Visitor Reviews - Thurso Bay Caravan & Camping Park

Smith Terrace
Scrabster Road
Thurso
Highlands   (Browse area)
KW14 7JY   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m   1m  1m  5m  5m   5m  1m

Pitches: 80 Touring Caravan & 50 Camping
Open: 31 March Through September

Reviews:  35 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!
£100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win £100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Sibrig 8 reviews from this member

Stayed in mid-April for an overnight stop before getting the early morning Orkney ferry. Heavy rain meant that many pitches were badly waterlogged. Not an unusual occurrence, but I wonder how much effort has been put into improving drainage. I was advised which pitches were least affected and chose accordingly from the 4 offered. Despite the site having a few scruffy-looking hard standings these were not offered to me, presumably because I had booked and paid for EHU and - amazingly - the hardstandings had no hook-ups. The leaflet I was given on arrival contained the site's Rules. These are written in a very officious manner, and give little comfort to anyone unfortunate enough to get bogged down and stuck on their sodden grass - 'Staff are not responsible or liable for extracting customer vehicles from any difficulties. '

The Rules also told me that 'Recycling is mandatory. Recycling bins are located in the chemical waste disposal room. ' Except that they weren't. I could find no recycling bins anywhere on the site, just a sign on the wall of the chemical disposal saying 'glass', and no-one to ask after the cafe/reception closed for the day. Despite also being instructed to 'Put litter in the marked refuse bins' and told that 'Littering will not be tolerated' I was also unable to find a litter bin on site after the cafe had closed.

The toilet and shower facilities were somewhat utilitarian, and shower cubicle gives no space for changing. They had however been kept clean and tidy - they should be, as according to the site leaflet they are closed for an astonishing 3 hours every day (2 hours in the morning and 1 in the evening). This is the longest time I have encountered in my camping experience of over 70 different sites, and it isn't a big toilet block!

On a more positive note, the site is convenient for the Scrabster ferry, has a good outlook over the bay, is located on the coastal path with a pleasant walk to Scrabster in one direction and Thurso centre and river in the other. However in future I will do as I have done on previous visits to the area - drive a bit further down the road to the Club site at Dunnet Bay.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Graham Haddow 6 reviews from this member

On way to Orkney and wanted stop off before the ferry the next day. Very convenient for the ferry so ideal in that sense but not my type of site for a holiday. In saying that it over looks Thurso Bay and is a nice open site. Toilet/shower facilities are a bit 'public toiletish' but clean and spacious. Good walk path for the dog but on the edge of cliffs, so be careful. Good beach for a walk. There was a bit of confusion when checking in and although I had booked on-line they had no record of it and was told it is a common occurrence. I also realised I had clicked on requiring electricity at an additional £3. 50 only to find out it was included in any case. OK for the ferry, but personally would go for a holiday

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mogs70 12 reviews from this member

Overnight stop en route to Orkney. Very handy for the Scrabster to Stromness ferry. Arrived after heavy downpour. Were advised which pitches were free and left to park. Just stopped on first available, on grass which had already been churned up a little. Later noticed there are now hardstands at the toilet block side of the site, however we got off the grass ok in the morning.

Facilities as others have stated, toilet block rather tired but clean and adequate. Café not open on our visit.

Weigh Inn a short walk, towards Scrabster, didn't eat there but has real ale and a pleasant enough place. Walked into the town, which is in the opposite direction. Bit more run down than the last time we were here. Everywhere very quiet, but it was Sunday. Pleasant walk back along the sea front.

Good location, handy for local facilities and the port, nice views.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Vv59 1 review from this member

We just stopped for one night ( the weather wasn't too good). The site is on the edge of town with a Lidl supermarket across the road. The Proprietor is very strict trying to save his pitches from excessive wear, but that makes it better for all of us. The facilities all worked well and were lovely and clean, but the evening meal a bit 'disorganised', but the town centre is only 400 yards away with other restaurants available.

We enjoyed a walk along the promenade in the evening and the sea views.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Tiggerdav 8 reviews from this member

We used this as a stop over whilst touring Scotland it was a nice site in good weather unfortunately, the weather had not been to good and the grass pitches where boggy, there is a shop just across the road, although it is a main road we did not find it noisy, the toilets and showers where clean an tidy, there is a cafe on site although whilst we where there it was not open, when we arrived the warden was cutting the grass, but was very helpful and told us that it had not long been taken over.

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bigyin247 18 reviews from this member

We were doing a tour of the north and what fantastic scenery. Be aware there is virtually nothing open in the north over the October school holidays, we had phoned ahead in the afternoon and this site was open and fairly busy.

When we arrived the site was in darkness, we saw some lights on in the cafe and I drove into the site to walk back up, only to be met with a gentlemen shouting at me. As I tried to explain that I hadn't driven 500mls + to upset him. It turned out he was the owner, not a pleasant chap nor that welcoming, shouting at me that I should have stopped and entered the cafe before parking. However, I hadn't parked up so I was a little less passionate about his customer care. The main issue was the area had been hit with rain making the grass soft and their was no hard standing, therefore 12 motor homes on it was going to get muddy! We grabbed some chips and settled down for the night.

Plus points - It was open (and doing a fair trade)

Bad Points -Road noise from the main Thurso shore road seems to be full of people with very noisy exhausts, right into the early hours.

- Facilities are clean, but tired, when you use the shower you are stepping out into the main toilet area to get dressed where there is a seat to get changed on, not very private and not the greatest when you have 2 small kids to shower.

Be aware though there is main walk area in front of the site (shore walk) so people can and do walk through the site so be aware of your security.

Previous     35 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Highlands   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box worth £225! Win a Coolbox Cool ‘n’ Store Package worth over £235!

UKCS Meet Summer Motorhome & Caravan Show 9 - 11th June