Visitor Reviews - Aberafon Camp Site

Aberafon Camp Site
Gyrn Goch
Caernarfon
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL54 5PN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m 10m  5m   10m  5m  1m  10m

Open: Easter To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  143 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24

Reviewer: EmRobo 8 reviews from this member

Was really looking forward to this trip, camping near the beach, but a little anxious with how the winds would be.

The entrance is tight as described on the website, you could almost miss it if you didn't read directions properly. As I pulled in a car was coming out so I had to reverse on the main road. The single track goes down for a fair bit and is hilly at sections.

When we got to reception it was busy and no where to park, but people had soon checked in and we off to their pitch. On check in you are given a map to show which field you are in and which pitch number. We asked for a sheltered pitch being on the beach and we had paid for EHU.

The pitches are quite small, I think she said 5m x 5m, but as we had 3 pitches they gave us the corner plot which worked well as one of the party with us only has a one man tent.

We pitched up after we got our electric back ( a campervan decided to use our electric while no one was pitched there!)

We thought pitching the back to the hedges/sea would have been better as that would be where any wind would come from but we were wrong! (more on that later)

Once pitched we took a wonder to the beach, which was a lovely little walk ( no more than 10 mins) and the beach is stoney - no sand. The views were amazing! The kids had fun in the water and it was nice to have a fresh water stream coming into the sea too.

We were quite close to the main toilet facilities which were lovely and clean and had a radio playing. There were 4 showers, 2 private cubicles for washing and 4 toilets. Plug sockets in the wash cubicles.

There is a site shop, but we took a drive to the Tesco in Caernarfon, as I forgot all my veggie food (still in the freezer at home!)

There is a pool room and a place to freeze your freezer blocks free of charge too.

You aren't allowed campfires on site but can have them on the beach and it is an amazing experience. It is also amazing to sit on the beach and watch the sun go down with a glass of wine.

We had a lovely time here despite the winds, gusts and rain on the last night which meant we had to take the extension down as the wind was hitting it hard from the front.

I would recommend and would go back

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Newodyssee 1 review from this member

A beautiful site with amazing views of the mountains and the sea. Right of the edge of a pebbly beach, perfect for evening bbqs watching the sunset. Facilities very clean, loved listening to the radio on the speakers in the main shower block. Very helpful owners who willingly tow your trailer up to the main road at the end of your stay. Would definitely go back.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Nicholls13 1 review from this member

Aberafon is set in a beautiful location; surrounded by mountains and sea. Be aware, however, that some of the pitches are extremely exposed. We experienced some bad weather and watched helplessly as a number of tents were badly damaged. There are some sheltered pitches available, which I would recommend.

We found the owners to be welcoming and helpful. The toilets were basic but clean. The showers could be better, as the lay out means there is often water running through the block. However, on the plus side, the water was always hot when we used the showers and we didn't experience any queues.

We did find that our pitch was too small for our tent. I had offered to pay for two pitches when we booked but was told there was no need as we could have a large pitch (we provided tent measurements). However, our neighbours were almost on top of us and this was not conducive to a relaxing stay.

The campsite is in a superb location but selecting the best pitch is important in making the most of this site and what it has to offer.

Reviewer: Swrhal 3 reviews from this member

This is quite difficult-- on arrival I was shown to the top field- stunning views, quite a calm evening- then the next day the wind kicked up!- as other reviews have stated it is very exposed- I nearly lost my tent!- ended up sleeping in the car, the gazebo next to me went out to sea- it is difficult because the owners were friendly- and in a lovely location- but why are the sheltered parts reserved for caravans or tents with electric hook ups- surely would be better to have more sheltered pitches available- suffice to say I left a day early-to go to a sheltered site inland--

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Stocky13 19 reviews from this member

I have left feed back for this site before.

This time we suffered a bad storm so I would recommend not using the top field if the weather is windy, This site is so lovely, although the entrance to it is so tight it does need widening,

The showers are a bit far away, but toilet blocks are always left clean, This is a basic campsite no big thrills here and very out of the way you need a car to get about. It has a small shop for basic stuff, you can get gas refills, and has a laundry room nothing amazing but enough for a few days break. The staff are friendly and will try to help best they can.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Garionallen24 3 reviews from this member

An enjoyable visit, I stayed here as the cost of the hotel for the same period of time would have been over 100. For 15 a night, I thought it was good value.

The site, on first impressions seemed quite nice and tranquil. You're quite far from the road but next to the sea which is good. The road to the site itself is a bit tight and has a sharp bend in it but that didn't bother me.

The site itself is good with nice facilities. The showers were nice and hot and the toilet blocks were in good condition and well maintained. The small shop on site was nice and handy too.

The location is excellent, being only 10/15 mins to Caernarfon/Pwllheli and there are several villages nearby with lots of facilities. I would come back as I loved the site and the surroundings.

Previous     143 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!