Visitor Reviews - Scoutscroft Holiday Centre

Scoutscroft Holiday Centre
St Abbs Road
Coldingham
Berwickshire   (Browse area)
TD14 5NB   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  1m  5m  5m  5m   5m  10m

Open: March To November

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale  Glamping

Reviews:  23 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Wildvoice 6 reviews from this member

Stayed on this site for 2 nights (Friday Saturday) the site was very quiet and we could select our own pitch. The site is located just outside a small village which has 2 pubs a spar and an antique shop, the beach is also close to the site about a ten minute walk and have to say is very clean. The site is well kept and the locals who we met in the bar were very friendly. The only down side was that the shower room was cold so it was a case of in and out within a flash other wise overall a pleasant trip.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Daffodil41 48 reviews from this member

This site was on the edge of a lovely village with 2 pubs, one did very good food, we could not eat there was booked solid for the two evenings we were there, but it looked lovely and a mini market.

We caught the bus into Eyemouth from the village and watched the seals in the harbour.

The site has a bar that did bar food and a restaurant (we did not use has was closed for a wedding)

There was also a fish and chip shop, but no general shop so a walk into village for papers and morning rolls.

The toilet block was clean and had plenty of hot water the first day but had a cold shower the second day not sure what happened.

We walked to the sea from the site took us a good half hour legs not what they were but it was worth it and the walk was on a lovely footpath.

Cafe on the beach for a coffee (witnessed a wedding on the beach with piper very romantic) There is also a pub over looking the sea not sure if they did food.

Loved the site and its locality to some nice walks.

Date of Visit: October 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Splodger 8 reviews from this member

You will see that I previously submitted a review of Scoutscroft in 2010. Albeit I gave the site an average assessment, the locality drew me back and I pitched my caravan there all season 2011. My overall opinion of the site has not changed dramatically but I did enjoy staying there and will be doing so again this season.

However, I can now give some more opinion of other aspects of the site and area.

The pitches are big, mostly level but desperately lack a mains water supply. I believe there is no intention to change this in the foreseeable future.

Creels Restaurant on the site offers good value, tasty meals in pleasant surroundings. The on-site chippy was excellent early in the season but declined by the end. Two fish in your supper reduced to only one and the taste and quality became poor too. Do not be tempted to try Mackays in Eyemouth for a fish supper. Awful!

Scoutscroft staff continue to be helpful and courteous.

Locally, there is now a nice gallery in Coldingham and the New Inn is highly recommended for dinner, although does not match Creels for value.

The Indian restaurant in Eyemouth serves some interesting and unique dishes.

If you are a golfer, you must play a round at Eyemouth. A stunningly located links course with an amazing 6th hole played over the ocean!

Berwick Upon Tweed is a nice town with all the shops you could hope for (Marks & Spencer Food, Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, Co-op, WH Smith, B&Q, Halfords, etc). As I said in my last review, the Cannon chippy is the best.

The winner in this area is Coldingham Bay. Lovely sands, a surfers paradise and a reasonable little cafe (when it can be bothered to open!).

To conclude, Scoutscroft has retained my business for another season but only due to its locality. I still believe it could do so much better but, as I thoroughly enjoyed last season, I have given it an additional star in this review.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: MILLIE11 1 review from this member

Just returned from a wonderful weeks holiday at Scoutscoft. We were not supposed to be there but a hitch in our holiday plans meant that we spent time here and I am very glad we did.

All staff on site are very friendly and very helpful. Touring pitches are electric hook up only, but that did not deter us. Our pitch was huge and the kids had plenty of room to play.

An aerial is provided for the TV and you have to pay a 10 deposit.

Toilet block was accessed via a key which you pay a 10 deposit for. Showers were clean and plenty of hot water.

Coldingham Bay Beach was about 10 minutes walk down a lovely lane, scenic from the start to the end, where the dogs are also welcome. Beach was beautiful!

On site there is a chip shop, (fab place to eat), Scooties Bar, an arcade and soft play area for the kids and a bar/lounge for adults/kids. There is also Creels Restaurant. Can't comment on any of the food apart from the chip shop, but spoke to others who said it was lovely.

The kids loved the entertainment at night, quizzes, kids Bingo, and for the adults, Bingo, quizzes, karaoke, race nights, etc, but the children are all welcome as it is a family lounge area.

We had a brilliant time, kids loved it to. Would recommend it to anyone.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: J Lambert 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from a weekend at this beautiful site. Grounds well kept. Toilets / showers clean. Short walk to Coldingham which has a Spar shop and a few pubs / restaurant.

Short walk to lovely beach. 5 minutes drive to Eyemouth. The entertainment lounge was great. Kids played at the Tarzan swing for ages.

There is a games room/amusements for kids. TV cable supplied for Digital TV. Also a restaurant and cafe and takeaway chippie on site but we didn't use any of these so cannot comment. Can't wait to go back.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Splodger 8 reviews from this member

Having just returned to caravanning after several years break, we have been attempting to get around as many sites as possible with the intention of finding one we would like to use as a seasonal.

This is a reasonable site but could do better.

It's major appeal to me was its location. It sits at the edge of the lovely town of Coldingham. From the campsite there is a short 5 minute walk to beautiful Coldingham Bay where dogs are allowed. A 5 minute drive around the bay, or a 15 minute walk, also takes you to the equally beautiful St Abbs then there is also the other option of a 10 minute drive to Eyemouth with a nice beach and harbour area where you can feed seals from the harbourside.

This is an area which I was not aware of but would highly recommend to anyone who appreciates beauty, quaintness and dog & child friendliness.

However, with all that attraction around it, I believe Scoutscroft could just do that extra bit to make this a site worthy of its locale. I'm not saying it's a bad site but, if I compare it to the other sites I've recently visited, then it falls short.

Although the site is generally clean, there are still areas for improvement. For example, the grass needed cut and in the week we were there nobody tended to any of the grass or flower beds on the site. Compare that to The Gart and Yellowcraig where it was constant maintenance.

Pitch sizes were good but there were no fully serviced pitches although there is the provision of an extended aerial lead as the analogue TV signal is poor & you can only get a digital signal via the supplied aerial lead. On a positive note, I reported to the reception desk that our aerial appeared not to be working and within minutes there was someone in attendance who rectified the problem.

The 'all important' toilet block could have been better, especially the water pressure. The washhand basins provided a dribble of water and the showers were not much better. The mirrors at the washhand basins were situated at waist height (I'm 6') due to the position of the windows above. This made shaving a ridiculous exercise as I had to stoop to the extreme to use the mirror.

I was sure I had read on the site that there was a strict 'no noise' policy after 11pm, however, on one of the 2 occasions I visited the pub area, I found it to be very noisy with one guy blowing away on a Vuvuzela (the infamous South Africa World Cup 2010 horn) at 11.30pm.

Locally for entertainment/eating, I'd recommend the cafe at St Abbs harbour although someone told us that the B&B across the road from the cafe serves lovely food, Churches restaurant in Eyemouth and The Cannon, Castlegate, Berwick Upon Tweed which does the finest fish supper in the world.

In conclusion, fantastic area but average caravan site BUT it would not deter us from returning.

Previous     23 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Berwickshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!