Visitor Reviews - Port Ban Holiday Park

Port Ban Holiday Park
Kilberry
Tarbert
Argyll   (Browse area)
PA29 6YD   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  29 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Reviewer: Cooki01 3 reviews from this member

This campsite is set in stunning scenery. It is quite remote, 14 miles from nearest shop(the site has a shop with basics). The site consists mainly of static caravans with a field for tents and motor homes. The camping field has about 30 pitches all clearly marked out. For me this was the only downside. The pitches were very close together BUT the campsite operates a strict policy of quiet after 11pm and silence after 12pm. It was the quietest campsite I've ever stayed on. The toilet block has very recently been up dated and has bathroom fixtures and fittings that you would usually find in a bathroom showroom. Very nice. However facilities only cleaned once a day but saying that the ladies was never dirty or out of loo roll which was not my son and husbands experience of the gents. Alcohol consumption is allowed on the site but you are not allowed to wander around drinking and you are asked to not swear either (probably why it was so quiet). There was a kids club organised in the morning and an activity in the evening such as a bonfire on the beach or midnight walk. There were lots of families about and the kids had lots of freedom. The camping field is literally a few feet from the beach and the scenery is stunning, overlooking Jura and Islay.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bouzoukigirl 9 reviews from this member

This campsite is in a most beautiful place. It caters mostly for statics. It has a campers field for tents. Touring vans only have a few spaces so are soon booked up. Where I was, there were spaces for only four vans or large tents - although they were in a great place by the beach. I noticed the odd other tourer dotted about here and there but they looked as if they were there on a seasonal basis.

Lots of positives - the area is very picturesque and peaceful; there are daily activities set up by the owners for kids and adults; the cafe and bar looked good although I didn't use them; the shop provides essentials and this is very useful as there are no shops within 14 miles.

The main negative is that tourers (and tenters) basics are not well provided for. The chemical toilet emptying site was blocked and dirty; the area where you dispose of 'grey' water didn't have any working taps that you could wash the container after emptying. The toilet/shower area (can't comment on men's) was just about OK

Would I return? Probably not unless I was sure that basics for tourers and tenters was a whole lot better.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kazloo 9 reviews from this member

Reviewing this site for the second time. Once again we love the site but the toilets and showers are poor. We were there for 3 days and the toilets were not cleaned once. This was proven by the soiled toilet paper which remained on the floor throughout our visit.

Great site, great location but fails on creature comforts. Nice walking in a lovely area. Be prepared for the single track 14 mile drive however deer and seal can be viewed in the wild during this.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: SusanMcT 10 reviews from this member

We've just returned from our second holiday at Portban. We had pre booked our pitch (pitch number 18) which had an electric hook up and brilliant views across to the the Isle of Jura. We were pleased to see that the pitches are now clearly marked out (we paid extra for a 'large' pitch as our tent is pretty big). Really glad we had booked as it was torrential rain on leaving home and we almost changed our mind about going at all. SO glad we went though.

The campsite itself is pretty basic but the views are to die for. The toilet block is basic and only cleaned once a day. It was very quiet when we were there, (only 3-4 tents) probably because the weather was putting people off. However we were lucky and only had one day of showers.

Most nights we had a fire on the beach (there was even a pile of wood provided this time). Shop has the basics, but no alcohol so bring your own.

The site is a Christian site however there is no pressure to join in. They have recently begun to do curry nights on a Saturday. We missed this but I heard it had been good food.

We had a nice day out to Tarbert, nice fish and chips at the harbour. Highly recommend the site if you want peace and quiet in stunning scenery. In fact I am almost reluctant to post such a glowing review as this site is such a wee gem!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Trailio 1 review from this member

Just back from a very enjoyable 2 nights at Port Ban. To be honest it was our 3rd choice site after finding out the others were fully booked but it was a blessing in disguise at this site was perfect.

There is a small toilet block with free showers in the camping field it was clean and adequate for our requirements. Further into the caravan site there was also a bigger toilet/shower with laundry block but we never needed to use it.

When we booked we were warned the site would be very busy and not to expect a peaceful weekend but in our opinion the site was not overbooked and where we were pitched we didn't hear much from the other campers. As we have young children we settled down quite early in the evening and were never disturbed once by other campers. There was a group of teenagers directly next to us and although we feared the worse but they never bothered us once. They had a campfire on the beach at night and we could hear someone distantly playing the guitar but it was actually very pleasant and did not disturb us at all

The tent area is at the end of a dirt path and almost separate from the static caravans. The site is flat and ran right onto a sandy beach with rocks at either side. The kids loved playing on the beach and exploring the the rocks and rock pools left when the tide went out. There is also a play park area with football pitch in the caravan area which the kids also loved playing on.

As we were only there for a short time we didn't leave the site once so can't comment on the surrounding area. There is a small shop on site which caters for essentials such as bread, milk etc. It's worth pointing out that the nearest supermarket quite a long drive away but fortunately we brought all the supplies we needed for 2 nights.

All in all the site was everything we needed and more and would recommend it particularly for families. We will definitely be back.

P.S. The only reason I have not given 10/10 for child friendliness is because of the rocks at the beach, we couldn't have left our kids unsupervised for obvious reasons (our youngest is 3 years old) but other than that it was perfect

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Misschickabee 2 reviews from this member

We stayed at this site for 6 nights, following a 5 night stay at Muasdale (separate review). We were a bit worried about getting to the site with our tourer due it being on a narrow single track road, however there are plenty of passing places and the road is very quiet. It is set in a beautiful beachfront location, with mostly static vans and a beachfront spot for tourers. We only saw one other tourer arrive whilst we were here, but there were lots of motor homes coming and going and moving around, often quite late at night.

One of the electric points wasn't working, leaving only the hookups on ours operational. This also meant the motor homes arriving were trying to shoe horn themselves in and around where we were (the 6 meter rule between units was non existent!). We also felt there wasn't much of a welcome to the site, in comparison to other places we have stayed. For instance the reception seemed confused at our arrival, even though we had the booking sheet, and there was no one there to show us to our pitch. I think this is probably more common at caravan club sites and less so at holiday parks where the focus tends to be on the static vans.

The shop stocks some essential items, but watch out for surpassed expiry dates. One thing I am going to rave about is their new Chef, who cooked some of exceptional food; the fish cakes were easily the nicest I have ever tasted! I didn't expect to find this at the site and it definitely encouraged us to eat there (coffee was also good).

I liked the TV lounge, which had a good stock of some Disney classics and the fact that they were all videos gave it a nice 'back to basics' feel. The whole place could use some serious decluttering and the games room has become neglected over the years. The outside facilities (tennis court, pitch and put, bowling) were all in good condition and the children's play park was exceptional.

You are able to give a donation and hire a kayak, although the rules surrounding this were a bit unclear to us. The site owner shouted at me whilst out on the water 'did you ask permission to use it?' which I found very humiliating! I had to shout back and tell him we were given permission yesterday and he replied, 'yes yesterday, not today. '. I just found it quite demeaning, like my integrity was being questioned, and I sheepishly had to paddle back to shore. I was even more annoyed when a man in a neighbouring van was told he could just take the equipment for the week. I ended up sitting from my van watching him out on the water and feeling rather bitter about the whole thing. I just think they could do with tightening up on the rules so people know where they stand, as I would never have gone out had I thought I wasn't supposed to.

The shower block was ideal, good strong showers and nice big sinks (and a baby change). I'm not sure if it had been recently refurbished, but I really liked the combination of old and new. The laundry was well used by us, but I thought 3 per wash was a bit pricey, although the machines do hold a lot.

There is a nice walk along the shore that takes you into Crear estate, and there are plenty of dog bins to save you carrying your bag home with you. Our fellow campers were all very nice and our little girl often had other children to play with. I felt comfortable letting her out to play on her own whilst watching from a distance (she is just about to turn 3). Had she been older and perhaps going off by herself I would have spoken to the site employee (possibly the manager) who failed to observe the site speed limit of 10mph when driving around in his 4x4, as I would have been concerned for her safety.

I would like to finish on a positive note as all in all this is a lovely site with glorious sea views and lots of activities to keep you busy. The food and coffee puts it higher on my list of visited destinations, and I hope they capitalise on this as I think it could really put the site on the map!

Previous     29 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!