Visitor Reviews - The Cross Inn Caravan Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Staffordshire > Site Reviews

The Cross Inn Caravan Park
Cauldon Lowe
Stoke On Trent
Staffordshire   (Browse area)
ST10 3EX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  10m  10m  5m  10m  5m   5m  1m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nicgeojak 6 reviews from this member

Have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Cross Inn. It is situated directly next to the A52 and there is a fair bit of traffic noise. It is ideally situated for a trip to Alton Towers, Stoke or Ashbourne, the facilities are basic but adequate for a short trip. The pub food is quite good and reasonably priced. That is the positives. The not so good bits. Ground drainage isn't great, as soon as it rained the whole area turned mushy. There are no marked pitches. The wheelie bins were over full and there was rubbish piled around them for days which was strewn about by animals. The main issue. The area between the camping field and the facilities resembles a refugee camp. There are a number of foreign workers living in a group of metal container rooms and have set up their own makeshift communal area. Now when we spoke to them they were pleasant BUT it was intimidating walking past them at night, as they sat drinking and smoking, to go to the loo. And they did say they thought they would be there til the end of the year.

In all this site needs a good tidy up and a bit of money spending on the grounds and facilities (and more regular bin emptying) The toilets/ showers need an overhaul (50p charge for a red hot 4 min shower) only 1 shower in the gents portacabin.

This site is ideal for a cheap one or two night stay for a trip to Alton Towers.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Cmjn 6 reviews from this member

Booked 3 nights here for the bank holiday had to pay in full when we booked, we arrived at cross inn went into the pub and asked what pitch we had been allocated went to the pitch to find a very old run down caravan with a taped up door on the pitch, I went back to ask where we were suppose to pitch the young girl said just put it on the grass, me and my husband where not happy if we had not of paid in full we would have left there and then so I went back down to the pub for a third time and the owner who was very laid back said he had made a mistake and we where on the next pitch.

The pitches are not level just some road stone thrown down the only good point was you had your own water tap there where 3 caravans on pitches that had been there for a while and made the place look very untidy there could be so much done with this site, the ladies toilets where ok then mens where in a portacabin round the back of the main toilets the pub was very run down pool table broken, telly had been taken of the wall generally unkept suppose if you want a base for walks and alton towers its ok but I would not return to this site

Date of Visit: November 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: KECMA 6 reviews from this member

Stayed for 2 nights because it was a few miles from Longton where our car was being modified to tow behind the motorhome. Being November it was a bit grey and wet with leaves underfoot so not the best time to comment on surroundings. We stopped by the site entrance opposite the duck pond. The pitch was large enough for the motorhome and for the car when we brought it back for our second night. The gents toilets and showers were in a portacabin type unit; Because the showers had no changing area in the cubicle I used our own vehicle's facilities as communal changing facilities outside a curtained shower area is not for me. My wife used the ladies block which she said was adequate but loos were left in dirty state by previous users. The main road was busy with many heavy lorries and there was a bus stop outside the site. The pub was great, friendly atmosphere from all the staff and the locals; well kept real ale and good food at lunchtime and evening (with proper veg selection) and very modern clean loos. We would like to go back when the weather improves, there seems to be a lot of nice countryside nearby.

Date of Visit: March 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Tommoes 1 review from this member

Just visited this site for a quick two night stop because of its close distance to Alton Towers where we were visiting.

I am sure there are more in depth reviews than this one but here goes.

I usually stay at the Star campsite which is closer, but only about a mile, however it seems as though the price has risen sharply of late. 86 for Myself the wife and two kids for two nights at The Star, and that's as a member, whilst at the Cross inn its 20 a night with electric.

As for facilities all the basics are there, water, electricity and drainage on the pitch, nice and level, elsan, toilet and shower block.

Theres a pub serving food, although we didn't eat there looked good, plenty of people and a nice friendly atmosphere. The manager even fixed the lock when it broke on the Motorhome.

So that's it. Close to Alton towers, cheap, friendly, and a pub.

If your going anywhere other than Alton towers I can't comment as that's all we did, but it's close proximity has made it on our default stop list.

Reviewer: Gwasanaeth 2 reviews from this member

I have a dilemma when writing reviews because I hate being negative and the people who run this site worked extremely hard and were very friendly and accommodating. I think the main problem with the site is the way in which campers are crammed onto the site with very little space around and between pitches. All the tents seemed to be on top of one another. We were a group of three tents and tended to cook outside just one of the tents so felt a bit safer but would have hated to be so close to strangers.

This site could be a gem but is in need of some TLC

The facilities (toilets and shower) were dated and insufficient for the amount of people using them. However, the staff worked hard at keeping them as clean as possible.

On two of the mornings we were there someone had allowed their dog to 'mess' on the paths and the owners cleaned it up as soon as they were aware of it. I felt so sorry for them having to do that. The staff kept a constant eye on cleaning the field and removing any rubbish left by some inconsiderate campers.

My sister in law spoke to the owners and offered advise re;pitch size etc and they listened and explained that they had had a bad flood in the 'ladies' the previous week. I believe they are quite new and intend to make improvements.

There was a rowdy group on site who partied into the wee small hours and they were asked to leave early the following morning. The owners had done their best during the evening to keep them away from the pub and the camping field and to quieten them down.

We didn't do much exploring but we did visit Ilam, a few miles away and also Dovedale. Both lovely and worth a visit. Nice scenery and good walking area. Ashbourne not too far away. We had a lovely weekend but would think twice about returning in peak season. Maybe off peak, when less busy we would consider it.

Reviewer: Jon+Kelly 3 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a two night stay at The Cross Inn, at 15 a night with electric it was a very reasonable price to get away for a couple of days, we had a family of five on one pitch and a family of three on another adjoining pitch, we like many others visiting this site used it as a base whilst visiting Alton Towers.

The campsite is set in a beautiful picturesque part of Staffordshire and has the potential to be a lovely site, however we were disappointed with our stay :(

We were booked into our pitch the pitches are the smallest I have pitched on (very very small), I'd say the pitches we were given were approx 6m x 5m our guy ropes were crossing with the other parties tent as well as the two families behind who came to pitch later in the day, this to me is a fire hazard & if there happened to be a fire in one of the tents the whole lot would have gone up in flames! There was no mention of pitch sizes on the pubs website and having known this we wouldn't have booked. We own a Sunncamp Oasis 600 and compared to some I don't class it as a overly massive tent nowadays, my father owns a Hi Gear Voyager 6 & he couldn't fit his porch on the front. The slopes were uneven and after a heavy downpour underneath both the tents it became waterlogged and the trip from the pitches to the toilets were quite slippy, cars aren't allowed next to tents even though on there website its advertised as only one car per pitch (you really couldn't fit a car on the pitch anyway) they are to be parked at the bottom of the field on the pub car park! Check in times are 2pm and check out times are 10am which you feel rushed to leave as (5 is charged to your card if you are late leaving) & some pitches are right next to the A52 so there is traffic noise, we were at the other side of the field and not really a problem but I can imagine it being for those pitched right by it, there is one toilet block with a disabled toilet/family shower room, these were warm & heated but in need of refurbishment, (hole in the womens roof) and tiles missing) it looks like they've recently had a lick of paint but could be made better, the showers are charged at 50p for 4 minutes in the mens & family room but free in the womens?? The toilets ran out of toilet roll on the second day and wasn't restocked before we left, so I'd take my own just in case.

The pub itself seemed nice though we tried the Sunday Carvery there and enjoyed the food/drinks, there was a free bouncy castle for young children which my daughter enjoyed.

The site is handy for Alton Towers about 5 minutes drive away but due to the layout/space and unevenness of the pitches I'd be reluctant to return in fear of fire safety.

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Staffordshire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 120 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 500!
Open Today's Window