Visitor Reviews - Gordale Scar Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Gordale Scar Camp Site
Gordale Farm
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
BD23 4DL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Reviews:  125 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Reviewer: Curly16 2 reviews from this member

Great location for Malham Cove, Malham Tarn, Gordale Scar and surrounding areas. Fabulous views.

We didn't book, just turned up on the bank holiday weekend (at 5. 30pm) and there was space.

As previous reviews, the toilets/washroom aren't for the feint hearted. If you want spotless facilities then go somewhere else. The ladies has 3 cubicles gents 2 and a urinal. Slight smell in the ladies but not unbearable, more so in the gents apparently. Open bins under the wash basins and in the toilet cubicles were not emptied the duration of our stay (Sat to Mon). We didn't use the one shower which was unisex 10p and located in the pot wash area so can't comment on that. Based on previous reviews I took some baby wipes instead! There is lots of rubbish around and in them too what the owner has obviously collected over a long period, some of it perhaps with the intention of it being useful for someone else maybe?

Pitches - you can set up where ever takes your fancy. I would avoid the left hand side as you drive in, by the wall next to the road, it was very boggy compared to the rest of the site which seemed well drained when we walked around. You will be sharing the site with sheep so there is a lot of poo I'm afraid.

Other than when we booked in, we didn't speak to the owner but he seemed friendly enough, he spent a long time with a foreign couple next to us telling them all about the area and its history.

We didn't try them but there are a couple of pubs nearby in Malham, looked nice and always busy. Coffee shop in Malham does a lovely all day breakfast. Other than a very small shop in Malham that sold confectionery, crisp, pop newspapers I think, there are no shops nearby that we saw so if you run out of something you'll have to drive to Gargrave.

At the time of our visit, prices were 4 per person, 4 per tent, 3 for cars. No charge for dogs.

We really enjoyed our stay at this site, the basic facilities didn't bother us at all, it's a lovely little site, quiet in the most part given it was a bank holiday and we'll definitely return.

Reviewer: Glet42 2 reviews from this member

Well this campsite blew us away, on one hand we stopped at one of the most beautiful campsites we've ever stopped at and on the other, the word hoarders comes to mind. :) the toilets and showers are something to behold, dirty, uncleaned and messy, but if you can see past that like we did, you would stop here in a heartbeat for the beauty of the location. Cheap as chips. Would definitely stop here again.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: GAlcock 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here for the first time in our 7meter Van. This site is in a beautiful location and well worth a trip down the narrow lane to get there. To avoid any stress, our advice would be stop at the gate for the campsite, on the left as you get to the bottom of the hill. If the sign directs you to enter by the farmhouse, walk up and ask to enter by the lower gate. We did this and had no problem. The farm entrance would have been very tight. Agree with previous review - best to fill up with water before you get there. Site run by a helpful chap. We were bemused by the recycling system! We will return for location, location, location.

Reviewer: Madinsdale 3 reviews from this member

Excellent location, site owner friendly, facilities a little basic as noted but I knew this. Two hot water washing up sinks. Gents had two loos, not sure on girls as I didn't ask my daughter. One shower, but never saw a queue, as I suspect most will probably not bother here for the odd night.

We camped near the stream which was wonderful. Fantastic access to the scar, the cove and back to Malham via Janet's Foss. Amazing location.

My biggest concern, although may be a plus for others is the lack of a curfew. The campers next to us, although probably thought they were being quiet didn't stop talking until almost 2 in the morning, and also played intermittent music. Also I heard the odd car arrive until well after 10pm. As I said, some may find this a plus, but it does disturb the children and other campers alike.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Espressoman 2 reviews from this member

Not a campsite the faint-hearted. The facilities are basic to say the least and the and the pricing structure and contact details seem fairly random. Having said that, in terms of getting away from it all, I haven't found a place like it so far. There are spectacular views and walks and I love this location. The site is relaxed and you are able to pitch wherever you like, there's a stream running through for the kids and Goredale Scar is spectacular. In terms of privacy, you have to be aware that there is a busy public footpath running through the middle of this narrow site but this didn't bother me or cause any feeling of being watched. I love this place.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Thejames1508 1 review from this member

I though I would write this from a motorhome prospective as most of the reviews are for tents. This is a fantastic location, great start for the 7. 5 mile circular walk from Janets Foss to Malham, Malham Cove and Malham Tarn returning via Gordale Scar ( scramble down the waterfall )

My motorhome is 6. 9 meters long by 3. 1 meters high built on a Peugeot base. It is tight getting in to the field via the farmhouse entrance and you will have to fold your mirrors in to get through the gate and quickly fold them out to watch the back end of your motorhome, but Once in its well worth it. There is a water tap at the gate but I suggest you fill up before you get there as you will be blocking the gate ( its not a hose pipe style tap so you would need an adapter ) There is a slope to get out of the field when leaving, just take it easy and you will get out as I did when it was wet last time I went.

Satellite TV will work but only in the first part of the campsite away from the gorge.

Freeview didn't work for me.

Mobile, you will be lucky to get a 3G signal with any network and a very limited phone signal.

FM radio fine.

Hot water for pot washing.

Only 1 shower for both male and female to use but no issue if you have a full tank of water.

This is a great campsite and the owner is friendly, Very good price too, great to find a campsite that doesn't exploit its customers and location. It would be helpful if motorhomes were allowed to use the lower gate to enter and exit but it wouldn't put me off going.

Previous     125 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Buzz Rack Scorpion 2 Bike Carrier Win a CUBO Breeze Inflatable Campervan Awning!

UKCS Meet Camperex 2016 - Liverpool Exhibition Centre 8 - 10th January
Brand new leisure show for touring caravans, motorhomes, campers and park homes. Win tickets!

Coming Soon!