Visitor Reviews - Haggerston Castle Caravan Park (haven Holidays)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > Northumberland > Site Reviews

Haggerston Castle Caravan Park (haven Holidays)
Boal
Berwick Upon Tweed
Northumberland   (Browse area)
TD15 2RA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel:

Open: March To January

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  73 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: BRanger5104 6 reviews from this member

I have been to Haggerston once before about 4 years ago and to be honest I had said then that I would never do another Haven site.

I relented as we wanted a short break quite local to home and thought that in the time since our last visit things must have changed, , , right?. Well as it happens we were so wrong. The whole place is. Well........ just wrong.

Now I don't mean any offence by what I am about to say next but if you like kids running around unsupervised, fruit machines and one arm bandits, elevated food prices and poor facilities then this is the place for all of that.

There is some good entertainment for the kids and the staff do try and put on a good show but the 'clubhouse' is always packed and you struggle to get a table. Even when you do eventually get sat down the volume from the PA is so loud you can't do anything but shout to be heard. Progress from your seating area to the bar is slow largely due to the carpet being so sticky, it was like this last time we were here so no change there.

If you do fancy eating out in the main complex you cannot get anywhere without first being 'channeled' past all of the arcade games and fruit machines, this is a typical Haven trick and I am surprised that given the amount of attention that gambling has had from the government that Haven are allowed to get away with this and don't have to segregate the area for over 18s only.

The touring pitches themselves are quite small and some have a slope making the fitting of awnings challenging. The gravelled area is also like a moonscape with large rocks and this is the cheap black stuff a lot of sites are using now probably because it is cheap but creates a lot of black dust that gets everywhere in your van.

It was October when we visited and so I think it would be fair to say I was expecting the site to be wet but the kids play area looked like a renactment of the Somme. The play area itself is not the worst I have seen but is sadly lacking in play equipment.

The toilet and shower blocked were filthy, again I know it was October and so some mess is to be expected but you think they would increase the cleaning times.

There is a small Spar which is well stocked and the prices are similar to most campsites. There are a lot of activities available such as horse riding, high ropes, go carts, row boats etc but as you would expect they are all expensive.

I am not judging and I am all for live and let live but there is also a large proportion of travellers on the touring site. They went off site for most of the day leaving their barking dogs tied to their tow hitches and didn't return till evening.

There is a lot to see and do in the area and there are probably better sites to use as a base to it from.

Would I recommend it. NO Would I come again. NO

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Aliceinglis 6 reviews from this member

Overpriced and unpleasent.

My partner and I were hesitant about booking here because of the price but wanted a site with a pool. We arrived at 5. 30pm and the pool closed at 5. 45pm, would have been nice to know when booking. The pitch was in poor condition, the conctrete was broken and surounded in mud. We decided to pay extra to extended our pitch from 10am to 4pm for 5 and use the pool. All the other activies cost extra, nothing under five pounds. While on our way for some breakfast we saw the queue to get the bands for the pool, it was out the door. We gave up on Haggerston at this point and took the car to Seahouses. Our pitch cost 41, it was more like 10 worth. Will never visit another Haven or similar site.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jayntaf 7 reviews from this member

It's a lovely site set to a woody feel. Plenty to do for all ages. The animal man is a must to see.

There is a so called dog walk, but it's not really a dog walk, just a stretch of tarmac path and a patch of rough along the way.

The toilets were cleaned at regular intervals, but at the wrong times - ie at peak morning times and probably when they need doing most.

The touring park in some places was muddy and some pitches were small. A tip: choose an all service pitch and pay extra as you have a bigger pitch for your car as well.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jpw1 4 reviews from this member

We booked to stay here for 8 night but only stayed 7 nights due to our caravan getting damaged. The pitches are cramped and you need to use rock pegs for your awning and then very little room for your car. The shower blocks are the worse I've every seen and need to be re built. I could not believe two shower blocks on a site this big and one shower in the males block was broken throughout the whole stay. The shop on site was very expensive and so we used the shops and supermarkets in berwick which is about 10 minutes drive but you will save a fortune and don't forget to buy your drinks where you are there. We were very disappointed with the service we received about the damage to our caravan and are still waiting for Haven to get in touch with us, don't hold out much hope. We visited the holy island which we would highly recommend.

Date of Visit: March 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Brisha 7 reviews from this member

Just returned from a short 4 night stay at Haggerston Castle with our touring caravan, a relaxing stay and good value for money.

Met on arrival by very friendly warden, (same lady as last year) very chatty and gave us thorough information and welcome pack.

There have been some attempts at improvement since our stay there last year with much of the tree line being trimmed back and fencing separating the lines of pitches. I'm not convinced that the fencing is an improvement as it prevents an 'as the crow flies' access to the water taps and waste facilities and from where we were pitched therefore quite a distance to them.

The pitched are VERY close together making the park feel overcrowded (even in early season. They have what they call the 'six foot rule' this means that there is a six foot gap between the caravans but this is your parking space so your car is parked right beside your awning if you have one. It was so cramped we decided not to bother with our awning as even though we have had no significant rain to speak of the grass was extremely boggy and we ended up with mud everywhere. The pitches are not deep enough for you to park on the roadside and this resulted in people parking all over the place to try and avoid the grass, especially as in the rules and regulations it states that if you cause excess damage to a grassed area you will be charged 10 per square meter for repair of the area!

I'm not sure what Havens policy is regarding pitches for the travelling community but as in previous reviews certainly there were at least three travellers caravans sited when we were there with large permanent propane gas bottles on the pitches and commercial vehicles without number plates. It has to be said they were a friendly bunch and certainly didn't cause any offence but another van arrived while we were there and one wonders how many will eventually be allowed to use the 'touring' site and facilities.

The facilities have seen nothing in the way of improvement in the years we have been visiting, they are basic and could do with some investment, only one mirror in the ladies and the toilet/shower block seems to be a playing and gathering point for the traveller children ????

At times it had to be said that the toilets were less than clean and had we paid the full in season rate I would have been less than satisfied to see the cleaners only making one very brief visit each day.

All of that said it was a cheap out of season getaway and that is the only time I will visit I certainly wouldn't pay the extortionate rates in the high season where they are charging anywhere up to 62 per night in August!

Had a look at the on site entertainment facilities which have changed very little, some new additions which will appeal to families I imagine - adventure playground with scary looking zip wires and rickety bridges! and segways looked good fun to but at 15. 00 for 45 minutes again I felt rather expensive and would certainly be a drain on a cash strapped family.

The Spar was well stocked with all the essentials and more and the fast food outlets plentiful but again the prices hyper inflated.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: William scott 13 reviews from this member

Well run touring park and entertainment complex

Large shop on site but Berwick upon tweed has larger stores if you want more only a few miles north away off the A1

Toilets were fair for the size of site no problems as we seen

Complex had the dreaded arm bandits give me your money and win

Small children playground in middle of camp site ice cream van pops in around site if you want a cone

The price was very good under 20 a night with promotions always on the go stay another night a tenner if we were not already pre booked I would have stayed

In all we enjoyed our stay on a friendly site

Previous     73 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Northumberland   -   Search for a site

Win tickets to the Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 2017 3 sets of AutoSock car snow socks to be won

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 2017 - 19th to 22nd January
A huge choice of the latest model caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes on display from over 200 exhibitors ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016

UKCampsite.co.uk
24 Daily Prizes and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 289.99!
Open Today's Window!