Visitor Reviews - The Orchards Holiday Caravan And Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > Isle Of Wight > Site Reviews

The Orchards Holiday Caravan And Camping Park
Main Rd
Newbridge
Yarmouth
Isle Of Wight   (Browse area)
PO41 0TS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01983 531331

1m  1m  5m  1m   5m  5m

Open: 28th March-1st November

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  78 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Daz and Sara 6 reviews from this member

We have just got home from spending a long weekend at the Orchards and have to say we loved it there. The staff were friendly and helpful and the site was clean and well laid out - we had a lovely view across fields up to the Rowridge aerials. Amenities were good - largish shop, pool table, table tennis, indoor and outdoor pools. The only slight drawback for us was there wasn't a pub in short walking distance. All in all a great site and we'll definitely be back.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: DanandSan 4 reviews from this member

First advice is don't use sat navigation as it puts you down pound lane and having towed a twin axle van with bikes on top of the car I can tell you it's not advised.

Let the orchards take the hassle out of booking the ferry for you. I did and it also worked out cheaper that way. Well done the orchards

Upon arrival I found the staff helpful and friendly. They showed us to out pitch which was number YA1. This is right next to a busy pathway through to the amenity block and swimming pool so gets very busy. On pitch size I have to say I was disappointed. It was big enough for the van and porch awning but you have to put the car across the front of the unit. In 20 years of caravanning this is one of the smaller pitches I have come across. The site is well laid out and well maintained. It's a little bit heavy on the rules for my liking but it does keep the place ticking along pleasantly. Too many signs and notices. I there are 2 pools an outdoor which is nice and an indoor one which at peak times and operates an 1 hours time slot approach. I am a bit frustrated that all children under the age of 16 HAVE to be watched swimming. It's normally nice for the children to go off and find a bit of independence whilst giving us time to settle down for an hour. The shower block is the best I have seen being modern and well appointed. I was slightly disappointed to be asked to pay a £2 deposit for a photocopy of a download able local cycle ride. This seems a bit tight to me. I went to wight link ferry port at yarmouth and asked the receptionist their and she took the time to colour photocopy me one for free even though I just walked in off the street. Well done wight link on cracking customer service.

The orchards is set in rambling countryside and is well appointed and we'll run. The negative comments are only minor but would improve the welcome no end if improved upon.

Would I come back YES

Would I rate as a top 100 park NOT YET, BIT WOULD NOT TAKE MUCH

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Mr_jibbles 8 reviews from this member

Just returned from 10 day stay here. It was a return visit; we spent 6 nights here last summer.

The fact that we have come back for a 2nd year and are considering staying next summer says it all. This is an excellently thought-out and extremely well maintained site. Staff were always friendly and clearly worked hard to make the site run smoothly.

We were staying on a hardstanding pitch which had lovely views across the countryside. There was plenty of space for our car, caravan, awning and somewhere to sit in the sunshine. The site was quite busy but we didn't feel too jammed in considering it was peak, school holiday season.

The facilities block is excellent with plenty of showers, loos and sinks. Never had to queue and they were always clean, the cleaners worked at various times during the day and evening to ensure they were kept clean and tidy. The shower cubicles have loads of room to shower the kids without getting soaked myself. There is even a little area with hairdriers and sockets to plug in your own drier if your prefer, or hair straighteners.

We used the pools a number of times. Our kids (7 & 8) loved them. There is no additional payment for using them and they have good, long opening hours. No slides etc but still great feature of the site. Site also has a pool room, table tennis room and outside play area.

On-site shop is handy and has good basic range of food, drink & camping goods as well as some souvenirs.

We had fish and chips from the takeaway and also breakfast. It was good value. The kids especially liked that they could buy Mr whippy icecreams too.

We were really lucky and had fabulous weather so spent a fair amount of time on the beaches but would also recommend yarmouth, Needles old battery, fossil walk with Oliver from dinosaur expeditions cic, Osbourne house & carisbrook castle. Dinosaur isle at Sandown was also good and inspired the children to hunt for their own fossils! Bembridge lifeboat station is definitely worth a visit. We went back on a Tuesday evening to watch it launch.

All in all, an excellent site, we had a great stay.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tim27 5 reviews from this member

Very nice site, the staff were very helpful, very clean, music playing 24/7 in the shower/toilet area, great swimming pools (indoor was a bit warm), the on site shop worked out cheaper than tesco but did run low on stock - but then it would because it was such great value. The take away I would give 10 out of 10 with a great menu and service, on the whole perfect, we will be returning.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sue1234567 2 reviews from this member

We had a wonderful week on this brilliant site. There is a lovely play area for kids, a great indoor and outdoor pool and reasonable shop and take away. The pitches are large and well maintained, with ample water points and the best toilet / shower block we have ever come across. The position on the island is great and there was loads to do with our son and brilliant beaches a short distance away. Plenty of local pubs with gardens for children / dogs. I would have no hesitation recommending this site to anyone and we found nothing at all to criticise. Definitely one to try.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: LewisCampers 1 review from this member

This is a lovely site. Functional with some frills, but nothing over the top - simplicity at its best. Our only negative point was that our pitch was on a slight hill, meaning our tent was on the lean, but we pitched so we slept head up hill :-) That said, I would happily take same pitch again as it was manageable. Everything about this site is lovely: In a lovely, quiet, rural area of the island but no more than a few minutes in the car from more action. You could stay on site all week as there is a nice shop stocking any essentials you might need (from tent pegs to souvenirs, eggs to ice cream). Most guests went out during the day, not sitting around tents and caravans all day. Prices are very reasonable in the shop and takeaway which was available for breakfast and dinner. We had one breakfast and two evening meals and all food was fresh (cooked to order) and very nice. The site is very quiet, everyone very polite and dogs well behaved. Separate field for ball games and no cycling / scooter rule meant kids were not running riot. We have two children and they LOVED this site - great play area, field for ball games, two lovely pools, small indoor games room. All really good (only negative would be that indoor pool was really hot for spectators). As for the facilities centre, this was amazing. I think I counted 14 toilets, 12 showers (each with own sink too) and 6 private wash basins, in addition to more washbasins for washing hands etc - this was just the ladies! I am assuming men had the same. I took both daughters into shower with me and had plenty of room. Perfect as one would shower, whilst one brushed teeth and I had room to assist both without getting wet. A couple of times we went in and people had not left toilets in useable state, but this was cleared up before our next visit to the facilities. We never had to wait to use toilets or showers - real bonus. Laundry / washing up room is great. All sinks face windows, overlooking amazing views (what a good idea). There are washing machines, tumble driers (for modest fee) and also ironing boards and irons. I spoke to people staying for a month and who do it every year. After staying a few days I could see why they return and for so long. Extra bonus was local radio playing in facilities centre. Could do with being a bit louder, but if no-one else was around I could catch up on news whilst washing up. Others have complained about taps and showers switching off after a few seconds. Not a reason to grumble - just get in habit of pressing button before it stops :-). We took showers morning, mid-day and evening (on different days) and there was always hot water. As others have said, staff are all really friendly. They clearly enjoy their jobs and are glad you are there to visit.

This is a superb site if you are looking for a quiet, well kept site, with a few well kept facilities and want to be away from the busier side of the island. Loved that there was no evening entertainment. Our last two nights saw the arrival of some louder guests who were up late giggling and chatting, which was annoying as they were not even close to us, yet could be heard. Did not get impression evening noise is monitored which is a concern. Was not every night though thank goodness.

We will be back again, but will avoid main school holidays, as fear could get noisy / rowdy if there are no evening patrols of the site.

Previous     78 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Isle Of Wight   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers