Visitor Reviews - Aberfeldy Caravan Park

Aberfeldy Caravan Park
Dunkeld Road
Aberfeldy
Perthshire   (Browse area)
PH15 2AQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01887 820662

1m  1m  1m  10m  1m  1m  1m   1m  1m

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Reviewer: Ryanben 1 review from this member

This campsite was amazing. Kids really loved the park as we were pitched right next to it. The toilets were clean and tidy and the staff was lovely. It was really enjoyable. I would defo recommend it to anyone. We met some lovely people. I don't really have any criticisms, just maybe a bit noisy on night times with traffic.

The owner was always there if you had any problems and he would sort them straight away. There is loads of places to walk to down by the river, aberfeldy town, and there's plenty places to eat.

Claire Thompson

Newcastle

Reviewer: Naepace 3 reviews from this member

This was the only week off work I had during the school holidays and had promised the kids I'd take them camping. Unfortunately this was the week after the heatwave, this resulted in a 2 night stay becoming 1 due to the rain.

The site itself is in a fantastic location, right on the banks of the river. Although the main road runs across the top of the site I can't say I noticed any road noise. What we did hear was the 'industrial yard' next door which did detract from an otherwise idyllic location. Of course there is nothing the site can do about that unfortunately.

Others have commented about the first speed bump and after hours rowdiness. We didn't experience a problem with either. I have driven over far worse speed bumps and it was well 'highlighted' with yellow road markings. As for noise at night there was none, however this was a Wednesday night and wouldn't necessarily include the potentially rowdier weekenders. Having said that I have yet to stay on a site where there wasn't some group making a racket into the early hours (biggest downside of camping in my opinion) not always young groups either, often it's families where the parents are 'enjoying a drink' and letting their kids run riot.

I digress ! The shower/toilet block next to the reception building is a PIN entry and although we were only in them once in the evening they were immaculately clean. The portaloo cabin toilets at the bottom of the site where not as pristine, they were not filthy by any means but had that public toilet smell about them. No doubt the heat that day would not help.

There is a small play park consisting of swings, chute, climbing frame and couple of pieces of small apparatus. My 2 had no complaints and happily played away for hours. We spent most of the time on the river which is accessed from a path from the site that takes you along the banks between the river and golf course. There were kids swimming under the bridge further upstream in a deeper area. My 2 were happy paddling and pottering about on the expansive areas of pebbled 'beach'.

Aberfeldy is great and only 5 mins along the road. Here you can access a cinema, swimming pool, numerous shops (incl large Co-op), pubs, restaurants and take-aways. Numerous walks of varying degrees of intensity are within easy reach, including the Munro Schiehallion.

This site was very good value compared to others I've stayed in. For myself, 2 kids & EHU we were 19 a night. A special mention for Dave the warden who was fantastic, especially with the kids who want to return just so they can see Dave again ! He insisted on cutting the grass before we pitched the tent as help it was too long, I was embarrassed as it was considerably shorter and in better condition than the lawn I had left behind (which I though was quite good !) He also facilitated a refund on the second night due to the weather.

I would thoroughly recommend this site.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Feebeast 1 review from this member

We chose this site for our first 'test camp' after acquiring a tent (primarily for a festival later in the year). This was based on Aberfeldy not being too far from home.

I grew up on caravan holidays (initially in a 10' Thomson Glen, no leccy, no loo, and no awning, to fit 3 of us and a Doberman lol) - so I've seen a few camp sites in my time, but I'm new to tents.

This site was very nice. Kept really tidy, with clean loos, showers & dishwashing facilities. Friendly wardens & fellow campers - especially our neighbour who kindly jump started my car after I ran the battery down (open doors = internal lights(!)and yes, phones do use that much battery(!)- oops).

There was a wee bit noise on the Fri night. But isn't it about socializing??? I was woken by gulls/ crows/ magpies at daybreak! Earplugs sorted that issue though ;) Saturday night was a quieter affair (apart from the birds lol).

My only gripe is that the reception don't offer an ice pack freezing facility (going back my Thomson Glen days here). I'm not sure if this facility is less common, due to the sophistication of camping these days, but it's still handy for those in tents who have no EHU - which is the majority of the tent pitches here. Not to worry - I now plan to buy a EHU. And a new (better) tent. Think I've been bitten by the camping bug!

Speaking of which, were no bugs when we were on this site - surprising considering the proximity to the river (we took a stroll down in the evening, and it was pleasantly midge free).

Its a nice 10 minute stroll into the town, where there is a selection of eateries, pubs, & wee independent shops. Also a great ice - cream shop. There's a cinema too.

We spent 2 lazy/ relaxing nights here, and I would not hesitate in returning.

I can't comment on the water logging issue, as we had a glorious weekend hitting 23 degrees, even managed to get a wee tan - result!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Wynnie69 4 reviews from this member

Lovely site, wardens were good and friendly,

Site was great when the sun shone but the minute the rain came our awning was totally water logged, so bad in fact we couldn't use it as we had to wade in and out of the van, I have written a letter to the council to see if they can upgrade the drainage in this part of the park,

Found the showers a bit of a joke, no shower curtain so everything gets soaked during the whole ten seconds the water comes out before you have to press the button again for more water. Toilets were lovely and clean though,

The speed bump just after reception is a total joke, we nearly lost the bottom off our car, it's far too high,

Small park for kids to play in, grass areas were well kept as was all the areas,

Only thing that put us off was the resident caravanner who thought he should police the site himself, thought that was the official wardens job, he even went as far as checking round our caravan to see what we were up to, it was nipped in the bud at the start but would put us off going back

Aberfeldy a lovely little place loads of eating places and open spaces, friendly shops and plenty places to buy supplies, , , ,

Date of Visit: September 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Draigalban 4 reviews from this member

The campsite setting and facilities are fantastic, but the site was let down by rowdiness and no enforcement of the 10pm curfew.

Pitches are well-defined, generous, level and without lumps and bumps. Slabbed areas are provided for barbecues.

The facilities are good. At first sight it seemed there may be too few showers for the size of site, but I had no problem accessing the facilities despite the campsite being close to capacity. There is a small children's play area that will keep the kids occupied.

The location is close to the centre of Aberfeldy. There are plenty of grocery shops, takeaways, restaurants and bars within close walking distance. The location next to the river Tay is also good, with riverside walks through the adjacent golf course.

Campsite was midge-free in September.

The campsite is well lit - possible to much so.

The thing that let down this site for me was the rowdiness running through until the early hours of the morning. On booking in, a slip advised us that no 'un-reasonable' noise would be tolerated after 10pm, and if necessary the Police would be called to eject non-compliant people. On that basis we geared our day to get our kids and ourselves settled by 10pm. It was pretty quiet at that time, but as the pubs emptied the campsite became noisier and noisier with loud, drunken, talk peppered with a lot of swearing.

A vehicle toured the campsite some time between 11pm and midnight, at which time the noise temporarily quietened - I can only imagine it was a warden visiting on a final tour. After that vehicle departed the chatter resumed

For the owners / operators I would offer this feedback

1) Make the curfew explicit - people's perception of what is 'reasonable noise' will vary, especially after consumption of alcohol! Wording such as 'no noise after 10pm' or perhaps 11pm would be more appropriate.

2) Turn out the lights shortly after curfew - this signals the curfew is in force, discourages noisy outdoor gatherings, and makes for a better sleep environment

3) Enforce the curfew. A 1-hour tour of duty by a warden could have addressed the few noise-makers and would make camping at this site a far more pleasant experience for the majority of your clients.

In summary: Great site, in a fantastic location. Shame about the night-time noise levels. I have marked-down value for money and customer service on this basis.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Debsy 101 reviews from this member

This site is run by the Council - there was a notice saying it was full for tents - this was up the whole time we were there for our two nights - there were many spaces both nights for tents. Hmmm, councils are supposed to be trying to generate income in these cash strapped times -I work for one.

Anyway the wardens were nice and helpful and the site is near the town - there are a few restaurants and pubs - we went to the chippy which was fine. Quite a few shops have closed down. The toilets - well there are loads of them and the showers are nice and hot but yes you do have to keep pressing the button but the ladies did last more than four seconds and I just kept pressing it back in before it stopped! My main gripe was that the pitches were ridiculously close together - but hey squeeze em in and get the income in! Joking aside I would not want to spend my holiday that near to the next unit. No ball games so the sign said but it seemed to be ok to play quoits etc.

The site is right next to the river and we detected bats on both nights. There's a children's play area and when the toilets are closed (for one and a half hours) there are really clean portaloos to use but no other showers.

Previous     28 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Perthshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!