Visitor Reviews - Big Hillsdale Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Staffordshire > Site Reviews

Big Hillsdale Farm
Grindon
Leek
Staffordshire   (Browse area)
ST13 7PE   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01538 304458  or  07971412101

5m  5m  5m  5m

Open: 21st March

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  14 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jenchambers 1 review from this member

The farm owners are absolutely fantastic and very welcoming onto the farm and into the grounds. Within a day our 4 year old son was feeding lambs their milk, feeding the donkeys apples, collecting eggs from the hen house, watching the cows being milked and stroking the calves!

When following the directions given on this site just bear in mind it is left into the dead end and carry on until you see the sign for the camping field - not right as stated in the instructions - this isn't a dead end and ends up taking you to Grindon :)

The field is on a hill so there are limited flat spots, so if you do have a big tent its not for you really. Great spot to go out walking and the owners gave us loads of tips for places to go. We found a lovely 5 mile circular from a nearby village of Hartington which has a couple of lovely pubs and a local store selling loads of local produce including wines, coffee, pasties, bread etc. Even has a fish and chip van in the square on Fridays,

We had a lovely fire on the night and there are fire buckets to borrow and picnic benches in the field for you to use to eat outside with ease.

There's only one shower so there could be a queue if the site is busy but we had no problems and it was lovely and warm and powerful. Nice to have one you can adjust rather than just a push button! Could maybe do with a little more light in there as showering around dusk was tricky.

There are a couple of hook ups in a field across the farm yard - but not in the main camping field.

A really lovely place to go and kids absolutely love it - a very different experience for them!

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Ratty 166 reviews from this member

I stayed at this site for one night whilst in the area for walking.

I enquired by email and the owner came back to me very quickly with all the info I needed and I was told to just arrive and drive in to the field.

Upon arrival I struggled a bit to find the site as it is not signposted from the beginning of the farm track off the road, however I tried a lane and it came up trumps. I drove straight into the field as instructed and found a nice flat spot at the top of the field. The field is on quite a slope, however there are plenty of spots flat enough to pitch a tent or camper van on.

I strolled down to the farmhouse to introduce myself and met the owner. She showed me to the facilities block, offered me wood for the fire pit and told me about a few walks from the site.

I was charged 5 per person for the pitch and this included free use of the showers. The toilets and showers were clean, warm and perfectly usable and did the job.

I was allowed a campfire and they supplied the wood, however I am sure you could bring your own logs.

There are quite a few walks direct from the site and you can walk for miles.

The area has all that the Peaks has to offer within a short distance and is definitely a site I will back to time and time again.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Katealback 1 review from this member

Spent a fabulous week here with three children aged 6, 4 and 2. It was a very quiet site with only one or two other families on the field so plenty of space and privacy. The camping field is lovely, cows and young calves just the other side of the fence so the children loved being woken by the sound of cows and sheep. There are three Donkeys on the farm and the farmers will bring them up to the field next to the tents when there are children staying. They gave me a head collar and lead rein so I could get the donkeys out for the children to ride and groom whenever I wanted. It is a working dairy farm so by the end of our trip my 6 year old was running down to the milking barn by herself in the morning to help the farmer with the milking duties, bringing back fresh milk for breakfast each day. Super friendly farming family who are very welcoming of children and happy to let them join in the farm activities.

Toilets were always very clean and well lit, as was the shower, quite warm and just about powerful enough to wash long thick hair. They provide fire pits and loge are available for 2 per bags. They do not have the grill to put over the fire pit so you need to take your own.

Down sides - it is a 2 or thee minute walk down the lane from the camp field to the toilet and wash up block. The wash up area is pretty small so not great if there are lots of campers. There is one water tap at the bottom of the camping field which felt like a long way as we pitched furthest away from the gate. There is no shop locally, or cash point without driving into Leek or Ashbourne so go prepared.

A really fabulous trip with loads to do and see locally. Really recommend it.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tasha270588 1 review from this member

Lovely camp-site on a working farm. Lovely people gill will do anything to help. We as a family have visited about 6 times now and can not wait to go back my two boys aged 3 and 4 years absolutely love going to see the cows being milked and getting eggs from the chickens and stroking the donkeys and horses as well as playing with the dogs. Lovely and peaceful no need to worry about the kids they can just run and play. And once it cools down at night a perfect end to the day is having a fire in the fire pits that are available. Facilities are kept spotless and more than enough for what is needed. Lovely pub the Jervis arms not far from the site very friendly and a lovely day out down to manifold valley. All in all a brilliant break away. Would recommend to anyone.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: ALIBON 1 review from this member

On arrival we found the camping field was on a slope which we expected looking at previous reviews but we made our way to the top and found a level pitch. We had been told we could use electric hook up but after speaking to the owners it transpired that this pitch was quite close to the farmhouse and they had recently had a problem with a water leak near to it so we opted to stay in the main field and used our generator when necessary. The views from our caravan were absolutely spectacular and for the time of year, we couldn't have had a better week in the sun, sitting outside for breakfast and around a campfire at night. There is a fair walk to the toilets and shower and on the way back to the field it is uphill. The facilities are basic but clean - 3 toilets and one shower plus a washing up area. There are plenty of pubs in the local area which do nice meals but we had to drive to them - best value for money was the Manifold Inn for a liquid & snack lunch but we called in at the Black Lion in Butterton one evening and their food was lovely. I suppose the Black Lion could be within walking distance from the campsite but my brother-in-law was suffering with his ankle so we opted for the car. There are also plenty of walks to choose from in the area. The owners are very friendly and will sell you eggs and milk if required. At 10 per night, we will definitely be visiting this site again.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tazsmum 25 reviews from this member

Two great nights here for walking on The Roaches. Lovely people, great site, and very quiet. Have already recommended site to others.

We don't use EHU, but it is available if needed.

Toilets etc basic, but immaculate. Quite a trek, and torch might be handy after dark!

This is the sort of relaxed site we choose, no need for rules and regulations as people simply respect others and their surroundings.

Previous     14 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Staffordshire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more