Visitor Reviews - Karrageen Caravan & Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

Karrageen Caravan & Camping Park
Bolberry
Malborough
Kingsbridge
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
TQ7 3EN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  5m  5m  5m  5m   1m

Open: April To September

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  68 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Kateandjames 42 reviews from this member

A great site with stunning views across the valley or down to the sea at Hope Cove. Lovely helpful owner.

Pitches are very spacious and level with terraces cut into the hillside.

When I was there it was very windy and pitches at the bottom part of the field seemed more sheltered but no views. Take your pick!

Facilities all very clean, soap provided in showers (40p) and at sinks. Freezer and fridge available in kitchen area and laundry as well.

There's a well stocked shop with freshly baked pastries and bread. Coffee available too and shop sells beer, wine, bbq and all sorts of camping bits that you might need.

There's plenty of walking direct from site providing of course you don't mind hills. East Soar Walkers Hut (cafe) was a nice lovely suprise and there are bars / cafes in Hope Cove.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Doodlebugdil 4 reviews from this member

We never book in advance but outside school holidays this is not usually a problem and this was the case at Karrageen. We arrived and pitched up in torrential rain (as forecast) on a Saturday evening. I explained to the site owner, Phil, that I didn't want to pay for a whole week in case the weather didn't improve. This was not a problem and Phil was happy for me to pay before departure for however many nights we had stayed. This proved to be a good thing as my partner badly injured her knee on the Tuesday, so we had to cut our holiday short.

The site can accommodate maybe 65 tents and tourers, plus there are a handful of statics.

Although the site is on a slope, it has been terraced so you are guaranteed a level pitch. The numbered pitches are very generously spaced. You will never feel overcrowded at Karrageen.

Well positioned hedging divides different areas are provides more privacy and wind protection, always handy on a coastal site!

There are sea views from pitches at the top end of the site, more wind protection at the lower pitches.

We were not allocated a particular pitch, which is a big plus point for me. The immaculate facilities block provides hot showers and indoor washing up points (20p for 2 mins hot water) plus loos, basins, washing machine, dryer, freezers for cool blocks and a chemical disposal point, all very modern. A bit of a hike from the bottom of the site but as this is a walkers paradise, I guess no-one is going to mind.

Reception is part of the owner's house and also incorporates a shop (open morning and evening) selling fresh bread, milk and all the usual camping essentials plus alcohol!(more brownie points)

Phil is out and about the site daily, ready and willing to field any queries or offer advice.

Hope Cove (food and beer) is an easy stroll (about a mile)

We didn't get to explore as much as we intended, due to A. Bad weather, B. My partner's knee injury.

Really can't fault the site, the owners or the area. We'll be back!

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Bluevw 4 reviews from this member

Quiet, but one of the cleanest nicest sites we have stayed at, will certainly visit again before the end of the summer.

A friendly greeting on arrival, a well stocked shop and a fantastic location with nearby Hope cove.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Daveitalia 3 reviews from this member

My wife, our 2 Spaniels and I stayed here in the middle of June, I have to say this is one of the best sites we have stayed on the owners actually thought about us and the dogs and gave us a fantastic pitch with loads of room and really private which was great for the dogs as no one could really walk past the front of our tent, the owners are very friendly and accommodating, the shower and toilet blocks are immaculate and there is a big family shower room which is great if your are disabled or have young children, the site is located in some fantastic countryside and only 3/4 a mile from the south west coastal path STUNNING!

Also it's a mile from Hope Cove with a great pub called the Hope and Anchor serves good food and sits right on sea front where you can watch the world go by with the sun beating down on the bay. One final point is the owners bread if you order by 5pm the day before at 8. 30am there will be fresh bread just out of the oven for you GREAT TOUCH 😀 will definitely be back in 2016

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Oompsy-daisy 9 reviews from this member

My friend and I went to Karrageen in the May bank holiday weekend. We booked via the website and got an email with booking confirmation and how to pay. We had to make a bank transaction, was not possible to make a card transaction. Which in our case was fine.

I think this was probably the wettest camping we had been on. But this made it a little more challenging but also more fun!

It was an unusual campsite, that we had visited in that the reception was away from the campsite. As you come in along the very skinny lanes, if approaching from Malborough the reception was above the campsite on your left and the site was below on your right. We originally went into the site first as we weren't sure which way to go. But when we did find them they were very friendly and due to the weather that was due to come in we ashed for a sheltered spot, in which we were given 3 options.

The site is on quite a steep hill with a stony drive, which was a little slippery when wet. Most of the pitches though were relatively flat. We were are the bottom of the hill on the right, this meant that we were shielded from the wind, as we had some kind of shelter on all sides of us. Which was amazing considering the weather that weekend.

The sites facilities were all clean with cleaning taking place each and every day at 2pm. It was lovely to be able to wash up inside! The showers were 0. 40p for 4 minutes, which the site owner had a plentiful supply and was happy to give us some change. I am never particularly happy about paying for hot water, but on a plus side of this there was an on/off switch so you didn't waste any hot water when applying shampoo and body wash. On the three nights we stayed there we each had 1 tepid warm shower which we did report to the site owner was advised he would look at it as it seemed to be the same shower on both occasions, all the other showers were hot, but the temperature was unchangeable.

The trek to get to the toilets was certainly something, It was a bit of a walk up a hill for all amenities including water and the toilet, this is not fun in pouring rain! But on the plus side to this by the time you walked up to the toilet and back again you are warm :). Even if there was another water source a little way down the track for the campers towards the bottom of the site would be great, but I do know that this is not always possible.

They offered a small selection of food at their site shop but it all seemed locally sourced which is good, they also offer a service of fresh bread, croissants etc daily, just put in your order the day before. I have to say we didn't use this service. I think if we were staying longer we possibly would have done.

The area that they are based if very pretty and some of the lanes are very tight! Good driving skills I think are essential for negotiating the small twisty, turny, roads, including the road getting to Karrageen.

Hope Bay is a beautiful village with a great St Austell Brewery pub, with great food and service.

Karrageen, is a lovely, well kept place to camp and would thoroughly recommend it.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Honeysuckle123 11 reviews from this member

A welcome return to Karrageen - I enjoyed my first visit in 2013 and it seemed even better on return. I was camping with another friend who was due to turn up later in the day with her tent, so when I checked in the owner recommended one of the smaller terraces where we would be the only ones. It was very thoughtful and the terrace was wonderful. It was great to have our own space.

I had a dog with me and was recommended the top field for walking him in. The views are great from up there and there was plenty of room for him to sniff around.

The shower and washing up areas were immaculate and I never had to queue for a shower. There was plenty of hot water too.

The site is ideally located for walking along the coast - we did plenty of walking over the weekend.

As it was late in the year, we asked whether we could leave our tents up on the final day while we went for a walk, giving them time to dry out from the night's dew. The owner couldn't have been more accommodating, telling us (and other campers) that there was no rush to leave the site. This was much appreciated, meaning that our tents were dry when we packed them away.

I would definitely return to this site. It is well-run, well-maintained and welcoming - and a great location.

Previous     68 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more