Visitor Reviews - Leacroft Touring Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Leacroft Touring Park
Colyton Hill
Colyton
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
EX24 6HY   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  10m  10m  10m  10m   5m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  10 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Iona and carl 1 review from this member

We have just returned from 2 fabulous weeks at Leacroft (helped that the weather was excellent too) and have already booked to return.

The facilities are good and very clean! Hot showers, which I never had to wait for, despite high season, immaculate pitches and wonderful friendly atmosphere.

2 children (11 and 9) had fantastic time on the play area, with plenty of space to play with their new friends. Shop on site is well stocked and fairly priced, and site is central to lots of beaches within 5-10 min drive. Also loads of local walks right out of the gates.

Seaton has big supermarket, and beer and colyton have local shops, pharmacies and pubs/ eateries etc so there's plenty of amenities nearby.

Staff were helpful and gave great advice on places to go/ things to do etc.

Can't fault this site, you can even see the sea from it! The rules and restrictions are n place to prevent rogue children and dog owners (that we all tut at and moan about when they ruin our holiday) from annoying people who want to enjoy a restful, happy holiday. Great time had by all of us. Thank you and see you again soon.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Father Ted 1 review from this member

This is a little gem of a site!

We are a family of 4, two adults and two children aged 11 & 14, and visited here for our main summer holiday.

I was a little perturbed that, in looking online, I couldn't find many reviews for this site. Maybe I put too much faith in reviews?

The reviews I read were a little mixed, mostly good, but the odd negative review. However, the negative ones are odd (mostly regarding the enforcement of rules)! Yes they have rules about being quiet at night and children being well behaved. Most sites do, or, at least, those which we'd choose to visit, anyway. The rules weren't draconian and weren't enforced in a heavy handed manner.

On arrival we were greeted by a very helpful and friendly member of staff (owner?). Her husband ( I think it was) came to show us to our pitch. He explained it was a little awkward to get onto and asked would we like him to pitch for us ( with their little tractor). I declined ( my ego wouldn't allow that!) which he accepted.

When we got to our pitch it was lovely. It was a nice corner pitch which was very generous. All of the pitches seemed roomy, but the corner ones more so. The pitch had levelled concrete flags for the wheels, meaning I only had to worry about levelling front to back.

The facilities were more than adequate. They did have a slightly dated feel to them, but were well maintained and kept cleaned and stocked at all times. There doesn't appear to be enough facilities for the entire site, but we didn't have to queue once for a shower. My only gripe is that the showers could have been a little hotter, but then, I like to have my skin boiled off by a shower and not everyone else does!

The site shops sells all of the usual along with some less expected items ( Whale pumps etc!). There is table tennis and a pool table for the older kids and a huge play area in the middle of the site. I think, if nothing else does, this play area sums up their outlook. They could have fitted an extra half dozen caravans and made more money, but they set aside the space for the kids instead. There are the usual swings and slide to one end of the play area. Again there are signs up showing the rules, but nothing beyond common sense, (pick up dog droppings and if the kids don't behave they'll be told to).

The prices were about right for the time of year and part of country. With two adults and two children (11&14) we paid £33 per night.

The location is in Devon, near to the Dorset border. Easy travelling to Lyme Regis, Sidmouth ( for the best ice cream ever!) or inland to Somerset. Most local beaches appear to be pebble, but there are a couple of nice sandy ones nearby.

There is one word of warning I'd give. There is no way to get here (apparently) without going up a big hill. Now, I'll emphasise that I know my towcar is slightly under-powered. I also discovered that one of my brakes was binding slightly. But, the hill out of Sidmouth (Trow Hill) is a long 14% hill. I ended up in bottom gear, engine screaming, doing 20mph to get up there. As I say, my car is a little under powered, but it's never struggled like that on any other hills. Obviously that's not the fault of the site and with a decent towcar it won't be an issue.

To sum up: Would I visit here again? You bet I would! (But maybe after I've changed my car! )

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Creaseless 1 review from this member

We have been going to this site for several years and it is refreshing that some sites do not change.

The care of the owners is clear to see all round the park. The toilet and shower facilities are spotless and the grass / flowers / shrubs / tress extremely well kept.

It has a small shop with all the basics. A games room, table tennis room, playground and playing field for adults and kids alike.

A safe, quiet site with surrounding views of farmland and the sea. Lots to do locally for all.

What more could you want!

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Hapspouse 4 reviews from this member

This is a very clean and tidy site, pretty. Plenty of facilities spread around the site, rather than in one place.

The shower water could have been warmer, but at the basins (3 private cubicles in one unit) and the washing up facility it was plenty hot enough after running for a while. This didn't happen in the shower.

Plenty of room for caravan, awning and car. Very helpful owner and staff. We enjoyed our stay, even though the weather was wet and windy.

Owner allowed us to park our folding caravan in the car park on the day of departure, (free) so that we could make the most of our last day. Very much appreciated.

We had no children with us, but there is a children's play facility which looks good and room for ball games.

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rangesouth 2 reviews from this member

An excellent site. The pitches for Trailer tents were great, and flower beds marked the boundaries between them. There is more than 1 well presented shower block, so no one gets caught short! -

Water and electric hook ups a plenty. Very friendly staff! made for a super relaxed holiday!

Although we didn't use them the provision for children seemed excellent as described by others.

It may be a bit breezy at times, so take your windbreak, but it is on the coast though so you can't avoid it, and there are hedges planted.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cannyrose 6 reviews from this member

If you can overlook the stringent application of the owners many rules (and there are signs to remind you everywhere ) then this is a lovely immaculately kept site with distant views to the sea.

We went with another family who were in a VW camper - unfortunately the owner was not flexible enough to allow us to pitch in the same field.There are pitches for static caravans - the vast majority of the site, a field for motorhomes /campervans and another field for tents.

This was a huge downside to our holiday as our children were constantly having to cross a track used for access by cars and if we wanted to eat together it resulted in having to lug tables and chairs and food across the site.

Our pitch was on a slight slope but manageable with easy access to water and EHU - you have to have an EHU pitch if you prebook for some reason.

The washblocks were very clean there was plenty of hot water but you will have to strip down yourself to shower young children otherwise you will soak yourself due to the design of the shower.

The small shop sells few basic food items with fresh delivery of bread and croissants each day and you can order a newspaper.The staff were very pleasant in the shop.

There is a small laundry £4 for a large wash and there is outside drying area and tumble driers.

The children's playground is in the middle of the site - well equipped and kept my 3 happy ( b/w ages of 3-9)There is a small games room with pool table/table tennis/table football and hockey table.Also board games and books you can borrow.There is also a trampoline but beware no net!

Places to visit locally include Bicton Park - beautiful gardens with good playground and miniature train.Donkey sanctuary - free. Seaton tramway.Killerton NT house and gardens, and Charmouth beach not far away - great for fossil hunting.

Rajpoot Indian in Seaton - lovely curries huge portions and free bottle of wine if you spend over £35.Bowd inn in Sidford - good basic pub grub at reasonable prices with children's menu and outdoor play area.Anchor Inn in Beer nice views great crab sandwiches but lousy service even early on in lunchtime rush.

Overall a quiet well kept site a little on the pricey side given facilities. I think had we not gone with another family with similar aged children we possibly might have been a little bored at this site.

Probably more suited to middle aged campers

Previous     10 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers