Visitor Reviews - Red Squirrel Campsite

Red Squirrel Campsite
Leacantuim Farm
Glencoe
Argyll   (Browse area)
PH49 4HX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  5m

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  Motorhomes

Reviews:  72 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Agemmell 2 reviews from this member

Love it! What a lovely atmosphere, welcome and setting. In the evening all the campfires are lit and everyone is chatting. The pitches are spread throughout woodland areas which make the experience a lot more like wild camping. The facilities are spot on, and although there are a few 'rules' signs around, they are humorous and positive. We will be back x

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shanxpony 10 reviews from this member

Have used this site many times over the years and love it. The open fires give it a wild-camping feel. Facilities have been much improved in recent years, and the Clachaig Inn up the road has food and weekend entertainment in case you can't be bothered with the cooking duties.

The negatives are that it is renowned for its midges in summer, gets very crowded due to its popularity (as does the pub too these days), and I found the £10 price tag for one person a bit on the high side.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: SkyBlueCloud 2 reviews from this member

Great location and great people who run this site, I felt as if I have known them all my life, great for dog owners, but it could do with a extra shower and toilet block, it is spotles clean and at a good price it was only £15. 50 a night, if you just want to get away from it all this could be the one.

Reviewer: Blinxter 8 reviews from this member

Having read reviews I wasn't sure what to expect so pitched up in the far corner of the ultra quiet zone right by the river.

I had no issues with noise however it was a midweek stay and it did rain very hard at times keeping away the party people or at least dampening their spirits ;)

The site is picturesque, even breath-taking from a scenery perspective but does feel a little tacky win Hand painted signs and port-a-cabin facilities.

The facilities are very basic and for the price I would expect better considering cheaper sites with much much better facilities. The one thing though that all of those sites can not compete with though is the outstanding natural beauty.

You get the feeling that if the mountains were removed and the river was re-routed. This place wouldn't attract a single visitor, however that is never going to happen, I just wish that the owners would see the potential in creating a destination site rather than a one stop camping hop (they were quite surprised when I told them I was booking in for more than one night.

Everyone on the site seemed to want to find somewhere to charge something up which isn't very camping spirited I know but unfortunately is a symptom of a digital age in which we live. I honestly think investing in a number of EHU points around the site and charging a premium for these pitches would real dividends for the owners and attract a longer term visitor who in turn would then behave better than some of the guests mentioned I other reviews (so they weren't asked to leave early - on a 1 night stay this is no deterrent)

All in all, a very basic site set in an outstandingly beautiful location. I will visit agin but for the surroundings not for the amenities. I hope that the next time I visit I will have something else to return for that is actually within the sites control.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andy75 35 reviews from this member

I see this site has now eventually added new facilities which were 8-10 years overdue. This is my second review of this site five years on.

As always there's the superb family friendly pub/hotel a mile down the road, they have now laid a great forest path which keeps you alive with drunken people continuing to drive back from here despite the 10-minute walk. Glencoe village is walkable with a shop and post office.

I am a regular user here, 15-20 times in total, and without sounding like a killjoy I now think it's way past it's best, over commercial and uncontrolled.

Have to totally agree with Mosaic's review, despite the no noise after 11pm policy if it's maximum disturbance you're after then this is the place for you.

I first started using this place in 2004 when they only let half the amount of people on and were a little more selective like most large wilderness sites are nowadays. For an outdoor capital like Glencoe this felt more like an inner city site with lads in their 20-30's enjoying cans of lager, throwing rocks in the river and shouting across the site well past midnight. This site has literally become a free for all with no policing on arrival, no tent ticket nothing. In fact I could have easily sneaked in from the road without them knowing and fairly convinced a lot on here have done.

With this in my mind on arrival I chose the 'Ultra quiet zone' which have not used before and it worked fairly well, problem is it was that packed it was difficult to get on - maybe that tells you something. I am a part-time DJ in my personal life along side my huge passion for camping and travelling, noise therefore is very much part of my life but not here, there's a time and place.

Would I continue to return? Maybe on a weekday night out of season in the 'Ultra quiet zone'

Date of Visit: February 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sco2y 4 reviews from this member

This is an amazing place set among majestic mountains. I often come here with my wife or friends but, because I have 3 children (two of which are over the stipulated age of 12) it would cost nearly £40 a night to bring the whole family. As a result I often go elsewhere within the same vicinity for significantly less money when all I really want to do is come an stay here. I do not understand the thinking behind the children's prices only going to the 12 year mark. I guess they have their reasons.

The facilities are basic but this remains a brilliant site nonetheless.

Previous     72 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers