Visitor Reviews - Gordale Scar Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Gordale Scar Camp Site
Gordale Farm
Malham
Skipton
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
BD23 4DL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Reviews:  121 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Espressoman 2 reviews from this member

Not a campsite the faint-hearted. The facilities are basic to say the least and the and the pricing structure and contact details seem fairly random. Having said that, in terms of getting away from it all, I haven't found a place like it so far. There are spectacular views and walks and I love this location. The site is relaxed and you are able to pitch wherever you like, there's a stream running through for the kids and Goredale Scar is spectacular. In terms of privacy, you have to be aware that there is a busy public footpath running through the middle of this narrow site but this didn't bother me or cause any feeling of being watched. I love this place.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Thejames1508 1 review from this member

I though I would write this from a motorhome prospective as most of the reviews are for tents. This is a fantastic location, great start for the 7. 5 mile circular walk from Janets Foss to Malham, Malham Cove and Malham Tarn returning via Gordale Scar ( scramble down the waterfall )

My motorhome is 6. 9 meters long by 3. 1 meters high built on a Peugeot base. It is tight getting in to the field via the farmhouse entrance and you will have to fold your mirrors in to get through the gate and quickly fold them out to watch the back end of your motorhome, but Once in its well worth it. There is a water tap at the gate but I suggest you fill up before you get there as you will be blocking the gate ( its not a hose pipe style tap so you would need an adapter ) There is a slope to get out of the field when leaving, just take it easy and you will get out as I did when it was wet last time I went.

Satellite TV will work but only in the first part of the campsite away from the gorge.

Freeview didn't work for me.

Mobile, you will be lucky to get a 3G signal with any network and a very limited phone signal.

FM radio fine.

Hot water for pot washing.

Only 1 shower for both male and female to use but no issue if you have a full tank of water.

This is a great campsite and the owner is friendly, Very good price too, great to find a campsite that doesn't exploit its customers and location. It would be helpful if motorhomes were allowed to use the lower gate to enter and exit but it wouldn't put me off going.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Mchacksu 2 reviews from this member

As said by others this is a cracking place to stay. We turned up on the saturday morning of a bank holiday hoping there was space. We were told we could park wherever and we did, right next to the stream with a fantastic view up the scar!. Its very sheltered from the wind and a proper sun trap if your lucky as we were. The toilets are very basic to say the least and the shower would be described as interesting. The farmer is very pleasant with some strange recycling practices but this does not detract from a cracking place. We only paid £15 for a camper with two adults and a child. We have a solar panel and our own toilet so the lack of ehu wasn't a problem, even without this the stream would keep the beer cold!. The village is only a short walk away as is the scar, malham cove, janets foss and loads of lovely scenery. Theres no doubt we will be returning.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Carrie1982 6 reviews from this member

What can I say? This has got to be one of the most beautiful sites I have ever camped at!

If you're looking for spotlessly clean facilities, this is not for you. It is very basic but everything you need to camp comfortably. The owner is eccentric but kind and around the facilities are collections of discarded items, I presume left by other campers. It's easy to see past these and I was more intrigued than disgusted by it.

We paid £20 for one night - 2 adults, 2 children, 2 vehicles and a tent and whilst some may argue that for the price, the facilities should be better, I would argue that we were privileged to camp in an area steeped in natural beauty. We could choose where we pitched and to say it was a bank holiday weekend, the site wasn't busy at all.

The site is a short walk to Gordale Scar or Janet's Foss in the other direction. Malham Cove is a 1 mile walk away an the village is probably a mile away too. My boys aged 10 and 4 absolutely loved their time here; playing in the stream, stargazing and exploring!

We will hopefully be returning and staying here in the summer, staying for longer.

Date of Visit: November 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Big Smudge 1 review from this member

I visited the site in the first weekend of November, granted I hadn't phoned previously and just turned up without booking. I was told by the owner that he wasn’t open all year round any more, and this is really the purpose of my review just to give others the heads up!

He was very helpful giving me sites in the area that he thought might be open at this time of the year, and even suggested where I could wild camp.

The campsite is located in a beautiful part of the country near to a very quaint village and is well worth a stop off.

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Chrishardy 2 reviews from this member

If you like low tech facilities which are basic but clean, beautiful scenery and sites with no electricity then this is the site for you.

If you really want to camp under the stars this is the site for you.

If you want to get some sleep in the night then this is the site for you.

£5 for one person for one night. I don't care that the gentle eccentric man recycles everyone else's unwanted material in a very tidy and organised way.

Don't camp here - it's too simple and beautiful and no one else should know about it.

Previous     121 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win a bundle of VARTA camping essentials worth over £100! Win a Festival Starter Pack, worth over £100!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 20th – 23rd August
The world’s biggest tribute band music festival in East Yorkshire - PLUS exclusive 10% discount on tickets!