Visitor Reviews - Farmhouse Caravan & Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > West Sussex > Site Reviews

Farmhouse Caravan & Camping
Tottington Drive
Small Dole
Henfield
West Sussex   (Browse area)
BN5 9XZ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  5m

Open: March To November

Reviews:  45 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Denty 11 reviews from this member

With so many positive reviews I was curious as to why Aug 2012 was the last review date so thought I'd go and investigate. Well done to the owners for opening before the main season.

Easy to find, at the end of a short road of ordinary houses, convenience store very nearby and Henfield itself probably only about a mile away with a selection of shops.

In essence, this site is someone's back garden, albeit a large one, and reception is their lounge window! Owners seemed pleasant and helpful.

A large, flat and level square all grass field, electrical hook-ups round the edges, ground felt it would cope with lots of rain without going to mud and was excellent for tent pegs, although I felt this site is very much geared towards caravans.

Views of the Downs in one direction were just excellent, 180 degrees opposite were the fences of domestic back gardens so simply point your chair in the direction of the sea!.

The facitlites area has clearly marked rubbish and recycling bins, Elsan point, fresh water tap and uncovered washing up area.

As mentioned in reviews going back years, the toilet and shower area really let this site down badly - a lot could be improved by spending a summer weekend's fees on it, for example, and would show the owners were at least making an effort. Showers are token controlled, sign said 75p for 5 mins. Hand basin has electric water, soap provided.

On the subject of fees, tents from 10, caravans from 13, think dogs free.

Goat, chickens and ducks are tethered / free to roam in the field which I think adds a nice touch.

Overall, a pleasant and relaxing site, good views, a useful base for visiting local attractions / coast, sensible charging structure but let down by the facilities. I would return.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Steam warrior 1 review from this member

Had a fantastic stay here as we do every year because we and our children enjoy the freedom to enjoy the site and the regulars we meet there each time to catch up. The owners have known us since we were kids and we have attended the site almost every year for the past 20 years. the owners are a wonderful couple and very tolerant of many things and people, which makes the site a pleasant, usually quiet, place to stay. I wouldn't advise couples or singles to use this site as it is a FAMILY site.

The toilet and showers are a bit old fashioned and could do with an upgrade. the site has a large selection of wildfowl and some goats which goes down very well with the kids and adults too! You can also buy very fresh eggs for a very reasonable cost and I would recommend any one tries at least one for breakfast!

The site offers electric hookup if you require it and there is a local shop for those odds and bods you may have forgotten.

This year we had a very small party (with guitars) with a couple, who we knew with their children and another tent with relatives, to celebrate my birthday with the kind permission of the owners.

Thank you guys and see you in 2013.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: MichaelBenj 20 reviews from this member

Met by friendly owner and told to pitch where we wanted but not round the edges. It was fairly dificult to find a space not because it was busy but because it was a free for all and folks were pitched all over the place so difficult to find a space that didn't feel you were staring at another camper. Finally found somewhere OK.

The site is a in a beautiful location with views of the Downs and well placed for Brighton.

Toilets were just about Ok in a kind of 1970's camping way but showers were unpleasant and didn't use.

It was very noisy at night with guitars and kids playing till late at night and then kids up and shouting at 6am too. All very laid back which is great sometimes but a bit of thought for other campers would have been appreciated.

All in all I'm a bit unsure. Cheap site and friendly owners but not organised at all and the toilets would be unpleasant for longer than the two nights I stayed.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Melmel74 17 reviews from this member

We stayed here for 2 nights over a very wet weekend. The field was large and spacious - we pitched at the far end. Our first night was dry and the kids played out with some other children at the back of the field. The site seems very laid back which was great. There was some very loud music coming from somewhere though - maybe a local pub or the houses nearby?

Other noises that I found intriguing in the night were an odd munching noise - probably some kind of animal. I went out the tent about 1am but couldn't see anything. Nice full moon though and no lights on site so saw lots of stars.

Some lovely views of the south downs to be had.

On our 2nd night it poured and poured - I was concerned that we would wake up the next to day to a flooded field. However this was not the case - it was very wet but not muddy. Grass was a little long but with the amount of rain we have had it must be quite hard to keep it cut right back.

Goats, rabbits and geese make an interesting addition to the field!

There are 2 each of ladies and gents loos and showers that need tokens. The showers looked less than new and we didn't use them as only stayed 2 nights. Water was hot in toilets and washing up sink though.

I would say your own toilet is needed if staying at the far end of the field - the amount of rain we had I was very glad we took our own.

No shop on site but not far to the village. It looks like a lot of people use this site to keep their caravans on which made it hard to tell how many people were actually on site. Not many tenters about but that was fine.

This is great site for visiting the area - we tend not to stay on site and wanted somewhere we could turn up to at the last minute without paying a deposit and for less than a tenner a night.

This fits the bill perfectly. Other sites nearby charge over 25 per night.

I recommend a trip to Arundel - they have a nice outdoor lido if the showers on site put you off!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Samwillis 9 reviews from this member

A great site for a weekend break (or longer), nice clean field with toilets and showers, very reasonable rates for motorhomes. Animals on site such as goats, rabbits, guinea pigs and geese, chickens etc which are fun for children. Took my jack russell who loved it especially the nearby walks in either woodlands or open fields. Great pub just 5 minutes walk, open all day if they have customers there. Shop even closer. Would definitely go again and will be booking a spot during July/August.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Muchadoo 2 reviews from this member

I am afraid I was not impressed with Blacklands.

There were no hard standings so I was a little concerned that, following a period of prolonged rain, we would not be able to get off the field. Luckily we did.

There are plenty of electric hook-ups but I would have liked a hard standing with proper marked out individual camping areas, like all the other camp sites I have stayed on.

The facilities blocks were not impressive and left me with the feeling that they were shabby ex portable cabins (we decided not to use them). I thought those days were gone, especially at 20 which is the most I have ever paid for one night.

The lady that booked us in was certainly very friendly and the children (lots) camping there were enjoying themselves, even up to nearly 11 o'clock at night, so it is probably better suited to families in tents rather than one nighters travelling through.

I would not return and cannot recommend them.

Previous     45 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in West Sussex   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!