Visitor Reviews - Higher Moor Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Higher Moor Farm Campsite
Nottington
Weymouth
Dorset   (Browse area)
DT3 4BW   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  1m  5m

Open: 28th March 2014 Until 30th September 2014

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  31 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Roma07 3 reviews from this member

Spent one night at this site in early July when it was not very busy. My impression is of a well run site with friendly staff who were happy to let me pick my own pitch. The field is partially sloping but not excessively so.

I used the new shower/toilet facility in the centre of the field. It looks like a portacabin from outside but the inside reveals a very high quality specification that would put many hotels to shame. The showers had plenty of room, though I think there were only two, but a bigger facility block is available as well.

The only downside I can find is the rather obtrusive tall electricity pylons that run past the field to the east and south. I pitched on the eastern side of the field, and I noticed an audible hum cum buzzing sound from the wires above, though this did not prevent a peaceful night's sleep. If this is likely to worry you, try to pitch over on the western side of the field.

Weymouth and Portland are about five miles away. Broadwey is about a mile away and accessible by footpaths, though I didn't get to sample any of the pubs or other facilities.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: CazzaMay 1 review from this member

This campsite is very pleasant, the facilities are absolutely brilliant. The new toilet block is gorgeous. The play area seems very well equipped with lots for children to do. The Farm Shop is well stocked with all you could need. We would definitely recommend this site to anyone and everyone, and will.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lovebus2 4 reviews from this member

This is a lovely little site, very well run, spotlessly clean and tidy, we will return to this site again. Only a short drive into Weymouth, and a very reasonable cab fare as well. A lovely eating place in Weymouth is Wetherspoons The Swan.

Hope you all have fun !

Daniel in the shop is brilliant.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: BopaJ 1 review from this member

I wanted to stay near Wimborne, Dorset for the last two days of August in order to visit a friend and also take my puppy on her first camping trip to see if she likes camping as much as I do.

I forgot it was the Bournemouth Air Show and The Vintage Steam Fair so most places were only allowing a 3 night plus night stay.

Higher Moor Farm was further away than I anticipated but well worth the extra miles.

I was greeted by a friendly member of staff, having booked over the phone. I like the non-regimented approach- i. E. Park up wherever you want! Lots of campsites have rules about which way your door should open!

The price was excellent too. I have a small camper van and required electric hook up, but the intention was to pitch a tiny tent for Puppy.

There was a big group opposite us and it was lovely that they could have a family gathering and pitch an enormous gazebo all free of charge.

The new washrooms were our nearest and they were really nice and always clean. I liked the big wet room, ideal for those with children, the only downside was that there was nowhere to hang clothes to keep them dry.

There were lots of dogs on the site, and the dog walking area had free poo bags and bins for waste.

I didn't use the other facilities, but can recommend Weymouth beach. If you go the Pavillion end of the beach(DT4 8ED) dogs are allowed on the beach and Puppy had her first experience of sand and sea!

The only downsize of this camp site was the number of wasps and when I return I will take a wasp catcher/ candle, as being allergic to the blighters I was jumping around a lot!

Quiet site but would have been lovely to have seen the sea from the campsite.

Reviewer: Thegibbo4 5 reviews from this member

We have stayed at this site twice this year with our 2 children, first for a week at Whitsun and then 4 nights over the August bank holiday weekend.

The location is excellent - you feel right in the countryside and yet there is a supermarket 10 minutes away by car. Despite the site being full everything piped down from about 10pm and it was very peaceful overnight. The only sound was the local wildlife!

We felt that the site could benefit from a third shower and toilet block during peak season, but generally didn't have to queue for long as we get up early. We preferred the older block as the layout of each shower gave an area to get dried in.

Dishwash sinks only have a roof, thankfully it didn't rain much on either of our visits! The hot water was not always hot however. You needed to time your washing up carefully.

The laundry room was a real boon after days at the beach.

We didn't spend an awful lot of time on site as there is so much to see and do in Dorset. Over the course of both visits we drove to Poole and took the boat to Brownsea Island to look for red squirrels (the houses we saw along the walk from Sandbanks car park to the pontoon were amazing), took the steam train to Swanage, spent several days at Studland beach, walked the coast path from Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door (our 7 year old said it was 'epic', the 4 year old slept well that night), explored old Wareham and the River Frome, went to Poole on a rainy day and had a great afternoon exploring the museum with its pirate display and then a walk around the old quarter, and visited Corfe Castle where the children met knights and had a try at archery. National Trust membership is invaluable - parking at Studland in the summer is 9, free to members.

Needless to say, our children didn't have much energy left for the play area at the end of each day!

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dave45 2 reviews from this member

Nice campsite with very modern facilities which we're regularly cleaned. The little shop/reception was very cute. Pitches could be larger and wasn't that keen on our position as it was very close to a big electric pylon, you could hear it buzzing. That said, it was a nice site, and we'll run. They had a pizza evening where a converted horse box turned up and made fresh pizzas, they were very lovely. Nice touch!

Previous     31 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dorset   -   Search for a site

Win a Dining Package, worth 124.98 from Yeomans Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!