Visitor Reviews - Grannies Heilan Hame Holiday Park ( Parkdean )

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Highlands > Site Reviews

Grannies Heilan Hame Holiday Park ( Parkdean )
Embo
Dornoch
Highlands   (Browse area)
IV25 3QD   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0844 335 3548

1m  5m

Open: March - November

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  32 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Salsapembs 9 reviews from this member

My family & I stayed for one night in a motorhome on our tour around Scotland during the Easter holidays. Having experienced a number of different caravan parks over the years we found this one to be very comercialised, over crowded & not near enough showers for the size of the touring area. The very large site had friendly staff & good priced pitches but the toilets & ONLY 2 showers weren't clean during our stay. On the plus side, there is good on site facilities (shop, restaurant, takeaway, swimming pool, entertainment) Catered more for the static caravan market.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Daveroughley 7 reviews from this member

Well where to start.

I live in the village and obviously know grannies very well.

In Embo itself we have a very nice local shop with most of what you need.

Our beach is second to none. Apart from the weather.

As for reviews regarding the pier in disrepair. This was natures fault. We had a ' perfect storm ' which wrecked the pier and made a mess of the site.

The staff and local people got together to clean up the total mess left.

If anyone has any questions regarding the area pls don't hesitate to ask

Reviewer: Subbyc 3 reviews from this member

Just had a great weekend on this site, more due to the company than the site though. The shop seems well stocked and has 'reasonable' opening hours. There appear to be a good range of facilities on the site but I didn't use them personally so can't comment. I stayed at the furthest area from the entrance, just along from the pier and dunes. The toilet block there has been painted inside and is cleaned twice daily I think but it would benefit from being upgraded. There was a kitchen type sink in the block which I assume was for cleaning your dishes but I found it a bit off-putting when doing my dishes that someone was in the cubicle adjacent. Would you clean your dishes with that aroma around you at home?

To be fair however, there was a purpose built block but that was some distance from my tent, but why not upgrade the furthest away block too?

Positives? beautiful area, pleasant staff, plenty to do in the area, great for kids and the beach and starlit skies are beautiful.

Would I go back? - yes, without a doubt.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: McPotatohead 4 reviews from this member

First visit to Grannies. Location is good with beach (sand and rock pools) 5 mins walk from site. Exposed so take a jacket just in case. Watch out for the jellyfish. I've heard lots of good things from visitors so was expecting much. Some things are good and some not so.

Good: location, Dornoch is beautiful. Must try Chinese takeaway and Eagle Hotel for lunch or dinner. Beach is very windy so a breaker is recommended or sandwiches really will be.

Not so good: site is big and busy. Be warned lots of to'ing and fro'ing at all times. Including noisy parties returning from the bar. I'm no prude but youths swearing at the top of their voices at midnight I can do without.

Also lots of kids running about seemingly without parents attached. I talking about the under 4's here.

Despite comments previously I was disappointed with the toilets/ shower blocks. Both need updating and revamping. It's not really acceptable in 2013 for the wash facilities (so much a point of scrutiny) to receive so little attention bearing in mind the vast numbers being catered for. Over 100 pitches and 4 showers/ 4 toilets in each. Grubby slippery tiles smelling overpoweringly of urine. Definitely a put off. Showers were hot though even if the mats were stained with goodness knows what and 50% of the locks broken. My singing isn't up to it. I won't be returning sorry. May be a case of a large organisation concentrating on the largely profitable things ie alcohol consumption. The staff were pleasant and helpful though. Why doesn't the toy shop display any prices?

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jeannie1066 2 reviews from this member

We had a lovely week here with 2 kids aged 6 and 11 and 4 adults. Weather was windy and a bit cold at night but we were in a tent, and practically right on the sea! Toilet blocks very clean and well maintained, pool small, but with a booking service only an allocated amount of people are allowed in at one time.

Takeaway was very good with huge portions, only down side was it was closed 4 nights of the week.

Restaurant served delicious meals and they had a large choice on the menu.

Entertainment and bar was great for kids at night, with the highlight being Sid and Lizzie.

I have to say I was very impressed with the hard working staff who did everything, from serving meals, to serving in the bar, to entertaining on stage! The shop is expensive, but they have a captive audience, if you need it you pay. Too many slot machines as is the case with most family sites these days. Overall a great week and the falls of shin are worth a visit.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hazlet 3 reviews from this member

Our third camp site and I would say it wasn't for us at all. This is a huge site and very busy. We hardly slept due to noise especially after the bar shut at night. There were a couple of children whizzing round on quad bikes, dogs running loose and large groups of campers which when we booked we noticed were actually not allowed and was part of the reason we booked! We picked a busy time perhaps as it was Glasgow fair fortnight.

The one shower block that we were using was being done up and wood with nails sticking out of it was lying around outside on the grass. One night someone was sick just inside the entrance to the shower block, we told the staff about 3 times before anything was actually done about it, one staff member didn't even realise that shower block was in use!

The beach is lovely, the facilities looked tired and dated but the playgrounds looked safe and were well used by children, we didn't use the bar or entertainment so I can't comment other than to say it was noisy/busy.

The staff were all pleasant and cheery but our experience of the site itself was not good and we actually did receive a full refund for our time there as it really was not what it should have been going by the brochure and booking procedure. We won't go there again as it was just too busy and noisy for us. Others seemed to love it, so if talent shows, bars and disco's are for you then maybe you should give it a go, if you want a nights sleep avoid at all costs.

Previous     32 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Highlands   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!