Visitor Reviews - Pondwell Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > Isle Of Wight > Site Reviews

Pondwell Camp Site
Salterns Rd
Seaview
Ryde
Isle Of Wight   (Browse area)
PO34 5AQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01983 612330

1m  1m  5m  1m  1m   5m  5m  1m  1m  5m

Open: April To September

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  37 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Vinylvaughan 13 reviews from this member

Managed to book Pondwell at the last minute. Reception was very helpful. We encountered a few problems with our pitch, as we seemed to be at the bottom of the hill, could not get any tv reception with with our freesat dish. Mobile phone reception seemed to be a problem as well. All was resolved, when we were allowed to move to another pitch and found a signal. At first we found the toilets needed a bit of a clean, no toilet paper, etc. But this was soon resolved. Showers were fine. The Beach and also a Nature reserve is a few minutes walk from the site. There is a Bus stop outside the entrance which goes into Ryde, you can also walk into Ryde along the coastal path, takes about 45 mins. Took the coastal path into St Helens, a pleasant walk, but beware, some of the path is blocked off at high tide ! There is a Pub on the grounds, that serves food. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Pondwell.

Reviewer: Jazzy Bee 4 reviews from this member

I have stayed on this lovely site each August Bank Holiday for the Scooter Rally in Ryde for the last 4 years.

The site is clean and tidy, though the shower blocks are a bit dated.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, great pub next door with a fab breakfast and other meals.

Camp shop is good for your basic needs and open most of the time.

Pitches good prices.

Reviewer: Andyjv 2 reviews from this member

I returned to Pondwell after a gap of 6 years and I was pleased to see it remained unchanged and as unspoilt as it was when I first discovered it.

I chose it some years ago because it was peaceful and offered nothing more than the essentials needed for camping.

I arrived this time just after 9 in the morning and was welcomed by the chap in reception who I found to be friendly and helpful. Even though it was peak season there was plenty of choice as to where I could pitch my tent and I found a spot easily.

After a long overnight journey, a shower was in order after my tent was pitched and I found everything in the toilet / shower block clean and working properly.

My stay this time was an all too short 3 days but in my time there I found no problems and thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet that this site offers.

The island has so much to offer, with Ryde being nearby I found plenty of good cafes and food outlets. From Pondwell there is a lovely walk to the beach, or by car all parts of the island can be reached in a very short time although I found the Newport area was a bit of a bottleneck and is best avoided if possible as far as traffic is concerned.

I definitely recommend Pondwell if you like the peaceful life. Looks good if you have kids as the play area is visible from most areas of the site.

Basic, simple, reasonably priced, I will be back.

Thank you Pondwell!

Reviewer: Cheekychap 2 reviews from this member

This is the second year running my grandson and I have stayed for 7days at this camp site, which we both still enjoy. It's good to see the same staff running the site over the years. They have always been very friendly and helpful and go out they way to resolve any issues.

The site is clean and well maintained with an on site shop which sells the basic essentials and freezing block facilities. The shower block remains the same but the hot water system has been up graded and offers really hot showers which are all kept clean.

The wishing well public house on site serves good hot food at good prices. The site slopes down a little being flatter near the bottom of the slope where for those that require the hookups are situated.

The beach is close after a short walk down country lanes or through the camp site giving access to both Puckpool park or Seaview along the coast, offering sandy beaches.

If you require a site that offers open space and quietness this is it.

Reviewer: SmellySocks 3 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a week in July in a tent with electric hookup. Campsite is really nice and quiet with a great playground for the kids. We had great weather, which helps, but we were a bit exposed to the sun, as there's no real shade. There is direct access to Seaview the local village and its seafront. However, if we went to the isle of wight again we'd probably go further south to Shanklin, rather the stay dear Ryde which is bit of a dump.

The pub near the site is really good, and there's a basic shop, which is really only open in the morning. The staff were helpful, but you did have to search them out a bit. The toilet and shower blocks are basic. Not terrible but basic. There was always hot water though, and never a queue. We'll never camp near Ryde again, but if we did I'd probably use the same site. My only reservation being the showers etc.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gcpoole 1 review from this member

We arrived fairly late and arrived at the wrong place. After ringing the late arrivals number, we were directed to the site.

Once there we were greeted and told that we could choose where we pitched our tents within a specific area.

The site was busy and we were still able to find a suitable and desirable place to pitch three tents. We were close to the shower and wash facilities. All was clean and even had flowers in the female toilets.

We visited the reception /shop in the morning and were able to buy bread, milk and a paper. Not much choice, but all essentials were there.

Facility is available for those whose mobiles need recharging, costing £1 per hour - chargers are available for some models too.

Overall a great site, close to a nice pub and within easy reach of Ryde. Close to beach and bus stop at top of site into Ryde on an houry basis.

Lovely playground for kids.

Previous     37 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Isle Of Wight   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers