Visitor Reviews - Hurst View (solent View) Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > New Forest & Hampshire > Site Reviews

Hurst View (solent View) Camping
New Forest
Lower Pennington Lane
Lymington
Hampshire   (Browse area)
SO41 8AL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m   1m  1m  5m  1m  1m  5m   5m  5m  5m  1m

Open: All Year

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  133 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Camper van girl 2 reviews from this member

We stayed at this campsite for 2 nights on our way back from the Isle of Wight. We had not booked and so when we arrived the man at reception was very helpful and the price for the nights was 25 each and so decided to stay as had seen the reviews on this page. We did look round first, had have I am not sure we would have stayed.

We were told me could park up were we liked and you literally can, there are no designated pitches. All of the electric pitch are the first field, which is where all of the facilities are too. We managed to find one electric pitch but on looking around at the neighbours we would be having decided to go to the next field. This pitch was further from the facilities including the only water supply but a lot quieter.

The toilet block and shower block was always clean when we went, never had to wait as plenty of them. The site is within easy walking distance to local pub for Dinner and also cycle/paths to walk to see the solent. One day we cycled to Hurst Castle which is well worth a visit. It is amazing inside and cost 11 I think for the 3 of us to go in.

The campsite is the most cover in small campfire marks as the site allows them and sells kindling for them, this is a novel thing to do whilst camping but once you have a few neighbours that have them the air can fill with smoke and it is not nice.

So of the children when we stayed hung around in groups and rode their bikes fast up and down the gravel drive skidding and this could be intimidating for some. There was a warden that I saw who was friendly but didn't seem to stop it.

I have written this review how I saw the campsite as I visit this website for honest reviews on where to camp.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Spaceypyke 1 review from this member

We took our almost 10 month old son camping for the 1st time and it was fantastic! The campsite was great, plenty of space to pitch up even when it got extremely busy at the weekend. The toilet blocks were always acceptable when I used them, the shower rooms too but need a ledge or shelf to put dry things on as there are just a couple of hooks. Handy snack bar serving tea, coffee, burgers, bacon, sausages made it perfect if we didn't fancy doing breakfast or dinner. We only used it on the morning we left and packed up to go home so we didn't have to dirty our cutlery again. The campsite issue you with a map of the local area which was great too. We did a lot of walking, the map is as accurate as a drawn map can be but we did get confused as some areas it seemed like we were walking for ages and couldn't quite work out whether we'd took a wrong turn. Also not all the roads are on there. The pubs named on the map are lovely however there are other pubs too. We tried out the food for lunch in 2 the chequers and the May flower and both were delicious. There is a lido behind the mayflower pub that you wouldn't know was there. It's got inflatables for the kids to jump on, lifeguards everywhere, baby paddling pool, tables and chairs, sun loungers for hire, ice cream and chips etc available, showers, toilets and changing rooms. All that for 2. 50 per adult! It was very hot on our visit so we really enjoyed cooling down in the salt water lido, so much so we returned the next day, .

There really is something for all ages at this resort, bike riding, walking, beach, parks to play ball or picnic, outdoor pool, pubs with restaurants, shopping on the town centre high street, hurst castle, Paultons amusement park (peppa pig land) a short drive out nearer Southampton.

We got a flat battery on our car and the campsite were only too happy to come and get us going again. They have a convenience hut/shop that sells things you may have forgotten and ice too. It's a lot cheaper if you go to one of the supermarkets off the campsite though.

Reception staff helpful and sold cold drinks, ice creams and logs.

The only thing that let it down (not for us as our son was too young to go on it) was the campsites play area. Our friends said that it needed some very necessary maintenance and would not let there 3 yr old play on it.

We did not need to worry about our son who is crawling and putting things in his mouth. The grass was safe for him to do so, I didn't have to pull anything out of his mouth other than the grass! Our friends son was running around with no shoes on most of the time and he did not get a scratch.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jenna700 1 review from this member

We had a great time, unfortunately there are a few things that let this campsite down -

- The children's play area (when I was searching for a campsite, having a play area and allowing campfires were the top of my list)

It was very run down, bits of tarpaulin? (I'm guessing that's what it was) on the ground was a trip hazard, the slide was filthy (obviously I don't expect them to be spotless, but at least clean enough to actually slide down). Needless to say, my daughter didn't use any of it.

- The shop (which is not owned by the campsite) and breakfast bar weren't open the whole time we were there - maybe because we were there on a weekday?? But the receptionist said it usually is open but they'd lost the key to the shop, therefore could be opened.

The Solent view - there's not actually a view from your tent as such which I was expecting, but it's a short walk up the path to see it.

Although these points are negative, there are many positives too -

- campfires allowed, fantastic! So many place now do not allow it and it's a real shame. You can buy logs from reception which are only 5, I feel very reasonable.

- the toilets and showers were always clean! Showers verrrry powerful.

- surrounded in nature reserves, very nice walking (I'm not usually a walker), good place to crab and amazing views of the Isle of Wight.

- very peaceful

- handy map on arrival

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Suz1971 2 reviews from this member

Ditto OBs Mum comments, it's a hard site to review as everyone's tastes are different.

I like the site as it suits all my needs being only an hour from home. I particularly like the relaxed approach Hurst View have to camping like the open fires, allowing dogs and large groups. So many sites are restrictive. I guess this is one of those sites to keep in your back pocket if you are camping in a group and taking dogs. Please keep your dog's on leads though as so many weren't. Keep an eye on your kids on the play park too as there were a few mishaps and parents were nowhere to be found. A two year old wandered into our tent area who'd lost his mummy! On a site this size common sense prevails!

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: OBs Mum 1 review from this member

This campsite is a difficult one to review. Some things it does well, some things not so well and being unable to please all the people all the time it's bound to rub some people up the wrong way.

Things I liked:

1. Everyone met who worked there -

- the man in the shop who sent me away with the things I'd forgotten (washing up stuff *smh*!) even though I didn't have nearly enough cash. - I did return to settle up!

- The ladies at reception who charged my phone for me after our car broke down.

2. The proximity to the coast.

3. The birdsong.

4. The free showers.

I think they could do some things better. It's not that they do them badly but if they did them a bit better the site would be fab.

There are four washing up sinks. I think they could do with more.

The toilet/showers could do with another couple of rounds of cleaning throughout the day. When the cleaner's just been in they are great.

Drinking water needs to be better signposted.

Really large groups could do with being away from the smaller groups/families - there's plenty of room to do that.

They could do with being better at enforcing their own rules. There's a sheet with them on and staff are visible on site 'patrolling' but I saw a few (not loads - don't panic!) dogs wandering round off leads and noise was a bit of a factor on the first night of our stay. I did see the staff having words with someone who was driving too fast so they are keeping an eye out!

The site has a snack bar which does brekkie stuff in morning and burgers etc in the evening. It does what it says on the tin, cooked fresh and good value (I think it might not be open during the week).

The little shop is surprisingly good, doesn't look much from the outside but has lots of bits. They do bike hire.

Reception is good, useful info, drinks, sweets and slush puppies.

Play area is one for slightly older kids 7+.

The site is close to Lymington (I'd say take the bike or the car though). It's about 10mins walk to the sea wall which is great for walking/cycling along - you'll get a map at checkin.

Don't be put off by the reviewer who mentioned the landfill site. It is (or was) there but you'd have to go looking for it. It appears to be in the process of being landscaped and it I hadn't read about it I wouldn't have known it was there.

Overall this site is ok. It could be really good. You're not going to like it if you like well ordered, quiet camping. If you're going with some friends or family or you're pretty chilled out with a live and let live attitude, this could be the one for you. We had a good time overall and I wouldn't rule out going back.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Birthdayboy60 7 reviews from this member

Hurst view is situated near to Lymington - a ideal stop over for the Isle of Wight Ferry. It is a friendly campsite, quite large with some big fixed units. There are 2 fields, one for tents without hookup and one for units with hook up. There are no marked pitches in the fields but there are also some specific hardstanding pitches.

Facilities are good with adequate clean toilets and showers and a small Shop and food takeaway (pizza, chips etc). The site overlooks the Solent (just) and there are some good walks nearby. We only stayed one night, but would have been happy to stay longer.

Previous     133 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Hampshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 14/10 to 19/10 NEC Birmingham
Back at the NEC Birmingham this autumn - we have 20 pairs of tickets up for grabs