Visitor Reviews - Gordale Scar Camp Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Gordale Scar Camp Site
Gordale Farm
Malham
Skipton
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
BD23 4DL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Reviews:  126 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Clitheroe 1 review from this member

Without doubt this is one of the best locations in the country. An excellent site, but the facilities and the owner let it down. It was my first stay and probably will be my last. The toilets and washing facilities smell and are unclean. The showers appear to be badly wired and the owner hoards a vast amount of rubbish spoiling the National Park. Most annoying is the owner decides the price and whether he allows you to stay by a lengthy interview. I joked with my partner that I felt like I was being assessed on suitability by the banjo player from deliverance. The site was expensive costing 30 for a tent, two people and a car. I am a respectful camper in my 50's. I was concerned that none of the campers received receipts so we had no proof we had paid, and neither did any other campers. Not sure how he knows who has paid as no names or registration numbers were taken. Not a good system.

Reviewer: Curly16 3 reviews from this member

Great location for Malham Cove, Malham Tarn, Gordale Scar and surrounding areas. Fabulous views.

We didn't book, just turned up on the bank holiday weekend (at 5. 30pm) and there was space.

As previous reviews, the toilets/washroom aren't for the feint hearted. If you want spotless facilities then go somewhere else. The ladies has 3 cubicles gents 2 and a urinal. Slight smell in the ladies but not unbearable, more so in the gents apparently. Open bins under the wash basins and in the toilet cubicles were not emptied the duration of our stay (Sat to Mon). We didn't use the one shower which was unisex 10p and located in the pot wash area so can't comment on that. Based on previous reviews I took some baby wipes instead! There is lots of rubbish around and in them too what the owner has obviously collected over a long period, some of it perhaps with the intention of it being useful for someone else maybe?

Pitches - you can set up where ever takes your fancy. I would avoid the left hand side as you drive in, by the wall next to the road, it was very boggy compared to the rest of the site which seemed well drained when we walked around. You will be sharing the site with sheep so there is a lot of poo I'm afraid.

Other than when we booked in, we didn't speak to the owner but he seemed friendly enough, he spent a long time with a foreign couple next to us telling them all about the area and its history.

We didn't try them but there are a couple of pubs nearby in Malham, looked nice and always busy. Coffee shop in Malham does a lovely all day breakfast. Other than a very small shop in Malham that sold confectionery, crisp, pop newspapers I think, there are no shops nearby that we saw so if you run out of something you'll have to drive to Gargrave.

At the time of our visit, prices were 4 per person, 4 per tent, 3 for cars. No charge for dogs.

We really enjoyed our stay at this site, the basic facilities didn't bother us at all, it's a lovely little site, quiet in the most part given it was a bank holiday and we'll definitely return.

Reviewer: Glet42 2 reviews from this member

Well this campsite blew us away, on one hand we stopped at one of the most beautiful campsites we've ever stopped at and on the other, the word hoarders comes to mind. :) the toilets and showers are something to behold, dirty, uncleaned and messy, but if you can see past that like we did, you would stop here in a heartbeat for the beauty of the location. Cheap as chips. Would definitely stop here again.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: GAlcock 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here for the first time in our 7meter Van. This site is in a beautiful location and well worth a trip down the narrow lane to get there. To avoid any stress, our advice would be stop at the gate for the campsite, on the left as you get to the bottom of the hill. If the sign directs you to enter by the farmhouse, walk up and ask to enter by the lower gate. We did this and had no problem. The farm entrance would have been very tight. Agree with previous review - best to fill up with water before you get there. Site run by a helpful chap. We were bemused by the recycling system! We will return for location, location, location.

Reviewer: Madinsdale 3 reviews from this member

Excellent location, site owner friendly, facilities a little basic as noted but I knew this. Two hot water washing up sinks. Gents had two loos, not sure on girls as I didn't ask my daughter. One shower, but never saw a queue, as I suspect most will probably not bother here for the odd night.

We camped near the stream which was wonderful. Fantastic access to the scar, the cove and back to Malham via Janet's Foss. Amazing location.

My biggest concern, although may be a plus for others is the lack of a curfew. The campers next to us, although probably thought they were being quiet didn't stop talking until almost 2 in the morning, and also played intermittent music. Also I heard the odd car arrive until well after 10pm. As I said, some may find this a plus, but it does disturb the children and other campers alike.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Espressoman 2 reviews from this member

Not a campsite the faint-hearted. The facilities are basic to say the least and the and the pricing structure and contact details seem fairly random. Having said that, in terms of getting away from it all, I haven't found a place like it so far. There are spectacular views and walks and I love this location. The site is relaxed and you are able to pitch wherever you like, there's a stream running through for the kids and Goredale Scar is spectacular. In terms of privacy, you have to be aware that there is a busy public footpath running through the middle of this narrow site but this didn't bother me or cause any feeling of being watched. I love this place.

Previous     126 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

50 Tickets for the NEC Oct Motorhome & Caravan Show Win a Clarke IG2000 2kW Generator

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend, Cornwall - 14th to 16th October
A Sounds of the Swinging Sixties long weekend concert with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016