Visitor Reviews - Elmwicke Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Gloucestershire > Site Reviews

Elmwicke Campsite
Copse Green Lane
Elmstone Hardwicke
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire   (Browse area)
GL519TB   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  1m  1m 5m   5m  5m  1m  1m

Open: July And August

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  17 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: ChopperHarris 3 reviews from this member

Just back from a slightly chilly mid-August stay at Elmwicke. The site is located in beautiful countryside, with great views out over the Malvern hills. The only slight negative is its proximity to the M5, which adds a slight but noticeable background drone.

The site itself is very much back to basics - it's a large field with one shower, two toilets, two urinals, two washbasins, a washing up point and free roaming sheep! Although the facilities are small, Ruth (the owner) worked incredibly hard to keep them clean, visiting several times a day.

We really enjoyed being able to set a campfire and BBQ by the tent - the fire helped keep the chill away somewhat on an unusually cold August evening. The farm will also supply BBQ boxes and breakfasts. We had the BBQ box, and were very impressed - lovely steak and lamb burgers plus sausages, all locally sourced. It was also supplied with bread and a fantastic, fresh salad that was prepared by hand.

Other highlights were a trailer ride for the kids, followed by a tour of the farm buildings. My girls were very impressed to have been shown an owl pellet, complete with rat skull! The local pub (about 1. 5 miles away) is The Gloucester Old Spot and served excellent food, beer and cider.

Can't speak highly enough of this lovely little site - I'm sure we'll be back!

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Steve tiddles1 1 review from this member

Had 2 nights camping here what a fantastic lovely place. We had a group of 10 of friends and family including children ranging from 8 to 15 years of age. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. Bags of wood for the fire pit only 3. The field is very spacious and it was great seeing the farm animals. The kids enjoyed a ride on the trailer when the wood was delivered. The toilets and shower was immaculate and although there was only one shower it didn't really bother us as the shower was available all through the day. We will definitely be going back. My only criticism is that it only open currently for July and August. This is a fab campsite with soft flat pitches I totally recommend this site. Thank you ruth and john

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: JazzieB 1 review from this member

We spent the weekend at Elmwicke Campsite. It was sunny on arrival and we pitched our tent up then our friends joined us and pitched theirs. We had a firepit oil drum available for our campfire. The campsite is a large fairly flat field off a lane but within a working farm. The really friendly owners came by later to collect the fees 15 per night and we also bought some wood from them at 3 per bag. They had lots of meat bundles on offer to buy if wanted but we had bought some already. What was a nice touch was that the owners had a trailer so our kids and others from the site could ride around the field whilst delivering wood and food. The kids loved this. The campsite has one shower and two loos plus a urinal and it was all immaculate. It is one of the cleanest sites we've been to and the owners were really friendly too. If I was being really picky the only tiny downside was hearing the M5 at night but after a while it became background noise. There was no shade or play equipment for the children but they played cricket and other ball games so they were happy. We camped at the bottom of the field having never stayed before, however we noticed that a number of tents were pitched at the top near the shower block. We realised that the top end of the field had far reaching views over the Malvern hills and also the wonderful sunsets. So a top tip would be to go further up the field if you're looking for views and catching the last rays of sunshine as late in the day as possible. However where we were no one walked past us. It is a great place to explore neighbouring Cheltenham and loads of retail therapy nearby, a huge Next, Sainsburys, Halfords, Argos so all needs can be met :) there is also a fabulous recently refurbished huge park for the children in Cheltenham that has play areas, nature trail, river boats, cafes and more. To sum up a great place to stay, very clean facilities and great hosts. We'll be going back for sure and we would really recommend it.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nuggie 1 review from this member

I stayed here with my two children aged 6 and 3. It was our first camping trip. I chose this site as it was low key but had hot a shower and proper toilets - a must for my first camping trip. I loved that it was on a working farm, not that you would know as it was extremely peaceful. The field is huge and even though we were very lucky that there were only half a dozen campers, even with more people there would be plenty of space to not feel like you are tripping over people. The toilets were Very well maintained and always had a fresh supply of loo roll and paper towels. I didn't try the shower due to having my two girs with me alone. There is a washing up sink. Even washing up liquid was provided!

The owners are lovely lovely people who don't interfere but are on hand should you need anything. I needed a hand with my first ever fire (in the provided fire pits) and nothing was too much trouble. They love children, they'd kept a strip of long grass in the middle of the field so the children could explore the wildlife and 'go on a bear hunt'; and I even had a cup of tea made for me on arrival while I put the tent up!

The location is handy for Cheltenham and the rest of the cotswolds. There were people there who were going to the Air Tattoo at Fairford. There is a pub down the road but we didn't go so I can't comment. We were happy to kick back around a roaring fire and watch the sunset.

It's a shame they only open in July and August but then I guess it makes it exclusive. I will definitely be back! This is what I imagined camping to be like. Thanks for making my first trip an amazing experience. I'm now hooked.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nanamin 1 review from this member

The site was exactly as a farm campsite should be. We had difficulty finding it at first but it was simple to find if we had looked carefully as we turned into the lane.

The site was clean, a bit bumpy, but level to pitch a tent and have good sleeping level ground. Our arrival was greeted by the farm owner and she gave us coffee whilst we pitched, in the rain! The next tent was friendly too. The views were brilliant. Including Malvern Hills, Bredon Hill and I think it was Cleeve Hill too. Our grandson of 5yrs was excited to be having first camping experience and the site was perfect for him to be safe at all times. We saw the sheep, budgies and the dog was his favourite pet. Going down the lane we came to horses, tiny and big!

The shower was lovely and free! The toilets were kept clean and smelt good too. Loved the sprays etc.

Campfire was most appreciated as it was not necessarily very warm weather. We stayed 3 nights and visited Tewkesbury, Cheltenham and watched wing-walking over the campsite as Staverton airport is not far away. The grandson loved it all.

Little playpark in the middle of the field was for younger children but still enjoyed by 5yr old.

Lovely site and will return.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Smileyman762 1 review from this member

Well first of all its a field. But not just any field but an extra special just for you field! Loads of space and my own personal fire pit where I could get back to my caveman tendencies. Toilet block is basic but very clean and functional. We got a really warm welcome and then there was the bbq. You can't come here and not try this. Epic. Breakfast was great too. And topped off with a tea and coffee to go. Loved it and didn't realise how much until we arrived at the next robotic campsite where the welcome reception looked like they'd been licking something not so good of a thistle. 10/10 for Elmwicke.

Previous     17 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gloucestershire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more