Visitor Reviews - Woodlands View Caravan & Camping Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Gloucestershire > Site Reviews

Woodlands View Caravan & Camping Site
Woodlands View
Sling
Coleford
Gloucestershire   (Browse area)
GL16 8JA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 1m   5m  1m

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  45 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Reviewer: Harryon 1 review from this member

Pros: Location, price

Cons: Noisy neighbours, poor showers

Would I use it again: Yes (but I'd check other sites availability as well)

This is a small site with mainly caravans, but a few tent pitches. It seems quiet and informal. The pitches were dry (during some heavy rain after a dry spell). The proximity of Clearwell Caves, Puzzlewood and Perrygrove make it a great base for the local attractions.

It was very good value, with all the basic facilities you'd expect for the price. The only let down was the poor quality showerheads, which sprayed a small amount of water over a wide area, making it very difficult to shower. Other than that, the facilities were clean, well maintained and easily big enough for the size of the site.

The site itself was quiet, with people generally keeping themselves to themselves. The biggest downside though was the chickens at the other side of the hedge. They were up at dawn and therefore so were we. I am not a townie, in fact I keep my own chickens at home. I wouldn't sleep that close to my own chickens in a tent.

We used the co-op in Coleford for provisions, which was more than adequate.

Highlights of our stay (with children aged 6 and 8)were the family cycle route at Cannop, Perrygrove (especially the treasure hunt), Symonds Yat walk (crossing the river by hand ferry and rope bridge) and also fishing tuition from angling4acatch - brilliant for beginners.

We definitely had a successful stay, but I would have preferred a bit more of a lie in.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lynxx 2 reviews from this member

A lovely little campsite which is very well tended. We stayed for the bank holiday weekend and were greeted warmly by the owner when we arrived and shown to our pitch.

The site is very well looked after with neatly cut grass and tidy hard standing sites for the caravans. We had a tent and the ground was great for getting the pegs in with no stones at all. The pitch we had was huge with ample space for our tent. The electric hookup and water tap were very convenient too.

The site itself was nice and quiet and the front gates were shut and locked at night which gave added comfort and feeling of security at night (don't worry, there is an entry code so you don't have to be back before they shut).

As other reviews have commented, the site is let down a bit by the toilet and shower block, which look dated and run down. At night there is a security code lock to get in, which I can't fully understand the reason for seeing as the front gates are also locked at night. It might be in place so that if there is a match in the nearby ground the spectators don't all come in using the toilet, but then that's no reason to have it in place during the night.

The showers are basic, but there was plenty of hot water which got me clean - what else could you ask from a shower really? The showers are now operated by an on/off lever, so are not on a timed button that other reviews have stated previously. The lack of a door on the shower cubicles was a disappointment - there was just a shower curtain.

The toilets were well stocked with toilet paper and there was always plenty of soap at the sinks. However, the floor was always wet or damp no matter what time of day you went in.

The washing up facilities were fine and there was a waste disposal point if you have a camping toilet.

The people staying on the site (some probably stay for a season) were very friendly, always offering up a greeting when walking past. Our friends were also staying at the same time in a a caravan they have recently bought and people were friendly, offering advice and tips which was nice.

I can't comment on the shop as we didn't have need of it, but there is a small supermarket nearby (Eskimarket) which had all the essentials and there is also a large co-op in nearby coleford.

The site is near some beautiful attractions - we went to Beechenwood Lodge and Symonds Yat, which were excellent. The campsite also has a very nice pub a few minutes walk down the road (out of the campsite and turn left) - the food was excellent and good value.

With the site being fairly small, a wifi facility would be good, as it is increasingly becoming something that more people are looking for. Otherwise, the only thing I would recommend be improved are the toilet/shower block.

We had a really great weekend and will definitely stay again when going back to the area.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Louey 6 reviews from this member

I only stayed one night but I would recommend the place to others. If you want lots of facilities (bar/lounge, playground, swimming pool etc.) then go elsewhere.

This is a peaceful simple little site. It was very tidy, the only noise was from the neighbouring farm and the toilets were clean and had hot water. When we arrived the owner was very cheerful and polite, he said we could pick from any of the three remaining hard standing pitches and asked us if we needed any help setting up (which we didn't) but very pleasant.

My only gripe would be that a lot of the caravans on site were pitched on a semi permanent basis and that most people seemed to know each other, but that didn't mean they were rude to anyone else. I would use it again as it located to some great places to visit - Symonds Yat, Puzzlewood and cycle tracks around the Forest of Dean.

Date of Visit: October 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Seagill 23 reviews from this member

This site is well maintained and was very peaceful. Fairly small but good size pitches that were quite level.

The toilet block does let down the quality of the rest of the site. Facilities were clean but do need updating especially the showers.

There are security gates to the entrance which are locked after 8pm and you are provided with the security code.

There seems lots to do in the area and we managed to walk to Clearwell Caves which was quite interesting

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kate Everitt 6 reviews from this member

What a gem of a site, greeted on arrival by the owner who guided us through the downpour to our pitch, which was hardstanding (luckily). We set up camp in the pouring rain, and it was great, we didn't get covered in mud, the site drained well, and the surrounding hedges protected us from the blustery wind. The next morning we'd sprung a leak along the awning rail, the owner very kindly lent us a set of step ladders to sort the problem out.

The site is sloping but the pitches are level, most of the caravan/camper pitches are hard standing, there are a few grass ones. The ground doesn't seem to get too boggy, it certainly didn't in our spot. This is a quiet site, there isn't a play park, but that's no problem, there is a football pitch just outside the entrance, and plenty of good walking. The reception stocks free range eggs and local information, it isn't constantly manned, but everytime I needed to speak to someone a person appeared almost immediately. The site is spotless, and tidy, the grass is green and well kept.

The toilet block is freshly decorated, they are not grand but they are functional, very clean and well stocked. The showers are perfectly good at getting you wet and clean, they aren't huge, but I'm guessing the cubicle area is exactly the same as mine at home, the shower heads are fixed, which is always a problem for me because I'm the wrong height, you just have to work out the best way get round it. As far as I'm concerned they got me clean, and that's about all I require of a shower. There are loads of hooks on the dividing part of the shower so no problems there either.

There is a very clean washing up area, with two sinks and a full compliment of plugs (joy!)

There are some great walks around, and some great places to visit, Clearwell caves, Perrygrove (get a treasure map its great fun), and Puzlewood all within 2 miles of the site, and definitely walkable, they cost about £20 for a family of four, and the food isn't too expensive. We went out to Symmonds Yat and climbed Yatt rock, we also went to Goodrich castle, definitely worth a look. Coleford has a great selection of eateries, the Balti Hut (despite its slightly dubious name) was fantastic. The co-op is great and open until late most nights.

There are no views but the place is called woodlands view and I could definitely see woods, so no problem there either. There is a business park behind the site, and we were right next to it, you get the odd sound of containers being moved, but it is very occasional, I didn't notice anything overly noisy and we were on the site for a few days without transport, sat outside the van enjoying the rare sun. I didn't notice any smells, from anything. Even the bins which were very full from the bank holiday, were tidied each night and didn't smell.

We are a family of four with dog. The kids are both less than 10 years old and one is autistic, the only reason I've not given this site 10 is because they didn't have laundry facilities, but there is a laundrette in Lydney.

We loved this site and we will be back. I highly recommend it, if you want gold taps, heated floors and showers that you can hold a party in, probably not for you, if you want value for money, and a fully functioning, friendly site this is the one.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pjdilly1 1 review from this member

We went to this area for a wedding and found this gem of a site. Good hardstanding pitches for caravans and everything neat and tidy.

We liked the atmosphere of this small site as we usually stay on larger ones. Like other reviewers found the toilet block disappointing so used the caravan loo and shower that is what it's there for.

Didn't have time to explore the area so will be back one day to do just that.

Previous     45 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gloucestershire   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

1962 Visitors online !