Visitor Reviews - Machrihanish Caravan And Camping Park

East Trodigal
Machrihanish
Campbeltown
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA28 6PT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   5m

Pitches: 50 pitches and Wigwams for Hire from 10 per night
Open: Feb Till Oct And Dec

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  55 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Ficklejade 9 reviews from this member

I stayed here for an event with friends and we had one of their brand new statics designed for six people comprising a double e/s and two twins plus separate shower, wash-basin and loo. The twins are a bit cramped! The kitchen area was fine, although could be a bit better equipped; lounge area fine and you can just fit six around the table. Bedding and towels provided. You can adjust the heating and the hot water supply was good. There's also a good fridge and freezer.

The site entrance is not prepossessing though the horrendous potholes encountered in previous visits have been filled in. The friendliness and helpfulness of the wardens, though, is amongst the best I've ever experienced.

We did feel the cost for a three night hire was a bit steep, but clearly they've been investing in the site (did spot a new loo block for campers) and have to get some revenue in.

Although this part of Kintyre is a long haul for many, if you take time to do your research, there's plenty to see. I don't do golf, but the site's next door to Machrihanish golf course. You can have an amazing walk to the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse and views over to Northern Ireland and north-west to Islay, Gigha and Jura. There's boat trips and surfing, Davaar Island and South End plus the east coast up towards Carradale is very different. Scenery is great and, from someone interested in geology, it's fascinating. There's a visitor information centre on the pier at Campbeltown, with adjacent parking. The site is also almost adjacent to Machrihanish airport, which was one of the alternative landing sites in an emergency for the Space Shuttle. You aren't allowed on it and the airport is now only used by small domestic scheduled flights but you can catch a glimpse of it if you take the Wind Towers single track road. No parking mind!

Plenty of takeaways, a decent Co-op in Campbeltown and fuel prices are roughly average for this part of the world. The Nineteenth Hole pub is about half a mile down the road from the site and in three years, I've never had a poor meal - it's reasonably priced but book it.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Fred Stubber 8 reviews from this member

This site has puzzling topography until you realise it is built on the site of a disused coal mine. At least that's what a local guy told me. Anyway, you can't tell; it's a very pleasant location.

The best touring pitches are on a bit of high ground on the left at the back as you go in. They are extremely spacious and have a decent view. However they're a long way from the office where the wifi antenna is, so we found the wifi signal very weak. It worked on the laptop but hardly at all on the phones.

There's a lovely new toilet block, built in a mobile unit with a veranda for access. There are steps upto this veranda which means that the disabled who can't manage four steps up have to use the disabled facility, which is much inferior.

I had cause to ring the mobile number at 8pm ('We always answer') but there was in fact no answer

The tap I used was the domestic chrome type with no thread to take a hose connection. This is annoying when you fill using a hose. I have one of the 'fit anything' rubber fitments but it kept slipping off. Proper outdoor taps would be nice.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Photolady 4 reviews from this member

The site has a rather tatty entrance, but the warden came very quickly and was very friendly and helpful.

He suggested a pitch with a view and we settled in. The most noticeable aspect of the site was the overwhelming smell of cow manure which permeated everything including the inside of the van. The site is quite exposed as the land around is flat so it can be quite windy. The toilet block is new and has 6 cabins each of which has a shower, toilet and wash basin. I tried the shower in the morning and found it unsatisfactory for the following reasons: You have to press a button every 10 seconds to get any water, the water ran hot and cold and the light in the cabin went off as soon as I entered the shower and stayed off. It was all very clean.

If you like to play golf then it is a very convenient site right next to the golf course. It wasn't of a standard that suits me so we moved on.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Wulster 17 reviews from this member

Spent two nights here in early October. Had a really nice time. Relatively small site, mostly for tourers, motorhomes and tents, but a number of statics and five pods. Location is excellent, five miles from Campbelltown and a five minute walk from the small village of Machrihanish and the fabulous beach that goes for miles.

Very friendly staff. Great views over the golf course to the sea and the islands of Islay and Jura.

Only issues was the toilets / showers. Very functional, but could do with a bit of a revamp.

Regular buses go past the site, so if you want to head into Campbelltown, pretty easy.

Very enjoyably and relaxing stay.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Piggle28 23 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 1 night in a motorhome, met by a very friendly warden who checked us in and showed us to our pitch which was overlooking the fields and sea, toilets and showers were OK, there must be more than one block as ours had 3 toilets and 2 showers and I think we're just for our field. Showers were huge if a bit chilly but once under the water were fine. Had been recommended a tea shop in southport and the beach by the warden so visited in the afternoon, amazing cakes and carry on on the road passed another campsite and you will come to the most amazing sandy beach where we sat and watched Gannets diving for their lunch. Utter silence at night so a good nights sleep was had. Would visit again.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Raysmiffy 9 reviews from this member

I travelled 100 miles to get here after phoning up to confirm that I would have enough space for a large tent and trailer.

'Oh yes, no problem, we have plenty of room, no booking necessary' says the guy on the phone quite cheerily. So we get there after a three hour journey to find that we had about three spaces to choose from. The other two were filled within an hour of arriving. So sheer luck then that I managed to pitch.

Arriving at the gates I had to maneuver around potholes that were big enough to damage a caravan, car or trailer even at crawling speed, or at least puncture a tyre. Not good when you are in one of the most remote places in Scotland. Once past that obstacle you are then greeted with a very grubby looking wee site that looks like it was last updated in the 70's.

But, I am open minded enough to realise that some sites may have that as part of their charm. As long as the people that run the site do the best with what they have and manage it properly.

So here goes, and remember this is just my opinion.

1: Everyone is crammed in like sardines. For me, this leads to a very uncomfortable experience, as it feels like all campers are encroaching on each others space. 'Gold fish bowl' I think is the term. Kids running and hurdling over the guys. Being in a tent next to a bunch of caravans, my wife and I were also victims of caravan snobs.

2: We pitched next to a crazy golf section. But kids being kids, I had to check a bunch of them practicing their driving skills, with golf balls wildly careering dangerously next to cars and caravans. Next to that is the favoured area for football. So I had to check them once on the first day for the ball hitting my car and the next for the same. It's a big full weight leather ball too, supplied by the site. EH! Also the wardens shack looks out onto this area. Isn't it the norm that campsites have rules against football next to cars and caravans?

3: The toilets are ridiculous. One shower and toilet(per gender) for a cramped site. But unbelievably that one toilet had no paper for 4 hours. NO EXCUSE! and is the cardinal sin for me in any site.

4: There does not seem to be deadline time rule for noise as the football(screaming and shouting) and the crazy golf (banging as it hits the obstacles) went on until midnight.

5: The second day when I went out to check the kids for the football hitting my car again, I was approached by the caravan snobs next to me and was accused of bullying their kid. After pointing out that I did not even know who their kid was and that I was not happy with his aggressive tone, the very irate guy suggested that I speak with the warden, so I did.

The warden then proceeded to very patronizingly suggest that if I did not like it then I could re-pitch.

One of the worst camping experiences I have ever had and after two days, I could not wait to leave.

Previous     55 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 120 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 500!
Open Today's Window