Visitor Reviews - Wood Farm Caravan & Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Wood Farm Caravan & Camping Park
Axminster Road
Charmouth
Dorset   (Browse area)
DT6 6BT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  5m  1m   5m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  75 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Mickeymoocow 2 reviews from this member

First time to this site will not be the last (so the wife says?). Very pleasant greeting on arrival and escorted to pitch, we were also given a choice of pitches.

The site is very clean and tidy I used the different toilet/shower blocks and found them all very clean and tidy. The pool was very good and the games room and children's area must have been good as we hardly saw our daughter once we were back on site.

Charmouth and Lyme were both nice places to visit both within walking distance although hilly, bridport and west bay aiso nice places only a short drive.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bob the Builder 9 reviews from this member

The campsite is very easy to find - it is very difficult to miss as it is directly off A35 / A3052 roundabout at the top of the roads to Charmouth and Lyme Regis. The staff at reception were very friendly and lead us to our (allocated) pitch on a quad bike. They say that a record is kept of any previous pitches you have had, so if you want the same the same one again, they will make every effort to do this. The site is very hilly and some of the caravans had novel techniques to get them level.

We were sited in the Eastern low side of the site - called something like Oak Lea. It is the nearest section to the pool and play area. It is a terraced section with 3 or 4 caravans per terrace, with fully serviced pitches. Our pitch was level though. Some pitches around the outside of this section were electric hook up only. Each terrace is not that ‘deep’ so positioning the caravan can be tricky. Reversing on involved almost jack knifing Next to us appeared a long twin axle caravan on one day. Sadly I missed this being positioned but the owner said it was interesting! When full, the site seems fairly densely populated with our pitch being overlooked from all directions.

The facilities are modern and very clean. Near us was a block with whole rooms containing a shower, toilet and sink. These were lovely to use - your own washroom but it did mean they were often all in use - a little frustrating if you just needed to pop in to use the toilet. There were other standard toilet blocks just a short walk away though.

The pool on site was a hit with my 8 year old son. There is a charge of £2. 50 per person per swim so this did add up. However, it is a lovely clean indoor pool. If you think you’ll get the use, there is a discount for buying multiple swims with the minimum being 20 I think. Probably good if you have 3 or 4 children!

The games room proved popular too with my son often asking to head down there on his own to see who else was there. It became a great little meeting place for the children and he made many friends. The room contains a pool table, table tennis table, soft play area, TV and vending machine.

There is so much to do in the local area. My son loves fossils and dinosaurs and we found loads of ammonites, belemnites, devils toenails etc just lying on the beach. Particularly good for this was Monmouth Beach walking West around half a mile from Lyme Regis, where the spectacular Ammonite Pavement (with huge fossils set in the rock ledges) can be seen at low tide. Also good is walking East towards Charmouth from Lyme Regis towards a cliff called Black Ven. There is currently work going on with the sea defences here so this walk is only possible from Lyme by walking on the beach at low tide. We did the organised fossil walk on one day, booked at the Lyme Regis museum - very informative and well worth it.

For food in the area, we liked the Royal Oak pub in Charmouth. This can be walked in around 15 minutes from the site. I’d recommend walking to Charmouth but driving to Lyme Regis as this is just a bit further, down a very steep hill and has plenty of car parks.

Back to the site itself, there is a good mobile phone signal and 3G coverage. I notice some reviews mentioned road noise from the A35. It was fine where we were, just like the sound of wind in trees with just the occasional boy racer making a bit more noise. I suspect it may be a bit noisier in the Western higher part of the site as this backs onto the A35 after the roundabout where vehicles are accelerating away up the hill. Traffic noise aside, it is a very quiet site, virtually silent after about 9pm. There is a ban on bicycles and child’s scooters etc being used on site. When I first read this, I thought it was very harsh. However, after now seeing some of the very steep roads and paths on the site, I think it is correct. There would be some nasty accidents with a great speed very quickly reached. There are hardly any level bits!

In summary, we had a lovely eight nights here and will certainly return, probably to the same pitch if possible.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Adalice 2 reviews from this member

This is an immaculate site. The pitches are generous and well laid out in small areas. Each area has immaculate toilet blocks, plenty for each area and they are cleaned regularly. The grounds for use of guests are very extensive and well kept. There is a restaurant/bar serving a variety of meals. The site is very close to Charmouth which has shops and pubs and Lyme Regis is a very short drive away. All in all an excellent site to visit.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: MOLLYANDTED 1 review from this member

Stayed for a week, and did not want to come home. Staff amazing, views amazing. Little noise from a35, but not a problem. Nice little walk past the piggies to the lake. Charmouth is a mile away with it's cafe's and stony beach and is a very quaint little village with a handful of shops and pubs. Lyme regis is lovely too, if you park at the top of lyme, although quite a tough walk back up, the views are amazing. Would love to buy a static at wood farm.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Fee Fi Fo 5 reviews from this member

This is the third year that we have stayed near Lyme Regis for the annual fossil festival and the third campsite we have tried. This one is about perfect. The premium pitches with water and waste hook up are on terraces. The area is naturally a hilly one. Although the pitches are hard standings you do have to go along the top of a grass bank to get to the hard standing bit of the pitch. Not sure how well that would stand up to some wet weather. The campsite staff were terrific and some of the most pleasant I have encountered. We had to have two cars with us but that was no problem and also had friends to visit and again no problems encountered.

The children enjoyed the outdoor play equipment where there is enough room for ball games, the indoor play room I can imagine being very popular on wetter days.

The pool is very good indeed, and ok you have to pay but it's cheaper than a swim at a leisure centre and it is very well kept. The changing facilities are good.

The shower room facilities nearest to us were very good with each one being a little shower room with toilet wash hand basin hair dryer and wonderful full length mirrors which are so often absent. A little more signage might be a good thing as I saw one confused looking camper taking his washing up into a shower room.

Overall this is a very good site and because of the terracing, the views are tremendous. A little bit of road noise from A road admittedly but certainly wouldn't put me off stopping here again.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Michael pollard 2 reviews from this member

I stayed here in April with my 2 daughters. It was a lovely site, so peaceful. Great fishing pond. The owners were so polite and helpful. The grounds were so clean and everywhere was spotless. So if it's something for you I would definitely go. I'm now awaiting relay to go again in may, hopefully they will have some days for me, but I'm going on my own so quiet

Previous     75 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dorset   -   Search for a site

Win a Dining Package, worth £124.98 from Yeomans Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!