Visitor Reviews - Riverside Caravan Park

Riverside Caravan Park
Hornshole Bridge
Hawick
Borders   (Browse area)
TD9 8SY   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  22 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Tickle53 1 review from this member

Hi, I just spent two nights at the park. On entering the park it is very well kept. Billy the groundsman is run off his feet and he's a credit to the park.

But although the parking spots and approaches are fantastic.

Afraid the toilet block although pretty new has a few downfalls

1. They are not cleaned on a regular basis and 1 of the toilets was dirty for the 2 nights.

2. There is no where to put you cloths whilst you shower.

3. This is the main point because of the main road it is very noisy as the road is frequently used through the night by large wagons, so the noise drones through the park. You cannot get far enough away to stop this as the static touring caravans occupy the riverside part.

Think these problems could be easily rectified by having more staff on hand.

The noise problem could be addressed by erecting a fence roadside

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: KnitKnutter 4 reviews from this member

I had been really looking forward to coming to this site, and it's superpitches. But it was a huge disappointment. The site is sandwiched between the river (lovely) and the very busy, noisy road. It wasn't as close to Hawick as I'd remembered when I booked it, and the road isn't one that you can walk alongside.

The services (tap, hookup) are at the front of each pitch and shared between two units. We had battery/motor mover problems so couldn't turn around to be able to reach the tap. Even a long hose extension would have struggled. So we didn't get the value of the superpitch, apart from the waste. Free wifi was provided, but on looking at this open network, my data network engineer husband wouldn't touch it. Your data is not secure. There was a bit of 3G anyway.

The pitches themselves are quite small. It fitted our van + car, but with no space for the awning. If we'd put the awning up, there would be nowhere for the car. Others seemed to be parking across the front of their vans, but if we'd done that, we'd have blocked the exit. Each was hard standing, made of slate chippings which seemed to walk into the van everytime.

The toilet block was fine, although it only has a long ramp entrance, and could do with a set of steps at the other end. The ladies showers had a hook on the back of the door and plenty of hot water. It all seemed clean enough to me, but wasn't at all busy.

Proximity to the river meant we were visited by beautiful duck, who slept under one of the seasonal caravans which edge the riverside.

I found a nice walk up to Cavers Church (cross the busy road and up the hill), and another riverside one (through the campsite to Hornshole Bridge and turn right), but you can't walk into Hawick as the road is far to busy. And noisy. Really noisy. Did I say that already?

Because of the location and the lack of the services we had paid for, plus being underwhelmed by Hawick, we left 2 days early. We did visit Kelso, and wish we'd found a site nearer there - a lovely town.

Hawick itself is in desperate need of regeneration. The high street is awash with empty shops and To Let signs, and not a particularly pleasant place to visit. And if you want cashmere, save your pennies. I went into the Johnstons factory shop and the cheapest item was a pair of gloves or socks for 30. A sweater is in the region of 200.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Campers inc 1 review from this member

We have just spent two night at riverside touring park at Hawick it's a lovely site with a new shower block but I'm afraid that the lack of mops, shelves, stools, hooks for your clothes let it down plus the water pressure stops the taps from turning off in the sinks also a flush hose at the elsan would help.

TV points at the bollard were a hit or a miss.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Blueboy2 9 reviews from this member

We stayed on this site over the bank holiday weekend for 3 nights. It is a small site next to the river. All the pitches next to the river seem to be taken by seasonal tourers. Each of the pitch sites are fully serviced and hard standing. They are quite small and if like us you have an awning there is very little room for your car. The service stack is at the front of the pitch, which meant that we had to turn the caravan around so that we could use this. Thank heavens for the motor mover. The toilet block and shower are new. If you use the shower it is difficult not to get your clothes wet as there is limited space to put them. There were quite a few tents on the small grassed area. There was obviously increased use of the toilet block. The floors got really dirty, there was no soap in the dispensers and the hand drier didn't work in the ladies. I did complain to the warden. The toilet block wasn't cleaned enough or replenished enough for the amount of people staying at the site. The chemical toilet disposal had no hose to clean out our toilet unit so we had to carry water to the point to do this. The main road is very close to the site and it does get busy in the mornings so no chance of a lie in. This site needs to up its game.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Templogin 3 reviews from this member

An excellent site that seems to cater well for all types from tents all the way up to static units and everything between. Even the tent area has EHUs available, not that I had the required cable.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Suffering the effects of cycling too far too fast I needed to stay a second night, and this was no problem as there was only two other tents in that area.

The shower and toilet areas were kept immaculate, and there was plenty of hot water. I was so pleased to find a laundry on site and be able to wash and dry my wet kit.

Hawick is a couple of miles away and has everything that you are likely to need, including a decent sized supermarket. The road surface into Hawick is truly shocking, although you are only likely to notice it if you are on a pushbike without suspension.

Sadly I didn't enjoy my stay, and it had nothing to do with the site itself. The road past the site has a few tight bends on it and this seems to attract all the boy racers on their motorbikes and in their cars, with their loud pipes. You can put up with it in the day time, but when it is still going on at 4am it becomes very tiresome. The greenery between the tent pitches and the road seems to do little to deaden the sound. Such a shame as it really is a top notch site.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shamoose 1 review from this member

My husband and I have just returned home from this lovely wee campsite. On arrival I went into reception and was welcomed by a nice young lassie, very pleasant and cheerful, she gave me directions and explained where to pitch up so off I went. On locating my pitch( I was told to pitch anywhere on the tent site) we decided to pitch near the trees by the kids play park. It took us some time to get the tent pegs in due to hitting roots from the trees constantly! Quite stressful having never camped before! But we managed. We decided to go for a walk along the river with our wee dog which was nice and peaceful but slippery which was not great for my husband as he has very poor vision due to another health condition. The dog seemed to enjoy it. When we got back to the tent we decided to have a look at the toilet block. Totally beautiful it was, obviously brand spanking new, there are 2 shower cubicles in the ladies toilet, only complaint there was, was that the shower curtain could have done with a hot wash and when in the shower the tray kept overflowing but nothing too serious. We decided against using the laundry facilities as it was 3 to wash clothes and 2 to tumble dry. Unfortunately there was no iron or board. They also have outdoor facilities for washing dishes There are 2 sinks, a basin and a draining tray, small but does the job. Also in the ladies toilet there are 4 sockets opposite the shower cubicles for hair dryers etc.

On our second day we needed to freeze our ice packs and I asked the girl at the reception if she had the facilities to do this she said no but she was more than happy to pop them in there freezer, I offered to pay for this but was told no. This is maybe another service they could charge for maybe 10 p and ice pack. All the staff seemed to be really friendly which was nice. On the day we arrived they were getting CCTV installed. We left our tent several times wide open for 1 -2 hours and everything was fine althought we were the only people camping at the time apart from a cyclist in a one man tent. But the staff are very observant so no problems with theft. All in all a great wee place.

We are however reluctant to go back to this site due to the busy road right beside the tent pitches it kept us up most nights hearing lorries and tractors and car and motorbikes, so we are exhausted and glad to be home. Also it's a bit of a tricky park to leave if your heading I to hawick a site kind of on a bend and pretty damn scary pulling out when there is traffic driving towards you at 60 miles an hour. I think we would be more likely going to the sister site next time round. But like I said no other complaints as it's a lovely wee park with lovely staff.

Previous     22 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Borders   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 120 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 500!
Open Today's Window