Visitor Reviews - Thurso Bay Caravan & Camping Park

Smith Terrace
Scrabster Road
Thurso
Highlands   (Browse area)
KW14 7JY   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m   1m  1m  5m  5m   5m  1m

Pitches: 80 Touring Caravan & 50 Camping
Open: 31 March Through September

Reviews:  29 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Annyvials 7 reviews from this member

We stayed here for one night. It poured with rain and was very windy all night (nothing to do with the site obviously)

The toilets were nice and clean when you eventually got in. You are given a code which you punch into the door lock thingy. Hubby found that very annoying especially when he got up in the night.

The view's nice and I would have liked to have used the cafe but from our van window in the pouring rain, it didn't appear to be open.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Davercox 9 reviews from this member

Like the last reviewer, we stayed only one night en route to Orkney. Agree with the points made in the last review. View across Thurso Bay is fantastic. One very slight carp: checking in (we had booked but didn't appear on his list) was laborious and slow, mainly while the owner explained several points as if to a 6-year-old. We have been caravanning for over 20 years, and really didn't need this waste of time.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Vanterrier 27 reviews from this member

Arrived in evening and was booked in efficiently by friendly staff. Given choice of pitches. Pitches with EHU were all grass but were mown short and tidy, site was on a slight slope so had to be careful driving off next morning on wet grass. Pitches were huge.

Toilet facilities were clean and had plenty hot water and good shower water pressure. Was very quiet when we stayed, with just a few motorhomes and a couple of tents.

Lidl across road was handy

Views across to Orkney (our destination next day) were fantastic and path along clifftop tidy and good for a dogwalk ( locals seemed to pick up their dog mess which is good) although I would imagine parents might need to keep a close eye on their kids as the cliffs are very high.

Overall I thought the site provided a good service and I would recommend it as a stopover before moving onto the Orkneys.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Bennies 2 reviews from this member

We stopped over for one night on our travels, we hadn't booked beforehand. When we arrived at reception, the staff were booking us in while another lady was trying to drive onto the site. She wasn't happy as ourselves and another van had stopped in the reception lane to book in and she was boxed in. There is an alternative road round the site and the staff pointed this out and continued booking us in. We felt the issue was dealt with good humouredly and sensibly by the staff.

The view from the site over to Thurso and the ocean is lovely and the view out of our van was a big concern of the staff when our pitch was selected.

The toilets and showers are very clean, we didn't notice the dated worktops. The showers were hot and free. The washing machine worked great on the site, however we were unlucky with the tumble dryer. One of the ones on the site is broken and the other one wasn't able to cope with our machine load of washing. After 80 minutes we gave up and dried the laundry in the van as we were heading off that day

The diner on the site was very good we had rolls and coffee in the morning and when we went back for another coffee later in the morning, while waiting for the tumble dryer, we were advised that they provide free fill ups of coffee and being as we had already been in we could have our second coffee free

We were surprised the site was quiet, it was the end of the Scottish School holidays. We would visit again but not do our laundry here.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: HappyCrows 4 reviews from this member

The most expensive site I have used in the whole country (United Kingdom) £21.50p for a small van and 1 person per night.

Half the fresh water taps are turned of at the stopcocks inside the cupboards, and located so awkwardly it is impossible to use them without getting oneself muddy or the the van potentially stuck, again for the price the chemical disposal was pathetic as well, merely a large toilet.

The EHU's are all on grass pitches, which was soft and boggy. The few hard standing pitches have no EHU's. When I asked the person taking the money, he replied I just needed a very long cable for hookup on hard standing.

When I booked in I was proudly offered free WiFi, which was rubbish, the signal only strong enough inside the cafe, this was not mentioned before I chose my pitch, when I needed to use it the cafe was locked up, as it also was when I went to buy laundry tokens.

I was also informed of several rules I must adhere too, even being told how to turn the toilet door handle.

The waste water dump was also located in a ridiculous position, very close to the end of a static caravan, I am sure larger van owners would find it impossible to use.

I have also heard this site will charge for 2 people if you have a two man tent with one person in it.

Comparing this site to many others I have used and paid half as much the facilities, pitches and service are hugely inadequate and way overpriced.

The owner/warden whatever he is customer service attitude was merely flippant and unhelpful.

£21.50p, please somebody justify this price for me? And before anyone suggests it, I badly needed the hookup for my batteries, and laundry though I'll look for a launderette next time.

Harbour car park for me next time, as Thurso is well worth a visit and a very handy stop over town. Friendly and helpful locals, lovely beach and a very well thought out walk up the river too.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Alaine graham 5 reviews from this member

Booked this site at last minute as another site had double booked us. Had read reviews and were open minded about what we would get. On arrival (WED) there were only 2 tourers on site and we thought oh dear not a good sign. However we were pleasantly surprised. A few more vans and tents joined us later in the day and on Thurs the site filled up with a martial arts get together. The toilet blocks took a beating with all the children on site but were cleaned up to a high standard by late morning.

There is a public path which runs along the edge of site leading into town. We didn't experience any nuisance from people using the path. There is a small play park ajacent to the site for kids to play in.

Beautiful views across the water and the orkney ferries can be seen toing and froing. Could also see water sports. Canooing in the water.

Toilet blocks were immaculately clean albeit a bit dated but as long as theyr clean it doesn't really matter. Lashings of hot water and even 4 clothes ropes for you to hang out your washing or wet gear.

This was the only site we visited out of 6 that gave a good FREE wi fi access. Reception gives you a code.

There is a DINER on site and the Diner food was good and the young girls there were very pleasant. It didn't sell alcohol but you could take in your own. There were also nice comfy sofas to sit and watch tv. Very American styley.

LIDL is directly across the road and handy for shopping needs. Tesco is 5 mins drive away and SCOTMID in town too. Shopping centre looked nice but was a huge let down. Nothing much there for the size of Thurso.

The owner needs to organise his pitch bookings a bit better as he seemed to spend a lot of time going around the site with his note pad seeing who was pitched where. This wee site is a goldmine with lots of potential. Would return and would reccomend it to others. Nice clean tidy site.

Only 20 mins from John O groats!

Previous     29 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Highlands   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers