Visitor Reviews - West Runton Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Norfolk > Site Reviews

West Runton Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Holgate Lane
West Runton
Cromer
Norfolk   (Browse area)
NR27 9NW   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m   1m

Open: 31 Mar - 06 Nov

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  115 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Rexxie 28 reviews from this member

Lovely countryside setting accessed by a longish narrow track/road. Site much bigger than expected - after being surrounded by trees once on site it is a lovely open area. Nice short walk on a country track in to East Runton 15 mins - has shops/ pubs and Greek restaurant - after crossing very busy road easy access to the beach. You can walk along the beach to West Runton and on to Sherringham. There is an inland walk back to the site or there is a local bus service. Also walking track to Cromer.

Reception rather officious - a warden leading us to our designed hardstanding but did not witness any of the over enthusiasm re rules mentioned in a few previous reviews. Reception has a small shop with essentials - milk, sausages, icecreams etc.

Toilet blocks clean - didn't use the showers this time - preferred using own facilities. Only 1 sink in the Ladies toilet area with soap and hand towels - lots of vanity cubicles with sinks in an other area but not much use for hand washing if no soap - which high season I guess it means many do not wash hands after using toilets! Plenty of sinks for dishwashing. No recycling facilities - have to take off site.

Lovely playarea and designated ball game area for children of which there were many - was school holidays! So not a tranquil site in school holidays as difficult to escape noise of children enjoying playing and cycling around -- how dare they! So lesson learnt there for grumpy retirees - guess it would be different again out of season. In season families should love it.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Smudger_smith 1 review from this member

First I would like to say that we have been coming to this site for over 15 years - the location and amenities are fab - always look forward to coming most years but sadly that has now come to an end. We always book out of season as we don't have school age kids now so June is perfect for us, - this year we had our worst ever experience with camping in over 30 years - there was so many nit picking rules that I won't bore you all with them but please don't think we are difficult people or moany etc - we just want peace and quiet and to relax for a couple of weeks.

The first niggle we had was when we were shown to our pitch, told exactly where to park then after about 45mins of us putting up the awning etc one of the wardens told us our awning was bigger than he thought and he made us move it 11 inches! I really kid you not, he actually measured it out! Now I know all about fire safety and the required distance between units etc etc but there were no units next to us at all, the nearest one being within shouting distance.

We also suffered with the wind break saga mentioned in another post - again we have put these up in the past no problem as we have dogs that may bark at people walking past, so the wind breaks stop them seeing people, but now for some reason you are not allowed - another niggle was the un-helpful wardens when my sister came for a few days and they wanted to put her away from us when I expressly informed them when I booked it for all of us that she was a single female doing her first ever camp and we wanted her near to us - when they took my money that was fine but when she came they wanted her to camp near the toilet block away from us - another telling off came our way when one of the little dogs slipped his tether and went to my sisters tent where he was spotted by a warden who told us off for letting him off the lead. My husband said it was like being a child who's getting told off all the time!

This is only a few of the rule brakes that we apparently committed but it gives you the general gist of things! Gone is the care free, helpful and polite staff they used to have who's goal was to let you have a lovely relaxing holiday. Its a real shame as this was one of our favourite sites

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jimhynd 3 reviews from this member

Great site. Reasonable priced. Bit of a slope on grass pitches but level on hard standing. Showers etc were to a high standard. Easy walk over hill to golf club and hotel and inn on the green for great food. One gripe was the drive way down very tight and uneven but only used when going in and leaving.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sanshingler 1 review from this member

Booked a 3 night stay, our first time camping. Couldn't fault it. Very friendly helpful staff lovely site surrounded by trees with lots of walks. Very quite at night all in all a great 3 nights away. Would visit again.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dobboanddobbo 7 reviews from this member

Just back from a week at this gorgeous campsite. We have stayed in a few in the area and this is definitely the best so far.

As others have mentioned the access road is narrow and bumpy but fine if you take your time. We were greeted by really friendly staff and asked to park in a queue and then shown to a pitch. We were asked if we had an preference and were easily accomodated despite the park being very busy.

Our pitch was on quite a big slope but we were comfortable with that as we chose that position on the park. We were on the edge of the site with the woodlands behind which was perfect for walking the dog.

The site has 2 large, clean and heated shower/toilet blocks including a really soacious family shower room which was a great help with us having 2 little ones with us. That room also included a baby bath as well as the shower having a constant flow rather than push button which is a little detail but helps a great deal when trying to sort little kids out. I used the washing machine 3. 50 and dryer 2, clothes actually came out clean which is a first for us when using on site machines!

Great little playpark and plenty of space for kids to run around. V small shop which we only used for ice creams/sweets. There is lots of wildlife there as the site is surrounded by woodland and we saw deers and rabbits. The site is extremely quiet on an evening and no road noise at all.

Fantastic woodland walks straight off site where you can walk dogs off the lead. There is a golf club within walking distance serving decent meals and a pub with a great beer garden a little further in west runton. You can walk from there to the beach however it may be too far to walk with v young children.

Fantastic location for getting to Cromer, Sheringham, Wells, Blakeney etc.

Can't wait to visit again!

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Mark n Kim 2 reviews from this member

'Site was in a great location with the shower blocks kept very clean. Cannot fault the site itself or the way it is kept

However, after an initial warm welcome, the next couple of encounters with the wardens left me wishing I had gone somewhere else.

On my second night I was erecting a wind break on the grass behind my van to shelter my planned BBQ only to be sharply told that this was not allowed, I must keep all my outfit within the confines of the hard-standing. Something I was not told on arrival. When I tried to reason with the chap, its for one night and its just a wind break, it was met with an emphatic NO.

Bearing in mind the site was fairly quiet I found this a little perplexing. I understand there needs to be rules and to be honest that's not this issue, it was the general attitude that bothered me and that manner I was spoken to.

After seeing notices around site offer late departures, I followed the instructions and on the Sunday morning, went to the office before the allotted time to request we leave at 2pm. Again the attitude of the wardens was frosty to say the least. Problems with the lane was given as the initial reason for a flat NO. When I challenge this with 'why offer late departures on the notices' after a 'humph' they checked the number of arrivals. 8 were due in. 8!. I was 'granted' permission under duress.

At 1. 30 we decided to leave and thought it responsible to ask whether the 2 gust booked for a 1pm arrival had in fact arrived. Again more 'why are you bothering us' attitude. In the end my partner walked to the end of the lane and called when the coast was clear and was ready to advise any arrivals that I was in the process of driving up the lane. Just a bit of common sense and all was well.

Overall I would say lovely site shame about the staff. I for one will not be visiting again. '

Previous     115 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Norfolk   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more