Went to visit pen y fan caravan site just for a day and decided to book in for couple of nights to test out our caravan, toilet blocks always clean, site is lovely and clean, owners really friendly. The seasonal pitches Are a great size just pity there isnt loads more available for people to site as would be ideal the site shop is brilliant stocked well, lovely walking path, and near by pond beautiful in the sun. Only down side is pub not always open, park needs to be a bit bigger, maybe some entertainment a little water park would be a great asset to site. Over all would return plus hoping to put name on waiting list for seasonal pitch
Came to this site as it is local and for me to try out our new caravan. As I live within walking distance of this site, I come here in the Springtime to see what improvements have been made over the winter months. The trouble with this Caravan park is that it is more of a building site rather than somewhere to camp or stay in a caravan. The site have been open since the late 80's and yet it has never looked any better. You would think that when holiday season approaches, that all the digging would stop.
This site has so much potential, if the owners could just relay the road in the site, upgrade the fences, a new play area for the kids and stop all that digging! (Especially in the summer, as it creates loads of dust. And you have diggers and 4x4s driving up and down the site. )
After 12 months on site we have moved on from here now due to his lordships work moving to another part of the country so here is our final 12 month review
Not so good items: Room for improvements
(1) electric hook ups are only 6 amp and considering its 2013 perhaps needs to be 16 amp now. If you take a pitch with the electric on a meter be warned its not the cheapest option
(2) pitches, watch out on the hardstandings, 2 punctures on tyres which at £150 each isnt cheap, type 2 hardcore which doesn't always remove those pesky nails and screws
(3) noise levels, sometimes the locals come out to camp and do they make some noise and till late, recently a rally was on site and to be singing anti english songs at 0200 wasn't the kind of behaviours a good campsite should be allowing
So the good bits:
(1) Secured site, some parts being developed and take this as a good thing
(2) Bar and cafe on site does some good meals, had several meals in the place, eaten in and if you ring in advance they can either do a plated meal or sandwiches to take down to your vans
(3) loads to do in the area too many to list but there is Asda, KFC, Mac's, Pizza Hut, Halfords etc Blackwood loads of different shops etc. One place of note is the Viceroy Indian in Ystrad Mynach, definitely one to visit
(4) Good site for contractors to stay on whilst working in Wales.
(5) Facilities are good, clean and tidy, very hot push button showers but you will come out clean
(6) Out of the way, top of the hill, lovely fresh winds are refreshing when it gets a good blast going on but be assured on a sunny day get that sun cream out as you will need it
(7) on site shop has lots of bits and pieces which can bail you out if you need it
(8) reception and information centre has lots in it
So 12 mths on site and we had to depart due to his work changes, so what did it mean to us then and the big question
Would we return to this site. We would go back there for a break, its a good site overall, needs a little work to really make a difference but we would consider using it again.
The campsite was ok; facilities fine, apart from the noisy pub. Weather wasn't good, but not their fault. Welcome was good with friendly staff. However, there is no mention on their website of the commercial tip at the bottom of the campsite which somewhat spoils the overall view when you go for a walk. Also, nothing has been mentioned about the gun club which uses the site. We were woken by BANG BANG BANG on what was supposed to be a peaceful Sunday morning! This went on for several hours. For these two reasons, we won't be returning as the noise ruined our weekend and overshadowed the good customer service by the staff.
Submit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win a caravan towing course or motorhome manoeuvring course worth up to £145, or £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of The Caravan Club. Join the Club for just £44 per year to enjoy access to a great range of caravan sites, benefits and special offers.
If you've visited this site, then please submit a review for a chance to win.
All reviews and comments are the personal opinion of the review author only , and as such do not represent the view of the UK Camp Site.co.uk.
The facilities shown on this website are a guide only, and you should check with the campsite direct before making any booking. The UKCampsite.co.uk will not be held responsible for any errors or omissions