Visitor Reviews - Machrihanish Caravan And Camping Park

East Trodigal
Machrihanish
Campbeltown
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA28 6PT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   5m

Pitches: 50 pitches and Wigwams for Hire from 10 per night
Open: Feb Till Oct And Dec

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  50 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Raysmiffy 3 reviews from this member

I travelled 100 miles to get here after phoning up to confirm that I would have enough space for a large tent and trailer.

'Oh yes, no problem, we have plenty of room, no booking necessary' says the guy on the phone quite cheerily. So we get there after a three hour journey to find that we had about three spaces to choose from. The other two were filled within an hour of arriving. So sheer luck then that I managed to pitch.

Arriving at the gates I had to maneuver around potholes that were big enough to damage a caravan, car or trailer even at crawling speed, or at least puncture a tyre. Not good when you are in one of the most remote places in Scotland. Once past that obstacle you are then greeted with a very grubby looking wee site that looks like it was last updated in the 70's.

But, I am open minded enough to realise that some sites may have that as part of their charm. As long as the people that run the site do the best with what they have and manage it properly.

So here goes, and remember this is just my opinion.

1: Everyone is crammed in like sardines. For me, this leads to a very uncomfortable experience, as it feels like all campers are encroaching on each others space. 'Gold fish bowl' I think is the term. Kids running and hurdling over the guys. Being in a tent next to a bunch of caravans, my wife and I were also victims of caravan snobs.

2: We pitched next to a crazy golf section. But kids being kids, I had to check a bunch of them practicing their driving skills, with golf balls wildly careering dangerously next to cars and caravans. Next to that is the favoured area for football. So I had to check them once on the first day for the ball hitting my car and the next for the same. It's a big full weight leather ball too, supplied by the site. EH! Also the wardens shack looks out onto this area. Isn't it the norm that campsites have rules against football next to cars and caravans?

3: The toilets are ridiculous. One shower and toilet(per gender) for a cramped site. But unbelievably that one toilet had no paper for 4 hours. NO EXCUSE! and is the cardinal sin for me in any site.

4: There does not seem to be deadline time rule for noise as the football(screaming and shouting) and the crazy golf (banging as it hits the obstacles) went on until midnight.

5: The second day when I went out to check the kids for the football hitting my car again, I was approached by the caravan snobs next to me and was accused of bullying their kid. After pointing out that I did not even know who their kid was and that I was not happy with his aggressive tone, the very irate guy suggested that I speak with the warden, so I did.

The warden then proceeded to very patronizingly suggest that if I did not like it then I could re-pitch.

One of the worst camping experiences I have ever had and after two days, I could not wait to leave.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jingleman 2 reviews from this member

We had a couple of nights at this large site. The pitches are big and there is plenty of room. The electricity works well, the toilet blocks are basic and draughty but do the job ok. The staff are very helpful and there is a wee shop and even mini golf to keep the kids amused. On the minus points, a lax attitude to dogs means yapping, pooping canines having a free reign to do what dogs dooh and the howling wind that blasts this flat site and very few hard standings. It's good value for money though and considering the lack of competition they are providing all the necessities very well.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: SMEESH 4 reviews from this member

Just returned after a 3 night stay and will definitely be back. Been going to Kintyre for the last 30 years but had never used this site until now. Arrived early evening for 3 nights and had the Sea View pitch area to myself all weekend.

Site looked a little tired to me but all clean and tidy. Toilet's where a little dated but clean with hot showers. Small shop at reception with very basic supplies. Pitches are massive with plenty of room and great drainage. My only neighbours were the rabbits that patrol the pitches daily. Would think twice in erecting an awning to be honest as the breeze is straight off the shore and can get quite blustery.

Definitely recommend this site especially if you are into your golf as Machrihanish is one of the best links course in the UK. Wee pub 10 minute walk from the site that does great food and drink but at city prices.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fw190 5 reviews from this member

Good basic site, nice and flat. Mix of tents, caravans, glamping bell tents and statics. Showers and facilities are ok, nothing special. Small shop on site. Good location for golf. Local pub is friendly and serves usual grub. Local beach is amazing, huge stretch of yellow sand and seals off shore. Recommended.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Ruswill 3 reviews from this member

Just had a couple of nights on this site, what a lovely site got a pitch overlooking the golf course looking out to sea, great watching the sun go down. Not set up for motor homes we managed, we used our whale to put water on board and a water container to get rid of it. Drove down to Southend what a lovely spot go through the village and there is a car park you can stop at over looking the sea you could wild camp there. We could not get to the light house as our camper is to big, next time. We will be back. Try going over on the ferry its great then we drove back round to Loch Lomand good trip.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: QLANE 1 review from this member

Stayed in June - originally we were going to stay in a static caravan but there was a bell tent available so decided, after a bit of thought, to go for a bit of 'glamping'. Really glad we did! You get a proper bed, nice bedclothes, a fridge, an iPod dock and the most amazing view to Jura. It certainly wasn't the uncomfortable type of camping in tents that I remember from years ago. Fab.

Previous     50 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win an OLPRO 'POP' Quick Erect 2 Berth Tent Win a Dog Bag Pop Up Fabric Kennel

UKCS Meet Autumn Motorhome & Caravan Show, Newark - 2nd to 4th September
Weekend Campers and day visitors will see a huge range of motorhomes, caravans, as well as accessories and consumables

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016