Visitor Reviews - Ship & Anchor Marina Camping Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > West Sussex > Site Reviews

Ship & Anchor Marina Camping Site
Heywood & Bryett Limited
Ford
Arundel
West Sussex   (Browse area)
BN18 0BJ   See Map
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Shop <1 mile   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport

Reviews:  76 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: John Janet 4 reviews from this member

Following visiting friends, we decided to make a trip of it on the way home and, as far as possible, travel as close to the south coast as we could. The Ship and Anchor was ideally placed to stop off, so we decided to have a couple of nights here to break the journey.

On arrival it looked a bit strange with Private property signs close to adverts for the Ship & Anchor pub, which is on the same site.

On the right of the drive as we entered was a field full of caravans, but these seem to be seasonal pitches, as there was hardly anyone in them. The touring field is on the left, this is quite large and level, and had a few vans and campers in it, but plenty of spare space. We rang the bell and the warden appeared promptly to take payment (cash only) and show us to a pitch.

The pitches appear to be all grass, but underneath is a plastic lattice to stop you sinking in. There also seems to be a solid base under the grass, because I needed to get out the rock pegs to put up the awning.

You need a code to access the facilities block. Once inside everything is clean enough, but showing its age. The showers require a 50p token, which gives about 10 minutes of shower time - more than enough for me. The water is hot and plentiful, but the cubicles (both shower and toilet) are rather small.

Soon after we arrived, the owner approached us to apologise that there may be some noise early the next morning because contractors would be working on the children's play area. In the event, the noise was minimal, and we weren't inconvenienced at all.

There is no dog walking on site, but there is a private access to the bank of the River Arun, and we found other footpaths nearby to exercise our dog, and generally unwind.

The on-site pub is closed on Mondays, but we used it on Tuesday and had a very pleasant meal.

The road outside the site is quite busy, and there is some noise, both from this and the nearby railway, although not so loud as to be intrusive.

In summary this is not a bad site, but rather expensive for what it is. Would I stay again? Probably not, but if I had reason to be in the area I wouldn't say never.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Murph10375 1 review from this member

So, I am new to this motor homing malarky and recently bought a motorhome. Wanting to try it out not too far from home I began a search the night before I was due to set off. I made an enquiry late at night for a different campsite to the Ship and Anchor and in the morning awaited a reply. I waited for as long as I dare, without a response and then set off in the hope they had space. Approximately an hour into my journey I received a message stating that the camp site was too wet (due to the recent bad weather) and was not open. My heart sank and I thought about turning back. Just as I was mulling this over I rounded a bend in the road and saw Arundel Castle, high up on the hill. I thought to myself this looks amazing and I'd want to visit. No sooner as I saw the castle I saw a brown fingerboard showing me the way to a campsite. I arrived at the Ship and Anchor and noted it was a quiet site with 2 other motorhomes and a number of caravans in a separate filed. I rang the bell and the warden appeared. He was hesitant in letting me stay (again due to the wet weather) but after a quick look showed me onto an EHU point. There were many warning signs regarding noise and music (both frowned upon) but thought lets give it a go. Cash payment only (no card) and I was settled. The EHU points have a honeycomb plastic hard standing, however my inexperience showed through and I missed it slightly, in doing so managed to churn the glass slightly. I could sense the displeasure and apologised profusely.

After getting set up we had a good look around. The camp site, having never been to one before and not really knowing what to expect was, in my view, excellent and catered for everything we needed. The toilet block was large and functional. Attached were 3 shower cubicles (token operated ((50p)). Wash up and hand was facilities.

The real jewel in the crown was the Ship and Anchor PH. Traditional out of town pub serving a number of beers you've never really heard of, but quaint all the same. That said, the food was amazing. I plumbed for the Belly of Pork and it came with the creamiest potato mash and the biggest piece of cracking I have ever seen. Totally gobsmacked as to why this pub was not busier than it was!

A 5 minute walk takes you to Ford train stating along a busy rural road, but has a footpath so no real issues and Arundel is 1 stop down the line. The Castle is a further 10 minute walk from the train station so is manageable for most.

Being so close to the train station is noticeable. There is some train noise and road noise, although I found these to be more than bearable. There is a small children play area and this could do with some TLC.

All said and done, for my first attempt I was pleased with how things turned out. Having never done this before and chancing upon the Ship and Anchor has really cemented my passion for going out and seeing what the world has to offer.

If the management read this - Thanks for putting me up. Thanks for putting up with me. And sorry, I hope the grass grows back quickly.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sunnydays08 3 reviews from this member

This is a little gem of a site especially if you want to have rest and relaxation. There is a traditional pub on the site that is very welcoming and does serve meals. The pub is not open every day. There is a small play area for the children. They have private river bank access for walking dogs or for going for a lovely stroll along the Arun. The site is quiet and the gate closes at 21. 00 and does not reopen till 08. 00.

The Manager was very welcoming and went through everything we needed to know.

The facilities were immaculate and I do mean immaculate. The toilets and shower block are accessed with a code and are spotless.

There is some noise from the road at the side of the camp but it didn't disturb us too much and also their is a train line running nearby but again it was not too disturbing.

So much to do and see in this area Arundel, Littlehampton and its beaches, and not too far away Chichester and Brighton.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: SteveandSandra 3 reviews from this member

The first impression you get of the site, is that it needs money spent on it. The entrance signs are faded and in disrepair. You turn in by the reception, which is open for three hours a day ( or on demand, on arrival) ring the bell opposite. The warden was very friendly and showed us all we needed to know. I could not pay my fees with a card- cash only.

The site is level and the grass was cut, there were some pitches where the base was showing through. There is an area for the ehu in the middle and tents around the outside of the field. Noise was not really an issue, sure you hear kids playing and trains running but neither bothered us.

The amenities block- what can I say. Very dated, like going back in time, there were 8 cubicles in the gents, half of which were always locked. Three showers, you pay extra for these, nice hot water though and many sinks- but no separate cubicles for privacy washing.

The pub next door served nice food but again has seen better days.

To sum up. Friendly but at 20+ per night and extra for the showers, I for one don't think it offers good value.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Netti noodles 1 review from this member

Stayed here for 1 night as just purchased our first Motor home and wanted to try it out! Fab site, very clean and tidy, great facilities, EHU, camping, caravans and motor homes on site, washing up facilities, laundry area, very clean toilet and shower block, even had a bath!. Playground area for the little ones, lovely pub on site with great food and lovely staff. And right along side the river, great for dog walks. Had a very enjoyable stay and booked up again for the BH Weekend at the end of May!

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: A N JENNER 1 review from this member

Stayed here for the weekend with two other couples all in vans or caravans. Good level pitches with well kept grass that was in a very good state at the end of the season. Only a few other vans in the same field and facilities were good and clean. Great location with lovely river side walks to Arundel and Littlehampton. Ford market just down the road with a market both days. Pub next door provided good food and ale. The site staff were friendly and helpful and we will return next year when it is a bit warmer.

Previous     76 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in West Sussex   -   Search for a site

Win an Outwell Barbecue Package worth 249 Win a Clarke IG2000B 1.8kW Suitcase Generator worth 299

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 7th to 7th July, Derbyshire