Visitor Reviews - Sauchope Links Caravan Park

Sauchope Links Caravan Park
Warsea Road
Crail
Fife   (Browse area)
KY10 3Xj   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Open: 21st March To 31st October

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale  Glamping

Reviews:  51 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Nedsram 17 reviews from this member

This site hits all the spots, and is one of the best we have visited. It's immaculately laid out and cared for, has a 'to die for' location next to the beach, fully serviced pitches, all hard standing (but some sloping) and a very good toilet block with very nice showers. Some have complained that it isn't particularly friendly, and certainly there seem to be quite a few 'rules and regulations', but we didn't find any issues with these. Recycling facilities and a games room are located at the far end of the touring units part of the site. (Most of the site consists of static units. ) We noticed that there was a go kart course nearby, but we never heard any noise from it. We also saw Eider ducks on the rocks. Very peaceful!

Top tip. The bus to St Andrews and points west calls at the end of Pinkerton Road, which is just off the coast path a hundred yards towards Crail. There is no need to go into the centre of the village to catch the bus.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Tour gs 9 reviews from this member

Visited Sauchope for the second time for a weekend break and to do some of the Fife coastal path. Walked from Crail to Elie, about 13 miles, through pittenweem and st monans. Really good walk and lovely villages if you spend a bit of time walking around the back streets and lanes. Got the bus back to Crail for 4 per person.

Booked in over the phone no problem. No one about when we arrived at 5. 30pm but our allocated pitch was displayed on the reception window. Had to ask around for the combination for the toilet block though.

The location of this site sells it, it's right on the beach looking over the Forth estuary. The pitches are tidy and quite a few fully serviced. The rule about caravans pointing towards the sea is okay if you have a motor mover - we don't and it would be difficult with some of the pitches to drive straight on as your car will be over the edge and onto the beach. We got help from another visitor to spin the caravan round before we left, cheers for that.

The showers were powerful but not the cleanest. They could do with a mop left outside so people can give it a quick wipe in between? Also there's no plug for the sinks at the washing up area which was annoying although there was plenty hot water.

A shop is mentioned part of the on site facilities but I couldn't see anything obvious.

Only other thing is some of the pitches near the entrance aren't that level but there's a few bit's of broken slab or brick just over the grass bank towards the shoreline if you don't have your own.

A good site but a few small changes could make it better.

Reviewer: Westcoaster 4 reviews from this member

I stayed in this site for one night, which for me, my car and two-man tent cost 15.

I was assigned a grass spot to camp, marked by a numbered slab. My pitching spot was just underneath a raised tier of wooden lodges so I felt (and literally was), overlooked. It felt a bit odd to be pitched quite so close to others. Thankfully there was no caravan pitched either side of me.

It had taken me several attempts to get a pitch on this site - due to its stunning location right on the coast and on the outskirts of Crail it's obviously incredibly popular. The site is right on a beautiful pebbly beach looking across the Firth to East Lothian and only a short footpath away from sandy, safe beaches and the beautiful wee town of Crail with its harbour, shops and eateries.

This site only allows small 2 man tents, and I got the impression having a tent on site at all was quite uncommon - the site looks and feels designed for caravans and campers. I was the only tent camper there at the time I visited. A couple of people even commented 'ooh, a tent, there's camping here' and gawped at the tent and trangia, which made me feel a little conspicuous. No bonfires or disposable BBQs are allowed on the grass for obvious reasons, but no-one objected to me cooking tea on my trangia which I had placed on a wooden board so it didn't burn the grass.

The showers/toilets have a security code for access. Men's and women's loos and showers are in the same block which felt a bit odd. Sinks are in each loo cubicle, but the hand towels are only available outside, so the door handles are permanently wet, which was not the best arrangement. The loos are perfectly adequate, though in places a bit grimy with a slightly yucky drain and wet tiles a lot of the time - but they're really fine and there are two hairdryers, adequate soap - and piped music. The washing up area has two sinks and is outside at the back of the loo block and there was loads of really hot water - great. There is another loo block and games room at the other end of the site which I didn't investigate. For children there is a small play area with swings and a chute - plus the entire coastline to have fun in, and even a small heated swimming pool. There are electric hook-ups, chemical disposal and drinking water points (the water's a bit chlorinated I think).

Noise wise, this site was pretty quiet for a family site, which I appreciated. Mostly I could just hear the waves bashing on the shore overnight: lovely! The site is pretty windy, but I was able to park the car to give my tent some shelter and it wasn't a problem at all.

The site is pretty popular so it's busy - I think it would be nicer if there was a tent area where tent campers felt a bit less dwarfed and shoe horned in beside all the large caravans and lodges. I think the charges are quite dear for a tent, and there are no benches with a metal plate to allow stoves or anything, but as I said I think this site is really aimed at caravans and you're really paying for the great location. The same company owns the sites at St Andrews and Elie, so I wonder if those sites are set up in exactly the same way. It's an amazing location though, and whether you're doing the Fife Coastal path, interested in art and culture and history or golf or simply love the beautiful East Neuk and its beaches this place is definitely worth a visit. I would certainly visit again, if I could get booked, but I do wish it was a little more tent friendly.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Aldoscott 18 reviews from this member

This was our final site on a tour of Scotland.

Wow. What a view.

We calledt at 9 am and got a waterfront, fully serviced pitch for that day.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and the serviced pitch was perfect. No levellers required.

We ended up staying 4 nights because we lived it so much.

The only negative is that the shower block needs updating and could be a bit cleaner.

This should not put anyone off because this is one of the best sites we have visited and will return later this year.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Stevie and Rosie 1 review from this member

Just back from a nice weekend with our grandson who is 2and a half years old. The play area was small and only had a set of swings and a slide. The toilet blocks are tired and in need of a good clean to remove mould etc. The staff were very nice and worked hard keeping grass and grounds neat and tidy. The small towns in the area were very nice were recommended to go to the wee chippy and the restaurant behind it give it a miss in anstruther, over priced and poor quality. We would like to go back to sauchope as if you are on a super pitch you can always use your own shower.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jimmn 11 reviews from this member

Spent an enjoyable 4 days here on one of the very scenic seafront super-pitches.

It's a requirement that the caravans all face out to sea, so if you are on the sea front, you will have to uncouple and manhandle your unit into position. We had no problems with space on the pitch (including awning) as there is space for your car to sit across the pitch to the rear.

The toilet blocks are clean enough, but they have red clay tile floors (including the showers) which I don't particularly like. No hand dryers - only paper towels which can run out towards the end of the day. The chemical toilet is inside a stuffy cupboard with a sprung door to the rear of the washblock - I prefer open-air points and it wasn't fun holding the door open with a foot whilst emptying the loo. (a little bit niffy as well)

The water on-pitch is fine for washing up, but it tasted fairly awful in tea - I suspect it gets pumped a long way to get to the site and is heavily chlorinated as a result. Get some bottled water from the Co-op in Crail and you'll be fine.

As others have said, Crail is a lovely town. Try a visit to the pottery and the harbour is charming. An easy footpath from the site takes you there.

Would return.

Previous     51 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Fife   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 14/10 to 19/10 NEC Birmingham
Back at the NEC Birmingham this autumn - we have 20 pairs of tickets up for grabs