Visitor Reviews - Woodyhyde Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Woodyhyde Campsite
Valley Road
Corfe Castle
Dorset   (Browse area)
BH20 5HU   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01929 480274

1m  1m  1m  1m  5m  1m  1m   1m  1m

Open: 1st March - 31st October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  175 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sunnydays08 3 reviews from this member

We camped with two tents with EHU on adjacent grass pitches and we found the site really lovely. The pitches were not marked and you basically pitched on any suitable ground. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The choice of three fields which were all so different meant we were spoilt for choice as we arrived on Friday and the site was fairly quiet. The site began to fill up through Friday and was very busy by lunch time Saturday.

I felt that the toilet block and shower block could do with cleaning more regularly as each time I went they were not in the best of states, some people/ children can be so disgusting when away from home. The shower block is very modern and the water was lovely and hot and 4 mins for a token was more than enough.

The shop was well stocked with essentials and lovely ice cream.

The first night even though there were lots of people arriving throughout the day and evening it was a lovely peaceful evening and we sat out just watching the world go by. On the Saturday night though in Field three where we were, there was a large group camping in what I would call the central island, surrounding them were campers with young and very young children, once this group started partying they carried on until 3am which meant the rest of us did not enjoy a good night’s sleep and was not good for the young children. This did become a little bit confrontational on Sunday morning with some parents and the group.

The steam train runs through the site which was a great sight to see. Corfe Castle is about 1 mile away and is a very quaint little village. Swanage is only around 4 miles away and the beach was lovely. You can get a return ticket from Swanage to Corfe Castle or do what we did, I was happy to have a coffee whilst the family boarded the train for a one way trip to Corfe Castle which takes about 20 minutes, I had a lovely drive and picked them up at Corfe.

We will definitely be visiting WoodyHyde again

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Parky15 8 reviews from this member

Spend half term here, in our folding camper.

We arrived at about 2pm and the shop/office was closed till 4 (don't remember being told that when we booked), but there was a very helpful man mowing the grass who told us we could pitch up anywhere (accept for the hard standings - reserved for campervans), and as we had booked EHU he told us which pitches had those, and then we should check in when the office opened.

Pitches are all slightly sloping, but nothing our levelling ramps couldn't cope with. Water taps were plentiful, although only one grey/chemical toilet point requiring us to drag the containers across rough gravel uphill (but helped ensure we were sparing on filling them up). I did see one lovely campervan owner just dumping their grey water onto their hardstandings (lovely manners).

Pitches were spacious enough and the EHU pitches had faint while lines showing the boundary, although things seemed a bit more fluid for the non EHU areas.

New shower block was nice, mainly showers and 2 toilets. Rest of toilets and some showers were in the older toilet block. Washing up areas were all outside. As there are no Caravans there, with it mostly being tents, the facilities got very busy - I was glad we were self contained.

Showers needed a token (50p) which we were told lasted 4 mins - I think it lasted longer - actually too long as you could not turn the shower off, and there was not much room to try and dry while the shower was still spraying. A bit wasteful really - be good to have a 'stop' button.

They were normally warm enough, but at peak times they were getting a bit cold - but it was half term busy.

Free wifi seemed OK near the shop, but didn't really need it as both our Three and EE network phone had 4G coverage.

Shop was well stocked, had most things you would need, including chilled wine and beer and fresh meat. And a coffee machine. And the staff were very friendly and chatty.

Great location, we camped in field 1 near the railway (on the demand of our 6 year old) but all the fields were much the same (one dog free). Even in half term, the site was pretty much silent by 10:30-11.

Only down side for young families is no playground, but there were some ad-hoc rope swings in the woods. But kids were happy playing with balls, riding bikes etc.

A great base for exploring the area and you can walk to Harmans Cross station for the steam railway (buy tickets in the camp shop - cheaper) and ask for directions as it feels you are missing the station, but it does work.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Drdeath 5 reviews from this member

Spread over three fields this site has plenty of space and didn't feel over crowded even when busy. There are two toilet/shower blocks which were both different layouts as I assume one is newer. The water flow was poor in one block and the showers were only ever luke warm in both. The water from the taps was the same. Poor flow and barely warm. The cleanliness seemed ok but you had to pay extra for shower tokens (50p each). The shop was ok but only open at certain times. There is no children's play area but there is plenty to do in Swanage or the surrounding area. There is a mixture of electric and non electric pitches and you could pitch where you like. One thing we found annoying was there are no general waste or recycling bins around the site. They are a long distance away near the main entrance. This increased the food waste in the washing up sinks which was unpleasant. The site is quite open so you would get some sun if there is any unless positioned back along the hedgerows which were quite high.

This site is very basic and could do with some improvements but we would likely return some time.

Date of Visit: March 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: MrsFeynmansBongos 1 review from this member

HEADLINES since our one night, very early season (late March):

++ beautiful site, newish/clean utility blocks, hookups work fine

-- showers were TEPID, they say they have now tested/adjusted them

Booked online for last weekend of March, on a lovely forecast. Nestling in hilly Purbeck farmland, with trees round the edges and Swanage steam railway alongside one field, this is a beautiful site.

Very early season, so understandably the shop/office was not open, but we drove on and looked at 'edge' pitches by the stream. Presently the proprietor appeared in his 4x4, advised us to move as some pitches were still very wet after recent rain (so we might struggle to get out) also sold us 2x 50p shower tokens, that would each give 4 minutes. All very friendly, as novices we appreciated the advice.

We settled on a hard pitch quite close to the utility blocks. We could see a handful of other vans/tents. Being our anniversary, I was relieved when my wife inspected the shower and toilet blocks, reporting them newish, nice and clean. TOP requirement satisfied :)

But the following morning, after being not-quite snug enough in our tent roof, she was looking forward to a nice HOT shower. She took both tokens at about 08:45, while I tidied-up/lowered roof etc. But she came back some 15-20 minutes later, rather glum as it had been TEPID. So unfortunately our 2nd-top requirement NOT SATISFIED :(

While our fan heater warmed her up, I asked another guest returning from the block, who said they had also found them hardly warm. As we made ready to go out, I left messages on campsite number but no-one appeared. We had a lovely day out, during which I sent an email of remonstrance. We were booked in elsewhere for 2nd night.

Woodyhyde rang me back 5-6pm on a hilltop, so I asked them to email. I asked for a gesture, relating my wife's disappointment and my frustration given she is a bit of a camping-sceptic. After initially offering 2 free shower tokens for a future trip, £1 was refunded to my Credit Card. From their emails:

'The showers are pre-mixed at a set temperature, which is safe for children and adults. We are running twin 75kw boilers which are feeding twin 500 litre tanks with 40mm / 16mm pipes and a hot water re-circulating pump. The temperature is set the same all year round and the showers are set to run for 4 minutes per token. When installing the system, plans were approved by Wessex water to ensure our system conformed with all regulations and the prevention of legionnaires disease. ' then next day.

'We have spent the morning testing the showers and have adjusted the temperature. '

Ok so hopefully showers will now be HOT, eg in case of a chilly Easter!

Maybe such things can go 'out of adjustment' over winter?

I hope we have done our fellow campers a service.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Labradorlass 11 reviews from this member

Just spent a few days here. What a lovely site, Just campers or tents so two large blocks of showers and loos. The site is divided into three large spacious fields. Ample room and well designed. What a pleasure to hook up to modern well kept EHU points. These can be a bit suspect on other sites sometimes. Lots to do in area, but won't mention here as most folk google nowadays. The owner Lawrence and his Groundsman come handyman Malc very approachable and friendly. If I had one criticism it would be that there is no one on site at night and as a lone female traveller I felt a bit vulnerable should a catastrophe occur! Never needed help yet but nice to know someone is responsible. A lovely well cared for site with a well stocked shop opening 9-10 and 5-6. Plus free WiFi.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Speaker12 11 reviews from this member

I decided to have a change from my usual Dorset site and I'm glad I did!

Woodyhyde is in a nice location, especially if you like steam trains. The entrance is located on the brow of a hill, isn't signed in advance and is on a 50mph limit road. So it'd be quite easy to drive past and miss it!

I'd not booked but there was lots of room. I didn't need EHU so it was a case of pitch where you want as long as it's not a EHU pitch. There are three fields, Field 3 is 'no dogs' so I went there. The field is surrounded by a large hedge which provided shelter from the sometimes pretty windy conditions. The whole site was mostly quiet.

Two toilet blocks, the newer one is mainly a shower block with just two loos. Both blocks clean. The site itself was well-kept, grass freshly cut (good news at this time of year with all the dew).

The site shop has plenty of provisions so there's no need to shop elsewhere really. There's a supermarket in Swanage around four miles away if you do.

There are lots of places to visit with some lovely cliff-top walks not far away, Swanage, Corfe Castle etc.

The site cost £8 per person which I thought was very good value. Oh and that included free wifi! Showers are 50p on top of that.

All in all a great site and I'll definitely return.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Moorepw 4 reviews from this member

We stayed on this site for 5 nights including a rather windy (45mph) weekend! The site is well kept and spread over 3 fields with 2 toilet/shower blocks and washing up areas centrally located between the fields. We stayed on field 3 as previous reviews had said it was quiet and it was. To be honest none of the fields appeared noisy despite fields one and 2 being full for most of the time. Field 3 was almost full but you weren't too close to other tents as can be the case sometimes.

When we arrived, the shop/reception desk was shut but a member of staff who was maintaining the site approached us offering help. We had booked online and he told us to pitch up in whatever field we wanted and showed us on the map where the electric hook up pitches were; and that we could check in at 5pm. The man on reception/shop was friendly and helpful. The shop has to be the best stocked campsite shop I have ever seen!

The showers are token operated and the 5 minutes you get gives plenty of hot water although if you have long hair it wont be quite enough to rinse shampoo & conditioner out.

There are plenty of washing up sinks although they are not sheltered and the temperature of the water is erratic from sink to sink.

In the new shower block, on the women's side, there is only one toilet and a disabled toilet & wet room. There are plenty of toilets in the other older block, all of which were clean but unfortunately not all the locks worked. None of us had to queue for toilets or showers at any time.

The 2 key things that would make this a perfect site would be to sort out the locks on the toilet doors and water temperature for washing up. The only other disappointment was that I had to pay adult rate for my teenage daughter which increased the cost quite significantly from a family ticket.

The site is ideally located for Corfe castle, Studland Bay and Swanage.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tarango 3 reviews from this member

We visited Woody Hyde during the school holidays. We are a family of three.

The campsite is a mile or so out of Corfe Castle on the way to Swanage.

We arrived just after lunch and the shop/reception was still open. We had read that it was opened at odd times. Check in was ok. The guy who was there used the cctv to see available pitches and where the electric hook ups were (and also shown where not to pitch!).

We decided to head towards field 3. Naturally when we came to pitch the tent it rained and continued to do so throughout our stay.

The site has 2 shower/toilet blocks with washing up sinks outside. An external company cleans these daily. I found the water in the older block hotter than the newer one but my husband found the temperature of the water ok for him in the newer block. Both blocks were clean throughout our stay and seeing as it rained the whole time I am impressed.

The older block shower water covers the whole floor so if using them don't put anything there that shouldn't get wet. The newer showers only get half the floor wet.

The toilet stalls are also quite small so may be a problem if you are on the taller/larger size.

The shop stocks provisions. Good selection of local ciders and not to expensive.

There is no children's playground but enough open space for children to the play around. In field 3 there is also a bridge into a woody area. Which is great for exploring.

There is a lot to do in the local area including Corfe Castle and Swanage. The steam railway goes past the bottom of field 1 which was lovely to see and our son loved to watch it go by.

We liked it here and will definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dawn2 6 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a few days away camping at Woody Hyde. Our daughter recommended it to us and we are sure glad she did. This is a pitch anywhere campsite with three fields for non electric hook up. Electric hook up has to be booked. Only suitable for camping and small camper vans, not caravans, the reason being is that as you drive down to the campsite you have to go under a very narrow bridge. The campsite is situated right next to the Swanage Steam Railway line and for those who love steam trains, it's fantastic to hear and see them go past (this goes on all day and in the summer period they run a diesel service until about 23. 15. The campsite is approximately one mile outside Corfe and five miles from Swanage. There are several walks from the campsite which are signposted.

This is a good campsite with two shower blocks, one is a little old but a new one has been built although they are having a few problems with them, which I am assured by the owner will be fixed soon. The new block takes tokens for the showers which are 50p each and lasts for about 4 minutes, showers are not bad but hot water is a little temperamental! There is a shop on site which sell lots of things including camping accessories, food, alcohol, ice creams and it even has a little coffee vending machine. Free Wi Fi accessible using a code, available from the shop and they even provide a phone charging service at £1 a go, you just need your lead.

I would say that if you want somewhere a bit quite then camp in field three away from the train line and the shop. We were by the shop and it got very busy and noisy at times.

You do have to book online as you cannot book over the phone. The phone number on the website is for the shop only. Once form submitted you should receive a confirmation email but if don't, then like us we just turned up and pitched wherever we wanted (there are no marked pitches) and paid at the shop when it was opened.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Caroline D 2 reviews from this member

We have been coming to this site for 34 years and still really enjoy it. The facilities have definitely improved over the years, but the feeling of the place remains the same. It still seems like a camp site rather than a caravan site (because the site does not take caravans luckily) and there is always a feeling of space. The owner is great and you get the feeling he loves the place. We will keep on coming!

Previous     175 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dorset   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans – plus 1000s of accessories ...more