Visitor Reviews - Sycamore Cottage Certificated Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Lincolnshire > Site Reviews

Sycamore Cottage Certificated Site

Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

This is a Camping and Caravanning Club Certificated Site, which accept caravans or motorhomes and usually tents, space permitting. It is a member only site - you may be able to join on arrival - please check direct with the site.

Reviews:

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Chesterfieldcampers 3 reviews from this member

It shows that we are all different. I chose this site as I was visiting the area so read the (excellent) reviews on here. The last review was 3 years ago and sadly my experience was different. I booked via email as a CCC member. It cost me 15 per night including electricity and wi fi. The wi fi is not powerful enough for streaming. I arrived at the site later than planned due to rain. It is a small site with a motorhome, a 5th wheeler and 3 tourers. Plus a static. There were no signs for Reception and it wasn't clear where to go- there was a wooden building and a bungalow. Eventually Vicky came out of the wooden building. She showed me my pitch and the facilities. She didn't ask for my CCC Membership card or payment. The facilities are as described but as they were next to a business office it was unclear if they were shared. One toilet and one shower. Everything felt somewhat tired. There was a railway line at the back of the site and trains up to midnight. The level crossing next to it also generated noise from agricultural vehicles. At night it was quiet so you can enjoy hearing owls and a lovely dawn chorus. One part of nature I didn't appreciate was the dog mess that hadn't been cleared up. The noise, location and tired facilities mean I wouldn't return to this site. Such a contrast to the next site I stayed at in Cheltenham. The area was great though

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Monkmolloy 1 review from this member

As first time caravanners we were totally out of our depth. We had no clue at all how to use any of the equipment on our caravan. My husband was working in the area and didn't want to into digs, so we bit the bullet and hey presto we now belong to the caravan elite.

All I can say is how fantastic our experience has been. Vicky and Ian were so helpful and friendly from the moment we arrived. They went out of their way to help us set up. The pitch is all grass and level. Beautiful location. Watching the sun rise over the fields in the morning was amazing. We followed the antics of a male pheasant and his harem along with all other manner of wild birds. A very quiet, accessible site, perfect for a lazy week away. The amenities are excellent, always extremely clean but also products available if someone has used the shower room before you. A microwave, washing machine, fridge, freezer, kettle, iron, ironing board and sink are all there for general use. There is even a rotary washing line. TV reception was mostly great but as the trees fill with leaves it may become a little patchy. Internet and mobile phone reception also mostly good. Internet is free, which is a rare thing.

A railway line runs along side the site, the trains run once every two hours, to be honest they did not cause any disturbance. You do need a vehicle to get around the area. There are no pathways and the roads are quite narrow and busy. There is good shop with ATM in Barrow, about two miles away, also takeaway shops, a butchers and couple of pubs. Barton which is about 5miles has a large Tesco, Lidl, co-op and various other shops. Over the Humber bridge you have lots of options for shops, malls, retail outlets. About 15-20 mins drive. Going south you have Cleethorps and Grimsby, Lincoln about an hour away. Sycamore cottage is brilliantly situated for most of North Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire.

Hopefully we will return soon to Sycamore Cottage. Whatever happens in the future this fabulously run site has given us very high expectations for our future caravanning adventures.

Thank you Vicky and Ian. Great work

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: MissElaineous 37 reviews from this member

A suberbly equipped site with very friendly owners. From receiving a text from Vicky on the day of my arrival, advising me if they were out to pitch up and familiarise myself with the facilities, to her offering us a lift to the railway station for our day out to Cleethorpes.

It is a small site with 6 electric hook-ups. The facilities include toilet, shower, washing-up sink with drainer, fridge/freezer, microwave, washing machine, kettle and toaster. Washing up liquid and other cleaning products are available. Always very clean and plenty of hot water. The shower is like nothing I have ever come across on a campsite before. It has a seat, water jets from above, sides and below, coloured lighting and a radio. There were toiletry products in the shower in case you had forgotton your own. Outside the facilility block is wooden decking with patio furniture. Free wifi is available, so that, coupled with the wonderful shower, has made this site a favourite of my teenage daughter. The owners are campers themselves, so have worked hard to provide every possible thing that a camper could wish for to make a comfortable stay.

Very little road noise here, and quiet at night, it was lovely to lie in my sleeping bag and listen to the owls. The nearby railway is only a local line carrying 2-hourly passenger trains between Barton-upon-Humber and Cleethorpes and there are no trains overnight. We walked to the Thornton Abbey railway station and took a train to Cleethorpes (seaside resort) for the day. Thornton Abbey itself, a British Heritage property, is well worth a visit. If you are going to arrive back in the dark, I would advise taking a torch and wearing a hi-vis vest as there is no footpath.

I can't wait to go back again next year. Pity it is not open all year or I would be there next month for a spot of winter camping and to use the provided washing machine drum fire pit. A great site for a relaxing weekend.

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Lincolnshire   -   Search for a site

Win an Outwell Barbecue Package worth 249 Win a Clarke IG2000B 1.8kW Suitcase Generator worth 299

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 7th to 7th July, Derbyshire