Visitor Reviews - Woodyhyde Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Woodyhyde Campsite
Valley Road
Corfe Castle
Swanage
Dorset   (Browse area)
BH20 5HU   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01929 480274

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   1m

Open: March - October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  160 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jfdiyes 8 reviews from this member

Frequent visitors to this site as it's in my favourite part of the UK.

Pitched on the first field this time, back row, up against the hedge. Nicely sheltered from the breeze & wonderful views of the Steam Train going past.

Plenty of space, nice & quiet with acceptable facilities (50p Shower tokens).

We will return.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Qvz192 1 review from this member

Terrific site location for walkers, footpaths close by Woodyhyde camp fields. Without need to use the public highway. Purchase of O/S map advisable. Toilet & shower facilities cleaned regularly. 50p token required for showers, purchased from shop. Albeit owner has laid back approach to opening hours, tad inconvenient when one requires a shower. Grr. My only gripe. Summary: Reasonably priced site, value for money.

Reviewer: AdenG1 5 reviews from this member

Just back from a 3 week stay at Woodyhyde. I'm a creature of habit and on the last 3 visits I have pitched in more or less the same location - always in field 1 and always in the second row.

Excellent location - the railway bridge means that there is a limitation on the size of vehicles on site but that just adds to the charm of it. Its far enough from the road that there is very little traffic noise and at night it actually gets dark. I live in a city so I am used to dark having an orange tinge but not here. At night you actually see a sky fullof stars.

The only traffic noise is the sound of the Swanage Railway which passes right next to the site but this doesn't seem like noise - its charming and you find yourself waving at the train.

Facilities on the site are good - for showers and toilets the new block is better than the old one but there is a shortage of toilet cubicles in the new block (certainly on the gents side!). The shop on site is well stocked.

As far as value for money is concerned I think Woodyhyde is unbeatable - as a solo camper it only costs GBP8 per night with GBP5 for electric. This is really difficult to beat.

Reviewer: Rona Atkinson 3 reviews from this member

We stayed for 4 nights in the large field 2 with our dogs (we are a family with there children). Two fields allow dogs, one is dog free. Despite the school holidays, there was plenty of space and we pitched with an amazing view over the countryside and the steam train line. The site is relaxed, with the managers happy to let you just be. Facilities were basic but clean. The older white block was a bit dated but clean however we preferred the newer block just because it was more modern. One token 50p for the shower gave 4 minutes so was more than adequate and the water was hot but not boiling so was good for the children.

The site shop sold everything you could need and was not overpriced. Only downside was it was only open for an hour in the morning and the evening. But there is a spar within a 2 minute drive.

Onsite we did have late arrivals after 10pm but there was never any problems with noise - in fact one night we seemed to be the last still up and it was only 10pm.

This is a perfect site for dogs as in our field almost all tents had dogs and no one allowed their dogs to roam free and there was no mess anywhere.

Overall a basic relaxed site with amazing views. We will be returning.

Reviewer: Mikey817 3 reviews from this member

Had a lovely stay on the site, enjoying the Dorset countryside, shame about the weather though! Second year visiting the site. Pitched in field one this year (was in field two last year). Pitch was fine, if a bit exposed to the wind! The kids enjoyed the closeness of the steam train running past.

Toilets were fine, reasonably clean, site shop is good with reasonable prices. The owner has good local knowledge and can be very chatty! Woodyhyde is on the road from Corfe to Swanage so there's plenty to see and do regardless of the weather. Would definitely visit again

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Trevor + Jo 37 reviews from this member

Stayed here on numerous occasions over the last few years and Woodyhyde never disappoints. The owner, formally known as 'Mr Grumpy', is very pleasant and helpful and keeps a well stocked shop which stays open 'til late. The lower field is dog free and spacious and now has a stone track to help access. The ledge at the back is level and you get good views across to Ninebarrow Hill.

The only change we found from previous visits is that both old and new shower blocks now operate on a 50p token system so you will need to get these on arrival. The old block was free but apparently this facility was getting abused by visitors from neighbouring sites!

The scenery, the steam train, Corfe Castle, Swanage Beach, Old Harry Rocks, Dancing Ledges, The Square and Compass cider, the coast path. The list of things to do and see goes on and on.

A very good site in a fantastic location. Will no doubt return again and again

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Englishcheer 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for Easter. Beautiful site in the heart of the countryside. The added bonus of the Swanage steam railway chugging past our pitch was lovely. Toilet blocks were basic, but clean and tidy. Token for showers, which were lovely and hot. Basic shop but open very late over this weekend!

We were two adults and a 17 year old young lad and two dogs who loved the walking right from our site.

Only thing to mention would be that the washing up area could really do with being under cover for the rainy days.

We will come back here again, as this was a nice site and close to lots of things to do in the lovely Dorset area.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: RayBP 1 review from this member

I stayed at this site twice in September, each stay for a couple of nights (just me and a smallish tent). The school holidays had finished, as had the glorious summer, so the site was very quiet with maybe 15 tents/motorhomes spread over the large area available. Facilities were clean and modern. I noticed an older building but did not use any facilities there - not even sure whether they were open. The 'camp where you like' policy suited me fine and pitching was reasonably level, grass cropped short and pegs went in without a fight. The site is a good few hundred metres from the main road and thus pleasantly quiet. During the day, a steam locomotive chugged through the site every few hours. Very nice! The campsite shop is well stocked with a good choice of food and basic camping supplies. The owner is friendly and helpful. I was there mainly to catch a ride on the paddle steamer Waverley, the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. It now calls at Swanage pier during its South coast activities each year. Swanage is a characterful seaside town a few miles down the road and Corfe Castle is about a mile in the other direction from the site. I will be using this site again.

Reviewer: AdenG1 5 reviews from this member

I decided to find a site for a 2 week break in Purbeck - I wasn't looking for the sort of facilities you find in a holiday camp, I just wanted somewhere quiet to pitch my tent, with good toilets and showers and an on site shop for all the things I consistently forget to buy. Woodyhyde fits the bill exactly.

I booked a pitch with EHU which meant that I had the choice of 2 of the 3 fields. There aren't marked pitches which offers flexibility but can also cause a few problems. I spent some time finding the right pitch and the one I chose was on a gentle slope. The grass was well maintained and free of stones and anything else which could damage my groundsheet.

The steam railway that goes right past the site is something which I found captivating - too many years of Thomas the Tank Engine I guess.

There are two shower blocks both of which are chargeable but the price was a small amount to pay for clean showers with loads of hot water. I would agree with the comments about making sure you are careful not to put your clothes in the line of fire when the shower goes on.

The only problem I had was down to the lack of marked out pitches and I think could happen anywhere. I normally park the car on the right hand side of the tent. One morning I went out and when I came back there was a tent where my car was before - it was only 4 or 5 feet from my tent. Luckily the pitching area is quite deep and there was room to park the car in front of the tent. The only inconvenience was the fact that the people in the next tent could snore for England but thankfully they only stayed a couple of nights.

There's lots to see around the site either on foot, on the bus, on the train or by car. Corfe Castle is a short walk across the nearby common and it has some great pubs which do really good food.

I have to say I really enjoyed my time at Woodyhyde - I have already booked to go back for 2 weeks in May 2014 and 3 in August.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Petsbuster 1 review from this member

Just had 2 fab weeks camping, good clean site and facilities, friendly owner, very helpful about local area, good stocked shop of camping needs, will be going back next year. Other campers were really friendly and my son made friends easily, toilet blocks were clean and never full, always easy to find a empty shower or toilet when needed. Local area really good. Swanage only 5 miles away, stream train runs along back of camp, only a 15 min walk to nearest train station, if using the train buy your tickets from shop on site as you save nearly half on price tickets

Previous     160 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dorset   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 14/10 to 19/10 NEC Birmingham
Back at the NEC Birmingham this autumn - we have 20 pairs of tickets up for grabs

2016 Visitors online !