Visitor Reviews - Craig Tara Holiday Park (Haven Holidays)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Ayrshire > Site Reviews

Craig Tara Holiday Park (Haven Holidays)
Dunure Road
Ayr
Ayrshire   (Browse area)
KA7 4LB   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel:

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  27 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Phiddles 1 review from this member

Our first trip to Craig Tara, a massive park with many facilities offering good value for money. But badly let down by cleanliness of touring facilities and temperature of swimming pool.

Touring area adjacent to main road, soon got used to noise of passing cars, a bit of a down/uphill hike to the entertainment buildings. No problems with electricity supply, our caravans microwave, heater, kettle worked without issue.

Main restaurant newly refurbished and looked great - plenty of other on site food options - although we did our own thing.

Shop well stocked and reasonable prices.

Childrens soft play area quite new and was well received by our children.

Touring toilets/showers were inexcusably dirty throughout our stay. A real shame as the block itself is quite new.

Swimming pool itself and showers in the changing room were freezing cold.

Would happily have paid a bit more for clean facilities and a pool we could use as a family.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Stu666 4 reviews from this member

Visited this site with family and our tourer in September out with the school holidays.

Checking in was straight forward, did not have to get out of the car, and the warden was welcoming.

Touring area was not exactly pretty and it was miles down a hill to the entertainment but we got to choose our own pitch which was full serviced.

Sadly it went down hill from there, mainly due to the other visitors and the travelling community that had set up camp. The traveller children had no respect for our personal space and were in and about our pitch and just staring at my 2 toddlers, not saying hello or anything.

My wife then went to use the toilets facilities and they were disgusting mainly due to children throwing dirt about - no I'm not joking!

We thought about going home but thought we would go and check out the entertainment facilities, they were ok just the usual you expect at these type of holiday camps. Carpet in the show hall was so sticky, felt like I was walking about with Velcro on my feet.

After this we returned to the caravan and again there was a swarm of children, not saying hello or being friendly just staring close up at our car and caravan (I don't have a fancy car or caravan?)

Rather than risk having a word and risk upsetting the travelling community we hitched up and headed home.

Managed to get a full refund, thanks haven, but the holiday was still ruined.

I wish haven would impose the same rules other sites do regarding no commercial vehicles or large groups.

I doubt very much I will return to this site - a shame as I wanted to like it, it's cheap, not far from home and has everything you could want for your kids leisure wise.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Macdaf426 2 reviews from this member

On entering the campsite the warden was very helpful upgrading us as we were disabled and he did not think the one we had was suitable for our needs. When we decided to have a walk around the complex he suggested we took the car as it was a long walk down a hill to the complex, glad we did as it was a long way down. The Haven sites are much of a muchness with all the same things to do and see ideal for families as they seem to be geared up for children. The touring section is situated at the very top near the entrance.

There is a double decker bus which takes you from the site into Ayr every hour and then back again every hour which is handy although a bit pricey (£10. 30 for two return) but then again maybe that is comparable with parking fees. Ayr is about 5/10 mins from the site. We probably will not be back as this was a short stop over on our way from the deep south to tour Scotland. Generally speaking it is a very tidy and clean site as is most of the Haven sites and as already said a very good family site.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sheeprider79 11 reviews from this member

I visited Craig Tara in Easter 2013 a last minute decision, I was offered a good price for a touring pitch. We travelled down from the North and headed past Ayr, the resort is easily sign posted and the entry is on the right hand side. On first arrival I was concerned on first impressions, the touring part of Haven is at the top of the hill and on my right when I arrived I seen 2 x areas for caravans. Serviced pitches which are really good but there was also caravans situated what looked to me a bit of a free for all in a oval shaped area covered in chuckies/stones. (I believe this was the old bus parking area)

I met the nice chap at the barrier who led me to my pitch, thankfully I had booked a super pitch it was good size, fine for the awning. We were also close to the toilet and shower block which had good facilities.

After we set up we headed down to the resort, there was a lot of hype in the main street with the staff all singing and dancing putting on a show and welcoming people to Craig Tara. With Haven you get free access to the entertainment, this was good as it kept the kids entertained in the evening. The shows are a little bit repetitive however if the kids are happy that’s all that matters, the bar and character shop sells all the right things (beer and kiddy things costly of course). Indoor play centre is great again kids love it and there is a cafe nearby where you can enjoy a coffee. Spar is on site, it can be a little expensive, however there is also a COOP 2 miles away heading into Ayr direction and that’s all normal prices. The amusement arcade is good, although you can spend so much money, they have various games for the kids, pool, air hockey, arcade machines, kids small rides etc…. Swimming pool is good has various flumes etc…. I did find it a little too cold for my liking but hey maybe that’s age on my part, my son loved it.

There is a chippy, restaurant bar and a Burger King, I only eat at burger king once and I was just under £25 for a family of 4. A tad expensive but expected I suppose.

Out of 10 I’d give it a 7/10 - My kids loved it and that’s the main thing - But money does not go far.

Would I go back? Yes, but only if I had the same serviced pitch.

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: DENNIS255 2 reviews from this member

Me and my partner stayed at graig tara holiday park haven holidays. The pitches are a good price but they soon make up for it by charging top dollar for everything. Drinks ie coffee beer, go karting, prices that take your breath away and you know your getting ripped off, nearly £4 for a pint. And why do they charge for your dog if you have your own unit ie motorhome. We wont be returning. We found that we had been put in the old coach car park at the very top to get to the complex it was over a mile away. Wont be back

Date of Visit: October 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Helen8785 12 reviews from this member

Stayed here for half term in October and just got back.

Touring site is fine, clean and well kept. Security is good and the security men where helpful.

Only problem with the touring site was the toilets, these were filthy. This however is no fault of the cleaners, this is the dirty women leaving the toilets like you have never seen! I couldn't let my children use them and certainly wasn't going to use them myself either.

The facilities on site are the same as every other haven, so you know what to expect if your going there.

All in all a cheap week for the kids, plenty to do out and about if you use it as a base.

Wasn't noisy or dirty on the site so we would return.

Previous     27 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Ayrshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers