Visitor Reviews - Thurso Bay Caravan & Camping Park

Smith Terrace
Scrabster Road
Thurso
Highlands   (Browse area)
KW14 7JY   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m   1m  1m  5m  5m   5m  1m

Pitches: 80 Touring Caravan & 50 Camping
Open: 31 March Through September

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bigyin247 15 reviews from this member

We were doing a tour of the north and what fantastic scenery. Be aware there is virtually nothing open in the north over the October school holidays, we had phoned ahead in the afternoon and this site was open and fairly busy.

When we arrived the site was in darkness, we saw some lights on in the cafe and I drove into the site to walk back up, only to be met with a gentlemen shouting at me. As I tried to explain that I hadn't driven 500mls + to upset him. It turned out he was the owner, not a pleasant chap nor that welcoming, shouting at me that I should have stopped and entered the cafe before parking. However, I hadn't parked up so I was a little less passionate about his customer care. The main issue was the area had been hit with rain making the grass soft and their was no hard standing, therefore 12 motor homes on it was going to get muddy! We grabbed some chips and settled down for the night.

Plus points - It was open (and doing a fair trade)

Bad Points -Road noise from the main Thurso shore road seems to be full of people with very noisy exhausts, right into the early hours.

- Facilities are clean, but tired, when you use the shower you are stepping out into the main toilet area to get dressed where there is a seat to get changed on, not very private and not the greatest when you have 2 small kids to shower.

Be aware though there is main walk area in front of the site (shore walk) so people can and do walk through the site so be aware of your security.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Annyvials 7 reviews from this member

We stayed here for one night. It poured with rain and was very windy all night (nothing to do with the site obviously)

The toilets were nice and clean when you eventually got in. You are given a code which you punch into the door lock thingy. Hubby found that very annoying especially when he got up in the night.

The view's nice and I would have liked to have used the cafe but from our van window in the pouring rain, it didn't appear to be open.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Davercox 9 reviews from this member

Like the last reviewer, we stayed only one night en route to Orkney. Agree with the points made in the last review. View across Thurso Bay is fantastic. One very slight carp: checking in (we had booked but didn't appear on his list) was laborious and slow, mainly while the owner explained several points as if to a 6-year-old. We have been caravanning for over 20 years, and really didn't need this waste of time.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Vanterrier 27 reviews from this member

Arrived in evening and was booked in efficiently by friendly staff. Given choice of pitches. Pitches with EHU were all grass but were mown short and tidy, site was on a slight slope so had to be careful driving off next morning on wet grass. Pitches were huge.

Toilet facilities were clean and had plenty hot water and good shower water pressure. Was very quiet when we stayed, with just a few motorhomes and a couple of tents.

Lidl across road was handy

Views across to Orkney (our destination next day) were fantastic and path along clifftop tidy and good for a dogwalk ( locals seemed to pick up their dog mess which is good) although I would imagine parents might need to keep a close eye on their kids as the cliffs are very high.

Overall I thought the site provided a good service and I would recommend it as a stopover before moving onto the Orkneys.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Bennies 2 reviews from this member

We stopped over for one night on our travels, we hadn't booked beforehand. When we arrived at reception, the staff were booking us in while another lady was trying to drive onto the site. She wasn't happy as ourselves and another van had stopped in the reception lane to book in and she was boxed in. There is an alternative road round the site and the staff pointed this out and continued booking us in. We felt the issue was dealt with good humouredly and sensibly by the staff.

The view from the site over to Thurso and the ocean is lovely and the view out of our van was a big concern of the staff when our pitch was selected.

The toilets and showers are very clean, we didn't notice the dated worktops. The showers were hot and free. The washing machine worked great on the site, however we were unlucky with the tumble dryer. One of the ones on the site is broken and the other one wasn't able to cope with our machine load of washing. After 80 minutes we gave up and dried the laundry in the van as we were heading off that day

The diner on the site was very good we had rolls and coffee in the morning and when we went back for another coffee later in the morning, while waiting for the tumble dryer, we were advised that they provide free fill ups of coffee and being as we had already been in we could have our second coffee free

We were surprised the site was quiet, it was the end of the Scottish School holidays. We would visit again but not do our laundry here.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: HappyCrows 4 reviews from this member

The most expensive site I have used in the whole country (United Kingdom) 21.50p for a small van and 1 person per night.

Half the fresh water taps are turned of at the stopcocks inside the cupboards, and located so awkwardly it is impossible to use them without getting oneself muddy or the the van potentially stuck, again for the price the chemical disposal was pathetic as well, merely a large toilet.

The EHU's are all on grass pitches, which was soft and boggy. The few hard standing pitches have no EHU's. When I asked the person taking the money, he replied I just needed a very long cable for hookup on hard standing.

When I booked in I was proudly offered free WiFi, which was rubbish, the signal only strong enough inside the cafe, this was not mentioned before I chose my pitch, when I needed to use it the cafe was locked up, as it also was when I went to buy laundry tokens.

I was also informed of several rules I must adhere too, even being told how to turn the toilet door handle.

The waste water dump was also located in a ridiculous position, very close to the end of a static caravan, I am sure larger van owners would find it impossible to use.

I have also heard this site will charge for 2 people if you have a two man tent with one person in it.

Comparing this site to many others I have used and paid half as much the facilities, pitches and service are hugely inadequate and way overpriced.

The owner/warden whatever he is customer service attitude was merely flippant and unhelpful.

21.50p, please somebody justify this price for me? And before anyone suggests it, I badly needed the hookup for my batteries, and laundry though I'll look for a launderette next time.

Harbour car park for me next time, as Thurso is well worth a visit and a very handy stop over town. Friendly and helpful locals, lovely beach and a very well thought out walk up the river too.

Previous     30 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Highlands   -   Search for a site

Win Tickets to the March Volksworld Show in Surrey Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Spring Motorhome & Caravan Show 21/03 to 23/03
Major outdoor show for day visitors, weekend campers, and trade stands at Newark Showground