Visitor Reviews - Hurst View (solent View) Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > New Forest & Hampshire > Site Reviews

Hurst View (solent View) Camping
New Forest
Lower Pennington Lane
Lymington
Hampshire   (Browse area)
SO41 8AL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  1m  5m  1m  1m  5m   5m  5m  5m  1m

Open: All Year

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  135 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Markp1999 2 reviews from this member

I stayed on this site for a single night, midweek in September so was quite surprised to find was fairly busy with camper vans and caravans, though few tents so there was plenty of room in the camping fields (away from the facilities) to camp with lots of space.

I was camping on my own having walked down from Brokenhurst Station and I was really after some peace and quiet so (given the mixed reviews here) I had some misgivings and sure enough as I pitched my tent there was music and dogs barking, but by the time night fell all the noise had stopped and the only noise on the site was the birds and cows in the adjacent nature reserve.

The toilet and shower facilities were clean and not busy and there was a snack bar but that was closed during my visit.

I arrived after reception had closed, so didn't meet any staff until I came to pay the next day, but then I found them to be extremely friendly and helpful. The lady I spoke to gave me directions and advice on the best way to get to Lymington Station (a lovely walk around the sea wall through the nature reserve) and the charges were very very reasonable for one man and a tent.

All-in-all I was happy with my stay. Based on other reviews I think I might look elsewhere on busy weekends in summer, but out of season it was a good place to stay and I would happily return.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Manucci 1 review from this member

I've spent three nights here and had a good time owners very helpful as had problems with our caravan, staff very friendly nice family feel to the site, ten mins stroll to sea very good fishing, close to pubs and restaurants, toilets and showers very clean, lovely view of Isle of White, will definitely be coming back.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Camper van girl 2 reviews from this member

We stayed at this campsite for 2 nights on our way back from the Isle of Wight. We had not booked and so when we arrived the man at reception was very helpful and the price for the nights was £25 each and so decided to stay as had seen the reviews on this page. We did look round first, had have I am not sure we would have stayed.

We were told me could park up were we liked and you literally can, there are no designated pitches. All of the electric pitch are the first field, which is where all of the facilities are too. We managed to find one electric pitch but on looking around at the neighbours we would be having decided to go to the next field. This pitch was further from the facilities including the only water supply but a lot quieter.

The toilet block and shower block was always clean when we went, never had to wait as plenty of them. The site is within easy walking distance to local pub for Dinner and also cycle/paths to walk to see the solent. One day we cycled to Hurst Castle which is well worth a visit. It is amazing inside and cost £11 I think for the 3 of us to go in.

The campsite is the most cover in small campfire marks as the site allows them and sells kindling for them, this is a novel thing to do whilst camping but once you have a few neighbours that have them the air can fill with smoke and it is not nice.

So of the children when we stayed hung around in groups and rode their bikes fast up and down the gravel drive skidding and this could be intimidating for some. There was a warden that I saw who was friendly but didn't seem to stop it.

I have written this review how I saw the campsite as I visit this website for honest reviews on where to camp.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Spaceypyke 1 review from this member

We took our almost 10 month old son camping for the 1st time and it was fantastic! The campsite was great, plenty of space to pitch up even when it got extremely busy at the weekend. The toilet blocks were always acceptable when I used them, the shower rooms too but need a ledge or shelf to put dry things on as there are just a couple of hooks. Handy snack bar serving tea, coffee, burgers, bacon, sausages made it perfect if we didn't fancy doing breakfast or dinner. We only used it on the morning we left and packed up to go home so we didn't have to dirty our cutlery again. The campsite issue you with a map of the local area which was great too. We did a lot of walking, the map is as accurate as a drawn map can be but we did get confused as some areas it seemed like we were walking for ages and couldn't quite work out whether we'd took a wrong turn. Also not all the roads are on there. The pubs named on the map are lovely however there are other pubs too. We tried out the food for lunch in 2 the chequers and the May flower and both were delicious. There is a lido behind the mayflower pub that you wouldn't know was there. It's got inflatables for the kids to jump on, lifeguards everywhere, baby paddling pool, tables and chairs, sun loungers for hire, ice cream and chips etc available, showers, toilets and changing rooms. All that for £2. 50 per adult! It was very hot on our visit so we really enjoyed cooling down in the salt water lido, so much so we returned the next day, .

There really is something for all ages at this resort, bike riding, walking, beach, parks to play ball or picnic, outdoor pool, pubs with restaurants, shopping on the town centre high street, hurst castle, Paultons amusement park (peppa pig land) a short drive out nearer Southampton.

We got a flat battery on our car and the campsite were only too happy to come and get us going again. They have a convenience hut/shop that sells things you may have forgotten and ice too. It's a lot cheaper if you go to one of the supermarkets off the campsite though.

Reception staff helpful and sold cold drinks, ice creams and logs.

The only thing that let it down (not for us as our son was too young to go on it) was the campsites play area. Our friends said that it needed some very necessary maintenance and would not let there 3 yr old play on it.

We did not need to worry about our son who is crawling and putting things in his mouth. The grass was safe for him to do so, I didn't have to pull anything out of his mouth other than the grass! Our friends son was running around with no shoes on most of the time and he did not get a scratch.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jenna700 1 review from this member

We had a great time, unfortunately there are a few things that let this campsite down -

- The children's play area (when I was searching for a campsite, having a play area and allowing campfires were the top of my list)

It was very run down, bits of tarpaulin? (I'm guessing that's what it was) on the ground was a trip hazard, the slide was filthy (obviously I don't expect them to be spotless, but at least clean enough to actually slide down). Needless to say, my daughter didn't use any of it.

- The shop (which is not owned by the campsite) and breakfast bar weren't open the whole time we were there - maybe because we were there on a weekday?? But the receptionist said it usually is open but they'd lost the key to the shop, therefore could be opened.

The Solent view - there's not actually a view from your tent as such which I was expecting, but it's a short walk up the path to see it.

Although these points are negative, there are many positives too -

- campfires allowed, fantastic! So many place now do not allow it and it's a real shame. You can buy logs from reception which are only £5, I feel very reasonable.

- the toilets and showers were always clean! Showers verrrry powerful.

- surrounded in nature reserves, very nice walking (I'm not usually a walker), good place to crab and amazing views of the Isle of Wight.

- very peaceful

- handy map on arrival

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Suz1971 2 reviews from this member

Ditto OBs Mum comments, it's a hard site to review as everyone's tastes are different.

I like the site as it suits all my needs being only an hour from home. I particularly like the relaxed approach Hurst View have to camping like the open fires, allowing dogs and large groups. So many sites are restrictive. I guess this is one of those sites to keep in your back pocket if you are camping in a group and taking dogs. Please keep your dog's on leads though as so many weren't. Keep an eye on your kids on the play park too as there were a few mishaps and parents were nowhere to be found. A two year old wandered into our tent area who'd lost his mummy! On a site this size common sense prevails!

Previous     135 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Hampshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers