Visitor Reviews - Derwent Park Caravan And Camping Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > Tyne and Wear > Site Reviews

Derwent Park Caravan And Camping Site
Rowlands Gill
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear   (Browse area)
NE39 1LG   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 1m   1m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  31 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jamie and Lisa 4 reviews from this member

Lovely clean, tidy and quiet site.

The owners Ivan and Joan are very friendly and extremely helpful.

The shower blocks and washing up areas are clean and tidy.

There's a small Tesco's nearby and a nice pub called The Red Kite not too far away where you can get a fantastic Sunday lunch. There's also a small shop on site for tea, coffee, soft drink snacks and ice cream on site.

There's a couple of parks and a large playing field just outside of the park for the kids and you've also got the Derwent walk nearby.

It's also handy if your visiting the Metrocentre or Newcastle.

We will definitely be going back soon.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Ericaleicester 4 reviews from this member

Convenient location as base for touring area. We went to Newcastle, Hexham and Hadrian's Wall. Small tesco, chip shop, chinese, etc nearby. No real ale type pubs, mainly social clubs. Site looked good for children, but not having any with us unable to comment properly. Toilet/showers were very tired and you needed a key to get in. Only one key so we couldn't use facilities at the same time. We also had to pay a 10 deposit for this which we got back but it did seem odd especially given how tatty they were! The warden was friendly but perturbed by our commercial vehicle (It's a Nissan Navara) because if seen from the road would 'open' the floodgates to visitors who live in caravans and travel around. We were allowed to stay but had to 'hide' the car behind a fence! Lots of posters with rules, some seemed unusual but none that bothered us. Overall stay was amusing!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mags0152 21 reviews from this member

The last time we used this site was more than twenty years ago and I don't think it has changed much since then. Certainly not much upgrading gone on at all.

We had bought a new to us motorhome at Tyne Valley Motorhomes, just up the road, so stayed overnight to check everything out.

A bit shocked to be charged 20, especially as the facilities are so old and there is no easy way to fill up with water or drain waste for motorhomes.

Large hard standing pitch - ours is a 7. 4m motorhome and it fitted easily. Slight slope on pitch but fixed easily with levelling blocks.

Small Tesco not far away, walks along the river bank and take away nearby.

Ideal for caravanners wanting to see the local beauty spots and also the Metro Centre. Really not great for motorhomes.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mumoffive 8 reviews from this member

Dispute having explained when booking that our van is 7 metres long by 2. 4 metres wide and our awning 5 metres on top of the 2. 4 the owner was totally flummoxed as he will not allow awnings to be pitched on grass!

The children felt tat his grass was more important to him than anything else in life. It was nothing out of the ordinary. Non of the grass sites we have stayed on have looked any the worse for allowing awnings/tents.

Whilst I can understand to a point the no ball games rule I don't get the no cycling. My daughter was not allowed to cycle on the roadway from our pitch to the exit?

One key between four of us to the toilet blocks was awkward. Especially when one of us inadvertently left the key beside the sink one evening.

Toilet/shower facilities were basic but water nicely hot. Shower cubicle too small with nowhere for dry clothes or dressing.

Washing up facilities disgusting.

The chip shop across the road at the top of the hill did gluten free fish and chips which made up for the frustrations of the site.

Whilst the owner remained polite and attempted to be friendly we would not choose to stay here again

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bazz00 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from my first 2 night stay at this site with the wife and 2 kids (7 and 4) and our dog, and I must say me and my family enjoyed it, arriving on site the owners were friendly and helpful, we were shown to our pitch by the owner and shown where toilet facilities where. The toilets/showers were extremely clean, other reviewers have stated the toilets/showers where old and in need of updating, I would disagree, they may not be new or modern but they are perfectly fit for purpose. The chemical toilet disposal is on the side of the toilets in its own room, again this was clean and tidy, around the back of the toilet/shower block are 4 or 5 washing up points, a waste water disposal point and taps to fill water barrels.

I have again noticed reviews saying that pitches are too close together, I disagree, and felt that we had plenty of space between our van and any others around us even though the site was nearly full, not sure on what space there is available for tents.

The site is very clean, no litter and no dog mess, small site shop that sells some hotfood and sweets etc etc, tesco's is a ten minute walk away, electric hook up was fine no tripping out at all.

There area few rules which are enforced, no ball games on the site, no bikes or scooters, dogs on leads at all times and kids under 14 must be supervised in the toilets.

I can understand all the rules especially with regards to children ( I have 2!) with bikes, scooters and balls especially when there is a large field with football pitch and 2 play parks, crazy golf, basketball and tennis courts within 1 minute walk of site gates.

We slept very well, noise levels are very low most of the day and by 10-11pm there is virtually no noise from fellow campers and no particular noise from any traffic,

I would come here again as its excellent value for money and a nice site but must admit I prefer to be a little more into the countryside as I felt like I was just on the edge of the countryside and not in the middle of it, but that's just me!

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Keggsy 1 review from this member

After looking at the reviews on here I was a bit hesitant to stay but glad I decided to as it was the best site I have ever camped on and I would highly recommend this camp site! The hospitality me and my son received was first class. I work as a manager for a 4* hotel and know from experience that some hotels wouldn't even come close to the service and cleanliness as this site. The site manager and his wife couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. We felt more like family than visitors, they even we as far as taking us to their own private farm for my son who is 10 to see the animals and sit on the tractors which of course he was so thrilled with this.

The site is kept clean and tidy and the cafe is kept spotless. Food is really nice and quite reasonable in price.

Don't know what the other reviews mean when it comes to their being no soap and the hand dryer not working as it all seemed in order to me.

The pressure of the showers is not that powerful but was more than satisfactory and water was nice and hot.

I don't know why this site has had so many bad reviews as it has everything to offer such as 2 parks, tennis courts, basketball courts and even free mini golf(you have to pay 1 deposit for clubs and ball but get it back when items are returned), football pitches and of course, Derwent walk which is beautiful and not to forget the service from the manager and his wife.

Can't believe all this for only 10 per night,

Will definitely be returning soon.

Previous     31 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Tyne and Wear   -   Search for a site

Win a Champion 3100 Watt Inverter Petrol Generator Win a Win a One Week Stay at Vauxhall Holiday Park!

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 13 18 October
Occupying eleven huge halls of the NEC, it is guaranteed to be an unmissable event. Win tickets!