Visitor Reviews - Polruan Holidays Camping & Caravanning

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (East) > Site Reviews

Polruan Holidays Camping & Caravanning
Polruan By Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall (East)   (Browse area)
PL23 1QH   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  5m  10m  1m  10m   5m

Open: 1st April - 1st October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  84 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sueiow 3 reviews from this member

Probably the most immaculate site I have ever visited, it is spotless a real credit to the owners.

Free hot showers, washing up facilities, a free library and information room, a decent shop, friendly owners and although no dog walk on site a quick trip over the road and your into fields where they can be let off lead.

Polruan is charming but very very steep you will know about it when you walk back to the site unless you are very fit.

The local bus will pick you up outside the site to take you to Polperro or Looe very reasonable fares too and the bus driver is a great guy.

The only downside is that the back of the campsite backs on to the only road in and out of Polruan so can be a little noisy first thing in the morning and late at night, but I think that's because we were in a trailer tent and I'm a light sleeper not anyone's fault just something to bear in mind when under canvas.

Some people have said there are lots of rules yes there are but it ensures decent behaviour and respect and a nice atmosphere.

We would stay again just away from the back hedge lol

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Diabolo 7 reviews from this member

I can only echo the comments of the previous reviewers. This site is fantastic and other campsite owners should take note. There are NO shabby breezeblock loos. NO dirty sinks and 20p payment showers. NO rude unfriendly owners. NO yobbos shouting and yelling.

Pitches are spacious and some are a little sloping but not unreasonably so.

Polruan and Fowey are delightful little ports but very much at the end of the major roads, it takes a long time to get anywhere and the roads are very narrow indeed. The ferry from Bodinnick to Fpwey is fast and efficient and cuts off a long drive. I very much enjoyed using the passenger ferry between Polruan and Fowey and we also took a boat trip to Mevagissey from Fowey.

The hills make this an unsuitable location for the infirm or those with small children. However the views make up for the aching legs!

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Adrian Sheridan 5 reviews from this member

Stayed for 4 nights at Polruan and wished we'd stayed for more. Not a part of Cornwall I'd visited before and it's really great. I stayed with my partner and we found this a well spaced out site. Excellent value and really good facilities. Pitches are well spaced out and the site has a really friendly feel. The recycling is clearly marked out and shows the owners commitment to making a site as 'green' as possible. A slightly sloping pitch (the site is at the cliff top) was not a problem. Tent easily put up and secured for a mighty storm, shelter from the nearby hedge worked well.

A ten minute walk to Polruan, we went to the Lugger Inn by the quayside, great beer and really fresh seafood. I had 'whale' and chips one night and as it was so good we went back for the mussels. The 20 minute walk back up the hill is quite severe and this maybe wouldn't be a site for children as there are limited play areas and that walk back would cause a few moans.

If you are using this site as a base to get around Cornwall it is at the end of the road and our activities were a bit thwarted due to the roads (single track) back to civilisation. That considered it takes 30 minutes to get to the nearest town unless you're using the car ferry at Fowey. That's my lack of planning as the Coastal path and Polruan/Fowey are really stunning and this is a fantastic place to mess around on boats and have a great hike followed by some great food.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Chriscable 34 reviews from this member

Great little site. Easy walk down into village where there are couple of shops and pubs but it is a much harder walk back up. Also you can catch ferry to Fowey ( and take dogs on board) which is a super small town with loads of nice eating places and a fab local baker. Our motorhome was just below their max allowed length and with the narrow lanes leading in I can see why they have such a limit. Very very clean and well kept facilities block although shower cubicles are very small (no cat swinging ) and they are a little old. Owners very friendly and very helpful. A site I would return to.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Clarkellp 6 reviews from this member

A fabulous site in a wonderful area! The site is quiet, peaceful and very well laid out. The facilities are well-organised, spotlessly clean and beautifully presented throughout. Fabulous views, a well-stocked shop and comprehensive information about the local area all added to the experience. The owners obviously take considerable pride in their site and they were helpful and welcoming. We were sorry that we could only stay one night and would definitely recommend it.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lizziehenden 1 review from this member

The location of this campsite is idyllic- esp for access to the coastpath. The sea view is beautiful and the campsite is very pretty and well looked after. The access to Polruan and Fowey is easy, just 10 minutes down the road. The showers and toilets were clean. My only gripe would be the poor shower pressure but lovely and hot! I also hate having to pay for hairdryers and there were no plugs to use your own. There are loads of little added extras too including a shared fridge, microwave and ice block loan. What is nice is as a camper you feel equal to the caravanners whereas sometimes you feel like you're a second rate guest in your tent! This wasn't the case here. The shop is also very well stocked, although I would have liked to have seen more local produce rather than just 'Happy Shopper' goods. A fruit and veg van does come round though once a day in the morning- great touch! The campsite is family run and the family are always round about so you get to know them. My only complaint would be that the campsite prides itself on being 'quiet and tranquil' but unfortunately this ended for us on the Saturday when a large, noisy group arrived. We did complain but nothing was done and we spoke with other campers who were also upset that the group lacked consideration for their fellow campers. I should think this was a one off but for us really spoilt the whole weekend. I would recommend to the campsite a 'warden wander' to keep an eye on such occurrences and just to politely check on people- this was the case in a campsite near Weymouth I stayed in and everyone loved the warden and respected him. My advice would be as well to ask to stay in the field NOT next to the play area if you don't have kids and you aren't a fan of the noise they make. We were having a BBQ and two lads were playing catch and a few times the ball flew over the windbreak and nearly caused havoc. Also, parents tended to shout from tents (on one side of the field) to kids in the play park, across all the other tents. Spoiling again the peace and quiet for the rest of us, but I noted the middle field was very peaceful. We would definitely return as hopefully that group WAS a one off and the location is great with so much to do close by. I would maybe complain more than once if we were presented with the same situation again regarding the noise and encourage my fellow campers to complain rather than us all being rather British and just getting mad-passively aggressively!

Previous     84 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (East)   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers