Visitor Reviews - Polmanter Tourist Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Polmanter Tourist Park
Halsetown
St Ives
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR26 3LX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m   1m

Open: Easter To End Of October

Reviews:  138 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hooster 6 reviews from this member

At first glance Polmanter appears to well deserve it's five star rating - the site itself is clean and well kept, pitches are all a good size with privacy hedges between each one. There are a number of facilities blocks as well as a good sized laundry room. The swimming pool is a good size, well maintained and a good temperature and the existence of the bar and food area is always useful. Sadly however when you look a little closer you see that Polmanter is a tired park with some of it's shine having been worn off - undoubtedly the five stars were justified some years ago but maybe not anymore.

The toilet blocks were varied, the oldest one which serves Wicca and Consuls pitches is very dated, the tiles in the blocks are old and some of the grout could do with renewing, the tiles in the actual shower cubicles have been replaced however only up to a certain height above which the old yellowing tiles are still visible which ruins the effect of the new. The showers in these were also a bit hit and miss; water ranged from very hot to luke warm depending on which cubicle you went into and the pressure changed between showers too. The cubicles themselves are a little small - although there is a good sized area for drying and dressing the actual shower feels a bit claustrophobic. There was insufficient water flow away and so by 9am the whole floor of the block was wet from the showers making it a bit dangerous. The toilet cubicles in this block are also much smaller than those found in the newer block based in Morvah. In this new block showers are the same size but far better designed (the actual shower is a step down from the dressing area stopping the flooding problem) and the whole place has a newer cleaner feel. This block also has disabled facilities and family rooms.

The swimming pool, as mentioned, was a good size, clean and a good temperature however it opened at 9am meaning that if, like many people, you like to start your day with a swim your day had to start very late. 8am opening would be far better here.

The reception area is big and the staff very helpful however more information for dog owners about dog friendly beaches (not just those few in St Ives) would be really useful, especially as there are so many dog owners who use the site. Ont his note I should say the dog field is great - a good size and secure.

The shop is a good size and holds lots of useful items (camping essentials such as pegs etc) however when you look at the range of food on offer you realise that while the space is big the shelves are sparse. Maybe this is because we were there just outside of the main season but the park was around 60% full if not more so it seems a shame to have reduced stock so early.

The laundry room is a good size with lots of machines however in order to get clothes dry in the tumble dryers you will need to pay £2 for 30 minutes as the 15 minutes simply takes some of the damp off but no more.

Pitches were a great size however all had some slope on - in fact while at first we were a bit disappointed with the slope on ours (meaning that all furniture had to have something jammed under a leg to even it up) when we looked around we realised that there were some far worse off. Not so much of a problem with a caravan or motorhome but in a tent that slope can make life very difficult.

This last observation may be personal taste but we did find the park a little impersonal. Maybe because of its size or maybe we got a bit unlucky but when walking round the park at least 50% of the other residents you passed would avoid all eye contact, you were lucky to be able to say hello to people and on only a couple of rare occasions did we feel able to stop and have a conversation with people (this was mainly in the dog field with other owners). While it is important to have your own space etc on holiday one of the joys of camping is normally that you get a 'village' feel in that everyone will at least make eye contact and say hello to each other without intruding - at Polmanter this was lacking and it was a real shame.

In all a perfectly nice park with no major problems - just a lot of little niggles which all add up and do take some the shine off. While we don't regret having stayed there we wouldn't use it again.

Reviewer: Alifs 1 review from this member

What a great site and what fantastic attention to detail! From the interactive pitch booking through to the tasty food in the restaurant, Polmanter don't leave anything to chance. Our pitch was level, well-maintained and marked out by low hedges. On a clear day (?!) you can see the Sea. The pool was clean and warm, the shop was well-stocked and not too expensive (and run by friendly staff). The staff on reception were polite and helpful. All the amenities were clean and plentiful. We made full use of the bus into St Ives as Hasletown is a steep climb back from the town. The only minus points from me are that the site isn't as close to the sea as I would like (I appreciate that that is a personal preference and there's absolutely nothing they can do to change it!) and that the shop closed at lunchtime and again at 7pm, both times when we realised we needed something for our meals. However, as you can see from the marks out of ten we've given, we could not have been more impressed by Polmanter and will definitely return. Well done!

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Penguin73 9 reviews from this member

Just got back from a lovely fortnight in St Ives. For once the weather was great.

This is the 3rd time we stopped here and overall had a great time.

Just have a few niggles with the site. Charged my son who 17 as an adult which I don't have a problem with but then got told he couldn't come swimming with my husband and I to the adult session as he wasn't an adult cus he is under 18. Make your mind up, is he an adult or not!

There were a few problems with the washing machines not working properly according to other campers whilst I was waiting for my washing. My washer door wouldn't open, so husband went to reception and told them, then the owner came just as the machines started working again and I was made to feel thick that I didn't know how to open a washer door.

Apart from this had a great time but not sure if we would go again as we feel that it is now too expensive and doesn't give value for money.

Reviewer: Minimonty 1 review from this member

We stayed here in July/Aug for 'our first time'& boy were we impressed! Polmanter is an amazing park with great facilities. Worthy of it's 5* rating. Immaculately clean, well presented, great sized pitches not on top of each other. The reception staff are all excellent but 1 lady in particular was very helpful& friendly& nothing was to much trouble for her. The shop was well stocked for those forgotten items such as washing powder!which brings me to the launderette, very useful, machines easy to work & not too expensive. However tumble dryer does need at least £2 to get stuff dry if raining. The stable bar has an excellent variety of food on the menu & is great value for money, with a great selection of cask ales for anyone who enjoys a good pint like my husband. They have a child free part inside for those who don't have kids with them. The pool looked amazing, thou we didn't manage to get in it as we were to busy, site seeing. The bus service into St Ives is great £1. 50 each & drops you off in the square handy for shops/bars etc. We found although the site was full it never seamed over crowded & most campers were very friendly. The toilet blocks are immaculately clean& always seamed plenty free to use even in busy times. The pot wash area is of good size with plenty sinks/drainers&very clean. The staff take great care in the up keep of the park, nothing is too much trouble for them. I could go on but all I will say is 'hooked'!We stayed in Levant this time but

We walked around the park before coming home & picked 'our pitch' in Morvah for next year( Aug 2014) we can't wait to return!

Reviewer: Blake5 1 review from this member

Iíll try and keep this short and sweet as so many have reviewed this site already, but I felt Iíd also like to add my complements to Polmanter.

This site is fantastic, and really is 5* camping. Itís clean, well run, relaxed, friendly, and didnít feel Ďbusyí although most pitches were in use (first week of July).

Booking up was an easy experience. I was able to pre-book a particular pitch on their website; this was chosen using their interactive pitch map. Unfortunately the one I wanted wasnít available, but when I had to make an adjustment to the date a few weeks later I was kindly informed my original choice was now available. This sort of service is very much appreciated.

The site is well signposted and easy to find. All information with regard to the site and local area were diligently explained on arrival, and an information pack was provided.

The pitches are generous in size, and separated by hedges. It can be a bit breezy towards the south end of the site, so if this is of concern Iíd probably look to avoid the top parts of Morvah etc.

The cleanliness of the site also impressed me. All of the facilities provided were kept immaculately clean, and I found that they were always left open during peak times. Whenever I had to use the toilet block nearly all showers, sinks and WCís were available to use Ė so no waiting or hanging around.

The bus service into St. Ives was an added bonus. Itís £1. 50 per person, each way, but I felt this was worth it. It certainly saved trying to park the car, meant the OH and myself could have a drink in town, plus it saved us having to make the steep walk back uphill to the site. Brilliant!

Hmm, that review wasnít quite short and sweet! I could go on forever, but the previous reviews speak for themselves. Iíd thoroughly recommend staying in Polmater. Right, Iím off to book another week there in September!

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Gemma1675 42 reviews from this member

A really nice site. The pitches are good sized and we like the low hedges around them, gives some privacy. The bar was really nicely done out, and the food while expensive was good so we ended up going twice. We risked the pool on one of the warmer days and it was fine once you were in. The showers were nice and powerful. Walk into St Ives is lovely, and the bus back was very welcome as its pretty hilly! The Toddler play area was really good - clearly good quality equipment and our little one adored the wooden vw camper. The best play area we've come across to be honest.

Previous     138 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth £467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!