Visitor Reviews - Beaconsfield Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Shropshire > Site Reviews

Beaconsfield Farm
Upper Battlefield
Shrewsbury
Shropshire   (Browse area)
SY4 4AA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01939 210370

1m  1m

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Jacasino 2 reviews from this member

Spent a weekend here to celebrate my partners' birthday, this is a large well maintained site, like most sites in the UK it is expensive but far cheaper than Caravan Club sites and with at least comparable facilities.

This is a very regimented site and unfortunately there are lots of signs telling you what you cannot do but no real information about what you can do - this may make it seem rather unwelcoming and as a result there is no real 'holiday atmosphere'.

I am often surprised at the poor design and layout of motorhome waste water dumps and this one is not great but the large stone 'bollard' designed to stop anybody reversing too far onto the dump here surprised me, something more forgiving would be far more suitable surely.

Very, very clean facilities but it takes at least three pushes to get any warm water from the shower heads during which time you are glad that the shower cubicles are quite large, I am not too bothered about having to press the button to keep the water flowing but I am fed up with the eco warrior nonsense, especially when I watch gallons of cold water swilling down the plughole as I squeeze into the corner waiting for the arrival of the warm water - this is not the way to save the planet.

We ate in the restaurant, not cheap but I firmly believe that you get what you pay for, the food was good and the service was too, compares very well with good pub food though Hungry Horse or Table Table would be cheaper I am sure if that's your thing.

We chose to go into Shrewsbury by bus on Saturday morning and I do feel that this exemplifies how Beaconsfield could improve, the directions we were given in reception were best described as sketchy (I'm not sure whether you turn left or right at the end of the footpath), the footpath we were directed down was not signposted, slippery, muddy and overgrown in places, we had to jump large boggy mud puddles frequently - luckily we guessed right and eventually arrived at the bus stop - quite a long walk. Signs or printed directions would have been welcome. We returned by taxi - enough said.

The pool had a problem with the liner coming away and so we were allowed to swim free of charge, again very clean and tidy facilities.

In short, we felt that Beaconsfield is very nicely put together but it feels like it puts the business first and the customer (certainly the touring customer) comes trailing along behind, it just doesn't give a warm, welcoming feeling and that is a shame for such a nice place. If we wanted to visit Shrewsbury (a lovely town) again we would stay here again though.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Helenterry 11 reviews from this member

We chose this site as a stay over travelling back to the Midlands from Wales. We totally agree with other users that the prices are extortionate, the site is very well kept but very regimental, on arriving we were. Told to reverse in as all doors had to face the same way!

Shower area is spotless but there is no bench to place your belongings. I would not return to this site again, we were chatting to another camper who said that it cost him a lot of money after booking with all the extras. Including water and awning per night.

Plus the pool was freezing although the receptionist said it was 28 degrees!

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jjmac 2 reviews from this member

Very convenient for touring and visiting local places of interest. Beautiful site, immaculately kept. Very welcoming and accommodating. Lovely large, level pads with plenty of space between. Facilities great and well equipped. A great place to stay for a night or for a while. Clearly the owners take great pride in what they have. Love it.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: KatherineWeaver 1 review from this member

Just returned from our Easter break at Beaconsfield. Adult only is bliss!

Shocked to see negative reviews on here. Stayed on a fully serviced hard standing near the lake and it was idyllic!

The swimming pool and steam room was ideal as I am used to having my morning swim! It also meant that I could eat a guilt free pudding in the restaurant! The food there is excellent, my husband has travelled and eaten all over and said it was the best Fillet steak he had ever eaten. It isn't cheap. But with the quality of food and service it was more than worth it.

Used the free wi-fi in the coffee shop and found all the grounds and toilet block to be immaculate

There's a nice pub called the new inn in the village, worth popping in to.

We had a perfect break and I know that we will be becoming regulars, any excuse to return for a steak!

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Chispa 3 reviews from this member

This site has left us very disappointed. As others have said, tourer's feel a bit exploited. One of the big considerations for booking was the 'heated' swimming pool and steamroom. The pool was £3. 00 and it was too cold. £6.00 per day is too expensive. We went in and I was surprised at the price but we paid. We where soon out when I couldn't feel my feet. We went to the steam room which hadn't been turned on. My husband had to walk round dripping wet to find someone, he did turn it on and said it would take 7 minuets to warm up so we should go back in the pool. ! Instead, in an attempt to get warm we stood under the shower.

The disabled shower room did not have any heating on. I asked if it could be on as my Mother has severe arthritis and could not get cold they said yes we agreed a time and it didn't happen. I had to rush an elderly disabled lady as it was too cold. The wash basin and the hand drier are opposite sides of the room. Impossible for a person in a wheelchair. Shower chair was ideal but no where l to hang the towel for when you get out

The restaurant seemed a bit too pricey so we didn't go in so we can't comment on that.

The New Inn pub a mile away is an old fashioned local but the Sunday Lunch was amazing.

The washing up room was locked on Monday morning and by 9am there was a queue of 4 bowls outside.

Overall we won't be going back

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: ShaznCol 14 reviews from this member

Had a three night stay at Beaconsfield in order to visit Shrewsbury and surroundings before moving down to another site near Ludlow.

We booked with an open mind, aware of some of the less than glowing reviews on UKCampsite.co.uk.

The site was clearly very well maintained, with a lot of open aspects to our fully serviced pitch.

We found ourselves quite a distance from the very plush toilet / shower block and lamented the fact that we hadn't brought our bicycles, when we noticed on the site rules that cycling was prohibited.

Also on the sheet, we noted that we had been charged a £2. 50 fee for using a credit card to pay the £48 balance on arrival, the keys to the toilet block were subject to a £2 deposit each, day visitors were charged £3, swimming pool use was charged at £3 per person, per use and extended departures to 5pm (if available) would be charged £5.

Sadly, but unavoidably, this gave the impression that touring visitors were to be exploited to the full.

As a consequence, I doubt we would be rushing back in the near future.

We did not visit the restaurant on site, as opening times aside, we were of an opinion that the prices were a little high.

There were no pubs within a reasonable walking distance, however we found the 'Two Henrys' off the A49 roundabout to be quite nice. Park and Ride close by with retail park next door.

Upper Battlefield visitor centre and Farm Shop worth a look around.

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Shropshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCampsite.co.uk Advent Calendar