Visitor Reviews - Thurston Manor

Thurston Manor Leisure Park
Innerwick
Dunbar
Lothian   (Browse area)
EH42 1SA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

10m  10m  10m

Pitches: 80 + statics
Open: 8th February 2013 - 3rd January 2014

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  37 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jack_igm 30 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 3 nights as a stop over when returning home from the Netherlands. Site was easy to access however we arrived later than expected at 19:30 and when I went to check in at Reception I was told they were closed and I could find my designated pitch outside. I found the receptionist to be quite rude and abrupt with no information but luckily a nice security fellow took us to where our pitch was.

We were assigned pitch 67 which was a good pitch but was very exposed as it was quite windy during our stay. We never suffered any damaged but several tents near us suffered quite a bit of damage and it was a nightmare getting our awning down, but wind is to be expected at Scottish sites especially ones near to the coast

The site was advertising snacks from the bar after 9pm and having arrived late decided this would be a quick option although when we went to eat were told that they did not have any snacks even though they had a big sign outside the bar.

Went to the shop in the morning to get some food for breakfast but they were quite low on stock so only managed to get some bacon and Eggs.

Swimming pool was small but adequate but I was surprised when we had to pay to access it, although it was under 8 for 5 of us so not a big deal.

The only thing I really did not like was that nearly every caravan and tent had a dog with them and whilst I like dogs was nervous having young kids there as many of the dogs were Bull terriers, but luckily they were well controlled by their owners.

Shower block being locked was a pain with a 10 key deposit. There were showers in the main toilet block but these were quite small and not big enough to wash kids in but the 2nd shower block with the key deposit has some huge family shower rooms.

Would totally agree with some of the other comments about the entertainment centre being like a working mans club. We did not really enjoy this site and I really can't put my finger on it. Maybe it was due to the abrupt attitude when we tried to check in or maybe we just had a bad experience, but don't think we would come back here which is a real shame as this site probably has some potential.

There is a good sized Asda just down the A1 towards Dunbar.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Breger 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a weekend break here with 2 other adults and a child. Check in was painless and wardens pleasant and efficient. Only downside - I found out later - was that after paying 5 for shower key, I could not access the shower block. Seemingly you have to pay another 5 for this. All very confusing as showers in men's toilets are free (and you don't need a key to get in!). Although the pitches were slightly cramped (it was very busy) there was enough room for the MH, car and awning on a grass pitch. Amenities on site were good. Playpark for kids - excellent, bar/lounge area offered excellent choice of food and very tasty too at a reasonable price. My only comment is that some guests who had obviously decided to stay in the bar area all day were getting a bit spicy with their language during early evening and absolutely not suitable for kids to be hearing that. Pool area was fine but small and although kids were not supposed to be in jacuzzi there were 6 in it when I was there. Parents obviously decided to ignore the signs! All-in-all a decent weekend but if I'm honest not really my type of site. Maybe I prefer a slightly quieter few days away from the tattooed masses.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Trinny37 1 review from this member

We (me hubby and Two kids) took our camplet to this campsite in the Beginning of May and had a fantastic time. They have a great play park that is visible from most tent pitches that the kids loved.

Toilet blocks were always clean and the newer block behind the main toilets were fantastic with communal family showers which is great when you have young kids.

The leisure facilities are great. We used the swimming and although small was clean and kept the kids happy. Night time disco was a big hit and the DJ (Daryle) was excellent with the children. We ate in the pub and it was good pub grub at a decent price. The shop was also good value which was surprising as I feel most campsite shops charge over the odds.

All in all a great weekend away and we will return.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cazzcull 3 reviews from this member

Been reading previous reviews and don't entirely agree with them, I have been to this site 4 times now and would recommend it to anyone with young children.

The play park is ideal and easily seen from any of the tent pitches, staff helpful and the club was suitable for its purpose, I don't know why people are saying its dated and needs painting.

Booked to go back next week.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Leebo 6 reviews from this member

First time we have been to thurston manor site. Men's toilets/showers are small & could do with updating & a lick of paint. Only 3 toilets & showers.

Club house is like a working men's club, could do with a good revamp.

The wardens seemed to be riding around in a transit van checking on van locations & who had awnings up etc. Why can't they walk around the site instead of in an annoying diesel transit van! The roads are right outside your caravan so it's most annoying!

Hard standings have no grass next to them, it's all gravel for caravan & awning. So we never bothered with awning. Got a refund on that.

Site shop is good, has all the basics. Pool is small but ok.

I saw big dogs like alsation size roaming about on the park, not acceptable really, just lazy owners letting there responsibilities go elsewhere.

Site is good for golfers quite a few good courses in surrounding areas, so transport is essential.

The weather wasn't too bad, had rain during the night but daytime was fine.

Tv reception is good, no problems in tuning our tv in.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Millet 25 reviews from this member

Easy to find and easy, efficient check in rather than friendly.

Booked a super pitch on this site and glad we did.

Water pipes seemed quite far for other campers and ground was not always flat. Super pitches had gravel standing, good for the rain that came this week.

Ladies toilets were clean, shower was free. Key for access to toilets required 5 deposit and key for ladies was dodgy sometimes turning round in lock for ages.

The key system seemed over the top, as it is unlikely that people other than those camping would be using the facilities.

The cost of the pool should be included in the site fee, kids didn't use it as they were not allowed in bubble pool. But for adults each activity added extra cost.

Bar area prices were good.

Disapointed that 5 tickets each were required for the turn on Saturday night, therefore we declined to watch.

Wardens were often to be seen during the evening time

Overall the site was okay but I'd expect more for a 5 star rating. I'd give it a 3.

Nearby area is quite although there is a large supermarket less than 4 miles from the site. Local village has no shop or pub but is a nice walk.

Far enough from the A1 so no road noise, would not visit again though

Previous     37 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Lothian   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 14/10 to 19/10 NEC Birmingham
Back at the NEC Birmingham this autumn - we have 20 pairs of tickets up for grabs