Visitor Reviews - Side Farm Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Side Farm Camp Site
Patterdale
Ullswater
Lake District
Penrith
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA11 0NL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   10m  1m  1m

Open: Easter To October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Lovesoutdoors 3 reviews from this member

We visited this site in July.

It is set in a lovely location The owners are very helpful and the facilities are good.

It is quite hilly but the views over the lake make up for this.

There is a nice café on site and it is a 10 minute stroll into Glenridding, where there are some small shops and a few nice pubs where you can get good food.

It is a perfect base for people who like hiking as it is surrounded by mountains and hills.

I would definitely return to this site.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Jillygumbo 7 reviews from this member

Secluded quiet site, sloping but with a few levels areas for campervans. Superb views over Ullswater and Hellvellyn. Excellent toilet block with hot free showers. Long bumpy track from the farm to the field. Next to bridleway walk to Howtown. Ullswater Steamers about a mile away round the end of the lake. Two good pubs within 10 minute walk. No phone signal. Farm shop and tea room. Will definitely visit again, loved it.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Swissedd 1 review from this member

We stayed at this campsite during part of the half term holiday and the week after. I had read reviews on this site regarding the lack of flat ground and therefore when I got to the site I spoke with the lady at the cafe who allowed me to go and check for a suitable pitch before paying.

The site was not crowded and I found a suitable flat pitch fairly easily, I can see that the comments regarding flat ground are valid to an extent but if arriving on weekday at a reasonable time I reckon you would usually find a pitch.

I found the prices very reasonable and was pleased that the site didn't charge for my dogs providing they are kept on leads and are cleaned up after, this is rare in the lakes these days(and very annoying as the dogs don't exactly place a drain on the facilities.

The showers were powerful, hot and were very welcome after a hard days walking. They were clean enough and there was always hot water. I never had to queue to use them. It would be nice if the shower block was tiled but not that important in the big scheme of things as after all, you are camping!

Washing up facilities were good and there were a couple of washers and clothes driers which were reasonable priced.

The track to and from the site could do with some work as it has some large ruts in it, however I negotiated it in a fairly fully laden Renault Clio so it can't be that bad!

The area is simply stunning and provides fantastic views all round the site, from the mountains and fells to the tranquility of the lake which was fun to paddle in following a walk.

They could improve rubbish collections or provide a few more bins but this is a minor thing really.

The local pubs provide standard pub grub which is fairly typical of the lakes these days, not home made(despite what the menus say) and not all that flavoursome. I am consistently disappointed with the quality and price of food in the lake district these days and it is rare I feel that you get value for money in terms of food.

I enjoyed the relaxed attitude of the staff and the site was extremely pleasant to stay at. I will certainly be going back at some stage.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fad64 7 reviews from this member

I have to agree with what most others have said of this site; beautiful views and good access to the local village. Facilities are adequate for those not expecting a 'glamping' experience and the prices are very reasonable.

The main drawbacks are the fact that there are very, very few flat spots on which to pitch and much of it is almost unusably steeply sloped. Unthinking (read, selfish) drivers taking up the vast majority of the flatter areas while I was there meant for very little choice of where to pitch.

With a bit of work - some terracing and specified parking areas would improve it immensely - the place could be fantastic, as it stands it's hit and miss as to whether you'll find anywhere to pitch at all. It also, as has been stated elsewhere, gets uncomfortably crowded at times. And we were there at what I was told by the nice lady in the tea-room was a 'quiet' time.

Great access to the eastern fells though and reasonably sheltered considering it's lakeside location.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Section33 5 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a couple of nights during the summer of 2010 as the location is excellent for trekking around the lake & mountains of Patterdale/Glenridding.

The site is pretty basic and pitches are not especially level but it is what you pay for. Toilets and showers were reasonably clean (good considering it poured down) and the owners are friendly and welcoming.

The site did get a little noisy at night once the rain stopped but it didn't go on past midnight and fellow campers were generally respectful of each other.

This is a site I use if I'm camping without the kiddies as I spend most of my time in the hills and I wouldn't recommend if you're looking for a family fun holiday as there's no playground/clubhouse etc.

Date of Visit: September 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cvwright 2 reviews from this member

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from a fantastic weekend at Side Farm. The sign to the place is quite small and we drove past it twice, and very nearly settled for another campsite. We're so glad we didn't! We found the booking office which also happens to be a delightful tea room with some great looking cakes, as well as all the basics you may need.

We were greeted by a lovely man who booked us in and told us where to go to pitch up.

There is a longish track leading to the site which is unlit and rather bumpy, but our ancient little Citroen made it with no problems.

The site was rather busy but we still found a great spot with an amazing lake view (there isn't allocated pitches, you settle wherever you want) However, if you plan to arrive after about 6 on a weekend, you may not get a great view.

The ground is quite sloped in places, so take care pitching!

The facilities are fine, there have been reviews saying they are too basic (concrete floors etc) but there are proper toilets (not portaloos), hot showers and electricity points so I'm not sure what else would be expected? Very nice really given the location.

The nearest shop and pub is a pleasant 20 minute walk but it's very dark at night so don't forget a torch! The shop is very good, they even do bacon butties in the morning! There are too places to eat, a hotel and a pub, we went to the pub which was really busy but the food and service was brill and worth the wait. Overall, it was a brilliant place to stay, we are even hoping to go back again next weekend!

Previous     30 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers