Visitor Reviews - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park ( Parkdean )

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Ayrshire > Site Reviews

Sundrum Castle Holiday Park ( Parkdean )
Coylton
Ayr
Ayrshire   (Browse area)
KA6 6HX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0844 335 3548

5m  5m  5m  5m

Open: March - November

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  18 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: RPWC 2 reviews from this member

The good points, clean well kept grounds, situated half a mile off the main road, nice swimming pool, small, but sessions are staggered, so it never gets full.

Good food, pleasant staff.

Now the bad points gents showers, only two and two toilets for 30 odd pitches, the day I visited they were dirty, and one cubicle had no provision for anywhere to leave your clothes, other than the floor. The pitches are hard standing for the caravan and gravel for the awning, poor drainage on the gravel, after 3 days of torrential rain there was about an inch of water on top' of the gravel, which took 2 days to disperse.

Not much choice of beer in the bar, mostly lager and cider.

If you don't like sport, there's not much to do on site.

All depends on your requirements.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hdorans 2 reviews from this member

Worst site I have visited in 40 odd years of camping. Weeds all over. Staff not very pleasant. Kitchen staff away before people finished meal which not what was ordered. Toilets miles away from tents. Felt they did not want campers. Gave wrong directions where to camp. Staff unhelpful. Toilets dirty. Grass needed cutting. Clup rooms ok due to attitude of management. Did not try pool so can not comment. Shop seemed to have all you would need.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Marty2711 8 reviews from this member

Shorter review than normal - a bit pushed for time. It seems to me that Sundrum/ Parkdean are actively discouraging tent campers.

The tent field, although placed very centrally and close to all the amenities and money spending opportunities (!), is set on a slope, only some pitches near the front at the car park are level.

Of course, you'll find this out once you've paid, in my opinion, over the odds for a nights camping, given that there's no option for electrics.

The park itself is clean. Neat and tidy. There's a touring area for caravans and Campervans, that seemed nice and organised. There's good outdoor facilities for the kids, a well equipped swing park and a fenced off football pitch, although I had to have a word with a lad who was kicking the ball out on pupose and whacking my car with it! Care? Not he!

Amusements will attract your kids and keep your available change to a minimum. And in true Bourne Leisure style you have to traverse the entire area to get to the entertainment hall and bar restaurant. Entertainment serves a purpose I suppose, singers and bingo was the order of the day. There were also some kids activities going on too during the day, that was a nice touch.

Toilet facilities - woeful hot water pressure at the sinks, trickle at best. Showers hot but unadjustable, the wee ones might find them scorchio! Toilet facilities = 2 toilets and 2 showers for the entire caravan touring area (30ish pitches) and any campers who happen to be there (I reckon the field would take 20 tents).

It's my view that Parkdean are all about Static Caravans and getting them sold! They gear all their marketing on site towards that. There were 6 display models literally at the front entrance and a crew of slick salesmen waiting to bait you. You even get a starter pack (cups, saucers, plates, a frying pan, towels. If you spend £20, 000). Get my name down for that!

Summary - Busy weekend, facilities okay, camping - not the best, pricey, static city.

My jury is out on these kind of sites - they have a place I suppose, but give me a site that's all about camping with nice clean facilities and a nice quiet atmosphere that calms down at night anyday in the week. See my review on Eskdale, that's the difference.

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jbrines 1 review from this member

Great value for money and a very well kept site. The touring area was will kept and clean, the toilet blocks were clean if not a bit small for the site, I can only imagine that in the summer it would be very busy.

The complex was clean. The bar area was nice and again clean. The amusement area was clean but very cold. Prices for alcohol and soft drinks very expensive which is a shame as I think we would have spent more time in the place. We went swimming on the Saturday, nice pool, clean but the changing areas were very cold.

Having looked on the web site this site gets very expensive during the children's holidays which is a shame as I think it would be nice to go then.

Booked up for another weekend in May so let's hope it is a nice weekend and they have sorted out the cold areas :)

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HClan 1 review from this member

Site on a slight slope, so you need to pick your space carefully.

Facilities good, although I will admit I do feel like I am treated like a second rate citizen as a camper, when we are only trusted to have showers that have a 'timed press button'. They were a bit too hot for my young children so it annoys me that you can't be trusted to adjust the temp(I have found this on several sites though). They ran out of toilet paper a lot, and toilets were rather wet. They were never closed, so they were not just used by tourers, shame really.

There is definitely animosity between owners and campers, in fact some were really rather rude, so avoid camping anywhere near them!

There is a cashpoint on site (charges £1. 75) and shop is well stocked. They will also freeze icepacks for you. No EHU is a bit daft considering the quality of all the other facilities.

Good entertainment, kids well catered for.

Restaurant was very slow service, but food was good quality.

We will return, but only if we can avoid owners!

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Elly68 2 reviews from this member

Well arrived Friday to be told not on our requested pitch even though we requested it as we have a German Shepherd and long caravan that we didn't want near the football pitch. Instead we were in the middle where everyone just walks through even at 12midnight on way home from bar.

Toilets security number given however door was open all weekend so used by kids from statics as well as tourers and campers, they insist on cleaning them at 9 am when everyone is using them, have to say reasonably clean on this visit.

Son age 9 loves the astro pitch and was not seen all weekend.

There is a bit of a owners versus tourers/campers attitude on this site, witnessed more than once which is ironic as inlaws own a static on Sundrum.

The meal on the Friday was ok however Saturdays meal was a disaster and mother in law said they had the same issue the week before.

Daughter age 11 bought chips from on site chip shop and brought them into the club ready to go home an attendant shouted at her saying takeaway food not allowed after saying we were finishing our drinks and going another member of staff approached and shouted at us again. This was the same attitude we got from staff all weekend.

Maybe these sites aren't for us if you like haven go for it.

Previous     18 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Ayrshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers