Visitor Reviews - Southwold Camping And Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Suffolk > Site Reviews

Southwold Camping And Caravan Site
Ferry Road
Southwold
Suffolk   (Browse area)
IP18 6ND   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Open: Ist Marchto 30th November

Reviews:  60 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Gerrysw 2 reviews from this member

Well I have to say for a Local authority camp site this was the tops. Inches from one of the nicest beaches anywhere. Staff were more than helpful, facilities limited but that is just the way we like it. The joy is that on arriving your jaw drops as all you can see are rows and rows of statics. But in the next field just tents and vans. Southwold is just a 10 minute walk along the beach and must be amongst the the top ten of seaside resorts, working lighthouse, wonderful pier, great pubs, lots of independently owned shops. We loved it. On the other side of the camp site the river estuary with working harbour, fantastic chandlery, and the best fish and chips (huge huge portions beware). There is also a rowing boat ferry (90p) to cross to Walberwick, very upmarket, we had the best gourmet lunch at the Anchor (55 for two of us with drink!).

We will be back!

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Daffodil1941 16 reviews from this member

This site is very big. You drive through the static site to a large field split by a couple of hedges. There are a few hard standings in the second field. Were we pitched with ehu. There are two toilet blocks which I have to say need some tlc. In the block next to our pitch the loos and basins were clean, but while we were there the floor was only clean once, the rest of time it was very muddy, I think this was due to a leak somewhere. I checked the showers in the other block and these too were muddy in the trays, I think this was just people not cleaning up after them. There was a pot wash area. The site was next to the sand dunes beach and sea. There was a nice walk on the sand dunes into the town which was lovely and had every thing you would need and more. Took me 15 minutes (each way) to walk each morning for the papers and milk, turn right out of the site and onto the harbour which has a walk to the Harbour Pub about half an hour (each way) for us wrinklies, but worth it as you passed shacks selling every type of fish and seafood you could imagine and a fish and chips shop/restaurant. This was very busy. The pub also sold food and was very popular, a little pricey but we enjoyed the atmosphere and watching the world go by. We would go back as we love where it is.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lynnpin 1 review from this member

We love this site but it's the location that is key - right next to the beach and the lovely river area which faces Walberswick which is so laid back.

There's a great fish and chip place there, a lovely wet fish shop where you can go along with your own wine and bread and enjoy a plate of seafood or just try out the wonderful scones at the cafe down the river a bit. The pub's lovely for a drink but the food is quite expensive and not that good in my opinion but lovely to watch the sun set with a pint.

The site is, as the previous reviewer said, council run and could be a lot better but as long as you know the toilet blocks are closed for cleaning in the morning and have a shower in the afternoon when it seems you're guaranteed hot water, it's fine.

One tip - get a pitch along the edge that faces the town as you get wonderful views of Southwold and there were Marsh Harriers and Skylarks to entertain us when we were there.

There's no shop on site which is a shame as it's a bit of a way from the town but the office does sell milk and a few other basics, will charge your phone for 1 and freeze blocks.

My son loved it, met loads of new friends playing football and the main attraction - crabbing.

Only one big downside - no fires allowed although we used our barbecue as did lots of others on the site and that way nobody seems to mind.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: M+MGalliers 9 reviews from this member

This is a standard municipal campsite with clean facilities and clearly marked, reasonably-sized touring pitches in a large, flat and fairly exposed field.

We had to pay the full pitch fee in advance and could select the pitch we wanted by looking at the map on their website.

The toilet block in the touring field was clean with ample loos. However, there were only two showers in the ladies section and two in the mens. Added to this, the block closes for cleaning between 9. 30 and 11. 30 so I would imagine these get very busy before 9. 30 at busy times. The showers are the fixed to the wall type in basic cubicles (e. G. No shelf for toiletries) but they are warm and clean. Plenty of basins and two hairdryers (20p required to use them). There is a laundry room, but we didn't use this.

There are several washing-up sinks with plenty of hot water but they are not very sheltered and our dishes kept blowing away whilst draining as it was very windy during our stay!

It's a ten minute walk into Southwold and a 45 minute walk along the river and over the footbridge to Walberswick. The site is near the sea and you can hear the sea at night and see the lighthouse's beam which is rather atmospheric.

If you are travelling in a car with low ground clearance, take care on the speed humps on the road through the site!

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Happy-snapper 6 reviews from this member

Stayed here in may 2013. Must admit it's more than I would pay especially as I am single and 2 people are included in price, but it was best situated for my means. Currently run by local council although was told there are always talks going on as to takeovers! Weather was very windy and torrential rain so didn't stay for all time I have booked as I wanted my proper bed! at one point I was the only person camping! Huge big field with lighthouse in distance- could just get glimpse of the light turning at night from tent! wondered what it was at first!.

Site was extremely quiet-although next to a road the road only goes to harbour so not used much. Site was very tidy and maintained- reception also stocked few things like milk, juices etc but no camping type stuff. They will also charge batteries and freeze ice bags.

Shower block very tidy and clean. Didn't count but in the block I used maybe 10 toilets? and few showers. Hot water is free although if I want to be picky the showers don't have much force to them.

As its council run there is no one on site 24/7 but didn't give any problems.

Harbour area is a few minutes walk away, ferry boat to walberswick at the moment weekends only otherwise its a longish walk. Fish and chip shop at harbour has the best fish and chips I have had in a long time!

Southwold is a shortish walk away too. There is also a lovely bike ride which I did from the site to kessingland beach. It's about 10 miles each way with no major hills. I am in my 50's and did each way in about an hour to give you a guide.

All said it was a nice site, handy for various places, quiet, clean and would prob go again if I was that way

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lexy100 7 reviews from this member

What a fabulous site, situated right next to the beautiful sandy Southwold beach.

Facilities were good, welcome was efficient but not brilliantly warm. When we did contact reception again to see if any spare dry pitches for our friends to turn up, the response was very unhelpful asking us to go & check the pitch ourselves. (The weather was wet with gale force winds!)

Fortunately we didn't have to speak to reception again. The pitches were ok, a bit rough with quite a few larger ankle twister holes. We were a group of 3 families with a large gazebo and we were very happy where we were put and with the layout.

The shower block which was next to the camping field did the job and was probably one of the better ones I have been into, clean & tidy with enough toilets/sinks. Apart from being closed for cleaning between 8. 30&10. 30-peak period which was odd. The other blue shower block was brilliant, lots of strong, hot running water in the showers & no panicky timer to wonder if you're going to manage to rinse out all shampoo before the water stops. A lovely heater to hang your clothes above with lots of hooks in the communal area. All clean & tidy.

We eventually had to admit defeat & leave the campsite after losing a friends tent & gazebo to the winds. But finished off on a high when we spent the rest of the afternoon playing in the sea & eating a curry in the hired beach hut, which I would recommend doing if you're going for more than a couple of days.

Would definitely recommend this site.

Previous     60 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Suffolk   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!