Visitor Reviews - Woodyhyde Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Woodyhyde Campsite
Valley Road
Corfe Castle
Swanage
Dorset   (Browse area)
BH20 5HU   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01929 480274

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   1m

Open: March - October

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  151 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: RayBP 1 review from this member

I stayed at this site twice in September, each stay for a couple of nights (just me and a smallish tent). The school holidays had finished, as had the glorious summer, so the site was very quiet with maybe 15 tents/motorhomes spread over the large area available. Facilities were clean and modern. I noticed an older building but did not use any facilities there - not even sure whether they were open. The 'camp where you like' policy suited me fine and pitching was reasonably level, grass cropped short and pegs went in without a fight. The site is a good few hundred metres from the main road and thus pleasantly quiet. During the day, a steam locomotive chugged through the site every few hours. Very nice! The campsite shop is well stocked with a good choice of food and basic camping supplies. The owner is friendly and helpful. I was there mainly to catch a ride on the paddle steamer Waverley, the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. It now calls at Swanage pier during its South coast activities each year. Swanage is a characterful seaside town a few miles down the road and Corfe Castle is about a mile in the other direction from the site. I will be using this site again.

Reviewer: AdenG1 4 reviews from this member

I decided to find a site for a 2 week break in Purbeck - I wasn't looking for the sort of facilities you find in a holiday camp, I just wanted somewhere quiet to pitch my tent, with good toilets and showers and an on site shop for all the things I consistently forget to buy. Woodyhyde fits the bill exactly.

I booked a pitch with EHU which meant that I had the choice of 2 of the 3 fields. There aren't marked pitches which offers flexibility but can also cause a few problems. I spent some time finding the right pitch and the one I chose was on a gentle slope. The grass was well maintained and free of stones and anything else which could damage my groundsheet.

The steam railway that goes right past the site is something which I found captivating - too many years of Thomas the Tank Engine I guess.

There are two shower blocks both of which are chargeable but the price was a small amount to pay for clean showers with loads of hot water. I would agree with the comments about making sure you are careful not to put your clothes in the line of fire when the shower goes on.

The only problem I had was down to the lack of marked out pitches and I think could happen anywhere. I normally park the car on the right hand side of the tent. One morning I went out and when I came back there was a tent where my car was before - it was only 4 or 5 feet from my tent. Luckily the pitching area is quite deep and there was room to park the car in front of the tent. The only inconvenience was the fact that the people in the next tent could snore for England but thankfully they only stayed a couple of nights.

There's lots to see around the site either on foot, on the bus, on the train or by car. Corfe Castle is a short walk across the nearby common and it has some great pubs which do really good food.

I have to say I really enjoyed my time at Woodyhyde - I have already booked to go back for 2 weeks in May 2014 and 3 in August.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Petsbuster 1 review from this member

Just had 2 fab weeks camping, good clean site and facilities, friendly owner, very helpful about local area, good stocked shop of camping needs, will be going back next year. Other campers were really friendly and my son made friends easily, toilet blocks were clean and never full, always easy to find a empty shower or toilet when needed. Local area really good. Swanage only 5 miles away, stream train runs along back of camp, only a 15 min walk to nearest train station, if using the train buy your tickets from shop on site as you save nearly half on price tickets

Reviewer: LisaK13 2 reviews from this member

Firstly I have to say many thanks to UKCampsite.co.uk and the reviews without them we wouldn't have had such a great time.

Woodyhyde is a good campsite for the price. It is well positioned if you want to explore the area by car or as others have said you can walk to Corfe by a National Heritage walk. (stay on the top of the ridge though

If you do walk as we went the wrong way on our first attempt and had to turn back. If you do get to Corfe there is a great taxi that will get you back for 5 their number is on side of reception/shop.

The showers in new block are clean warm but follow the advice of the other reviews and make sure your clothes are behind the little wall. We left our shoes right in the corner at end of block they stayed dry there.

The owner does have a very good sense of humour and is very helpful so don't be put off speaking to him. The shop seems to have everything you would need but did find some basic foods were cheaper from your big supermarkets. We found a Budgens in Swanage and a Sainsburys in Wareham.

One thing we wished the site had was a children's area as the kids tended to play around their tents and our daughter didn't have a chance to meet friends as she has done at other sites.

Reviewer: Tracybb 2 reviews from this member

We arrived on sunny bank holiday weekend. The site was full!

There is no 'organized' pitches so you can just find a space where you like. Field 1 is electric hook ups & the Swanage train track is along side the field - great for kids young & old. Field 3 is dog free which was great for us.

The new shower block & older toilet block are in the middle of the site & were never busy enough that you had to queue. Considering this was bank holiday weekend & the site was full we were very impressed by how tidy & clean the facilities were. I had an occasion to visit the loos at 1 in the morning & met the cleaning contractors & there were there again at 6am & 11am.

As mentioned in other reviews, there is a bit of a design fault in the new shower block, but lets not get too hung up on it. Yes a shower curtain & some hooks in the shower would be great but guys, you are camping not visiting a hotel!

The shop is very well stocked for everything you might have forgotten & enough goodies for a fry up, or BBQ. They have an extensive beer, wine & cider collection in a large fridge ready for that evening of doing nothing.

Although the shop opening times seem limited, they will stay open for as long as there are customers coming through the door.

Great site & we would come again.

We used the site as a base to visit the local sites.

Corfe is less than an hours ramble away over the fields(note - stay on the left when you get to the road) The castle is worth a visit & the taxi costs about 5 back. Great pubs!

Brownsea is nearby too. Use the chain ferry rather than going round to Poole. It's quicker & you can park on the streets nearby before catching the foot ferry to the island.

Swanage. Beautiful clean beach, the pier is worth a visit & the town itself is lovely.

Reviewer: Mummyemmy 2 reviews from this member

I have been to this site many times I used to go with my parents when I was little. This time I went with my husband and two girls. Since I last went proper tracks have been laid to drive on throughout the site and pitches have been allocated for those wanting electric hookup. Also a new shower block has been built which excited me because the old block was a bit dark and was just as it used to be 30 years ago! Unfortunately the new showers are badly designed as the water sprays everywhere nowhere to put your clothes to keep them dry, the water from the next cubicle flows into yours, then yours flows into the next one and so on. I found that particularly gross having other people's muck swishing round my feet! At one point it was ankle depth in my cubicle! From then on I decided to use the old showers which were much better. The water sprayed in pretty much the right direction and you don't have to suffer others muck! The loos and showers are cleaned by contract cleaners but I think they need to be a bit more thorough the back of toilets need cleaning too not just the seat and bowl. Plenty of loo roll though much more than there ever used to be!

Pitches are nice and flat and a good size and if you don't want electric you can spread out as much as you want!

Some have commented on the owner, yes at first I thought he was a miserable so and so but once you get him chatting he's really nice and you can't shut him up! The shop on site is great sells everything you could possibly need.

Overall it's a really picturesque site with the Swanage Steam Railway running across the top of the site.

Reviewer: Sprucy 8 reviews from this member

I was here from 16-19 August. Unlike a previous reviewer, I did not find the campsite noisy. I think it is a sheer question of luck who is pitched in your field and when. I also don't agree that it is a bad thing not to have regimented pitches. I much prefer to choose my own pitch and it also makes it easier for groups of friends and families to be near to each other. Again, if you are hemmed in by selfish campers, that is probably a one-off question of bad luck- it has never happened to us over the years. As most other previous reviewers say, the new showers are very disappointing. Apart from water going all over the place, there wasn't much pressure and they weren't very hot; however, I realise this is pretty subjective. So just stick to the old shower block or make sure everything is in plastic bags! We weren't with children, but I noticed there are low lus for kids, which is a good idea. As for the owner, I don't think it really matters that he is not exactly effusive - it's not as though he's a guest at your dinner party! If you don't need electrics, to my mind field 3 is the best, with lovely views. If you are a walker the location is excellent, as you can walk straight from the site. All in all, I would thoroughly recommend Woodyhyde.

Reviewer: Moppy 2 reviews from this member

We've just returned from this site having spent 4 nights there.

I choose a family site on the basis that most families go to bed early and get up early which suits us. This way we (hopefully) get little noise with groups sitting up all night laughing, etc.

Well, it sort of worked out how we expected BUT the amount of noise was actually incredible until about 10pm.

There is no organisation regarding where you pitch your tent and as a consequence it can feel a bit like a refugee camp! We were totally hemmed in by tents and had to squeeze through the smallest of gaps to get out this morning.

The showers are as previous posts state. Adequate but really poorly thought out. Even the hooks where you hang your clothes are really high (no chance for younger children having an independent shower and hanging their clothes up). The toilets were really bad. Not only are they old, but they are dirty and smelly. They do flush (always a bonus) and there was always plenty of loo roll.

The shop is good and has some very thoughtful products in it (calpol, antihistamine).

Would I go back? Well, the area is outstanding and in the dead of night all you can hear are some fabulous owls tooting out their territory. But personally I would not go back. It was just too noisy with too many unruly children running around (I recall a screaming competition with the parents laughing at the event. )! A good cheap option if you just want your kids to run wild and to sit back and watch.

I'm now back on the quest in finding a quiet campsite for boring couples like ourselves! Any suggestions please?

Reviewer: Sonyalamb37 1 review from this member

We stayed here for four nights ! We booked in then went and choose a pitch! Luckily it was big enough to house our tent we had EHU! with a nice view of the railway which the children enjoyed !

My one gripe was the showers and toilets not the best I don't mind paying for a shower if it was decent and the doors to the toilets you could actually lock would be good, also the washing up area is not covered so in the rain you would have got soaked !

Would go back to this sight but couldn't do a week good for a long weekend !

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: BonnieBonbon 5 reviews from this member

I chose this site as it suited my needs perfectly - fantastic location, proximity of the Swanage Railway and a good price. I had intended to stay four nights but extended it to five because there was so much to see and do in the surrounding area.

I arrived on Monday an hour before Reception opened and chose a pitch with EHU on the field adjacent to the railway line. It had hardstanding with a water pipe near by and a nice grassy spot beside it.

The whole site was pretty quiet so I checked out the facilities. The old shower block was perfectly serviceable but the showers there are no longer free and you need to buy a token which gives 4 mins for 40p. There are way more toilets in the old block than the new and also more shelves and hooks to put your stuff when using the wash basin. The new shower block was a bit of a disappointment as the cubicles lack anywhere to put your shower gel etc and the water sprays out into the drying area so you have to make sure your clothes are well tucked away behind the dividing wall or they get soaked. You can't adjust the temperature or the flow and get 4 mins weather you want it or not. This is something the owner definitely needs to address and some minor adjustments would make the whole experience much more satisfactory. This is the only negative thing I have to say about the site and I managed to stay clean in spite of the limitations!

The wash up area is outside the shower blocks and there was plenty of hot water but it would be very exposed in the rain as there is no cover. The CDP was fine and did the job.

The owner/Receptionist has quite a deadpan sense of humour and you sense he would probably rather not be in a 'customer facing roll' but I found him helpful and pleasant enough. I didn't use the shop but noted it was well stocked with the basics as well as beer and wine at very reasonable prices. It was open for an hour twice a day while I was there except the last evening when the site was busy and it was open for longer.

The highlight fo me was seeing the steam and diesel trains pass the site and the access to wonderful inland and coastal walking. I would definitely return to this site and recommend to others but I hope they tweak the showers.

Previous     151 Review in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dorset   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!