Visitor Reviews - Gordale Scar Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Gordale Scar Camp Site
Gordale Farm
Malham
Skipton
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
BD23 4DL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Reviews:  128 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
£100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win £100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sisterblue 3 reviews from this member

I spent a fantastically mellow night at this little campsite - the best location for a campsite in all of England? Its a basic little site, with toilets, a shower (out of order on my visit) and drinking water. But really, what more do you need? The toilets were clean and tidy, if basic, but that's kinda what you are looking for in a place like this. Others mentioned the hoarding; but it is tidy hoarding.

I pitched next to the little stream, and had a view right down the gorge. With a momma duck and her little ducklings quacking around, and swallows swishing through the sky (and showing undue interest in the overhangs of my tent) it was just lovely.

For the uninitiated, what are you waiting for!? You check in at the farmhouse (first house on the left past the main gate for the scar), just turn into the drive and stop at the gate. I got a friendly welcome, and it cost me £5 - one person with a tent and landrover. No campfires are allowed, and that shows in the lack of burnt spots in the grass!

Lovely; I will definitely be back!

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: SteveWilson333 1 review from this member

I have visited this campsite many times over a 20 year period. Although, understanderbly it’s sometimes difficult to get onto during peak time.

Myself, my wife and two children [9 and 12] have very much enjoyed each and every visit to this stunning location. Unfortunately it seems both the campsite facilities and the farmer who runs it come in for a lot of criticism.

Yes, the facilities are very basic and there’s a lot of unproccessed recycled material around the toilet area (a somewhat peculiar foible of the owner, but so what!). However, we do not go to this campsite because of the toilet facilities. We go there because it is a privilege to be able to camp in the most stunning, beautifully peaceful location which is not over-run with huge numbers of campers in posh camper vans and tents, packed in cheek by jowl in an overly expensive, sanitised camping “car-park”. The farmer who runs the site [single-handedly it seems] has always been a good natured, fair, straight talking man to me who doesn’t deserve to be insulted.

If you want high-end toilet facilities at eye-watering camping prices, this is not the place for you. However, if you want the privilege of being able to camp, relatively cheaply, in one of the most beautiful locations in the Yorkshire Dales, then this is it. Accept it for what it is.

Tragically, it seems that some criticism may have so upset the owner that he is now determined not to let campers on his site at all going forward, as we found to our cost last weekend. Please do not allow this to happen. If high-end toilet facilities are that important to you then Goredale Scar campsite may not be the place for you. All the better for the rest of who feel a stunning location is more important than a nice toilet.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Clitheroe 1 review from this member

Without doubt this is one of the best locations in the country. An excellent site, but the facilities and the owner let it down. It was my first stay and probably will be my last. The toilets and washing facilities smell and are unclean. The showers appear to be badly wired and the owner hoards a vast amount of rubbish spoiling the National Park. Most annoying is the owner decides the price and whether he allows you to stay by a lengthy interview. I joked with my partner that I felt like I was being assessed on suitability by the banjo player from deliverance. The site was expensive costing £30 for a tent, two people and a car. I am a respectful camper in my 50's. I was concerned that none of the campers received receipts so we had no proof we had paid, and neither did any other campers. Not sure how he knows who has paid as no names or registration numbers were taken. Not a good system.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Curly16 3 reviews from this member

Great location for Malham Cove, Malham Tarn, Gordale Scar and surrounding areas. Fabulous views.

We didn't book, just turned up on the bank holiday weekend (at 5. 30pm) and there was space.

As previous reviews, the toilets/washroom aren't for the feint hearted. If you want spotless facilities then go somewhere else. The ladies has 3 cubicles gents 2 and a urinal. Slight smell in the ladies but not unbearable, more so in the gents apparently. Open bins under the wash basins and in the toilet cubicles were not emptied the duration of our stay (Sat to Mon). We didn't use the one shower which was unisex 10p and located in the pot wash area so can't comment on that. Based on previous reviews I took some baby wipes instead! There is lots of rubbish around and in them too what the owner has obviously collected over a long period, some of it perhaps with the intention of it being useful for someone else maybe?

Pitches - you can set up where ever takes your fancy. I would avoid the left hand side as you drive in, by the wall next to the road, it was very boggy compared to the rest of the site which seemed well drained when we walked around. You will be sharing the site with sheep so there is a lot of poo I'm afraid.

Other than when we booked in, we didn't speak to the owner but he seemed friendly enough, he spent a long time with a foreign couple next to us telling them all about the area and its history.

We didn't try them but there are a couple of pubs nearby in Malham, looked nice and always busy. Coffee shop in Malham does a lovely all day breakfast. Other than a very small shop in Malham that sold confectionery, crisp, pop newspapers I think, there are no shops nearby that we saw so if you run out of something you'll have to drive to Gargrave.

At the time of our visit, prices were £4 per person, £4 per tent, £3 for cars. No charge for dogs.

We really enjoyed our stay at this site, the basic facilities didn't bother us at all, it's a lovely little site, quiet in the most part given it was a bank holiday and we'll definitely return.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Glet42 2 reviews from this member

Well this campsite blew us away, on one hand we stopped at one of the most beautiful campsites we've ever stopped at and on the other, the word hoarders comes to mind. :) the toilets and showers are something to behold, dirty, uncleaned and messy, but if you can see past that like we did, you would stop here in a heartbeat for the beauty of the location. Cheap as chips. Would definitely stop here again.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: GAlcock 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here for the first time in our 7meter Van. This site is in a beautiful location and well worth a trip down the narrow lane to get there. To avoid any stress, our advice would be stop at the gate for the campsite, on the left as you get to the bottom of the hill. If the sign directs you to enter by the farmhouse, walk up and ask to enter by the lower gate. We did this and had no problem. The farm entrance would have been very tight. Agree with previous review - best to fill up with water before you get there. Site run by a helpful chap. We were bemused by the recycling system! We will return for location, location, location.

Previous     128 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box worth £225! Win a Coolbox Cool ‘n’ Store Package worth over £235!

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 1 - 2 July