Visitor Reviews - Bodwrog

Bodwrog
Llanbedrog
Abersoch
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL53 7RE   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  20 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Njseedhouse 2 reviews from this member

We have visited this site on a number of occasions and it is perfect! Definitely my favourite - the views are amazing and the shower and toilet blocks are always clean and available - they are checked regularly.

The site is quiet and well kept but some of the pitches are on a slight slope on the camping field however, this does not detract from the delight of the place. The owner is friendly and helpful and the office is frequently open.

At present the shower block is under renovation so the showers are in a mobile unit but they are luxury! The price is very reasonable too.

There is a nice pub close by called the ship where good food is available and the glyn-y-wyddow at the bottom of the hill is great there is a londis there too.

The Llyn peninsula is stunning and the climb to the tin man is well worth it for the views!and the gallery cafe/tea rooms do beautiful cake and has an art gallery.

Llanbedrog beach is great for families and there is a lovely cafe / restaurant there too. Abersoch itself is too busy for me (Zinc bar is nice)although I do like to watch the boats on Abersoch beach but if you like views or riding then Cilan Head is the place to go and Hells mouth is a must for those surfers amongst you!

I will definitely continue to visit this site and would highly recommend it!

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Coastwalker 16 reviews from this member

I agree with previous reviews.

The site is off a pretty rough but well signposted drive and the reception is next to the farmhouse. A very pleasant and obliging owner.

The camping field is through the touring van site and is divided into three strips, all of which are on a slope which is a bit steep for some pitches. The grass is well kept and the views over Pwllheli to the mountains is great, though the field can catch the wind.

The new toilet/shower block is half built, but in the meantime the 'portable cabin' type hired toilets and showers are clean and in good condition. The large washing-up sinks are outside, but have hot water.

No complaints; basic camping but all I wanted.

I was a bit surprised that it wasn't busier on the kids' holidays.

There are some lovely beaches in the area, but for some of the footpaths inland you need wellies and a brushcutter.

Pwllheli has proper shops and a large Asda and Co-op; the marina is worth a look. Abersoch, on the other side has a great beach and the town/quay are quaint and crowded in season. The Lleyn peninsula has some lovely places off the beaten track.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tracys tent 1 review from this member

We have just returned from Bodwrog and despite the weather being pretty grim we had a great time. It was our first visit to this site and the views were beautiful, the temporary shower block and toilets were spotless.

The owner seemed friendly and the prices charged were even friendlier. It is close to the beach and two pubs, we didn't actually try the Ship pub but the other one is lovely and serves very nice meals.

The only thing we didn't like was the washing up area, which is outdoors and as we didn't have good weather we had to wash up in the wind and rain.

The electric hook up is limited so you need to book early. We will be going back next year though and are really looking forward to it.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Camperman69 11 reviews from this member

A beautiful, simple campsite with an amazing view. A couple of caravan fields and a large tent field. We pitched in the tent field for the amazing views and used an EHU through the hedge in the caravan field, as offered by the helpful owner-it was very quiet when we stayed, possibly as it was colder than Christmas Day the day we arrived! Loos and showers are portable type, there seems to be a new shower/loo block being built. A fantastic panorama of sea, Snowdonia and over the Llyn. In common with quite a few sites round here, probably could get quite windy-not a problem on our stay. Facilities spotless. There are footpaths into Llanbedrog with its lovely sheltered beach, walks round Mynydd Tir y Cwmwd, &2 good pubs. The Ship inn does really good bar food at a reasonable price. (Walk to the Ship in 20 mins, 10 mins on campsite lane, rest on a fairly busy lane without a footpath). All in all, fantastic, hope to be back soon!

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: B20pjg 3 reviews from this member

Recently visited the site for a couple of days. Despite booking and arriving at 19:45 we were a bit surprised that no one was around which left us a bit unsure where to pitch. In the event we pitched in the dark on a gravel caravan hard standing which was a bit uncomfortable.

Early next morning having found the electric tent pitch we moved to the bottom of the tent field out of the wind.

Very pleasant owner and excellent value. Lots of hot water to both the toilet and washing up sinks.

Didn't use the showers as it was a short stay. First rate shop at Londis in Llanbedrog, and as Asda in Pwllheli.

Good site but watch the top of the tent field if it's going to be windy.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Juliebsellars 1 review from this member

I've just come home from four nights at Bodwrog.

I have to say the views were stunning. It was a bit windy, but worth it for the views.

I found the price of this camp site very reasonable. The facilities were basic but VERY clean. One of the cleanest I've ever stayed at. (And while I don't mind 'roughing it' cleanliness of facilities is very important to me).

There were two fields. One for caravans and another for tents/ camper vans. Not a huge site, and not too busy considering it was a bank holiday weekend. It had a relaxed atmosphere, kids played around the site (not too loud but allowed to play), some radios/ music could be heard but all within reasonable volume.

The toilet/shower block were not beautiful, but very clean. The showers were 50p. Expensive for a shower (from my experience of camping), but when you consider the camp site is about 10 a night cheaper than it's competitors I feel it was good value for money. Also, this may be silly, but I liked the shower trays, because they managed to keep most of the water in the shower and they drained well. My only suggestion would be to have more hooks for hanging towels in the toilet stalls in the shower block and maybe some more counterspace/shelves to put toiletries on.

Of the four mornings, there was one morning that I woke up late and only showered at 10. 30am. The shower was only luke-warm on that day. On all the other days I showered before 9. 30am and the shower was always hot. Both my husband and I found that the shower unit on the left (in both male and female) lasted longer.

On the outside of the shower block is the washing up area. Again, was well maintained and clean.

There is another male and female toilets closer to the second field. In the female toilets there was another 4/5 loos, 3/4 sinks and a socket for plugging in a hair dryer. Also very clean.

The reception area has a freezer for re-freezing ice packs. Also, on the weekend I was there I had wanted an electric hook-up but was unable to have one as all the tented pitches with hook-ups were booked. The warden/ site owner allowed me to charge my laptop. He was very helpful and accommodating.

The area around Bodwrog has two pubs. The Ship Inn was very busy and so we didn't try it. That's only a short walk away but on busy country so head-torch would be helpful at night. There is a chemist a shop and another pub nearby. The Weddw Arms pub was great especially for families as it has a great kid's play area, covered outdoor seating and it serves reasonably good food. We frequented Abersoch and Pwllheli mostly, but only found Llanbedrog beach on our last night.

We will definitely be visiting again just to spend more time there. The beach is really lovely with a bistro and toilet facilities (I didn't try either of these). There is a gallery that has a nice cafe as well if you follow Llanbedrog beach signs.

Overall the camp site was great, though basic and the area was really worth visiting.

Previous     20 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!

2026 Visitors online !