Visitor Reviews - Ship & Anchor Marina Camping Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > West Sussex > Site Reviews

Ship & Anchor Marina Camping Site
Heywood & Bryett Limited
Ford
Arundel
West Sussex   (Browse area)
BN18 0BJ   See Map

Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport

Reviews:  75 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Murph10375 1 review from this member

So, I am new to this motor homing malarky and recently bought a motorhome. Wanting to try it out not too far from home I began a search the night before I was due to set off. I made an enquiry late at night for a different campsite to the Ship and Anchor and in the morning awaited a reply. I waited for as long as I dare, without a response and then set off in the hope they had space. Approximately an hour into my journey I received a message stating that the camp site was too wet (due to the recent bad weather) and was not open. My heart sank and I thought about turning back. Just as I was mulling this over I rounded a bend in the road and saw Arundel Castle, high up on the hill. I thought to myself this looks amazing and I'd want to visit. No sooner as I saw the castle I saw a brown fingerboard showing me the way to a campsite. I arrived at the Ship and Anchor and noted it was a quiet site with 2 other motorhomes and a number of caravans in a separate filed. I rang the bell and the warden appeared. He was hesitant in letting me stay (again due to the wet weather) but after a quick look showed me onto an EHU point. There were many warning signs regarding noise and music (both frowned upon) but thought lets give it a go. Cash payment only (no card) and I was settled. The EHU points have a honeycomb plastic hard standing, however my inexperience showed through and I missed it slightly, in doing so managed to churn the glass slightly. I could sense the displeasure and apologised profusely.

After getting set up we had a good look around. The camp site, having never been to one before and not really knowing what to expect was, in my view, excellent and catered for everything we needed. The toilet block was large and functional. Attached were 3 shower cubicles (token operated ((50p)). Wash up and hand was facilities.

The real jewel in the crown was the Ship and Anchor PH. Traditional out of town pub serving a number of beers you've never really heard of, but quaint all the same. That said, the food was amazing. I plumbed for the Belly of Pork and it came with the creamiest potato mash and the biggest piece of cracking I have ever seen. Totally gobsmacked as to why this pub was not busier than it was!

A 5 minute walk takes you to Ford train stating along a busy rural road, but has a footpath so no real issues and Arundel is 1 stop down the line. The Castle is a further 10 minute walk from the train station so is manageable for most.

Being so close to the train station is noticeable. There is some train noise and road noise, although I found these to be more than bearable. There is a small children play area and this could do with some TLC.

All said and done, for my first attempt I was pleased with how things turned out. Having never done this before and chancing upon the Ship and Anchor has really cemented my passion for going out and seeing what the world has to offer.

If the management read this - Thanks for putting me up. Thanks for putting up with me. And sorry, I hope the grass grows back quickly.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sunnydays08 3 reviews from this member

This is a little gem of a site especially if you want to have rest and relaxation. There is a traditional pub on the site that is very welcoming and does serve meals. The pub is not open every day. There is a small play area for the children. They have private river bank access for walking dogs or for going for a lovely stroll along the Arun. The site is quiet and the gate closes at 21. 00 and does not reopen till 08. 00.

The Manager was very welcoming and went through everything we needed to know.

The facilities were immaculate and I do mean immaculate. The toilets and shower block are accessed with a code and are spotless.

There is some noise from the road at the side of the camp but it didn't disturb us too much and also their is a train line running nearby but again it was not too disturbing.

So much to do and see in this area Arundel, Littlehampton and its beaches, and not too far away Chichester and Brighton.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: SteveandSandra 3 reviews from this member

The first impression you get of the site, is that it needs money spent on it. The entrance signs are faded and in disrepair. You turn in by the reception, which is open for three hours a day ( or on demand, on arrival) ring the bell opposite. The warden was very friendly and showed us all we needed to know. I could not pay my fees with a card- cash only.

The site is level and the grass was cut, there were some pitches where the base was showing through. There is an area for the ehu in the middle and tents around the outside of the field. Noise was not really an issue, sure you hear kids playing and trains running but neither bothered us.

The amenities block- what can I say. Very dated, like going back in time, there were 8 cubicles in the gents, half of which were always locked. Three showers, you pay extra for these, nice hot water though and many sinks- but no separate cubicles for privacy washing.

The pub next door served nice food but again has seen better days.

To sum up. Friendly but at 20+ per night and extra for the showers, I for one don't think it offers good value.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Netti noodles 1 review from this member

Stayed here for 1 night as just purchased our first Motor home and wanted to try it out! Fab site, very clean and tidy, great facilities, EHU, camping, caravans and motor homes on site, washing up facilities, laundry area, very clean toilet and shower block, even had a bath!. Playground area for the little ones, lovely pub on site with great food and lovely staff. And right along side the river, great for dog walks. Had a very enjoyable stay and booked up again for the BH Weekend at the end of May!

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: A N JENNER 1 review from this member

Stayed here for the weekend with two other couples all in vans or caravans. Good level pitches with well kept grass that was in a very good state at the end of the season. Only a few other vans in the same field and facilities were good and clean. Great location with lovely river side walks to Arundel and Littlehampton. Ford market just down the road with a market both days. Pub next door provided good food and ale. The site staff were friendly and helpful and we will return next year when it is a bit warmer.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bob61 24 reviews from this member

This was the third time I had visited this site and it doesn't seem to have changed at all. Which is good because it is one of my favourite sites. It is quite a small site which seems to accommodate mainly caravans in one field and tents and motorhomes and an occasional caravan in another, with a small section for adults only. There are several EHU pillars which are sensibly placed so that pitch positions can be rotated allowing the grass to recover. There are also some marked EHU pitches. There is no EHU in the adults section as they like to look upon that as the 'quiet' area although I am not quite sure what difference electricity makes. The grass is plush and neatly mown giving a good and clean base beneath tents but firm enough for wheeled units.

With regards to noise the nearby railway seems to get louder each time I go. It seemed particularly noisy this time at night with trains running until about 1. 00am and then a brief respite until they started again about 4. 00am. Perhaps the volume of the noise has to do with whichever way the wind is blowing. However, it is good to have the railway station about 5-10 minutes walk up the road (on a pavement) and it cost me 2. 80 return to Littlehampton. I am guessing the same to Arundel. There is no ticket office at Ford though so you have to get your ticket from a machine which doesn't always work as it should. It should provide one away ticket and one return ticket but in my case it only provided one away ticket so I had to plead with a rather bored and miserable ticket inspector at Littlehampton to let me return again. Walking to either town takes approximately an hour along the river bank but it's not easy walking because the path is a little lumpy and not too well maintained.

I have only used the pub next to the site once in my three visits and have never eaten there although it seems to get good reviews. It does not open at all on Mondays. It advertises the best fish and chips in Ford to eat there or take away. They could actually be the worst fish and chips in Ford because there are no other eating places in Ford. Except for the prison down the road but you can only 'eat in' there!

The facilities block sometimes gets a bad mention in reviews but although the sinks might be old fashioned and the block a little outdated compared with bigger more expensive sites, there are plenty of sinks, loos and showers and all are cleaned immaculately. I didn't see a spider or moth anywhere. There is a code entry system which stops members of the public from the pub using it. Perhaps one annoying thing for me was that the toilet paper was in single sheets encased in locked metal boxes and can sometimes pull out shredded. And a big handful of straw-like paper isn't a good substance for wiping bums.

I am not sure whether they charge per person or per unit but as a solo camper I was charged 14 a night (in a 5 man tent) including EHU which has to be very good at this time of year.

I would certainly recommend this site but not to too many people or they will all want to go there!

Previous     75 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in West Sussex   -   Search for a site

Win a Colibri Lux Sleeping Bag and Sim Bundle worth over 270 Win East Anglian Game & Country Fair Camping Weekend Tickets!

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game and Country Fair 28 to 29 April
Thetford. Weekend Camping available. Plus win tickets in our competition ...more