Visitor Reviews - Blackmore Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Worcestershire > Site Reviews

Blackmore Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Hanley Swan
Worcestershire   (Browse area)
WR8 0EE   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  5m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  96 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sceptical Camper 28 reviews from this member

This year, I've camped at several Camping & Caravanning Club (C&CC) sites, my most recent stay being two nights at C&CC Blackmore near Great Malvern, Worcestershire.

The location is very good - the campsite lies in a wooded area southeast of Great Malvern and, for active campers, it is a good base for walking the Malvern Hills. The campsite is well signposted on adjacent roads and is easy to find. Road access is excellent for cars, motorhomes and towed caravans.

There were a lot of touring caravans and motorhomes on the campsite during my stay but very few tents. This impression is borne out by a quick flick through these UKCS review pages.

Reception is staffed for an hour or so during morning and evening arrival and departure times. Upon arrival, you book in then you will be escorted to your allocated pitch. One car per pitch can be parked beside your tent. The usual C&CC noise curfew at night makes this a quiet campsite. A barrier system controls access and the wardens live on site near reception.

I found booking-in swift and efficient but not as friendly as some other C&CC sites I've stayed at this year. If you are not a member of C&CC, the site is quite expensive but charges are very reasonable for members.

Very neat asphalt-surfaced roads connect all parts of the site: it is divided into several areas by these roadways and by trees and hedges. The site has a woodland feel and is well-sheltered. Most of the site is level although a few areas are on a gentle slope. The grass is short and the soil takes tent pegs easily. Electric hook-up (EHU) is available on most pitches.

There are two large-ish facilities blocks. Both are purpose-built units and are fitted out and maintained to the highest standard. There are adequate loos and showers and these are very modern and everything is kept spotlessly clean.

Around the site there are adequate drinking water stands and fire points. There is also a neatly-kept a play area for children between the facilities blocks.

The site admits dogs (although there weren't many dogs there during my stay) and has a dedicated footpath to walk dogs. However, I did not feel the site was genuinely dog-friendly - a neighbour's dog barked a bit one morning and the warden soon appeared and told the owner in no uncertain terms to silence the dog or leave. In fact, the warden was so rude that he later came over and apologised for his attitude. This incident was not a good advert for Blackmore - nor indeed for the C&CC - and it marred the last morning of my stay.

In summary, this is a very well-situated campsite maintained to a very high standard but it has a rather regimented feel - to me Blackmore seemed to lack friendly informality. Also, the site seemed much more geared to motorhomes and caravans than to tents.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: BodgerKENT 1 review from this member

This site is a pleasure to use, with everything spick and span and the toilet blocks and facilities exceptionally clean. The staff are very helpful and a pleasure to meet, the welcome when we arrived was as if we were long lost friends and a cheery wave when we left.

Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable, we will certainly be visiting again soon.

Jim, Jennifer (711775) and the flying rugs

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Janine1947 29 reviews from this member

Friendly welcome. We were shown to our pitch after the warden asked if we wanted good TV reception, (some areas have poor reception). Large flat grass and hard handing pitches well laid out with areas of grass and landscaping. Two immaculate amenities blocks with toilet, showers, washing up, laundry and chemical disposal all under cover. A large community rom is available in one of the blocks. Extensive dog walk around the perimeter of the site.

Hourly bus service to Worcester, Malvern and the surrounding areas is outside the site and timetables provided in reception. (Upton on Severn is well worth a visit) Hanley Swan a very pretty small village has a shop/post office butcher and pub/restaurant half an hour walk along a flat Tarmac path. A fish and chip van visited three times a week whilst we were there but this may not be available in winter months.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Andypye 8 reviews from this member

Great site. Really friendly welcome from nice, accommodating staff.

Facilities block was of usual C&CC Club standard with a good dish wash area too.

Nice area, the local village is gorgeous as is Malvern.

There is a nice chip van that visits site some evenings. Try it!

We did visit during Easter but even though the site appeared full, we never felt crowded in the slightest.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Mr_jibbles 8 reviews from this member

Easy site to find, near the stunning Malverns.

Efficient check in. Nice to be shown to the pitch rather than just given a map however the guidance on manoeuvring onto the pitch left us parked diagonally and with the caravan door opening onto a large puddle. We sorted ourselves out once he'd gone.

Pitch sizes vary a lot. Choose carefully as some are unpleasantly jammed in when it is busy but some still have plenty of space around them.

Site is edged by a narrow area of woodland which is great for the kids to explore and for a dog stroll but just note it is not 'extensive'.

Didn't use the shop so can't comment on that.

Small play area with swings & toddler swings and slide.

Showers are lovely & hot, plenty of them so no queue except at peak times on a bank holiday weekend. Facilities blocks could be checked more often in between times to keep them looking tidy and clean. Used to find staff checking them.

Great Malvern is lovely and we were lucky enough to go whilst the food fair was on. Yummy!

The walk to British camp is great and the views from the top are stunning. Very helpful people in tourist information can give any guidance on walking routes etc.

Now for our grumble. We did not feel the wardens were very child friendly. We have been here a number of times over the past few years but the lack of family friendly welcome on our latest visit leaves us a little discouraged.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dk168 21 reviews from this member

I stayed at Blackmore for an extended long weekend over Easter.

I requested a jumbo pitch with EHU as I preferred to have a bit more space, not being on my own with the dog for a change.

I was offered to choose my own pitch out of a choice of 3 by the helpful staff, and chose Pitch 133, which had a bit of shade that I thought would be advantages as I am not a sun worshipper. However, the weather was not all that great during my stay, with some cloudy, windy and wet weather, mixed with the occasional sunny periods. And I wished I was not in the shade when the sun was out, as I felt quite cold being in the shade.

The site was very well-appointed and the staff very helpful as expected from a C&CC club site. It has two excellent facilities block, and the one closest to my pitch had a large recreation room attached to it, equipped with a pool table, a number of benches and seats, and what appeared to be comfy armchairs and a sofa. The room was a welcomed alternative than sitting inside one's unit when the weather was not favourable outside.

Plenty of hot water for showers and dish-washing. Although the showers are the usual push-button variety, ladies, the shower roses are detachable from the walls and can be hand-held via flexible hoses!

There were not many youngsters about during my stay, however, the outdoor playing equipment and the field nearby for ball games appeared to keep them entertained.

A mobile chippy comes every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and was very popular, as the site was next door to a Caravan Club's site. It can be found in the playing field just outside the site that also serves as an overflow car park for both sites. Be prepared to wait for a long time though, it took us nearly an hour to get our food, and there were only about 10-12 people waiting in front of us when we joined the queue! However, the beer-battered haddocks and chips we had were very tasty, and portion size very generous, definitely good value for money, providing one is prepared to wait!

The site is close to Malvern and the famous Malvern Hills. The town itself is quite quaint with some interesting places to visit.

We went exploring in Malvern and the Malvern Hills, and went further afield and visited Eastnor Castle (relatively expensive for what it was worth) and the Brockhampton Estate.

There are a number of walks at the Brockhampton Estate of varying lengths, however, there was no indication of level of fitness required and difficulties for any of them, except they could be steep and muddy in places, and appropriate footwear should be worn etc. Be warned, they are far from 'pram walks' and gentle strolls except perhaps for the shortest 'Heart' walk, and it took me nearly 3 hours to complete the 'Orange' walk that is about 2. 5miles. I did feel rather proud of myself afterwards, as it was quite steep, muddy and slippery in places.

Be warned about potential power outage, as we experienced during our stay. The site was busy over Easter, with nearly every EHU pitches occupied (plenty of non-EHU pitches left though). During the second night of our trip, being Easter Friday, the night time temperature dropped quite significantly, and it put a strain on the electricity supply when those with EHU started to turn on their heaters to keep warm, resulting in the entire site losing its power on three separate occasions. The staff went round the site asking anyone who was still awake to turn their heaters down to a lower setting to preserve power after the first outage.

All in all, a pleasant stay and I have found another site that I would gladly return within 2 hours' drive from home.

Previous     96 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Worcestershire   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers