children under 4, large slides, a fort, zip wire and even an assault course. There are also a number of chargeable activities such as high ropes and water zorbing which makes this a great place to stay.

The crème de la crème of this site is the river which is a small trickle into zoned play areas with a little beach for babies, a submerged pirate ship for larger ones and a number of rope bridges. The kids (2, 6&9) spent ages here and it had a really good 'back to nature' feel to it.

The site is kept very clean with clean toilets and showers and a restaurant serving food and drinks in the evening (not very reasonable) but to be fair the food was fantastic.

We will definitely be going back, my 9 year old hasn't stopped asking me since the moment we left!

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Nomad66 10 reviews from this member

This is our third visit to River Dart Country Park and it won't be our last. If there is a better family campsite in the UK, we've yet to find it. This time we stayed in our caravan, but previously we've used our tent.

The facilities are excellent, always clean and the showers never run out of hot water. This is a major achievement given the activities on site.

The pitches are large and well spaced out with good access, no trying to reverse a caravan around a tree into a tight spot. There are plenty of water points and pitches with electric hook up. It is busy in the summer holidays, but it's a huge place and never feels cramped.

The kids activities really take some beating - they are not 'worn out' as mentioned in another review, they are in a forest and made of wood, it's how we used to play as kids. If you want arcade games, an indoor swimming pool with lots of rules and health and safety posters everywhere, this is not the place for you. Activities are 'old school' and designed to be a bit of a challenge. Rope swings, assault courses (for different ages and abilities), zip wires, and friendly water fights in the lake with a pirate ship to invade or defend. These are not small play areas for a few kids - the pirate ship can handle 50+ on it's own and the free zip wire is about 50m long. And don't think these are just for kids, any adult in the lake is considered target practice and expected to join in. All these things are free to those staying on the site.

For young kids there is a small beach on the edge of the lake and for older kids and adults there is a 'paid for' high ropes course, canoes and water zorbing. For teenagers they run activities out onto Dartmoor. Our grandson is only 9 so he's not done those, but if the other activities are anything to go by, they will be well run and just challenging enough that they come away with a sense of achievement that you can't get from a theme park or video arcade.

As mentioned in other reviews, the bar is very good value with a wide range of beers, wines and soft drinks (inc milkshakes for the kids) and you can't fault the food. The shop is basic but in fairness probably holds a better range of essentials than most campsite shops, including water squirters for use on the pirate ship and children's wetsuits and it's not over priced.

This site is really designed for families, so there are a lot of children. But it's always quiet by 10pm - I think they are exhausted by then!

I've tried to think of a negative to balance out the review, but I can't. There are plenty of staff about and all very helpful and friendly. The owners have clearly thought long and hard about what makes a great family holiday in the UK and made it work. The only thing I can thing I can think of and it has nothing to do with the site is the road from the A38 is tight in places and it can be quite busy. The site is well away from the road, you can't hear or see it at all but for some reason coaches use it to take people onto Dartmoor. I've no idea why because there are better, wider roads. I can only guess it's the way the sat nav directs them. It's never happened to us, but you wouldn't want to meet one coming the other way if you're towing a caravan.

One thing worth mentioning is; you'll need a wetsuit. The water is diverted from the River Dart. The source is only a few miles away so it's pretty cold. The kids are having too much fun to care, but if you plan on going in the lake or using the rope swing with them - you'll feel it!

The only downside for us is it's a long way from Essex to South Devon. But it's well worth the trip!

Already thinking about when to visit in 2014.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Merrymac7 2 reviews from this member

This place is absolutely fabulous! We couldn't fault it. Despite the enormous amount of people it caters for, it didn't feel overcrowded, there was plenty of space between campers and everybody we spoke to were very friendly. Dogs are allowed on this site but nowhere did they bother us and no unexpected mess anywhere. The grounds are beautifully kept and the facilities spotless. There is also a family bathroom with a bath which was wonderful as I could stick my littlies in the bath after a very busy day. A drying room too where you can hang your wet gear overnight and get it back dry in the morning. The activities you can get up to here are amazing and very reasonably priced. The restaurant is marvellous, lovely food and good service all at a price that is affordable for a family on holiday. The on site shop is very small and only has the barest of essentials but in the nearby town there is a small supermarket if you need it. We had a fantastic holiday here and I would and have recommended it to all our friends. We will definitely be back. Happy Campers!

Reviewer: Jimmylands 3 reviews from this member

Great campsite visited on the hottest weekend of the year.

Myself, wife and 2 children aged 5 and 2 really enjoyed it.

Plus points

Large pitches

Family friendly with noise curfew at 11:00pm

Fantastic setting reminding me of France or Canada.

Lots of activities for the kids

Great river beach and water activities to cool off in

Well kept, clean, adequate amenities.

Minus points

River beach to small

Shop very limited

Although my children enjoyed it I think it is geared at children at 5 plus.

Overall great 2 nights would visit again.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Holmes75 1 review from this member

My Husband & I stayed here with 3 boys age 10, 9, 7 and our dog. It was a great weekend everyone enjoyed it. 10 out of 10. Toilet and shower block were really clean. Excellent playgrounds for all ages even adults. The food was lovely and very well presented and at reasonable prices. Only criticism is that the shop could of stocked more milk, bread, eggs. The surrounding town of Ashburton is a lovely little town and the views surrounding the campsite are so beautiful.

Reviewer: Brommo 10 reviews from this member

After a recommendation about this site I thought I`d take my 11 year old daughter there.

I`ve just come back (spent 3 nights there) with mixed feelings.

Positives :-

The paid for activities are excellent. Zip wire and High Ropes Course in particular were brilliant.

The staff on the paid activities were fabulous. Very kid friendly and made sure kids understood what they had to do and safety was well explained.

Excellent washing up area and the showers and toilets could no be faulted. I went at a peak time and saw lots of cleaning going on so whenever I went it was always clean. Always hot water too. Top marks

Bar beer prices were very reasonable and a good selection too.

Plenty of space in the Walled Garden camping area for outdoor games ie frisby, badminton, ball etc

Negatives :-

The free kids activities were very very poor. They may have been good when the park first opened but are now in desperate need of renovation, repair or reconditioning. Very disappointed.

The arcade. In a word terrible. An air hockey game that blows next to no air so is virtually unplayable and it only records one person scores ! And a pinball machine with only one working flipper. You can`t play with one flipper ! Both are therefore a waste of money.

The walled garden has no facilities at all except for a tap.

Meals at the Old Saw Mill were pricey although looked good quality.

Shop was average at best

A shocking lack of signage. A map of the whole site at regular points is desperately needed as it`s so huge.

Location - its a good way from the coast. I know I made the choice to stop here but as a base its a good 40 mins or so from Torquay or Paignton, Goodrington Sands (which is a fantastic place as so much to do there)

To be fair when I booked I was told it may be a small walk to the facilities but I wasn`t advised just how far ! At £26. 50 a night for just two people I expected more in the way of facilities.

It would be good for a day out but don`t feel they have done enough for it to be recommended as a campsite.

Although I appear to have more negatives than positives we did enjoy ourselves but not sure I`d go back there.

Previous     87 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!