Visitor Reviews - Aboyne Loch Caravan Park

Aboyne Loch Caravan Park
Aboyne
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire   (Browse area)
AB34 5BR   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 1m  1m  5m   10m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: DaveBee001 1 review from this member

Arrived on time agreed with owner 3pm. No sign of anyone. Waited about 20mins then owner arrived. Very pleasant. So far so good. Charge was £12. 00 per night. No concessions for children. Was told of £5. 00 deposit for toilet key. Handed over £20. 00 and wasn't given any change, naively expecting my deposit and the change to be returned the following day. Then we were guided to a very small area, completely unsuitable for camping. After several fruitless attempts at constructing the tent (I have camped all over Scotland on all terrains) I went to the office to see if this could be changed and again, there was no sign of anyone. We eventually had to camp on a slope. The ground was rock hard and what was more annoying was that not only was there plenty of soft green areas to camp in that were available, we were camped right next to a road where people were constantly stumbling into our tent. Didn't worry me but bothered my 6yo. This was his first and our first 'father & son' experience of camping. The following morning we went to hand the key in to collect my deposit and again, no one was there. We waited a long time along with several others. We could not wait any longer. Very disappointing. I called the owner the following day and she promised to return the £5. 00 in the post later that week, which she did. Not the £8. 00 I was due. My fault, I should have asked for the change at the time. Despite the beautiful location, its not worth taking your tent and def not worth the money. More suited for motor homes and statics and definitely not for kids. Wont be returning.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cat5436 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was wonderful. Staff very friendly greeted on arrival and given choice of where to camp. We chose a small pictch by the loch which we were the only ones there. We had a view of the loch and wildlife amongst the static caravans. Lots of rabbits running round and lots of friendly local ducks. Had a nice little sheltered area for cooking nearby with chairs which we used for cooking and eating alfresco. Only saw 2 other campers who came and went, plenty of space for everybody and I wish I was there right now!

Toilets very clean and considering it was August peak season completely deserted. It is a mainly static site by looks of it so if you are camping you have this all to yourself.

Not far at all from Aboyne we ate at one of the pubs was very nice and very old fashioned grocers shop there. Great base for our holiday, would recommend.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Kidsintow 6 reviews from this member

Visited with a view to booking in, but with three children under 10, it was not appropriate for us to stay.

A bit tired and dated looking. A good site for people looking for quiet and a base for walking, sightseeing etc. Not appropriate for young children due to the location of the loch and no playpark.

On first impressions it looks a bit shabby and we almost drove right out without looking further.

If we had been on our own as a couple, the views over the loch alone might have enticed us to stay.

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Dave7639 1 review from this member

Previous comments seem to relate to 2006. The current manager, Harriet, took time off in that year due to her husbands death. Another couple were drafted in to take over, they were not popular.

The site is mostly statics but there is a nice little area beside the loch for tourers. We have been there several times over the last few months and have made friends every time.

The toilet block is clean and only 1 minutes walk away.

There is a covered area with seating for BBQ.S as well as an open fire area. Wood is provided free.

The noise from the road comes from motor bikes accelerating, but can be lived with.

Lots of nice walks nearby and golf available next door.

All in all a lovely site and worth a visit.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Philind 2 reviews from this member

I love this campsite at the edge of the loch amidst woodland.  I have been here many times before though not visited for a few years.  This was my first visit with a tent and I was a bit disappointed in the people in charge of the site.  We were guided to our spot and told to pitch as close to the edge as possible as there were a number of tents expected (it was the weekend of the Aboyne Highland Games). We were then told that we would have to move our car to make room for more tents, even though nobody else had been told to move their car to my knowledge.  My daughter was told to pitch her tent at the rear of mine, though I have to admit I had no idea why as we were the first of the tents to arrive.  Even  with the hassle our weekend was great, the toilets were nice and clean and there was BBQ's and camp fires placed with wood for the campers to use. Our first night was disrupted a bit by noisy campers, but the next morning they were sent of site as soon as a complaint was made.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: 24carrots 5 reviews from this member

Beautiful woodland site.  Although mostly statics, there is an area for tents with BBQ for campers use and sink for doing dishes.  Seems unfair to have to pay for hot water - 50p a token to wash dishes.
There was a lot of noise from the busy main road  (although it was out of sight, the noise was very annoying). The location was very beautiful, next to the loch, and lots of ducks and wildlife.  Rowing boats can be hired per day or per hour and you can fish.
Please note, we found the ground very stony with tree roots everywhere so do pack a mallet as even with this, we had trouble.
Shower block and toilets were quite far from campsite but facilities good and clean. Plenty of shower cubicles.
Lovely walk to Aboyne from reception area which is great as it avoids having to walk on the very busy road. Aboyne itself has a scattering of shops and a few pubs.
Despite some negatives, it is a lovely site and you feel very much back to nature.

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Aberdeenshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth £467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!