Visitor Reviews - Derwent Park Caravan And Camping Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > Tyne and Wear > Site Reviews

Derwent Park Caravan And Camping Site
Rowlands Gill
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear   (Browse area)
NE39 1LG   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 1m   1m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mumoffive 8 reviews from this member

Dispute having explained when booking that our van is 7 metres long by 2. 4 metres wide and our awning 5 metres on top of the 2. 4 the owner was totally flummoxed as he will not allow awnings to be pitched on grass!

The children felt tat his grass was more important to him than anything else in life. It was nothing out of the ordinary. Non of the grass sites we have stayed on have looked any the worse for allowing awnings/tents.

Whilst I can understand to a point the no ball games rule I don't get the no cycling. My daughter was not allowed to cycle on the roadway from our pitch to the exit?

One key between four of us to the toilet blocks was awkward. Especially when one of us inadvertently left the key beside the sink one evening.

Toilet/shower facilities were basic but water nicely hot. Shower cubicle too small with nowhere for dry clothes or dressing.

Washing up facilities disgusting.

The chip shop across the road at the top of the hill did gluten free fish and chips which made up for the frustrations of the site.

Whilst the owner remained polite and attempted to be friendly we would not choose to stay here again

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bazz00 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from my first 2 night stay at this site with the wife and 2 kids (7 and 4) and our dog, and I must say me and my family enjoyed it, arriving on site the owners were friendly and helpful, we were shown to our pitch by the owner and shown where toilet facilities where. The toilets/showers were extremely clean, other reviewers have stated the toilets/showers where old and in need of updating, I would disagree, they may not be new or modern but they are perfectly fit for purpose. The chemical toilet disposal is on the side of the toilets in its own room, again this was clean and tidy, around the back of the toilet/shower block are 4 or 5 washing up points, a waste water disposal point and taps to fill water barrels.

I have again noticed reviews saying that pitches are too close together, I disagree, and felt that we had plenty of space between our van and any others around us even though the site was nearly full, not sure on what space there is available for tents.

The site is very clean, no litter and no dog mess, small site shop that sells some hotfood and sweets etc etc, tesco's is a ten minute walk away, electric hook up was fine no tripping out at all.

There area few rules which are enforced, no ball games on the site, no bikes or scooters, dogs on leads at all times and kids under 14 must be supervised in the toilets.

I can understand all the rules especially with regards to children ( I have 2!) with bikes, scooters and balls especially when there is a large field with football pitch and 2 play parks, crazy golf, basketball and tennis courts within 1 minute walk of site gates.

We slept very well, noise levels are very low most of the day and by 10-11pm there is virtually no noise from fellow campers and no particular noise from any traffic,

I would come here again as its excellent value for money and a nice site but must admit I prefer to be a little more into the countryside as I felt like I was just on the edge of the countryside and not in the middle of it, but that's just me!

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Keggsy 1 review from this member

After looking at the reviews on here I was a bit hesitant to stay but glad I decided to as it was the best site I have ever camped on and I would highly recommend this camp site! The hospitality me and my son received was first class. I work as a manager for a 4* hotel and know from experience that some hotels wouldn't even come close to the service and cleanliness as this site. The site manager and his wife couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. We felt more like family than visitors, they even we as far as taking us to their own private farm for my son who is 10 to see the animals and sit on the tractors which of course he was so thrilled with this.

The site is kept clean and tidy and the cafe is kept spotless. Food is really nice and quite reasonable in price.

Don't know what the other reviews mean when it comes to their being no soap and the hand dryer not working as it all seemed in order to me.

The pressure of the showers is not that powerful but was more than satisfactory and water was nice and hot.

I don't know why this site has had so many bad reviews as it has everything to offer such as 2 parks, tennis courts, basketball courts and even free mini golf(you have to pay £1 deposit for clubs and ball but get it back when items are returned), football pitches and of course, Derwent walk which is beautiful and not to forget the service from the manager and his wife.

Can't believe all this for only £10 per night,

Will definitely be returning soon.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Badger_2k 1 review from this member

We would like to say how lovely our stay was at the camp site. We managed to get a slot 1 week before the Great North Run in September 2011. The owners of the campsite were very pleasant & helpful. There was a lot of grass for the children to play on as well as a Basketball court, swings, children's play area and a b. B. Q area. We were able to walk our dog along the river that was only a couple of hundred yards away form the site. The hill going up out of the campsite was a bit steep but as long as you didn't rush it was fine. There was easy access into the city by bus & back. The shower block/toilets were fine. We had a great nights sleep even though the campsite was nearly full. The owners even let us stay till I'd finished the Great North run & got back and sorted everything out as well as a nap at no extra charge. If I ever go back up to do the Great North run then I'll make sure I stay at this campsite again.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cat1974 5 reviews from this member

This was the only camp site near to our relatives that we were visiting on the bank holiday weekend.

We booked well in advance and were told at the time that we were not allowed to pitch our 4 man tent and that as we were a family of 4 we could only pitch two 2 man tents. This rule is absolutely ridiculous.
What possible reason can they have to insist on this stupid rule?

In the end we went and bought (especially) a 2 man tent for the children and brought our old 3 man tent. These took up more room than a 4 man tent! Anyway the small patch of grass that is for tents is flat and surrounded by caravans. It is handy for the toilet block.

The toilets and showers are kept clean however the liquid that is in the soap dispenser looks and smells exactly like watered down fabric conditioner - it was definitely not soap/handwash! The toilet block light comes on automatically but turns itself off after a short while. This was the second annoying thing about the site, as when you are having a shower and the light goes off, you just have to carry on in the dark which is really not acceptable.

On the Saturday night the lights wouldn't come on at all and my husband went to report this 'malfunction' and the owner said 'what do you need the lights on for'? He stated that he didn't think they needed to be on as there was plenty of daylight. However he begrudgingly turned them on for us! In the shower area it does get quite dark and the lights are definitely needed.

The last thing I need to say is that the site is near a main road, so there is noise from the traffic and the campsite lights (outside) are on all through the night and shine right into the tent, so that may prevent a good night's sleep (as it did for me).

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Dicky01 1 review from this member

Great location especially for holiday travellers going North or South.

Level pitches although cramped a bit.

Gents toilet block a dump, the showers lack a bit of space and water pressure, after a few months the hand drier still does not work and the warden said he will not sort it but take your own towel.

You have to shower in the dark as the lights go out early and you have to jam the door open to try and get some light in.

I think paying for electricity is a problem with the warden towards tourers.

The resident caravan owners let their dogs loose at all times as the dog crap reveals, watch and see but tourers are strictly policed.

A re-vamp of the site is needed especially the owners attitude to tourers and facility cleanliness.

I will still stop here when passing as I have my own facilities and a good location for visiting the sites.

The chip shop outside the gate is very pricey and the portions are small, but go out of the site, turn left into the village for 100 metres and there is a few excellent restaurants and a Tesco. The Italian is excellent.

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Tyne and Wear   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers