Visitor Reviews - Side Farm Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Side Farm Camp Site
Patterdale
Ullswater
Lake District
Penrith
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA11 0NL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   10m  1m  1m

Open: Easter To October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  31 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Millseyboy 5 reviews from this member

The wife, dog and I have just returned from a three night camping trip to Side Farm. As someone who has stayed at over 15 campsites across the Lake District over the last five years, I have to put this straight into my top three without any hesitation. This is truly an absolute gem of a campsite and is also great value for money.

Price

£17 per night for a couple and a dog. No restrictions on tent size. Cannot knock that!

Access Road

As long as your car is not a ‘low rider’ there is absolutely nothing to worry about. There are quite a few potholes to negotiate on the track but as long as you stay in first or second gear you are not going to do any damage to your car. In terms of gradient, it is slightly steep for about 10 metres in one place but again, nothing to worry about. Our fully laden 1. 2 Renault Modus made light work of the hill. There are also two gates to open/close on the way to the campsite which is a two minute drive from the farmhouse down the track.

Ground

The ground was not the best to hammer a peg into. I used two or three rock pegs along with standard pegs but it was not really a problem. The site is 30% flat and 70% sloping. We camped on a slight slope but to be honest it was not too bad. Previous reviews have expressed concern at the sloping ground but once the tent was up and we were settled with a beer we did not even notice it. As you drive into the campsite there are roughly 6 pitches on flat ground beside the shower block to the left. Further up the campsite there are more flat pitches with a slightly better view of the lake but I would imagine you will need to be very early or very lucky to bag one of those.

Atmosphere/Hospitality

We travelled on a Friday and left on a Monday. This was not during school holidays so the site was only really at 40% capacity. Overcrowding was not an issue. I can understand how some previous reviews have criticized the fact that other campers were right on top of them and space and privacy was non-existent. Once you pay your money at the farmhouse there was no contact/patrol of the campsite by the farmer that I saw, so I am not sure how they monitor any overcrowding. It is not the biggest campsite in the world. We had no issues with overcrowding. The staff working at the little shop built against the farmhouse were very friendly. The shop stocks a good range of products and was open most of the day. For a small donation we put our ice blocks in the ice lolly freezer which was very useful.

Shower block was always very clean with plenty of liquid soap. There are a few cobwebs high above your head but it was not anything unusual for a farm shower block. The hot water pressure was excellent and always a nice warm temperature. Showers are free but there are only two showers in both the male and female washrooms (confirmed by the wife!) which may be an issue at busy times. I always shower in the late afternoon after walking so there was no problem waiting for a shower. There is a pot wash area with four sinks, again with good water pressure and temperature. There were also two washers and two driers which were £1 for a 30 minute spin.

View/Walks

No much to say here except amazing. One of the finest views from a campsite in the Lake District. It would take some beating. We climbed High Street from the campsite which took around 2 hours 30 minutes to get to the top at a gentle ascent.

Location to Pub

Patterdale is 15 mins walk back down the access track and past the farm house and farm shop then left at the main road. There is one pub, The White Lion, which has a good selection of real ales and reasonably priced food. I had fish and chips which was really tasty and I paid £9. 95. There is also the Patterdale Hotel which has a huge beer garden and a good lake view. It is on the main road though.

Glenridding is 30 mins walk away. Again past the farm house but turn right at the main road an go past the church. There are some nice off road sections here which were good for our dog to have a run about on the way. There are three pubs and two hotels. I recommend the Ramblers Bar which is built onto the Inn by the lake hotel. It has been recently refurbished and had a great atmosphere and selection of ales and wines. The food also looked good but we did not eat.

I will be returning here without a doubt. Cracking little site.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Lovesoutdoors 3 reviews from this member

We visited this site in July.

It is set in a lovely location The owners are very helpful and the facilities are good.

It is quite hilly but the views over the lake make up for this.

There is a nice café on site and it is a 10 minute stroll into Glenridding, where there are some small shops and a few nice pubs where you can get good food.

It is a perfect base for people who like hiking as it is surrounded by mountains and hills.

I would definitely return to this site.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Jillygumbo 11 reviews from this member

Secluded quiet site, sloping but with a few levels areas for campervans. Superb views over Ullswater and Hellvellyn. Excellent toilet block with hot free showers. Long bumpy track from the farm to the field. Next to bridleway walk to Howtown. Ullswater Steamers about a mile away round the end of the lake. Two good pubs within 10 minute walk. No phone signal. Farm shop and tea room. Will definitely visit again, loved it.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Swissedd 1 review from this member

We stayed at this campsite during part of the half term holiday and the week after. I had read reviews on this site regarding the lack of flat ground and therefore when I got to the site I spoke with the lady at the cafe who allowed me to go and check for a suitable pitch before paying.

The site was not crowded and I found a suitable flat pitch fairly easily, I can see that the comments regarding flat ground are valid to an extent but if arriving on weekday at a reasonable time I reckon you would usually find a pitch.

I found the prices very reasonable and was pleased that the site didn't charge for my dogs providing they are kept on leads and are cleaned up after, this is rare in the lakes these days(and very annoying as the dogs don't exactly place a drain on the facilities.

The showers were powerful, hot and were very welcome after a hard days walking. They were clean enough and there was always hot water. I never had to queue to use them. It would be nice if the shower block was tiled but not that important in the big scheme of things as after all, you are camping!

Washing up facilities were good and there were a couple of washers and clothes driers which were reasonable priced.

The track to and from the site could do with some work as it has some large ruts in it, however I negotiated it in a fairly fully laden Renault Clio so it can't be that bad!

The area is simply stunning and provides fantastic views all round the site, from the mountains and fells to the tranquility of the lake which was fun to paddle in following a walk.

They could improve rubbish collections or provide a few more bins but this is a minor thing really.

The local pubs provide standard pub grub which is fairly typical of the lakes these days, not home made(despite what the menus say) and not all that flavoursome. I am consistently disappointed with the quality and price of food in the lake district these days and it is rare I feel that you get value for money in terms of food.

I enjoyed the relaxed attitude of the staff and the site was extremely pleasant to stay at. I will certainly be going back at some stage.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fad64 7 reviews from this member

I have to agree with what most others have said of this site; beautiful views and good access to the local village. Facilities are adequate for those not expecting a 'glamping' experience and the prices are very reasonable.

The main drawbacks are the fact that there are very, very few flat spots on which to pitch and much of it is almost unusably steeply sloped. Unthinking (read, selfish) drivers taking up the vast majority of the flatter areas while I was there meant for very little choice of where to pitch.

With a bit of work - some terracing and specified parking areas would improve it immensely - the place could be fantastic, as it stands it's hit and miss as to whether you'll find anywhere to pitch at all. It also, as has been stated elsewhere, gets uncomfortably crowded at times. And we were there at what I was told by the nice lady in the tea-room was a 'quiet' time.

Great access to the eastern fells though and reasonably sheltered considering it's lakeside location.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Section33 5 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a couple of nights during the summer of 2010 as the location is excellent for trekking around the lake & mountains of Patterdale/Glenridding.

The site is pretty basic and pitches are not especially level but it is what you pay for. Toilets and showers were reasonably clean (good considering it poured down) and the owners are friendly and welcoming.

The site did get a little noisy at night once the rain stopped but it didn't go on past midnight and fellow campers were generally respectful of each other.

This is a site I use if I'm camping without the kiddies as I spend most of my time in the hills and I wouldn't recommend if you're looking for a family fun holiday as there's no playground/clubhouse etc.

Previous     31 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Champion 3100 Watt Inverter Petrol Generator Win a Win a One Week Stay at Vauxhall Holiday Park!

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 13 – 18 October
Occupying eleven huge halls of the NEC, it is guaranteed to be an unmissable event. Win tickets!