Visitor Reviews - Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Ashes Lane
Staveley
Kendal
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA8 9JS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m   5m

Open: 10 Mar - 08 Jan

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Glamping

Reviews:  111 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin £200 Walkers Camping Kit and Tent AND £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Nomadyane 5 reviews from this member

I've never stayed on such a large site and was a little apprehensive, but it didn't feel large due to its design. It was busy, but there were plenty of facilities so I did not have to wait for loos or shower. The night-time quiet rule was strictly observed. Very friendly staff - nothing too much trouble. I wanted to go to a concert one evening which might have meant I was back after the 11pm lock-down, and as my campervan is my transport and my accommodation wondered what to do. No problem - the staff showed me where I could stop outside overnight, showed me where the electric hook-up was and even reminded me to take my cable with me! I had a good meal in the Whistling Pig on my first night. Watch out for the access from the main road - it's a little tricky and would be quite challenging with a big rig.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Daisy5 4 reviews from this member

First time in a CC club site so impressed by the high standards in all areas. I agree that the A591 is busy and you need to be ready to turn or do a you turn when coming from Windermere. The shower/laundry block is clean and very warm. Ideal if the Lakes have given you a cold, wet day. Staff were very friendly and available to answer any questions. Often home made cakes in the clean and tidy shop. Spacious pitches and nice walks from the site. Very enjoyable stay. Thank you.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: JainEm 8 reviews from this member

We arrived Christmas Eve and and it was our first experience of Christmas in the motorhome. We enjoyed it so much, the scenery was beautiful, although the weather was a bit drizzly and VERY windy. The pitches are a comfortable size and the toilet/shower blocks well appointed and spotless. The little pub on site was very welcoming on Christmas Eve with mulled wine and mince pies. We saw other campers eating and the food looked good. On Christmas morning we woke up to the sight of several rabbits frolicking around in the grass. We went for a 2 hour walk and came back through Staveley, to enjoy a 'proper' Christmas dinner in the motorhome. We left on Boxing Day to travel up to Scotland, but we'll definitely be back this year. Wonderful!

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Clarky213 11 reviews from this member

Returned here after visiting in 2015.

First of all, a big thank you to the staff who managed to accommodate me even though I had booked for the Kendal Site, not the Windermere site. They transferred my booking and contacted Kendal to let them know I wouldn't be arriving.

Site was as good as I remembered it last year, the weather certainly helps.

On-site pub is reasonably priced and had a nice meal here on the 2nd night.

Took the open top bus (799) from the main road into Bowness, then a boat up to Ambleside. Returned on the Open Top bus back to the Campsite.

Driver will stop on the main road (turn Left at the top of the road).

Bus & Boat ticket £15 gets you unlimited bus journeys & a 1 way ticket on the Windermere Red or Yellow line.

Spent the day around Ambleside. Youth Hostel by Ambleside Pier a fantastic location, cheapish beer and food (Looked ok, but didn't eat here.

Nice walk into Ambleside or a shuttle bus (£2) if you can't walk the mile or so.

Lovely Cafe Bar called Stiles where we had lunch on the Main road into Amblesdide.

Plenty of Coffee shops and Pubs around the centre, we settled outside the White Lion which was a Sun Trap.

Toilet blocks were always clean. Only fault I could find was having to go up the hill with my waste water & Chemical Toilet.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: LBBK 31 reviews from this member

Beware of the A591 ! It is a fast road with difficult left and right turnings into minor roads including the one for the campsite. Sadly the footpaths that lead from the site into the rather nice village of Staveley also cross the road - be very careful.

The site itself is large with many little subsections so it didn't feel too crowded. Some tent pitches are more sheltered, some are more open to both the sunshine and the wind. I suggest you discuss on arrival with the site team which you would prefer. You pay a £10 cash deposit for the barrier key. There is actually a small pub serving meals on site! We didn't use it so can't comment but others gave positive reviews. The small site shop sells all the basics. The backpackers 'shed' is a rather nice touch giving some indoor space on rainy days. There is also a large discount outdoor shop just up the A591 - walking distance, if you can cope with the traffic.

There is plenty of good walking from the site. We followed the Dales Way to Windermere, well actually Lakeland Plastics, and caught the bus back to Staveley. You could also catch the train. Delightful mixture of field paths and quiet lanes that was well signposted. Staveley is a village with a Spar and Post Office. More exciting to many will be the Hawkshead Brewery and Wilfs Cafe - both on the industrial estate towards the River Kent. There is also a very large cycling shop.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Gaza32 8 reviews from this member

As a CCC member and never been to a club site I was expecting 5 star everything for the price paid, however it was more around 3 star. Dont let that put you off though.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and escort you to your pitch, I was amazed how many pitches there were and it did feel a bit like butlins for campers. We were given a choice which allowed us to be slightly away from the masses.

The site is very clean and well maintained with 2x shower/toilet blocks, washing machines and dryers etc etc. Play areas for the kids and 'Glamping' tents and log huts, wow.

The Whistling pig was great albeit the 'nice' area is restricted to over 18's only, so if you have kids you are in the cheap seats area. The food was good although a bit pricey, £5. 50 for a cheese burger but chips are extra at £2. 00. Drinks were normal bar prices.

The walks are excellent across fields to Staveley which for a small village has plenty to do. Although the site is named as Windermere it is miles away from the Lake, which is around 5 miles away.

Previous     111 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Buzzwing Tilting and Folding 4 Bike Rack 5 pairs of Weekend Camping Tickets for the UK Autumn Motorhome & Caravan Show

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 18 - 21 August 2017
East Yorkshire - the world’s biggest tribute band music festival, discounted tickets too ...more